Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    What about Tom Cotton? He's been talked up as a POTUS candidate for the right, for some time now? Granted the dude looks a little creepy and he has really extreme political views.
    He's also a chicken fucker, so he would definitely fit the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Not sure, but it is mildly encouraging to see Graham take a step back from "Rodeo Clown..." territory.
    The guy is full of ****. Just a couple days ago he gave money to the defense fund. Now he is going on about how Trump is being harmful. I dont think he believes Trump is being harmful or at least he does not care. He gave money to the defense fund when it seemed like the popular thing to with Trump because it seemed like he had a slight chance.

Now he is back tracking that because he sees there is no chance and his other GOP party members are calling Trump out. The only reason he is calling Trump out is so that he can somehow try and remain relevant in his own party. If the others were agreeing with Trump he would be right there with them.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Yeah but I feel like if Cotton was the GOP nominee he'd make for a pretty easy target for all sorts of attacks, particularly to try and paint the entire party with his extreme views, and he doesn't quite have that Teflon Don quality that Trump has.
    Everyone assumed that Trump was an easy candidate to defeat in 2016, and he proved not to be. And the GOP doesn't mind how extreme the "libs" paint them as.

I mean remember that Reagan was a very extreme candidate in 1980 and Jimmy Carter repeatedly painted him as a crazy extremist (which to be fair he absolutely was) but Reagan dodged that.

Tagging someone as extremist can play a bit like how Trumpworld painted Biden as senile and stuttering and incapable of debating, lowering expectations to such an extent that when the debates came, and Biden held his ground, their argument was lost. And even then, the idea that Biden was a bad debater was false. He eviscerated Paul Ryan in 2012, and stared down Sarah Palin and retained his dignity. Palin being a proto-Trump figure herself.

The way Pete Buttigieg eviscerates right-wing talking points on Fox News is a good model on how to eviscerate absurd conservative ideas.

Astonishing Member

My point is it's way too early to start thinking about 2024 or know how it's going to be.

Where's the evidence for this? What is your medical qualifications to make this assessment? Are you Biden's physician or a professional at a hospital to make this call?

This sounds like ageism pure and simple. I am sorry. It is very cruel and insulting, and worthy of 45. It is disgraceful.

If that's the case how is that youth voters went for Bernie Sanders over Pete Buttigieg? How is that youth voters in Boston voted to send Ed Markey to the Senate rather than the young Kennedy sprog?

The whole "we are not a monolith" applies to age too. It's not a given that youth voters will flock to a candidate their age even within the Progressive wing. It's not a given this will be an actual election issue.
    Not really interested in a debate here but given it’s become glaringly obvious with Biden’s constant stutter, gaffes, forgetfulness that he’s just not as sharp as he used to be so I prefer he not run for a second term. Granted, Biden was fairly gaffe prone before but I feel modern Biden has worsened, and will get worse when he’s an octogenarian in 2024, and at that point l think it’s best not to run for the office again and hand the candidacy to someone younger like Harris. That’s all.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 11-06-2020 at 07:01 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The guy is full of ****. Just a couple days ago he gave money to the defense fund. Now he is going on about how Trump is being harmful. I dont think he believes Trump is being harmful or at least he does not care. He gave money to the defense fund when it seemed like the popular thing to with Trump because it seemed like he had a slight chance.

Now he is back tracking that because he sees there is no chance and his other GOP party members are calling Trump out. The only reason he is calling Trump out is so that he can somehow try and remain relevant in his own party. If the others were agreeing with Trump he would be right there with them.
    Sure.

That said, I'd rather have the Graham who is just dead weight that have the guy make a permanent swerve into the Gaetz/Gohmert lane. Doubly so when you have "Conspiracy Theory..." types coming on board.

I think the Biden campaign expected this to be called by this point. (It's painfully obvious that Biden won, but they still haven't officially called it yet.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Not really interested in a debate here but given it’s become glaringly obvious Biden’s constant stutter,
    Not a condition of age. He's had that since he was young and even then he speaks well in debates and speeches.

