BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    More like "Gitmo...", but I guess you gotta start somewhere.
    Sending these a--holes to Gitmo will probably start the ball rolling on shutting down Guantanamo which is an embarassment and national shame in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Sending these a--holes to Gitmo will probably start the ball rolling on shutting down Guantanamo which is an embarassment and national shame in any case.
    Not seeing the downside.

Boisterously Confused

After January 6, my response to this is:

Attachment 104607

The Trump Putsch is a manifestation of the militia attacking the security of a free State what with these ex-AAF and ex-veterans, off-duty cops, and other shadier types.

For these people, for the ones who tried to murder Governor Whitmer, they believe the 2nd Amendment is the constitution and nothing else counts.
    My point was, SCOTUS abandoned any implication of societal responsibility in the bearing of arms. As I read that opening phrase, it means "the community shouldn't let the village nitwit have a gun, and should have a system [hence the term 'well regulated'] for training those that do." SCOTUS thought otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    Wouldn't that be up to the Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer?
    If he can pull it off, an anonymous vote on impeachment would be interesting.

Anyway, the issue of the jury is a concern for Trump's defense. It's not for anyone else to be bothered by.

If need be you can draw a jury from a Native American reservation, they can be fairly neutral about this.
    The prosecution would also care.

They don't want a jury of Trump supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I agree. As reasonable as we all claim to be. There is no one really with an open mind on this. At least not to the sense that one persons views will change our minds. Our minds are already made up. And if in a trial on this matter I doubt that I could be fair.
    It might have to be people who just don't follow politics.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The original intent of the 2nd Amendment is quite obvious. The originalist Justices ignore it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

This 60mns excerpt from Pelosi's CBS conversation.

Pelosi gives a tour of her broken office, and she says her laptop was stolen.

There's one scary bit where she says that when the rioters entered, her young staff had to hide under the table in one part of the office and close the lights and they recorded audio of the door being breached.

She also dodges a genuinely real criticism from the anchor for House Leadership being a trio of octogenerarians and dodging criticism that she hasn't done enough to boost younger Reps in position of leadership. But that's classic Pelosi.

She also dodges a genuinely real criticism from the anchor for House Leadership being a trio of octogenerarians and dodging criticism that she hasn't done enough to boost younger Reps in position of leadership. But that's classic Pelosi.
    While I'm the last person who is about to go to bat for how the Democratic Party handles that particular aspect of things?

No reason that it can't sit on a back burner, and simmer for a month or two. Plenty of actual "Up On The Front Burners..." stuff happening now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While I'm the last person who is about to go to bat for how the Democratic Party handles that particular aspect of things?

No reason that it can't sit on a back burner, and simmer for a month or two. Plenty of actual "Up On The Front Burners..." stuff happening now.
    Pelosi is fortunate that way. Always lands on her feet.

All ribbing aside, she's a formidable politician and done both good and bad, and on balance a more progressive House Dem Leader than we could have had otherwise, probably.

Anyway, hopefully we get the Public Option out of Biden's term? Let's see.

That seems to have become the moderate centrist position now that Medicare 4 All's here (the public option used to be the extreme). Eventually the Left need to come up with something even more radical to make M4A and the GND the moderate centrist approach.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

In any case, Pelosi has said this is her last term....she's going to retire. I for one admire her and think she is a class act. I really believe it when she would say she was praying for the President but no amount of prayer would help . He's a soulless narcissistic sociopath...maybe an exorcist would be of more help
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-10-2021 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    In any case, Pelosi has said this is her last term....she's going to retire.
    That's the best case for getting the "A...". "B...", and "C..." team of future leadership riding along with Mr. Sheperd.

Discounting Trump and his followers is what led to the 6th happening. Maybe nothing more happens. I think that would be great. But the fact that two days after terrorists attacked the capital armed men stood for hours outside the Kentucky capital demanding the governor resign and the election be over turned. All this bs that they were armed for self defense when several talked about how they can talk the government back any time they want. This people are not going to go away just because Trump is not on Twitter.
    The tasks of the democrats (with a small “d”) will be to marginalize people who doesn’t want to follow democratic rules: you cannot denounce electoral frauds if you don’t have evidences. What is the best way to do it? Trump’s supporters identify with him. I tend to think it’s better not to give to Trump the opportunity to play the victim. Trump “the loser” is what it’s the worst for him as pictures are everything for him, the vain man.

Last night I told her she needs to find another place to live because I just cant take this any more. I love her but I cant have this in my home any more.
    If you love her, tell her. To live in a united America — and it will take time — it will be necessary to separate people from their political opinions. With some people, I understand, it will be impossible. But not all people who have voted Trump are like the ones who attacked the Capitol.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Saw this on Twitter, and it makes sense:

Screenshot_2021-01-11 Stacey on Twitter.jpg
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

An 18-Year-Old Saw Her Mom, Aunt, And Uncle In DC In A Video — So She Named Them

Helena Duke, 18, thought it was odd when her mom shut off her location on a phone-tracking app that they share earlier this week. Her mom, Therese Duke, had told her vaguely that she was taking Helena’s aunt for a procedure. But Helena suspected that her Trump-supporting mom may have secretly traveled to Washington, DC, for the delusional last-ditch "Stop the Steal" rally.

On Thursday morning, Helena's cousin had sent her a viral video of a physical encounter on the streets of DC filmed Tuesday, the night before the Capitol was raided.

Watching the clip, Helena identified her mom, her aunt Annie Lorenz, and her uncle Richard Lorenz as part of a group of white people confronting a Black woman who had hit Therese in the face after she had tried to grab her.

"My initial reaction was more like, Oh my gosh, I was right. I was actually right about them being there," Helena told BuzzFeed News. "It was very surreal because it was an insane video, first of all, and then it was the revelation that, Oh, that’s my mother. That’s her."

Stunned to see her mom, Helena decided to tweet about the video and identified her family members as the people in it. "hi mom remember the time you told me I shouldn't go to BLM protests bc they could get violent...this you?" she wrote.

The Man Accused Of Bringing Zip Ties To The US Capitol Has Been Arrested

The FBI arrested Eric Gavelek Munchel on Sunday after a photo that appeared to be him went viral.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The Man Accused Of Bringing Zip Ties To The US Capitol Has Been Arrested

The FBI arrested Eric Gavelek Munchel on Sunday after a photo that appeared to be him went viral.

He was just holding them for the police, honest!