Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    In order to serve the Presidency a President should have served at least four years in state or federal offices or 8 years in local offices and been in good standing. It is the highest form of office in the country and it has become abundantly clear that we can no longer have someone who is for the lack of a better term; taken off the street. Whoever shall hold office needs to have some idea of what they are doing and as such need to have a background in politics. This way the public not only knows what they're in for but indicate to those they may potentially be serving with how they act in office.

Donald Trump was a costly mistake for America and it has done nothing but brought shame and death to this nation. To avoid this happening in the future it is imperative that this be a requirement because if anything the Trump's have proved that just any schmuck can't run the country, there needs experience.
    I think the problem in this line of reasoning is that it implies that the central problem with Trump's presidency was his incompetence; he was inexperienced as a politician, ignorant of appropriate procedure and protocol, so that's why his administration was a dumpster fire.

Not saying he wasn't ignorant and incompetent, because he was and is, but unfortunately those are not his worst features. I think you could get, say -- a car mechanic, a musician, maybe a teacher -- who is also emotionally stable and is capable of basic compassion and empathy, and somehow elect them into the role of president, and despite their not having any experience or really being cut out for politics at all, I'd predict their administration would be less damaging than this one.

Plus, W's administration was a dumpster fire too, and he'd been a governor. Nah, the problem is not that he hadn't been in public office. It's that he's a terrible human being.
    Last edited by Adam Allen; 01-08-2021 at 09:28 PM.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    No, BB, I must disagree. It might distract from other, more useful work, but as others have said, it will require legislators to inescapably declare a side. That may become important when investigations get to the bottom of 1/6's travesty. Even if doesn't dislodge the seditionists, it may limit their freedom of action in the next two years.
    It also, in a purely cold-blooded and pragmatic sense, gives those who vote to impeach and punish him the greatest example they can point to of they themselves standing for actual “law and order” and undermine that entire attack strategy of the GOP.

Combine that with investigation into the Russian bounties on US troops, publicize both as loud as you can, and you can use them as a wedge to further isolate and divide the Republican Party, which is extremely necessary at the moment.

Frankly, you need to give both the moderate, the liberals, and the progressives ammunition to rhetorically castrate any opponent who claims patriotism, strength, and peace as their core attitudes, while still being a Trumper.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    It also, in a purely cold-blooded and pragmatic sense, gives those who vote to impeach and punish him the greatest example they can point to of they themselves standing for actual “law and order” and undermine that entire attack strategy of the GOP.

Combine that with investigation into the Russian bounties on US troops, publicize both as loud as you can, and you can use them as a wedge to further isolate and divide the Republican Party, which is extremely necessary at the moment.

Frankly, you need to give both the moderate, the liberals, and the progressives ammunition to rhetorically castrate any opponent who claims patriotism, strength, and peace as their core attitudes, while still being a Trumper.
    The Dems need to start waving the bloody shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Trump era shows:

-there are no secure checks & balances in govt

-the future of free & fair elections is under increasing threat

-police & military can’t be relied on to protect govt b/c of close affiliation w fascist movement

Folks saying otherwise aren’t paying attention
    There definitely was questionable and likely complicit stuff, from telling other agencies they wouldn't need back up, to taking down barriers and taking selfies with the insurgents ... would-be insurgents, whatever ... but anyway, I think we should give credit to the fact that however many of the police present may have been in on it, the majority did do their jobs. If they hadn't, we would have seen members of congress captured, if not actually killed.

I think a much stronger defensive presence from the start could likely have prevented their entering the capitol at all, but once they got their little insurrection running, at urging from the president no less -- I think legit government forces showing as much restraint as reasonably possible while keeping Congress safe was the right way to go. I'm sure they had enough people defending to just start shooting into the crowd, but even if that worked to turn them away ... things would have gotten much, much worse, after that.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Watching Rachel Maddow, she reports that McConnell is saying he wont begin any trial of Trump until January 19th, because of course he would.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Watching Rachel Maddow, she reports that McConnell is saying he wont begin any trial of Trump until January 19th, because of course he would.
    Honestly at this point it’s symbolic anyways, makes me think they want to impeach and convict but do it at a date it won’t matter. He loses it one day early

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Are we being too hard on those "poor working class volk" who stormed the Capitol to end the tyranny of the "ruling class"?
    NO.

Working class folks are not going to act like that. They will want actual FACTUAL information.

For all the crap tossed about BLM-at least you had something FACTUAL for the reason they marched. While folks will scream about the looting and damage to property-that was a result of the "other" side that wanted to get stuff free and destroy stuff-without understanding consequences. Along with the fact the police and Trump Supporters HELPED in some of that fighting and mess.

