Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Biden now leads in Michigan.

We’re almost there boys.
    Still 5% of the vote left and he only has a 18,000 vote advantage.

This is still going to be fought in the Courts, make no mistake.

Ultimate Member

It’s funny, if they stop counting the votes now...Biden wins.

I guess Trump will now want every single vote counted.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Still 5% of the vote left and he only has a 18,000 vote advantage.

This is still going to be fought in the Courts, make no mistake.
    Definitely.

If the winning margin is less than 1%, that’s ground for a recount.

But for those of us that were up most of the night, the turnaround has been amazing.

Yea Trump isn't gong to take a potential defeat with grace and dignity. If he loses, he will be tweeting non stop an acting like a immature kid. It would be funny but you remember the dude is in his 70's and is the president of the united states...…….

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Definitely.

If the winning margin is less than 1%, that’s ground for a recount.

But for those of us that were up most of the night, the turnaround has been amazing.
    Well, Biden also needs to maintain his lead in Nevada, which still seems highly unlikely to me, OR he needs to completely flip Pennsylvania. Otherwise neither will have enough for the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    Yea Trump isn't gong to take a potential defeat with grace and dignity. If he loses, he will be tweeting non stop an acting like a immature kid. It would be funny but you remember the dude is in his 70's and is the president of the united states...…….
    20 years ago the same thing could have been said about Al Gore & the Democrats when they did everything they could to flip Florida for him. We just didn't have social media back then to watch it play out on a more personal level.

Not defending Trump, mind you. Just pointing out how dirty politics are.

The math is looking strongly in favor of Biden right now. With only mail in votes being counted now which strongly favor Biden. He’s looking like he can hold on in Michigan and Wisconsin. Nevada should not be an issue based on the votes still out there. I’d rather he were not this close in those states, but it looks like a strong chance to break in his favor.

BANNED

It's not that surprising. Trump appeals to a sect of Americans that had largely been ignored by both Democrats and Republicans for many years. And again, I think this says more about how people feel about Biden versus how they feel about Trump.
    I don't know what country you've been living in all of these years, those rural heartland white working class folks have been all that anyone from either party has ever been able to talk about for as long as I've been paying attention to politics. Never mind that Trump voters are for the most part relatively affluent suburbanites, remember that just because someone walks and talks like an unsophisticated slob doesn't mean that they're actually struggling, and that the working class in America is extremely diverse and consists largely of immigrants, most of whom can't even vote. Of course this isn't to say that there aren't some impoverished whites who are struggling through real problems, but why is it that their issues get so much attention while the rest of us are always completely ignored and just told to suck it up and pull ourselves up by our bootstraps?

Well, Biden also needs to maintain his lead in Nevada, which still seems highly unlikely to me, OR he needs to completely flip Pennsylvania. Otherwise neither will have enough for the majority.
    The outstanding ballots in Nevada are expected to grow Biden's lead, though it's much closer than it should be.

Biden is being predicted (based on what we know about the breakdown in mail in voters and voting patterns) to win Pennsylvania by about 400k. I expect it will be closer than that, but he should still take it.

Extraordinary Member

It's not that surprising. Trump appeals to a sect of Americans that had largely been ignored by both Democrats and Republicans for many years. And again, I think this says more about how people feel about Biden versus how they feel about Trump.
    It’s a mix of things. There’s definitely a group in this country that felt left behind and told to suck it up while both parties focused on other demographics. Then there’s quite frankly a lot of people who aren’t effected by most political issues and their experience with Trump is “my life got better I made more money” and view the pandemic as a freak show occurrence that everyone got unlucky with. Then you have the fact that Biden really wasn’t an exciting candidate nor did he have a popular platform. And yes on top of that there are racists who came out for the dog whistles. But like last time it’s a confluence of factors. It should be concerning to Democrats that they won more of the white vote but took some real hits in the minority vote compared to last time. That seems like a divide that they have to figure out how to get one without damaging the other. Florida was supposed to put Biden over the top. Instead Cubans heavily came out against him and he need not target them as part of his outreach. Keep in mind this is also a state that just voted for a $15 minimum wage by over 20 points. So there are popular Democratic ideas there to capitalize on, Biden just didn’t resonate.

