Page 101 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 51919798991001011021031041051111512016011101 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 75153

Screenshot_2020-05-25 Clyde Haberman on Twitter He can’t get even a Memorial Day greeting right.jpg

He can’t get even a Memorial Day greeting right. It’s a day dedicated to honoring and mourning the nation’s war dead. There’s nothing happy about it.
    Among his other ample flaws, the guy is simply a dope.
    Twitter Link
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I suspect that not all private schools teach hate.
    Enough of them do, and the reason most private schools are private is so that they can get around laws requiring basic decency.

And again, why should I pay for anyone to learn religion?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Enough of them do, and the reason most private schools are private is so that they can get around laws requiring basic decency.
    I assume you mean American religious private schools?
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Well there is something to be said for creating an academic environment where doing well, and good grades is encouraged, rather than shamed by the student body. One major advantage (in the UK, at-least) of private schools is you can kick out the trouble pupils very easily. In state schools... it is NOT easy, and takes up so much time for the teachers and senior staff.
    I'm having trouble seeing the benefit of a system that makes it easier for schools to kick out students. I see the potential for abuse by administrators whose main focus is increasing their overall academic scores over serving students who may require more attention or a unique educational strategy. They're being paid to educate all of their students, not just the ones who are easier to deal with.

Aside: Mets, I'm curious as to whether you teach for a public or private school?
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 05-25-2020 at 08:44 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    No, not a dope, he’s just insensitive.
    Someone did post an article that mentioned Obama saying the same phrase...after boarding a bus, in the rain, to speak with family members of those buried in the cemetery after the services were washed out due to a heavy downpour.

So, yeah, the phrase is inappropriate, but the context - Trump's lazy tweet versus Obama's willingness to get soaked just so that he could speak with those on the bus, is what makes the difference.

CDC warns of aggressive cannibal rats facing shortage of garbage to eat

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has warned of “unusual or aggressive” behavior in American rats as a consequence of more than two months of human lockdown for city-dwelling rodents who now find themselves unable to dine out on restaurant waste, street garbage and other food sources.

Last month, according to the national health body, dumpster-diving rats were observed resorting to open warfare, cannibalism and eating their young in the wake of urban shutdowns.

“Community-wide closures have led to a decrease in food available to rodents, especially in dense commercial areas,” the CDC said in recently updated rodent-control guidelines.

“Some jurisdictions have reported an increase in rodent activity as rodents search for new sources of food. Environmental health and rodent control programs may see an increase in service requests related to rodents and reports of unusual or aggressive rodent behavior.”

Elevated levels of rat aggression has been observed in New York, where there are increased reports of cannibalism and infanticide, and New Orleans, where rat behavior was caught on CCTV.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

European perspective:
    That should not be a big deal, but I keep seeing right wing social media to use it to distract from Trump.

It's been stipulated that people are only very contagious a few days before symptoms show, and during the first few day with symptoms. These were recovering patients. As with other viral diseases (HIV, hepatitis, syphilis) the biggest risk are the people who do NOT know for sure they are infected. Nursing homes, good nursing homes should be able to separate these patients properly, which frees up desperately needed space in hospitals.

You may notice that the article you linked to does not quote scientists, just relatives, attorneys and lobbyists.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Out of curiosity, has there been a discussion about Tara Reades Perjury situation where she lied about her degree to be an expert witness and now 20 cases are up for review in regard to domestic abuse. It was a small thing on CNN but NYTs followed it up with the school and the chancellor of Antioch college.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Out of curiosity, has there been a discussion about Tara Reades Perjury situation where she lied about her degree to be an expert witness and now 20 cases are up for review in regard to domestic abuse. It was a small thing on CNN but NYTs followed it up with the school and the chancellor of Antioch college.
    We briefly filed it under "well, that puts that smear to bed for good."
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    European perspective:
    That should not be a big deal, but I keep seeing right wing social media to use it to distract from Trump.

It's been stipulated that people are only very contagious a few days before symptoms show, and during the first few day with symptoms. These were recovering patients. As with other viral diseases (HIV, hepatitis, syphilis) the biggest risk are the people who do NOT know for sure they are infected. Nursing homes, good nursing homes should be able to separate these patients properly, which frees up desperately needed space in hospitals.

You may notice that the article you linked to does not quote scientists, just relatives, attorneys and lobbyists.
    It's yet another thing in just how bad Cuomo has handled things in New York - the state as a whole has over 23000 dead (more than the next 3 worst off states combined), the city alone over 16000. That's bad enough to make them the 6th and 7th worst countries for deaths (like how California has an economy bigger than most countries). Driven by three things - Trump's terrible response on a nationwide level, Cuomo making bad decisions on his own, and his inability to put aside his feud with the mayor of NYC long enough to coordinate a proper response.

I blame Trump first, but for New York I blame Cuomo second.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I'm having trouble seeing the benefit of a system that makes it easier for schools to kick out students. I see the potential for abuse by administrators whose main focus is increasing their overall academic scores over serving students who may require more attention or a unique educational strategy. They're being paid to educate all of their students, not just the ones who are easier to deal with.

Aside: Mets, I'm curious as to whether you teach for a public or private school?
    Public school.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

And again, why should I pay for anyone to learn religion?
    They presumably learn other things as well.

Granted, that gets to a different argument about whether private schools should get funding under ordinary circumstances.

These are generally not ordinary circumstances. The government mandated the shutdown of much of the country, including religious schools, as part of a largely successful effort to limit the spread of COVID-19. The religious schools did their part, and there is the argument that they should not suffer financial consequences as a result, and that this is not the time for culture wars about alternatives to public schools.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    It's yet another thing in just how bad Cuomo has handled things in New York - the state as a whole has over 23000 dead (more than the next 3 worst off states combined), the city alone over 16000. That's bad enough to make them the 6th and 7th worst countries for deaths (like how California has an economy bigger than most countries). Driven by three things - Trump's terrible response on a nationwide level, Cuomo making bad decisions on his own, and his inability to put aside his feud with the mayor of NYC long enough to coordinate a proper response.

I blame Trump first, but for New York I blame Cuomo second.
    Why do you bother to quote my post in your reply if you ignore every single thing I wrote?

I am firmly of the opinion that it was not a bad policy, it was just bad optics and it should have been communicated better. The person who said that 5000 people died because of this pulled that number out of his arschloch.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Why do you bother to quote my post in your reply if you ignore every single thing I wrote?
    Probably because you tried to refute a point I never made? Or that you cherry picked one link and ignored all the rest? Pot, meet kettle.
    Dark does not mean deep.