These folks waltz in and pretty much were left alone. And all these arrest and firings are saving face moves. Because you let them all go untouched or unpunished will only rile up folks.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Trump era shows:

-there are no secure checks & balances in govt

-the future of free & fair elections is under increasing threat

-police & military can’t be relied on to protect govt b/c of close affiliation w fascist movement

Folks saying otherwise aren’t paying attention
    There are checks and balances, but they're not perfect. No government system is perfect.

Yes, and? It's not like the Democrats aren't fighting to stop this.

They can, but they can be compromised and infiltrated, everyone knows this. There is no political party ever who has been able to stop both those concepts from happening to their governments. Including leftist governments. You know who's rounding up the insurrections right now? The FBI, not a leftist militia.

Please stop exploiting this to hurt Democrats, it was the GOP who are your enemy. Or are they? Congress just got attacked by insurrectionists this week and slamming Democrats is the higher priority?
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 01-08-2021 at 10:56 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    I think the problem in this line of reasoning is that it implies that the central problem with Trump's presidency was that he incompetence; he was inexperienced as a politician, ignorant of appropriate procedure and protocol, so that's why his administration was a dumpster fire.

Not saying he wasn't ignorant and incompetent, because he was and is, but unfortunately those are not his worst features. I think you could get, say -- a car mechanic, a musician, maybe a teacher -- who is also emotionally stable and is capable of basic compassion and empathy, and somehow elect them into the role of president, and despite their not having any experience or really being cut out for politics at all, I'd predict their administration would be less damaging than this one.

Plus, W's administration was a dumpster fire too, and he'd been a governor. Nah, the problem is not that he hadn't been in public office. It's that he's a terrible human being.
    It's a filter, not a magic bullet. We'd have got Dubya but we wouldn't have got Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I didn't expect anything different. And it is his way if helping the party. No way they have a trial and vote in one day. Mcconnell because if his age is in his last term. So who cares who is mad at him is his thought. Now the gop in the senate do not have to pussy of trumpers by voting to impeach. And on the flip they can leave it up in the air on if they would have voted to aquit and since they don't have to vote to let trump go they can play the I didn't let him go card. Mitch is taking one for the team. The Dems wanted the gop in record as saving trump. Mitch is taking that off the table and saving trump and those who would save him
    Last edited by babyblob; 01-08-2021 at 09:22 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Gotta say, that sounds relatable.

There were times I've been suspended and banned from sites (for the correct reasons I will add) and the sensation of losing access to a place where your opinion had a place really does sting and does in fact raise your pressure. It feels like losing a body part almost.

So yeah, I kinda get what Trump feels now that he's permabanned from social media.

He deserves it, and so did I*.

* To those who want to ask, no I didn't post right-wing or racist stuff or trollish stuff, but I broke the content and rhetoric rules and so on.

BANNED

A remarkable deeply sad story about Representative Jamie Raskin who had a week that puts most to shame.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...attack/617609/

He buried his son and the next day he came on Wednesday on Jan 6 and asked his daughters to accompany him to the certification. He spent the entire day hiding worried about his daughters who were barricaded separately and were defended by congressional aide with a fire iron.

The next day he started work on drafting articles of impeachment.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 01-08-2021 at 10:59 PM.

Extraordinary Member

If I were a Dem member of Congress... I would put an aide on the distasteful duty of scrubbing through the internet, media and intelligence reports for every instance of someone in the MAGA crowd both at the Capitol and elsewhere already declaring their hatred of the non-Trump members of the GOP, from merely heckling and promising to vote and challenge them in primaries up through the death threats and the zip-ties and pipe bombs.

I would then take the file they make with that to quietly isolate whatever Senators I know are most vulnerable to pressure or who still have some kind of spine, and start spelling out the inevitable clash they will have with the MAGA folks regardless of how much they try to toe the line or hide (Graham getting jeered repeatedly even after he tried to walk back his criticism again would be especially useful here) and try and quietly convince their pragmatic side that the fight they wish to avoid is already coming for them... so their best option is to turn their knives on the movement here, and fatally wound it politically before the opportunity is gone and it catches up to them at the next primary... or in the middle of the night.

We know there’s plenty of genuine distaste for Trump in Senatorial ranks even among the GOP, but that they fear being challenged in primaries and losing what power they have. So I would try and target the lizard part of their brain that wants power above all else, and try and convince them their best path to keeping it is sticking at Trump now, next week, and weather the storm now before digging the new trenches for whatever MAGA nut job challenges them then.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I see I missed a lot.