Astonishing Member

removed...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    NC called too. AK called yesterday, same with AZ.

So 306 Biden - 232 Trump.

Now we see what the EC does.
    How poetic

Sam Alito Delivers Grievance-Laden, Ultrapartisan Speech to the Federalist Society

On Thursday night, Justice Sam Alito delivered the keynote address at this year’s all-virtual Federalist Society National Lawyers Convention. The Federalist Society, a well-funded network of conservative attorneys, has come under unusual scrutiny after Donald Trump elevated scores of its members to the federal judiciary. Its leaders insist that it is a mere debate club, a nonpartisan forum for the exchange of legal ideas. But Alito abandoned any pretense of impartiality in his speech, a grievance-laden tirade against Democrats, the progressive movement, and the United States’ response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Alito’s targets included COVID-related restrictions, same-sex marriage, abortion, Plan B, the contraceptive mandate, LGBTQ nondiscrimination laws, and five sitting Democratic senators.

Ironically, Alito began his prerecorded address by condemning an effort by the U.S. Judicial Conference to forbid federal judges from being members of the Federalist Society. He then praised, by name, the four judges who spearheaded a successful effort to defeat the ban—or, as Alito put it, who “stood up to an attempt to hobble the debate that the Federalist Society fosters.” Alito warned that law school students who are members of the Federalist Society tell him they “face harassment and retaliation if they say anything that departs from the law school orthodoxy.”
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

BANNED

It's a speech that appears to be directed at GA...telling GOP there to vote so as to protect the SCOTUS.

On the other hand, it's also a speech that might radicalize the base and have them turn up in numbers to check the SCOTUS.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    And speaking of horrible people, here's a new congresswoman heading to Washington DC next year.

"My body, my choice"?!? Is this an attempted troll, or is she really that irony-deaf?

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    It's a speech that appears to be directed at GA...telling GOP there to vote so as to protect the SCOTUS.

On the other hand, it's also a speech that might radicalize the base and have them turn up in numbers to check the SCOTUS.
    Speaking of which, AL just elected a Senator who doesn't know what the SCOTUS is.

Tommy Tuberville, who is about the be sworn in as a U.S. Senator, thinks the three branches of government are “the House, the Senate and executive.”

Trump Presser, so apparently Trump didn't even bother to dye his hair.

So presidents go gray over four years. They don’t usually go gray in one week.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post

For some reason he uses the dye so often, that it's imprinted even when he doesn't sport it, if that makes sense.

You know Ronald Reagan used to dye his hair too, to somehow still give the '40s and '50s leading man look even if the dude was 70 when he took office. Biden doesn't have time for that malarkey.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post

As the saying goes, there are weeks when decades happen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    As the saying goes, there are weeks when decades happen.
    The past 9 months feel like a century.

Now I know how those immortal characters from Gaiman's The Sandman feels like.

Astonishing Member

"I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Imagine getting all your news from Alex Jones or OAN.

These guys brains are rotted. And I’m not even joking.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    These guys are amazingly childish.

Still, Fox News calling Arizona, that's gonna be something that newsmedia will be discussing going forward. Doing so, completely deflated the entire "steal the election" campaign that Trump and other GOP were planning.

Arnon Mishkin, head of Fox's Decision Desk, probably is a hero when this is done.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    What constitutional amendment could be used to stop a Trump from getting elected?

There are some distinctions. Joe Manchin has been able to o can win in West Virginia, which is one of the most conservative states in the nation. Joe Lieberman wasn't as conservative, but he did also come from a state which was trending blue.

I'm a capitalist, so it usually doesn't matter why good things happen. If it's because greedy people are incentivized into doing the right thing, I agree with you that the right response is to ask "So what?"

However, people do often use morality as part of their rationale for getting support for a policy, so it's relevant to point out to less pure motives as a response to those questions.

There is also a question of whether it is a good thing to offer access selectively, especially if the goal is to get a particular outcome, like increasing the power of the establishment of the Democratic party. Whether making election day a national holiday helps reach that goal is a different question.
    I fail to see how the possible morality of the motivation for getting more people to vote effects the outcome if it's a net good decision, especially as you already said that you get why "So, what?" is the correct response when it's greedy people being given incentive to do right. And again, I see no argument for not doing it...other than fear that actually having more peoples voices heard might possibly mean less power for conservatives which isn't a good reason at all for wanting to limit voter turn out.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 11-13-2020 at 03:47 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I fail to see how the possible morality of the motivation for getting more people to vote effects he out come, especially as you already said that you get why "So, what?" is the correct response when it's greedy people being given incentive to do right. And again, I see no argument for not doing it...other than fear that the actually having more peoples voices heard might possibly mean less power for conservatives which isn't a good reason at all for wanting to limit voter turn out.
    I don't get it. Conservatives win popular vote fair and square in other democracies...Thatcher won that way, David Cameron too, even Boris Johnson. Canada has had conservative governments too. Angela Merkel is super-popular in Germany.

It's only American conservatism that believes they need to restrict votes to hold on to power, and it doesn't make sense. These guys had Reagan and he won the pop. vote fair and square...I don't like the fact, but it did happen, and a Republican candidate can carry the day somewhere down the line.