Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    But don't you see, attempted coups are harmless fun if they only have about a 5% chance of succeeding.
    5% that's up from the <1% it would have been had the GOP not been deliberately installing unqualified partisan s***heels from the Federalist Society into the judiciary and 1/3 of the Supreme Court the past 4 years.

"BUT NOTHING TO PAY ATTENTION TO, CARRY ON AND DON'T CALL OUT THE DELIBERATE ATTEMPTS AT AUTHORITARIAN F***ERY."
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

I have a thought exercise, one based on (apparently) many Republican's worse fear.

Let's say that Democrats gain enough control in government to enact all encompassing voter rights acts, outlaw any attempts by states to suppress votes, do away with gerrymandering, and [to make things a little more scary] somehow do away with the Electoral College.

Then, lets' say that, by doing so, Democrats become the sole Majority Party, and that Republicans lose support, lose elections, and are resigned to a place nearly as bad as the Green Party and other little league political groups.

What happens? Can the Republicans bounce back? Will some other group replace them? Or will they go rogue and do something troubling.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I have a thought exercise, one based on (apparently) many Republican's worse fear.

Let's say that Democrats gain enough control in government to enact all encompassing voter rights acts, outlaw any attempts by states to suppress votes, do away with gerrymandering, and [to make things a little more scary] somehow do away with the Electoral College.

Then, lets' say that, by doing so, Democrats become the sole Majority Party, and that Republicans lose support, lose elections, and are resigned to a place nearly as bad as the Green Party and other little league political groups.

What happens? Can the Republicans bounce back? Will some other group replace them? Or will they go rogue and do something troubling.
    The GOP would need to compromise their policy stances and actually support policies a majority of the electorate supports like public health measures, taxing the rich, gun control, equal pay, raising the minimum wage, same sex marriage, supporting human rights, a woman's right to choose, and immigration reform.

So no, this group of extremists would be f***ed. They're incapable of compromising conservative dogma. They dug in to put an accused rapist on the Supreme Court. They just cannot come off of their lunacy.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 12-11-2020 at 09:07 AM.

I think the Democrats split under your scenario. The establishment/neoliberal wing becomes the basis of the new right wing party, the rest moves left. Minority voting blocks might break apart under that scenario, depending on whether or not the neoliberals get taken over by racists like the Republicans have been.
    Dark does not mean deep.

A Lone White Male Republican Senator Blocks Creation of National Latino and Women’s Museums

The push to create two new museums in Washington, D.C., honoring the contributions of Latinos and women in American history has been nearly two decades in the making and, on Thursday, appeared on the cusp of becoming a reality. The groundwork had been laid, bipartisan bills had passed overwhelmingly in the House that authorized the museums creation under the auspices of the Smithsonian. But when Republican Sen. John Cornyn of Texas and Democratic Sen. Bob Menendez of New Jersey moved to advance the Latino museum by unanimous consent Thursday evening, a legislative method used to expedite uncontroversial measures, a single Republican senator—Mike Lee of Utah—stepped in and blew the whole thing up. The white male senator said he opposed the creation of “separate but equal museums for hyphenated identity groups.”

https://twitter.com/parkermolloy/sta...913890304?s=21

Great thread from Parker Molloy on the harm done to all women by attempts to harm transgender women.

Also, WBE alum David Byrd announced today he is going to probably be going on a ventilator soon due to covid.

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1...033275392?s=21

Governor Bullock can be an assclown sometimes, but I'm thankful he's on the right side of this issue. The whole state is going to tank when he leaves office shortly.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

And now I feel the need to apologize, because my remarks yesterday about Connecticut schools creating separate, non-mandatory Latino, Puerto Rican, etc. history/social studies courses, seem to mirror the argument Mike Lee's making for blocking these museums. This leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

My point about the schools was to question their history/ss curriculum. I live in a state where it's entirely possible for people to live their whole lives without encountering any ethnic/racial diversity, and despite this, I feel my public education in history and social studies was robust with diversity, multiculturalism, and definitely an overarching social justice theme, and these were all your standard courses. While I understand the benefits of specific Ethnic/Racial studies courses and their appeal, especially to their subject demographics, I fear the creation of such courses will allow standard, mandatory history/ss classes to lazily continue whitewashing.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

GOP Guv. Slams Other Republicans For Refusing To Wear Masks: ‘Don’t Act Like A Bunch Of Children’

New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu (R) on Thursday blasted his fellow Republicans over their refusal to wear masks after New Hampshire state Rep. Dick Hinch (R) died from COVID-19.

During a press briefing, Sununu said Hinch’s death was a “cautionary tale” after the lawmaker attended an event with his GOP colleagues where they didn’t wear masks.

The governor emphasized the importance of facial coverings in preventing the spread of the virus.

“For those who are just out there doing the opposite just to make some ridiculous political point, it is horribly wrong,” Sununu said. “Please use your heads. Don’t act like a bunch of children, frankly.”

That's exactly what the anti-mask people are. Petulant children.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Why the hell does it matter whether it will change anything? A huge part of your party just gave the biggest a-okay they can with attempting to overthrow a legitimate election. Jesus.
    Republicans right now just be like:

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Trump is tweeting a "worst of" obvious projections, sour grapes and conspiracy theories.

Must be Friday.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Beastie's Cartoons of the Week

A double dose of Mike Luckovich this week!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    https://twitter.com/parkermolloy/sta...913890304?s=21

Great thread from Parker Molloy on the harm done to all women by attempts to harm transgender women.

Also, WBE alum David Byrd announced today he is going to probably be going on a ventilator soon due to covid.

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1...033275392?s=21
    I don't wish Covid-19 on anyone, but if someone has to get it, a guy who molested teenage girls would be a first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    If it doesn't change anything, it's bullshit posturing. I don't like bullshit posturing, and would be glad to see a movement against it in all forms, but that's different from an attempted coup.
    It lends legitimacy to Trumps claims of election fraud. Whether anyone with a shred of common sense takes it seriously doesn’t matter. This will be held up as “proof” by the craziest and loudest in your party. Frankly I doubt the GOP leadership will muster the courage to speak out against those voices.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe