I just saw the bs video trump put out. The one where he talks about how what happened yesterday was a crime. He stands for laecand order and those who did this will be arrested. The country needs to heal he will peacefully transaction power and we have to start working together to heal.

I guess all it took was a failed coup and dead police officer to get him to turn on the people he egged in and encouraged.

What a leader!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Some interesting stuff about international agencies on what happened yesterday.

French Intelligence and others in Europe said they informed their governments that yesterday saw Donald Trump attempt a coup d'etat on US Soil.
    I normally take Business Insider with a grain of salt, but they present reasonable conclusions here. The question becomes, "why didn't it work?" Most likely because, like everything else in his life, he half-assed it. But I could see him thinking it would be "perfect," especially with somebody like Erik Prince and Michael Flynn whispering in his ear.

I am not so sure about that. [Trumpism being a symptom of something inextricably embedded in human nature]

Some ideas that had a similar pull are extinct. Nobody today would seriously propose reintroducing slavery, or feudalism, or divine right of kings, or for that matter believe that the Catholic Church should have sole authority to nominate and recognized heads of state as they did in the Middle Ages.

Racist ideology is younger than those ideas, and I don't see any claim to eternity for it.
    That's adorable. If you think slavery is extinct, you need look no further than our own farmers, and that's before we even talk about where Nike sources its products. Corporations of every nation have been attempting to reassert a new form of feudalism. Trumpism IS an attempt to revive Divine Right.

The names change, but the ills remain.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Some interesting stuff about international agencies on what happened yesterday.

French Intelligence and others in Europe said they informed their governments that yesterday saw Donald Trump attempt a coup d'etat on US Soil.
    https://www.b usinessinsider.com/trump-attempted-coup-federal-law-enforcement-capitol-police-2021-1

Delete the space after the first b...for some reason the site doesn't link here properly.

I am not so sure about that.

Some ideas that had a similar pull are extinct. Nobody today would seriously propose reintroducing slavery, or feudalism, or divine right of kings, or for that matter believe that the Catholic Church should have sole authority to nominate and recognized heads of state as they did in the Middle Ages.

Racist ideology is younger than those ideas, and I don't see any claim to eternity for it.
    Anti-Semitism existed as early as the middle ages though.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Astonishing Member

Six Republican lawmakers among rioters as police release photos of wanted

trump said the law will go after the people that participated in the DC siege. We'll see of these 6 people will be included.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Cnn reported one of the police officers attacked last night has died.
    Apparently that wasn't an accurate report.

NPR just updated their page:

U.S. Capitol Police say the report that one of its officers had died after being assaulted by violent protesters loyal to President Trump is not accurate. NPR incorrectly reported the death based on information from a well-placed source.

"Although some officers were injured and hospitalized yesterday, no USCP officers have passed away," Capitol Police said in a statement. "We ask that our officers' and their families' privacy be respected at this time. Should a statement become necessary, the Department will issue one at the appropriate time."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    Racist ideology is rooted in "us vs them" and that instinct is older than the human species.
    That sounds scientifically suspect to me. I mean we have evolutionary evidence that pre-Homo Sapiens intermarried one another.

And reducing stuff to "us vs them" as some primal human instinct is also dubious from a psychological perspective, since it hinges on inherent human instincts without factoring society and the role of nurture.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    If you think slavery is extinct,
    Slavery in the form of Ancient World slavery or Transatlantic Slavery is extinct. The examples you cite do not disprove that claim.

Corporations of every nation have been attempting to reassert a new form of feudalism.
    As metaphor I might agree with you, but one must not confuse metaphor for reality.

Trumpism IS an attempt to revive Divine Right.
    It really is not.

The names change, but the ills remain.
    There's also seeing or insisting on continuity when there isn't. Or making a dubious error in logic by transforming metaphors as a means to explain and make legible a complex situation into something where the metaphor and the actual thing are interchangable.

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Anti-Semitism existed as early as the middle ages though.
    True, but that doesn't exactly disprove my argument. Anti-semitism as a continuous presence in European life dates to about the Crusades when the first major recorded pogroms happened during the so-called "People's Crusade". That doesn't mean there weren't problems before but the form of oppression in terms of anti-semitism is not an eternal problem that cannot be overcome.

In the ancient world, in Rome and Greece in particular, fathers had the right to murder infants if they were born with deformities or had disabilities of any kind, since those societies saw these as signs of ill favor. Babies who were rejected were dumped in trash heaps (the stuff you never see in Hollywood or British dramas about Rome). And that was all legal.

Is that still a thing in today's day and age. Does the most extreme right-wing Republican advocate values and ideas like this?

So again, not all forms of oppression are eternal or built to last, or impossible for humanity to overcome.

I just saw the bs video trump put out. The one where he talks about how what happened yesterday was a crime. He stands for laecand order and those who did this will be arrested. The country needs to heal he will peacefully transaction power and we have to start working together to heal.

I guess all it took was a failed coup and dead police officer to get him to turn on the people he egged in and encouraged.

