Page 112 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 12621021081091101111121131141151161221622126121112 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 75153
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

I’m just wondering why more people don’t seem to have talking about the slavery that goes on in modern times since it’s also valid to be talking about America’s slavery from over 150 years ago. Also valid is talking about Iqbal Masih, a Pakistani child who was enslaved and abused when he was about 10 years old, and after eventually escaping and speaking out against slavery, was shot to death when he was about 12. He would have been about 37 if he was still alive: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iqbal_Masih

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    As a child of poor immigrants, I believe the American Dream is out there for those that seek for it. You just have to work at it, look opportunities and go over roadblocks instead of giving up when you confront them.
    Yeah that's all well and good, but you have to look at the big picture. Many of the hallmarks of having "made it" in America, like owning a home, having a high paying white collar job, and amassing wealth that you can pass onto your children, are by global and historical standards actually EXTREME privileges that by their very nature can only be held by a small minority at any given time, because while your parents may have busted their asses scrubbing toilets so you didn't have to, SOMEBODY still has to. So throughout history, Americans have relied on successive waves of immigrants to plug this gap in the labor force, and as each group starts to accumulate enough wealth to ascend to mainstream society, another group is brought in to do all the jobs that the newly enriched group now refuses to do. This process used to be celebrated as a sign of American's melting pot identity, but it started breaking down by the 20th century as immigrants started to come in from all over instead of just from Europe, making integration somewhat more difficult.

So we are in a bit of a dilemma here, if we cut off the flow of immigrants then it will be increasingly difficult to fill all the jobs that are needed for the economy to run, especially now that immigrants are increasingly doing highly skilled and professional jobs in addition to low paid menial work. On the other hand, if we continue to bring in more immigrants it will be a never ending process since nobody would consent to be part of a permanent underclass with no hope of social mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Dominic Cummings is STILL here despite several resignations and over 70% of the British public wanting him gone. This shambles of a government is burning its credibility rapidly by protecting someone who (by all rights) is a disposable flunkie and fuelling conspiracy theories in the process.
    I'm assuming they are just not worried about political capital right now, as elections won't be for another four/five years. A lot can happen in that time, this won't be a button issue at the next election, let's be honest. HOW THEY DEALT WITH THE VIRUS could very much be a sticking issue. Cummings... nah.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

There's been more years of American slavery than not having it in some form.

Until we get a good 100 years more under our belt, I don't see it changing much.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    As a child of poor immigrants, I believe the American Dream is out there for those that seek for it. You just have to work at it, look opportunities and go over roadblocks instead of giving up when you confront them.
    I remember what Booker T. Washington, who was enslaved as a child and lived through Jim Crow, wrote in his 1901 autobiography Up from Slavery, which was:

“Few people ever stopped, I found, when looking at his pictures, to inquire whether Mr. Tanner was a Negro painter, a French painter, or a German painter. They simply knew that he was able to produce something which the world wanted--a great painting--and the matter of his colour did not enter into their minds. When a Negro girl learns to cook, to wash dishes, to sew, or write a book, or a Negro boy learns to groom horses, or to grow sweet potatoes, or to produce butter, or to build a house, or to be able to practise medicine, as well or better than some one else, they will be rewarded regardless of race or colour. In the long run, the world is going to have the best, and any difference in race, religion, or previous history will not long keep the world from what it wants.

I think that the whole future of my race hinges on the question as to whether or not it can make itself of such indispensible value that the people in the town and the state where we reside will feel that our presence is necessary to the happiness and well-being of the community. No man who continues to add something to the material, intellectual, and moral well-being of the place in which he lives is long left without proper reward. This is a great human law which cannot be permanently nullified.“

And the impression I get is that, no matter what injustice has happened, is happening, or will happen, whether it was an injustice in regards to race, or sexuality, or class, or so on and so forth, is that persistent hard work and actively making yourself a valued contributor of society really will pay off, and help you grow ever closer to the privilege of reward, and perhaps progressively help change society all the better for it sooner or later.

