Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

Because you center everything around Groves as if that was the protagonist of reality, when the NYT article focuses on both and indeed gives Galligan the first and last word.

About that...

From the end of the piece -

For his role, Mr. Galligan said he had no regrets. “If I never posted that video, nothing would have ever happened,” he said. And because the internet never forgets, the clip will always be available to watch.

“I’m going to remind myself, you started something,” he said with satisfaction. “You taught someone a lesson.”
    From the bit I posted earlier -

One of Ms. Groves’s friends, who is Black, said Ms. Groves had personally apologized for the video long before it went viral. Once it did in June, the friend defended Ms. Groves online, prompting criticism from strangers and fellow students. “We’re supposed to educate people,” she wrote in a Snapchat post, “not ruin their lives all because you want to feel a sense of empowerment.”
    Meanwhile? Here is a pretty interesting part from another section of the piece -

Mr. Galligan thinks a lot about race, and the implications of racial slurs. He said his father was often the only white person at maternal family gatherings, where “the N-word is a term that is thrown around sometimes” by Black relatives. A few years ago, he said his father said it aloud, prompting Mr. Galligan and his sister to quietly take him aside and explain that it was unacceptable, even when joking around.

Shortly after his 18th birthday in July, Mr. Galligan asked his father, a former law enforcement officer, what he thought about white privilege. “The first thing he said to me is that it doesn’t exist,” Mr. Galligan recalled. He then asked his father if he had ever been scared while walking at night, or while reaching into the glove box after getting pulled over by the police.

He said his father had not.

“That is your white privilege,” Mr. Galligan said he told him.

Want to get upset over something more than a girl not getting her white privileged?

How about an entire Administration trying to screw the country?

Biden says his transition team has 'encountered roadblocks' from Trump appointees

President-elect Joe Biden on Monday said his transition team has "encountered roadblocks" from political leadership at the Defense Department and the Office of Management and Budget as his advisers work with the Trump administration.

"We just aren't getting all the information that we need from the outgoing administration in key national security areas," Biden said, after receiving a virtual briefing from members of his national security and foreign policy agency review teams.

"It's nothing short, in my view, of irresponsibility," he said.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 12-28-2020 at 04:20 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Want to get upset over something more than a girl not gett8ng her white privileged?

Politely, you're making that a whole lot simpler than it actually is.

If one entire half of the piece is pretty squarely focused on "Teaching A Lesson..."?

You would think that, armed with the knowledge that a young woman who had already privately apologized for something that we can pretty safely assume that she actually knew was wrong, someone involved in the article would specifically ask the young man involved if he thought that someone who he now knew had apologized should still have been taught a lesson.

Accounting for that the article took some time to go into the young man's thoughts on why he did exactly what he did?

It is kind of odd that the piece completely avoided asking him if that would have figured into doing what he did if he had known.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Some people are wrong and inconsistent, failing to consider the implications of their views.
    If you're pointing out that you're consistently wrong, I agree.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Anybody remember when a rich, white, cheerleader's hurt feelings weren't the top priority?

I'm just not sure why I should give more than 1/2 a f**k when so much more is happening in the world.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Why do people keep voting for people who harm them?

Kentucky Is Hurting as Its Senators Limit or Oppose Federal Aid

I never completely understood working people voting for a Party that constantly sides with the Rich and Powerful to their detrimen
    I have absolutely no pity for them. If they want to screw themselves over, go right ahead. I just hate that they're screwing the rest of us along with them.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Politely, you're making that a whole lot simpler than it actually is.

If one entire half of the piece is pretty squarely focused on "Teaching A Lesson..."?

You would think that, armed with the knowledge that a young woman who had already privately apologized for something that we can pretty safely assume that she actually knew was wrong, someone involved in the article would specifically ask the young man involved if he thought that someone who he now knew had apologized should still have been taught a lesson.

Accounting for that the article took some time to go into the young man's thoughts on why he did exactly what he did?

It is kind of odd that the piece completely avoided asking him if that would have figured into doing what he did if he had known.
    I was trying to be cute while posting about something much more serious that affects the whole nation.
    So of course you focus on that and ignore the unprecedented damage the Trump Administration is trying to do to the new Biden one.
    Which was the subject of the post.

