Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I concur.

I am firmly in the middle but every AMERICAN test says I am squarely left.

The middle looks really radically liberal to the current AMERICAN conservative right now.
    The reality is that most people who say they are in the center usually have a clear preference when you dig into it

17 states tell Supreme Court they support Texas bid to reverse Biden win

Seventeen states whose elections were won by President Donald Trump told the Supreme Court on Wednesday that they support Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton’s bid to file a lawsuit that could effectively reverse President-elect Joe Biden’s projected Electoral College victory.

The filing backing Paxton by those states came a day after he asked the Supreme Court for permission to sue Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, all of which Biden won, over their voting processes.

Later Wednesday, Trump filed a motion to intervene in the case “in his personal capacity” as a presidential candidate. The Supreme Court has yet to rule on Paxton’s request.

The states supporting the suit, all of which have Republican attorneys general, are Missouri, Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, and West Virginia.
    I hope the other 33 states speak up against this.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post

And again their entire argument in most of these states are that their OWN party is too incompetent to run elections without corruption. And that the millions of minority votes just be tossed sans evidence and the win arbitrarily handed to Trump because "reasons".

Just on the face of it. Why should they be in power if there is this much incompetence of their own claims when they run a state?

I concur.

The middle looks really radically liberal to the current AMERICAN conservative right now.
    There's a left, a right, a center, and the GOP; who are so far right they couldn't see the center with the most powerful telescope in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    The reality is that most people who say they are in the center usually have a clear preference when you dig into it
    Sure .. my preference is political North (libertarian) but true policies for the liberty and freedom of everyone don't exist in American Libertarianism. It is more of a right-wing, white empowerment, anti-LGBTQ, anti-women diatribe in American politics disguised as "get government out of my life." I prefer polices that let me and others live how we want and spend money how we want. That's pretty middle in America right now. But to the current American conservative, that is extremely liberal.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    There's a left, a right, a center, and the GOP; who are so far right they couldn't see the center with the most powerful telescope in the world.
    Yes, Hubble could not even help them.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    I call bullshit.
    I concur.

I don’t know that agree, either, I was just posting it because it was relevant to the conversation.

He can't as President, too much Security around him. He can do it on January 21st.
    There isn't much security could do to prevent him from going to another country without a court decision that he's restricted.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I’m not going to dig up the post about 9 out of 10 Centrists just being conservatives, but...

Never mind, here it is:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a9699431.html
    This polls seems a bit flawed.

It covers college students, so it's not about the entire population.

It also remains possible for the results to come from conservatives feeling pressure to hide their political views in an environment in which they're surrounded by liberals, such as modern colleges. In that case, it may not be something unique to conservatives. Perhaps there would be similar results for Democrats in conservative milieus (chamber of commerce meetings, church gatherings, etc.)

The poll also wasn't about things that distinguished progressives from conservatives. In five of the six categories, the difference between progressive and conservative men was under 20%. On each of those areas with a majority of support among progressives, the lowest score for conservative men was 46.3% (and that category had 54% support among conservative women.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    True. If you didn't know Rowling's history, this would just be a couple of scenes that would be hard to construe as a shot at trans people since the guy is not trans or gay or a cross-dresser but just threw on a wig to get closer to a woman in a dark alley without her panicking and running. But when you know some of Rowling's history, it becomes at least potentially a subtle attack on trans people.

Now, it's got me thinking about some of the books of the past like the Dune books or the Horseclans books that were absolutely rife with homophobia- and sexism in the case of Dune. They were criticized for that even when they were published. I'm imagining the justifiable backlash today.
    The argument about Rowling's history is complicated because the book is part of her history and why people respond to her in a particular way.

It's circular logic. The book wouldn't be that bad if it weren't for history. We know her history is bad because she's the type of person who would write the book.

There's a writer named Abigail Shrier who caused a lot of controversy with a book about the increase in preadolescents and adolescents identifying themselves as trans men (which is one of the issues where Rowling was concerned about.)

Various news outlets blasted Joe Rogan for interviewing her, and this was one of the reasons for some pushback at Spotify's deal with Joe Rogan.
    https://www.menshealth.com/entertain...w-transphobia/
    https://theindustryobserver.thebrag....y-controversy/

Yesterday, I read a review of Shrier's book from a progressive writer, and I was struck by the sense that it wasn't an objection to anything she was doing wrong, but the idea that she was on the wrong side. She's judged for the views someone thinks she has, rather than what she actually believes.

https://theorion.com/85233/opinion/a...-limited-data/

At times, reading this book gives you the sense there is an underlining trans-exclusionary radical feminist (TERF) message. In the way that feminist women like to blame the transgender community for the problems society as a whole has created against women. Now these messages aren’t blatant but rather sprinkled in with delicate phrasing.
    My next biggest problem with Shrier is her use of language throughout the book. The kind of language that isn’t blatant, but unconsciously suggests negative ways of viewing transgender people.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It also remains possible for the results to come from conservatives feeling pressure to hide their political views in an environment in which they're surrounded by liberals, such as modern colleges. In that case, it may not be something unique to conservatives. Perhaps there would be similar results for Democrats in conservative milieus (chamber of commerce meetings, church gatherings, etc.)
    If you have to hide your opinions, maybe you have bad opinions.

These absolute motherf***ers are aiming for a civil war over Trump. Absolutely disgusting and dangerous.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    If you have to hide your opinions, maybe you have bad opinions.
    This might be true if there were any opinions on controversial topics that most people would feel comfortable voicing in all settings (IE- the faculty lounge of a small liberal arts college, a church social, a small business networking event, a bar frequented by police, and a dining room table with a coworker's relatives.) I'm not sure that's true.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    So we are arguing about what is fair in a sport that is completely overrun with PIDs?
    What is PIDs?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Choosing not to get into it in a specific setting because you have manners is real different than hiding when asked.

Also, what exactly are the controversial opinions liberals need to hide?

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Disgusting behavior. Two reasons this is being done

1. More Fundraising to con his brainless cult
    2. Paxton wants and NEEDS a Presidential Pardon and this is only a ploy to curry favor from Trump.

He’s under indictment for three first-degree felony charges of securities fraud.
    He’s currently under investigation by the FBI for influence peddling for donors.
    Eight of his top aides have either resigned or were fired after documenting the case which made the influence peddling public.

Paxton is a political criminal. The cases against him are strong. Only that Presidential Pardon can save him from massive fines and jail time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    These absolute motherf***ers are aiming for a civil war over Trump. Absolutely disgusting and dangerous.
    If wanting to make sure America's global reputation is tarnished for years to come, going with how Trump and his party still get millions to vote for him, starting with the already stereotypical image of a frivolous lawsuit filing abuser requesting to speak with the Elections manager was already a great way to start. By now, making goons wave guns around households with kids or call death threats is just gravy for the Party of Felony Values.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

What is PIDs?
    PEDs, steroids and junk.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!