Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

I also think foreign aid is a good thing and should be part of a defense bill, as more stability in the world is good for our security.

The Covid relief bill did not, in fact, contain $500 million for Israel. Congress passed a suite of bills, including Covid relief *and* the bill funding the Defense Department for 2021, which includes foreign aid. This isn't hard unless you know nothing about Congress.
    https://twitter.com/Yair_Rosenberg/s...854590474?s=20
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Got it.

You're partisan. Mets is partisan.

You'll both hone words to quark slicing edge.

Have a ball.
    I am more willing to support Democrats than most of the regulars here are to support Republicans (I never supported Trump, and have been pretty consistent in supporting Biden.)

That said, partisans should be able to discuss politics without going with the least generous interpretations of what someone else said.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Also, they picked Israel and Sudan out of a long list of countries and regions. Guess Nepal and Ukraine are not as sexy here.
    Interesting that an African nation and the one majority-Jewish nation got the most blowback.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    I also think foreign aid is a good thing and should be part of a defense bill, as more stability in the world is good for our security.

https://twitter.com/Yair_Rosenberg/s...854590474?s=20
    The American public generally doesn't realize how little we spend on foreign aid.

https://borgenproject.org/us-foreign-aid-spending/

The U.S. spends more in net amount than any other country on foreign aid; the total came to some $32 billion in 2014. However, when looking at aid spending as a percentage of gross national income (GNI) , the amount the country and residents abroad take in as income, the U.S. spends a mere 0.19 percent of the wealth it receives each year in aid.

The American contribution falls flat behind larger benefactors like Sweden which donates 1.1 percent of its GNI, or Luxembourg at 1.07 percent and Norway at 0.99 percent.

The misconceptions of Americans regarding foreign aid are showing no signs of clearing up on their own. Another poll conducted by WorldPublicOpinion.org in 2010 found the median estimate Americans believe their country spent on foreign aid was 25 percent. When the poll asked them what would be an “appropriate” amount, the median answer was 10 percent.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 12-22-2020 at 05:48 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    The felony charge applies to companies not individuals. The $600 is a non issue, IMO, since it's such a piddly amount. The worst thing about this package is that the unemployment will only last 11 weeks. They should have given Israel's money to unemployment instead.
    Last edited by shooshoomanjoe; 12-22-2020 at 06:37 AM.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    The felony charge applies to companies not individuals. The $600 is a non issue, IMO, since it's such a piddly amount. The worst thing about this package is that the unemployment will only last 11 weeks. They should have given Israel's money to unemployment instead.
    Again: "Israel's money" is not part of the covid relief package. It's part of the defense spending bill. It's military aid, and thanks to an Obama era law, Israel has to spend pretty much all the money in the US, so it flows right back into the economy.
    Last edited by PaulBullion; 12-22-2020 at 07:13 AM.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

... They should have given Israel's money to unemployment instead.
    Israel gets payment for being an eager American proxy.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Well this is potentially horrible.

Trump administration weighing legal immunity for Saudi crown prince accused in assassination plot https://t.co/Q9ykKas05n

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Well, that doesn’t surprise me in the least. I’m sure Trumpanzees, right wingers and conservatives will shrug and say it’s no big deal since MBS isn’t a U.S. citizen.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I weirdly have this Lethal Weapon 2 deal running through my mind with the bad guy...

"The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

I know they needed to pass SOMETHING. The American people needed something to help them through the holidays, and Mitch needed something passed so the Republicans can tell Georgia voters 'Look what we got for you!' But I wonder if the Democrats settled on this bill because they think either A) their chances on winning both seats in Georgia are so strong, that they can wait until Both Democratic candidates win, and then pass an even larger, more comprehensive bill in January, or B) even if they don't win Georgia, that Biden will be strong enough to MAYBE get Mitch to work with him to get a better bill passed.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I know they needed to pass SOMETHING. The American people needed something to help them through the holidays, and Mitch needed something passed so the Republicans can tell Georgia voters 'Look what we got for you!' But I wonder if the Democrats settled on this bill because they think either A) their chances on winning both seats in Georgia are so strong, that they can wait until Both Democratic candidates win, and then pass an even larger, more comprehensive bill in January, or B) even if they don't win Georgia, that Biden will be strong enough to MAYBE get Mitch to work with him to get a better bill passed.
    You mean Joe Biden will pursue a strategy of "keeping enemies closer" in order to get all of his favorite bills passed in the Senate?

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    You mean Joe Biden will pursue a strategy of "keeping enemies closer" in order to get all of his favorite bills passed in the Senate?
    If Dems win Georgia, then it will be either "keeping enemies closer" or "Starving them out."

If Dems lose Georgia, they won't have as many options.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    I mean that Biden is old and white, and therefore Mitch might actually work with him. It's a longshot, but it's the most I can hope for.

Just another Tuesday under Trumps administration.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Trump turns on everyone

President Trump, in his final days, is turning bitterly on virtually every person around him, griping about anyone who refuses to indulge conspiracy theories or hopeless bids to overturn the election, several top officials tell Axios.

The latest: Targets of his outrage include Vice President Pence, chief of staff Mark Meadows, White House counsel Pat Cipollone, Secretary of State Pompeo and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

Why it matters: Trump thinks everyone around him is weak, stupid or disloyal — and increasingly seeks comfort only in people who egg him on to overturn the election results. We cannot stress enough how unnerved Trump officials are by the conversations unfolding inside the White House.
    A source who spoke to Trump said the president was complaining about Pence and brought up a Lincoln Project ad that claims that Pence is "backing away" from Trump. This ad has clearly got inside Trump’s head, the source said.

Trump views Pence as not fighting hard enough for him — the same complaint he uses against virtually everybody who works for him and has been loyal to him.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Ultimate Member

I don't know why they're still around, but damn I hope the Lincoln Project keeps pushing his buttons