Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Reality is a hell of a drug.
    I'd give them til the end of the month when the Biden Administration's DOJ and FBI goes after them. Then they all will know they have been had. While they were committing crimes in public, Trump was back in the WH watching it on TV and laughing about it.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Apparently that wasn't an accurate report.

NPR just updated their page:

U.S. Capitol Police say the report that one of its officers had died after being assaulted by violent protesters loyal to President Trump is not accurate. NPR incorrectly reported the death based on information from a well-placed source.

"Although some officers were injured and hospitalized yesterday, no USCP officers have passed away," Capitol Police said in a statement. "We ask that our officers' and their families' privacy be respected at this time. Should a statement become necessary, the Department will issue one at the appropriate time."
    The update is not pleasant.

WASHINGTON — A police officer with the U.S. Capitol Police suffered a stroke after being at the Capitol during riots and is now on life support, according to the force's union Chairman Gus Papathanasiou.

The union chairman originally told WUSA9 that the officer had passed away, but is now saying he's on life support until his family can arrive.

The name of the officer has not yet been released, but the union said he is a 15-year veteran of the force and 40 years old. No information was given on where the officer was stationed around the Capitol on Wednesday as a mob of Trump supporters breached the Capitol.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

PHYSICIAN/PSYCHIATRIST WAKANDA FOREVER!'s Avatar

Capitol Popo refused offers of back up, per AP news
    Last edited by WAKANDA FOREVER!; 01-07-2021 at 08:51 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    It would make sense. They can pretend "principle" while well getting well clear of anything that might have the MAGAts paying visits to their houses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    If that's the case I hope the decision came from jumping up in the middle of the night in cold sweat from a nightmare of being garrote'd by a MAGAmad hatter. Several times, and after the inauguration too.

They own it.
    No doubt they saw the picture of that one MAGA maggot dressed in black with the sidearm and zip ties and said, “Nope! No sir! Kill that noise! Don’t want none of that!”

Well, shit! What did those morons expect? Didn’t they get the memo about how Trump throws anyone and everyone under the bus? I don’t have so much as one iota of pity for those dopes who got themselves played like a cheap fiddle.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Well, shit! What did those morons expect? Didn’t they get the memo about how Trump throws anyone and everyone under the bus? I don’t have so much as one iota of pity for those dopes who got themselves played like a cheap fiddle.
    There's that twitter meme about the Leopard Eating Faces Party...about people signing up for the Leopard Eating Faces Party and upon finding their faces eaten realize that the leopard was in fact a leopard and they're just meat to it.

Astonishing Member

Trump Whined to Advisers: Why Can’t I Tweet?!

Multiple sources with knowledge of the matter and who have been in contact with Trump since Wednesday say he continues to insist he did absolutely nothing wrong, that senior officials and party leaders backing away from him are cowards, and that he also wants people to look into baseless rumors that antifa radicals infiltrated the MAGA protest and riot this week.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Astonishing Member

There's that twitter meme about the Leopard Eating Faces Party...about people signing up for the Leopard Eating Faces Party and upon finding their faces eaten realize that the leopard was in fact a leopard and they're just meat to it.
    Or "He who rides a tiger is afraid to dismount", but that applies to GOP operatives, these people were made to believe for years they were hugging a kitty pillow every night and now Freddy Krueger will eat their faces whole in law enforcement shape.

Astonishing Member

Are you seriously calling Neanderthals racist? I mean just on the basis of history and anthropology and common sense, that's a howler.

And again the concept of "tribalism" implies that all tribes behaved this way at all times and all places which again is not accepted by anthropologists among others.
    No, I was saying that they had tribalism. Every species does.

Do you think people can't be racist when they have sex with/marry/date people from those very same ethnicities they despise?

Moving the goals posts, are you seriously telling me you don't believe in Othering or tribalism as psychological concepts?

Which is a lot more complex than what you define and excerpt here. Nor is that the only excerpt and understanding of that.
    What I quoted is a relevant definition of Othering. The fact Othering is a broader concept is semantics.

Assumptions about a static human nature, or an inherent human nature, is inherently aristocratic and also quite wrong.
    Why do you assume it's assumptions? As if it hasn't been studied meticulously by professionals in universities and research groups for years and years who know what they're talking about. Wrong how? What proof do you offer to refute these facts? Humanity isn't static but it does have problems with tribalism and othering going back centuries if not longer. And it's not confined to racism, we see it in sports. It's why people are so quick to defend their home teams from rivals. That's just one example, it includes all media. It's why Marvel vs DC became a thing, and I'm talking about back in the 60's, not DCEU vs MCU.

Aristos in earlier times assumed peasants and others were inherently subhuman and poverty meant that you had no culture, no contribution, and nothing to offer. And yet the waltz, the big fancy balroom dance aristos did in period dramas originated among the peasantry.
    What does this have to do with anything? Learning the waltz has nothing to do with solving racism. It's not about viewing people as subhuman as acknowledging how difficult solving racism is. This isn't as simple as learning a dance by wealthy feudal lords. That has to do with learning, not solving incredibly complex systems like racism.

Not being easy to solve does not mean impossible to solve.
    We have seen nothing of the sort to prove it's solvable. No country in history has solved this and we're not any closer to doing this.