This isn’t to say all injustice will end tomorrow because of this, but to simply give up at roadblocks, like you said, and come to conclusions such as life isn’t worth living probably does an injustice to one’s self that can also be damaging.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 05-27-2020 at 04:48 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    I remember what Booker T. Washington, who was enslaved as a child and lived through Jim Crow, wrote in his 1901 autobiography Up from Slavery, which was:

“Few people ever stopped, I found, when looking at his pictures, to inquire whether Mr. Tanner was a Negro painter, a French painter, or a German painter. They simply knew that he was able to produce something which the world wanted--a great painting--and the matter of his colour did not enter into their minds. When a Negro girl learns to cook, to wash dishes, to sew, or write a book, or a Negro boy learns to groom horses, or to grow sweet potatoes, or to produce butter, or to build a house, or to be able to practise medicine, as well or better than some one else, they will be rewarded regardless of race or colour. In the long run, the world is going to have the best, and any difference in race, religion, or previous history will not long keep the world from what it wants.

I think that the whole future of my race hinges on the question as to whether or not it can make itself of such indispensible value that the people in the town and the state where we reside will feel that our presence is necessary to the happiness and well-being of the community. No man who continues to add something to the material, intellectual, and moral well-being of the place in which he lives is long left without proper reward. This is a great human law which cannot be permanently nullified.“

And the impression I get is that, no matter what injustice has happened, is happening, or will happen, whether it was an injustice in regards to race, or sexuality, or class, or so on and so forth, is that persistent hard work and actively making yourself a valued contributor of society really will pay off, and help you grow ever closer to the privilege of reward, and perhaps progressively help change society all the better for it sooner or later.

This isn’t to say all injustice will end tomorrow because of this, but to simply give up at roadblocks, like you said, and come to conclusions such as life isn’t worth living probably does an injustice to one’s self that can also be damaging.
    I think the term “roadblocks” is really minimizing and dismissive of the problems that minorities and immigrants face. Especially when you consider that the white establishment is involved in the extrajudicial killings of black people for simply existing, I.e. the police.

You have to remember that not everybody is highly driven to succeed, but that doesn’t mean society should actively and institutionally discriminate against them.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

With the rise in racial crime the last few weeks where 2 black men were killed and police moved slow to respond. Or the justice system you would think Donald Trump would stand up and say something about it . Well...nope.

Instead this terrible guy plans to focus on an Executive order on how twitter fact checked his bullshit tweets.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...twitter-285891
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    With the rise in racial crime the last few weeks where 2 black men were killed and police moved slow to respond. Or the justice system you would think Donald Trump would stand up and say something about it . Well...nope.

Instead this terrible guy plans to focus on an Executive order on how twitter fact checked his bullshit tweets.

It's gotten to the point where, if Trump goes to a restaurant and gets a badly cooked steak, he'll sign an executive order placing penalties against the restaurant. He's abusing the purpose of an executive order for petty and vengeful purposes.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    I think the term “roadblocks” is really minimizing and dismissive of the problems that minorities and immigrants face. Especially when you consider that the white establishment is involved in the extrajudicial killings of black people for simply existing, I.e. the police.
    Well I apologize if you felt I was being dismissive of the problems that minorities face, as that wasn’t my intention at all. The point I simply want to drive home is that, as Booker T. Washington was talking about, is that hard work pays off sooner or later, and going by that, in case you personally or someone else feels compelled enough to address these issues beyond the internet, and manage to work with others in power in such a way that they help contributing towards positively influencing police forces to confront their corrupt cops and possibly have those corrupt cops lose their jobs, as well as firing many of the other corrupt people involving with the justice system and so on and so forth, or whatever other aspect they positively influence upon society for minorities, then I wish you or whomever the best in working towards that to be best of your or their ability, as just as activists in the past such as Martin Luther King worked their way up in positively influencing society then, then I’m positive that even after his assassination, I’m sure reasonably, that there will continue being activists that will have positive influences that will end up having noticeable impacts on society sooner or later.

And if anything I have said still shows that I’m being dismissive towards minorities, then I apologize once again. Take care and may the best happen for the greater good of society for minorities.

This was a Fox News headline today.

“Ice Cube reacts to death of George Floyd: ‘How long ... before we strike back?'”