... gaffes, forgetfulness that he’s just not as sharp as he used to be.
    Biden was always someone who was a bit vaunting in oratory. His failed campaign in the '80s (back when he was middle-aged) had the immortal line, "I've said dumb things before and I will say dumb things again".

Granted, Biden was fairly gaffe prone before but I feel modern Biden has worsened, and will get worse when he’s an octogenarian in 2024, and at that point l think it’s best not to run for the office again and hand the candidacy to someone younger like Harris. That’s all.
    Again nothing is given and settled. We don't know what will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    So in all seriousness is no one else worried about the possibility of a civil war?
    Did the last one ever really end?
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Astonishing Member

Not a condition of age. He's had that since he was young and even then he speaks well in debates and speeches.

Biden was always someone who was a bit vaunting in oratory. His failed campaign in the '80s (back when he was middle-aged) had the immortal line, "I've said dumb things before and I will say dumb things again".

Again nothing is given and settled. We don't know what will happen.
    We gotta agree to disagree there, again I’m not interested in debate. To each their own. Let’s retire this, shall we? I don’t think Biden should run in 2024, and I stand by that opinion.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 11-06-2020 at 07:11 PM.

- Charles Schultz.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    We gotta agree to disagree there, again I’m not interested in debate. To each their own. Let’s retire this, shall we? I don’t think Biden should run in 2024, and I stand by that opinion.
    If you don't want Biden to run in 2024 you can express that without unfounded ageist insults.

Exactly. Trump's ego wasn't so big that he felt it to be beneath him to declare bankruptcy multiple times.

I think he'll just resign and let Pence do the lameduck transition stuff.
    The lamest of lame-duck presidents.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

From what I'm getting from Conservatives, the ones that can speak coherently and come out from behind their anger and address what they believe is important, it's somewhat about what they call "law and order" and a lot about religious freedom and abortion.

The first involves their belief that people are treated fairly already or that there are ways to deal with the unfairness that doesn't turn into a riot. Maybe that can be addressed by both sides once the Trump madness fades.

The religious freedom issue is tough. It would involve getting them to admit that they haven't lost any freedoms. I'm an atheist but I believed the stuff I was told when I was a kid. I was a Christian. I tend to tell people that I prayed all the time when I was in school even though prayer in schools was illegal even then. Then I'll say, "Oh, wait. You're talking about prayer led by the school that either forces you to participate or be ostracized if you don't. That's the state enforcing religion. If you want your kids to believe in your religion and pray, get off your lazy @$$es and teach them this stuff yourself and take them to church rather than wanting the school and the state to do it for you. It's especially ironic coming from Republicans who endlessly *say* they want the government to stay out of our lives as much as possible". I'm sure that would go over big with the average Conservative- not. But there may be a better way to present it.

I don't think the last issue, abortion, is reconcilable. They want to legally sanction their religious beliefs. Aside from all the (pardon the pun) misconceptions, they believe it's murder. Granted, most of it is hypocrisy and something to feel self-righteous about, a suppression of women and not even an accurate take on their own holy book. But that's one where they just have to be outright opposed.

https://joycearthur.com/abortion/the...s-my-abortion/
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member

If you don't want Biden to run in 2024 you can express that without unfounded ageist insults.
    My reasons are fairly simple. I think Biden is old, and while he’s fought the good fight my logic is that I simply believe the man has declined mentally and I feel it’s better to get someone younger to take over the presidency since I’m not sure a man of his age needs to be President for four more years at 81. I’m not even really insulting him but it seems to me his old age has impeded him and it would best to let someone else younger run for President. I also disagree that he generally speaks and debates well, at least compared to when he was younger. I think in my view he seems fairly tired and almost feels like he doesn’t know where he is at points .Again, agree to disagree.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 11-06-2020 at 07:26 PM.

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Show them the green map.

Yeah, unless it becomes Federally legal, don't expect Wyoming (and from what I hear, Idaho) to legalize marijuana.