This weird '90s style "end-of-history" attitude that people here voice, assumes that since racism wasn't solved in their youth or by their parents, or by themselves, that means it cannot be solved...is really arrogant and childish. Again that the current generation cannot seem to solve it in their lifetime doesn't mean it can't be, or won't be solved eventually.
    It's not about the current generation, it's about all generations and I haven't seen a good argument that they're wrong. Where's the proof that racism is solvable? History didn't being with our generation, it was built on by thousands of generations before us back to the beginning of mankind and stretches back to our non-human ancestors. They didn't just try to solve racism yesterday and give up. Solved eventually based on what, though? What progress has been made that we're near the end of the tunnel? Lately humanity has been regressing globally with fascism coming back.
    I'd love for racism to be solved but I'm going to need more then hope in humanity that it'll be solved.

In the ancient world, it was legal and normal and preached by philosophers to conquerors to sack cities and sell inhabitants to slavery and donate slaves as gifts to people and so on. Philosophers like Cicero owned slaves and he came to be called "righteous Pagan" by Christian writers. Aristotle admonished Alexander the Great for...*gasp* not selling the Persians as chattel to every Greek person and instead treating them with dignity and so on. Alexander had this weirdly progressive sentiment that people from different backgrounds and faith could be equal in his empire with Greeks and Persians becoming one people. He was also a bloodthirsty warlord who loved battle...but I'll go product-of-his-time and slide that by.

Heck Popes owned slaves (a fact that the Catholic Church doesn't like talking about). There was one called Pope Gregory the Great, which the church still calls him by even if he really isn't great.

That kind of slavery isn't in force today.
    Legal slavery exists, it's just not identical to that sort of slavery because slavery evolved. Third world countries are rife with this. There's not just one kind of slavery. Do you think sex slavery isn't slavery?

I am an atheist. And one of the advantages of being an atheist is that you don't have to worry so much about "the problem of evil", i.e. if evil exists then why doesn't God not do anything. As an atheist, god doesn't exist, but neither does the devil, nor are they anthropomorphic spirits that embody and typify vices and virtues which lead people astray.
    This isn't about god and you're not the only atheist here, it's about human nature and psychology. This isn't about "evil" it's about human attitudes. Despite being an atheists it's strange why you'd tilt the conversation to human nature being governed by religious concepts, concepts which were involved in amplifying division though tribalism and othering for institutions and authority to control people through supernatural beliefs to explain why the world is like it is.

The existence of difficult and hard to resolve problems at present doesn't disprove my claim or argument that these problems can be overcome and not inherently something that will last forever. Nor is saying that these problems can be overcome constitute a denial of the existence of these problems.
    Except you haven't said anything to back your claims other than you think it can be solved and it's not impossible. How? Why? How does that dispute the industries of professionals this and human history?

If you're an atheist and problems exist in society then that means those problems come from humanity and logically speaking it follows that any problem created by humanity can be solved by humanity.
    Just because problems comes from humanity doesn't mean they'll be solved by us. We haven't solved many, many things - racism is just another thing to the pile we haven't solved. Humanity is far more complex than you think.

Since the humor in the cruelty is the spice of life, has anybody here got any info on how the sane members of Kellyanne Conway's household are reacting to recent events?

It wouldn't surprise me if her husband has lost his voice from all the gleeful cackling.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Moving the goals posts, are you seriously telling me you don't believe in Othering or tribalism as psychological concepts?
    Othering is a social process that impacts human psychology by means of environment and other conditions, but it isn't an inherent human trait psychologically speaking.

Why do you assume it's assumptions?
    Because it is.

As if it hasn't been studied meticulously by professionals in universities and research groups for years and years who know what they're talking about.
    A lot of those professionals in universities would agree with me, but that's besides my point.

Wrong how? What proof do you offer to refute these facts?
    Does western society mandate and legally cover infanticide of the infirm and disabled babies and dump bodies in trash heaps? You didn't respond to my example. Take the death penalty. A lot of countries in the world, in the western world don't use the death penalty even on the truly guilty and a good chunk of US States too.

Where's the proof that racism is solvable?
    The fact that other things which seemed insurmountable are now a dead and done thing.

Just because problems comes from humanity doesn't mean they'll be solved by us.
    The point is the problems can be solved and is solvable. My point is you can't assume that something is going to be eternal and long lasting or permanent just because you can't see an end to it in your lifetime. Nor does the lack of an end to something in your lifetime mean that action is useless or just some cyclical thing. Nor can you assume that your angst and your despair is some sort of cosmic universal condition.

Again, there are problems that humanity has no control or say over. An asteroid could hit Earth with an impact that causes a second Toba catastrophe unleashing an extinction event. Racism is a problem that humanity can solve and has control over, by comparison. That the problem is difficult and hard to surmount does not mean it can't be done.

Astonishing Member

Just heard on the radio that DC mayor is appointing a joint terrorism task for to look for and arrest these rioters. I guess that means they might be prosecuted for terrorism?

I don't really like calling it 'Tribalism' anyway, because actual tribes are frequently more accepting than the exclusionary supposed social groups we're talking about here.