Why am I not surprised?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I have absolutely no pity for them. If they want to screw themselves over, go right ahead. I just hate that they're screwing the rest of us along with them.
    By these small Red States doing this, they allow these idiots to dominate the Senate with a minority of the popular vote and screw us all.

Why do people keep voting for people who harm them?

Kentucky Is Hurting as Its Senators Limit or Oppose Federal Aid

I never completely understood working people voting for a Party that constantly sides with the Rich and Powerful to their detrimen
    Well, it's Kentucky so I have to assume someone told them a black person might get some sort of benefit from it.

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Well, it's Kentucky so I have to assume someone told them a black person might get some sort of benefit from it.
    I was born in Kentucky. Small town Kentucky. We had 6 black people in my town and I swear to god if you asked someone where they were someone would know. The Black Lives Matter movment scares the Hell out of small town country Kentucky. I hear it every time I go back there or talk to friends and family from there. Add in Antifa shut downs and masks. Shit these people lose their minds and will vote for who ever promises to make it all better. Even when Mitch gives their tax dollars to the rich they will smile shake his hand and thank them for it.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Anybody remember when a rich, white, cheerleader's hurt feelings weren't the top priority?

I'm just not sure why I should give more than 1/2 a f**k when so much more is happening in the world.
    I's not the top priority.

On these forums, it is better to talk about issues where we think the majority of the others are mistaken, rather than topics where there's general agreement.

Though what does it matter if she's a white cheerleader.

Would anyone be on a different side if she were a mathlete? If a black student were pushed out of college for saying something antisemitic, should we feel differently?

There is also the way it could influence people on other political questions.

It's pretty safe to say the people who think that the responses to what this girl did were appropriate are significantly more likely to support Warnock and Ossoff in very important Senate races in Georgia.

Would people want that to be the proxy for all political issues. If you think the response was correct and proportionate, vote for Warnock and Ossoff! If you disagree, vote for Perdue and Loeffler! The outcome would probably work out well for conservatives.

I'm fully aware that conservatives say and do stupid things, and would prefer those not be proxies for whether to vote for Republicans. But I do criticize conservatives under those circumstances.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I was born in Kentucky. Small town Kentucky. We had 6 black people in my town and I swear to god if you asked someone where they were someone would know. The Black Lives Matter movment scares the Hell out of small town country Kentucky. I hear it every time I go back there or talk to friends and family from there. Add in Antifa shut downs and masks. Shit these people lose their minds and will vote for who ever promises to make it all better. Even when Mitch gives their tax dollars to the rich they will smile shake his hand and thank them for it.
    Sometimes kind of wish the southern states had managed to secede from the Union.

Sometimes kind of wish the southern states had managed to secede from the Union.
    I know what you mean. It would have been cool if the North, when they achieved military victory had said they will provide safe passage for every slave to come to the North, and then withdraw and watch the South collapse on itself.

I's not the top priority.

On these forums, it is better to talk about issues where we think the majority of the others are mistaken, rather than topics where there's general agreement.

Though what does it matter if she's a white cheerleader.

Would anyone be on a different side if she were a mathlete? If a black student were pushed out of college for saying something antisemitic, should we feel differently?

There is also the way it could influence people on other political questions.

It's pretty safe to say the people who think that the responses to what this girl did were appropriate are significantly more likely to support Warnock and Ossoff in very important Senate races in Georgia.

Would people want that to be the proxy for all political issues. If you think the response was correct and proportionate, vote for Warnock and Ossoff! If you disagree, vote for Perdue and Loeffler! The outcome would probably work out well for conservatives.

I'm fully aware that conservatives say and do stupid things, and would prefer those not be proxies for whether to vote for Republicans. But I do criticize conservatives under those circumstances.
    I mean, another black man was shot in his own home a few days ago. Britney or Payton or whatever her name is not going to her first choice of college to major in cheerleading doesn't really matter. It's too bad she got tattled on and everything but honestly, I think it will somehow work out for her.

Except it's not from some random left leaning somebody, the stupid, hateful things are coming from the leaders of your Party. It wasn't some college kid in Georgia who posed with the KKK, it was the Senator running for re-election. They aren't proxies, they are your Party.