What a leader!
    I don't believe a word he says. Every one of his "scripted" speeches have been absolutely ridiculous, in both content and presentation. He has to go before the 20th. Fast track impeachment and do what is needed. If the Republicans block it, let it be on the record that they still stand behind this man.

Damn that leftist cancel culture, just as bad as the right.. It's censorship I tell ya!

Sen. Josh Hawley’s book dropped by Simon & Schuster following Capitol Hill riot
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...ot/6589448002/
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Damn that leftist cancel culture, just as bad as the right.. It's censorship I tell ya!

Wow, the constitution guarantees Americans a book deal, advance, and an agent in the First Amendment.

Didn't know Free Speech includes that as well. The US constitution is truly a wondrous document where simple words can mean anything.

What a leader!
    Hey, not for nothing, but have you considered finding a therapist that specializes in cult deprogramming?

(not joking)
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post

Hadn't they already dropped a book from Milo, the previous entitled jackass, dapper white face?

Maybe just don't give a platform or voice to those who enable international headlines national embarrassments, it's not as if the people looking to QAnonize themselves won't still find a way.

PHYSICIAN/PSYCHIATRIST WAKANDA FOREVER!'s Avatar

Per CNN, Betsy DeVos is bouncing too

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Hey, not for nothing, but have you considered finding a therapist that specializes in cult deprogramming?

(not joking)
    I don't need one because I am not in a cult.

As for my aunt I have many times stated that she needs some firm of help. And she has many times gotten angry and went on about how great trump is, antifa, blm, blah blah. I'm done let hey live in her bubble. I have not engaged her but the one time today. It turns out ignoring her rants and shutting my bed room door in her face is much better as she thrives on the conflict and when I give her line it drives her nuts. It hs also made me less stressed in the long run. I'm done engaging, I am done giving her space in my head. I am done talking about her and her but job ideas.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WAKANDA FOREVER! View Post
    Per CNN, Betsy DeVos is bouncing too
    The rats are abandoning the sinking ship. Makes me wonder who’s next.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

That sounds scientifically suspect to me. I mean we have evolutionary evidence that pre-Homo Sapiens intermarried one another.
    It's called tribalism. And racists marry and are attracted to peoples they are racist against, doesn't make them not racist.

And reducing stuff to "us vs them" as some primal human instinct is also dubious from a psychological perspective, since it hinges on inherent human instincts without factoring society and the role of nurture.
    That's a big part of that racism is about, there's a reason for the term "Othering."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ology-othering

One of the powerful lessons of the social and behavioral sciences pertains to the ineradicable nature of the ingroup/outgroup effect (Billig & Tajfel, 1973). In short, this effect speaks to how we differentially treat those whom we see as "in our group" versus those whom we see as some kind of "other," meaning someone who is defined as in "some group other than my own group."

Sure, this all can be found with ethnic and religious groups. But it is more basic than that. The ingroup/outgroup phenomenon has been found across pretty much any and all ways that people divide themselves into social groups.
    I don't know how leftists are this optimistic about humanity's nature, given history and current events. As if racism were a thing that were easy to solve. Humanity is composed of many things, nature and nurture and racists get encouragement for both all over the world. Societies are hotbeds where racism is entrenched, there is no nation who are hostiles to "outsiders" and racism.

Slavery in the form of Ancient World slavery or Transatlantic Slavery is extinct. The examples you cite do not disprove that claim.
    Slavery has many forms, it's still slavery and then there's the industries in the criminals world like sex slavery, white slavery, prison slavery and slavery in general. It's a booming industry, what it is is hidden from society so people don't know how large it is.

It really is not.
    Republicans love kings, and treat their presidents and aristocrats as royalty in all but name. But Trump is not a king, he is a deity to his cult.

There's also seeing or insisting on continuity when there isn't. Or making a dubious error in logic by transforming metaphors as a means to explain and make legible a complex situation into something where the metaphor and the actual thing are interchangable.
    The themes are consistent, it's not like conservatives like change. They want to go back in time, not forward.

True, but that doesn't exactly disprove my argument. Anti-semitism as a continuous presence in European life dates to about the Crusades when the first major recorded pogroms happened during the so-called "People's Crusade". That doesn't mean there weren't problems before but the form of oppression in terms of anti-semitism is not an eternal problem that cannot be overcome.
    It's incredibly insidious even the left has trouble with antisemitism in its ranks. Its incredibly difficult to snuff out on both sides of the political aisle. That assumes humanity has made significant progress in eradicating anti-semitism, which I disagree with.

In the ancient world, in Rome and Greece in particular, fathers had the right to murder infants if they were born with deformities or had disabilities of any kind, since those societies saw these as signs of ill favor. Babies who were rejected were dumped in trash heaps (the stuff you never see in Hollywood or British dramas about Rome). And that was all legal.
    What does that have to do with anything?

Is that still a thing in today's day and age. Does the most extreme right-wing Republican advocate values and ideas like this?

So again, not all forms of oppression are eternal or built to last, or impossible for humanity to overcome.
    Yes, why do you assume they don't? They openly court Nazis.

Except we have no examples of racism being overcome, it's not a disease we can wipe out with antibiotics.