I think people just want an easy answer with Trump because it gets them to just find an evil other to blame instead of looking in the mirror to see where they came up short. Which is something Democrat’s refused to do in 2016. Biden should narrowly win at this point but it should be concerning that the VP of a very popular President barely eeked out a win against trump who had a lot going against him. Now Biden (god willing nothing crazy happens) is going to spend 4 years fighting the Senate, dealing with an economic and health disaster. He likely will not get anything meaningful done and it’s hard to see a path where a politician that already lacked enthusiasm is going to be in a strong position for 2024. That also bodes poorly for the theory of Harris taking the reigns.

Everyone is going to need to do a lot of reflection after this

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by KOSLOX View Post
    The people in my life that have told me slavery is in the past and to get over it have all tended to have confederate flags and say dumb **** like the south will rise again.
    Quoted for truth.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    I don't know what country you've been living in all of these years, those rural heartland white working class folks have been all that anyone from either party has ever been able to talk about for as long as I've been paying attention to politics. Never mind that Trump voters are for the most part relatively affluent suburbanites, remember that just because someone walks and talks like an unsophisticated slob doesn't mean that they're actually struggling, and that the working class in America is extremely diverse and consists largely of immigrants, most of whom can't even vote. Of course this isn't to say that there aren't some impoverished whites who are struggling through real problems, but why is it that their issues get so much attention while the rest of us are always completely ignored and just told to suck it up and pull ourselves up by our bootstraps?
    The sect to which I was referring are the extreme right, paranoid, "all non-Americans are out to get us" sect.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    We could at least tell them to stop using it for political purposes though, such as slaughtering Palestinians.
    Seriously. They have a right to be angry about it, but not at the people who didn't actually commit the crimes

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    It’s a mix of things. There’s definitely a group in this country that felt left behind and told to suck it up while both parties focused on other demographics. Then there’s quite frankly a lot of people who aren’t effected by most political issues and their experience with Trump is “my life got better I made more money” and view the pandemic as a freak show occurrence that everyone got unlucky with. Then you have the fact that Biden really wasn’t an exciting candidate nor did he have a popular platform. And yes on top of that there are racists who came out for the dog whistles. But like last time it’s a confluence of factors. It should be concerning to Democrats that they won more of the white vote but took some real hits in the minority vote compared to last time. That seems like a divide that they have to figure out how to get one without damaging the other. Florida was supposed to put Biden over the top. Instead Cubans heavily came out against him and he need not target them as part of his outreach. Keep in mind this is also a state that just voted for a $15 minimum wage by over 20 points. So there are popular Democratic ideas there to capitalize on, Biden just didn’t resonate.

I think people just want an easy answer with Trump because it gets them to just find an evil other to blame instead of looking in the mirror to see where they came up short. Which is something Democrat’s refused to do in 2016. Biden should narrowly win at this point but it should be concerning that the VP of a very popular President barely eeked out a win against trump who had a lot going against him. Now Biden (god willing nothing crazy happens) is going to spend 4 years fighting the Senate, dealing with an economic and health disaster. He likely will not get anything meaningful done and it’s hard to see a path where a politician that already lacked enthusiasm is going to be in a strong position for 2024. That also bodes poorly for the theory of Harris taking the reigns.

Everyone is going to need to do a lot of reflection after this
    With Florida, I think that Biden's hard line stance with how he was going to handle Covid-19 on a national level probably cost him that state. Florida has defied all recommendations and protocols so having a President that would force that on them was likely very unappealing.

BANNED

The sect to which I was referring are the extreme right, paranoid, "all non-Americans are out to get us" sect.
    If the last four years have taught us anything, it's that this is not such an extreme position in this country. If you were ask people whether they thought the Chinese were all out to steal our jobs, or that Mexicans were all rapists and criminals, or that Middle Easterners were all terrorist fanatics, or that Africans were all disease ridden charity cases, then yeah maybe the majority of people wouldn't necessarily come out and say it, but they'd definitely be thinking it, and they'd vote for policies that harmed these people for the benefit of honest, hard working, white Americans. This is by no means a fringe position in our politics and never has been. The only difference in the Trump era is that people are a lot more comfortable expressing these views openly rather than resorting to dog whistles.