Of all the quotes they could have used from the many many people expressing sadness and anger, they use the one they know will rile up their base. Like Fox News gives a **** about Ice Cube’s feelings on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    This was a Fox News headline today.

“Ice Cube reacts to death of George Floyd: ‘How long ... before we strike back?'”

Of all the quotes they could have used from the many many people expressing sadness and anger, they use the one they know will rile up their base. Like Fox News gives a **** about Ice Cube’s feelings on the matter.
    "Racism isn't getting worse, it's getting filmed." --- Will Smith.

There's a better one and it took me all of 5 seconds to find. He said this about 2 weeks ago.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    It's gotten to the point where, if Trump goes to a restaurant and gets a badly cooked steak, he'll sign an executive order placing penalties against the restaurant. He's abusing the purpose of an executive order for petty and vengeful purposes.
    Don’t be fooled. This is all a distraction from the fact that coronavirus deaths topped 100,000 today, and the absolute LAST thing Trump wants is for everyone to focus on that, and how his glaring incompetence resulted in this ongoing tragedy.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

He was part of Amazon’s coronavirus hiring spree. Two weeks later he was dead

He had been working in Amazon warehouses on and off for two years, always hoping to get a full-time position but always laid off after seasonal demand died down. Just a few weeks earlier, at the beginning of March, his bosses had told him they didn’t need him anymore. He had spent most of the month cooped up at home in Walnut, looking for other work.

Sentoso saw the warehouse job as a last chance to earn some cash before settling down to retirement. A small business he had started with a friend a few years earlier selling forklift tires hadn’t taken off, and he didn’t want to touch his savings if he didn’t have to. He had applied to dozens of jobs in recent years, but Amazon was the best the 63-year-old could find.
    Two weeks later, in the early morning hours of April 12 — his 27th wedding anniversary — Harry Sentoso would be dead.

Sentoso’s return to work was a part of a massive wave of hiring Amazon has undertaken in response to the coronavirus crisis. In mid-March, the company announced plans to hire 100,000 new workers to deal with a surge in online orders. In April, it began hiring 75,000 more to keep up with demand as it resumed shipping more nonessential items to customers.
    On Sunday, April 5, he went back to work, anxious not to miss a shift so soon after getting his job back and convinced he could shake what he thought was a cold, or maybe just bad indigestion. He liked to tell his sons, and the coworkers he befriended who were his sons’ age, that working at Amazon was great for his health — long days on the warehouse floor meant he always got in all his steps.

But on the same day, his wife started feeling sick. Sentoso worked four more days, hauling and sorting boxes for delivery to their final destination, but then started to feel worse: shortness of breath, cough, fever. His wife, a pharmacy technician who made sure he brought and wore a mask to work every day, got tested at her workplace on Wednesday. Her results came back positive, and the family doctor said it was safe to assume her husband was too. They both began to quarantine.

Three days later, close to midnight on April 11, Sentoso was having trouble getting any oxygen at all. His wife and older son Dylan, 22, tried to get him to the car to take him to the hospital, but Harry fell unconscious on his driveway. She called an ambulance, and called her other son.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Eh its no big deal because the context makes sense. Shesca role model because she was the first women in a mans world not because she likes her awful policies
    It's just so odd since she's not the only woman in politics, she may have risen very high except what values does Omar want? Is it about winning, or being strong while having principles closer of her own? Hillary Clinton would be a better fit with the latter. There's many, many women she could have chosen, it's juts so baffling that she chose British Reagan. Someone who is the antithesis to everything she values ideologically.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro no Shinigami View Post
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

The US states hit the hardest by the Covid

1. New York
    2. New Jersey
    3. Illinois
    4. California
    5. Massachusetts
    6. Pennsylvania
    7. Texas
    8. Michigan
    9. Florida
    10. Maryland

All of the ten top hardest hit states are some of the most populated states in America and have many urban heavily-populated cities (NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Detroit)

Most of them are Democratic states, although Maryland and Massachusetts have Republican governors. Those governors especially Cuomo have a lot to answer for this Covid response.
    Speaking as someone from Illinois, I must have missed all of these things that my Governor should have to answer for.

Never mind that the issues in the city of Chicago were not created by it's current Mayor or the current Governor.