1. #23206
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I just realized that the GOP were like, "WE HAVE OUR OWN VERSION OF THE SQUAD NOW! LOOKIT THESE FRESH YOUNG FACES!"

    Those folks in their "new blood"? The 2020 "Young Guns"? Boebert, Greene, Cawthorne are three of them. Like, the majority of the Squad the GOP just got are likely going to get expelled for sedition.

    Meanwhile, they're trying to push Liz Cheney out the door. There are fewer an fewer women in the GOP caucus and the ones they're ushering in may as well be using a revolving door because they're too stupid to not try to overthrow the government if they can't control all three branches of it.
    Rolling Stone put Alexandria Ocasio Cortez and Ilhan Omar on their cover with Nancy Pelosi.

    Is there any equivalent spotlight in a conservative media source for Boebert and Greene?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  2. #23207
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    4,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    First things first...

    I do not consider ambition to be a negative trait or a critical trait. Ambition is needed in anything in life, be it politics or arts or any such thing.

    Nobody gets into politics, leave alone becoming famous in politics, without ambition. Bernie Sanders is ambitious, so is AOC.
    Not all politician ambitions are the same. Not very politician wants to be president. I didn't say having the ambition to be president was a negative, that's the connotations the right wing put on Hillary to discredit her.

    First of all, primarying a sitting incumbent of your party has a common history. Ed Kennedy did it to Jimmy Carter in the '70s, and that's the "Lion of the Senate".

    Bernie only talked about it, but decided once he saw how immensely popular Obama was.
    He shouldn't have done this at all, the fact he did this speaks volumes of his character and it isn't good. Carter's loss is how we got Reagan. AOC is more loyal to the Democrats than he ever was, even when they give him plum assignments.

    Not by me he isn't.
    You described him as selfless.

    And I am saying AOC is aware of that, and that's why she wouldn't do it.
    Yet you're insisting that AOC is going to be president one day as if she's built her career for that goal. Like Hillary did.

    Her win over Crowley, a high ranking member of the House Leadership was a major upset at the time. And considered shocking.
    Sure, but that's not the whole context. A big reason why she was able to do this was because Crowley continued stepping on a rake and took his seat for granted, not every Democrat she runs against is going to be that stupid. AOC wasn't also a known factor at that stage, not every politician is going to be caught off guard like Crowley was. She has never done this against someone like Cuomo or Schumer. AOC did an admirable job and deserve credit for her win over Crowley, but she did that by not underestimating him and not every election is going too favor her like that did. She gets sloppy like Crowley, she's going to the next Crowley.

    Cuomo's got a halo around his handling of COVID-19, for better and for worse, and good and bad.
    He doesn't need Covid to win elections, look what happened to the Sex and the City actress who tried that. Man, she was bad wouldn't even endorse Cuomo after he won.

    But even then in the recent elections of 2020, the Dems got a Supermajority which means they can override Cuomo trying to veto their legislation. The Dem Supermajority came from strong support of the Worker's Family Party which pushed the State Dems of NY to the Left. Cuomo came to the scene as a centrist, who at times cut deals with Republicans at the expense of his party mandate to cultivate personal power but that might not work in 2022.
    Yes? How does this make AOC get the advantage? He's far from weak electorally in New York. What Cuomo did was not stand procedure for centrist Democrat, he acted more like a corrupt Florida Democrat who was friends/allies of the opposition. Compromsie is not just selling out to the highest bidder like he did, that's something else.

  3. #23208
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    7,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I just realized that the GOP were like, "WE HAVE OUR OWN VERSION OF THE SQUAD NOW! LOOKIT THESE FRESH YOUNG FACES!"

    Those folks in their "new blood"? The 2020 "Young Guns"? Boebert, Greene, Cawthorne are three of them. Like, the majority of the Squad the GOP just got are likely going to get expelled for sedition.

    Meanwhile, they're trying to push Liz Cheney out the door. There are fewer an fewer women in the GOP caucus and the ones they're ushering in may as well be using a revolving door because they're too stupid to not try to overthrow the government if they can't control all three branches of it.
    Apparently, Nicole Malliotakis angled to make herself the right-wing AOC in the weeks between her unseating Rep. Max Rose of Staten Island and the Putsch (of which she was a major enabler as someone who objected to the certification of votes and was a vocal Trump-nut). Rose was part of the Blue Wave of 2018 that saw Dem gains in red districts that got partly undone in 2020. (https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...c-squad-450165) She talked of building a right-wing coalition of people who fled "socialism". To which I say, sure Jan. But anyway, the RNC after the 2018 Blue Wave figured out that they needed to bring more conservative women to take back those swing districts and that was the approach they took in 2020 and it brought them some success, so yeah the GOP is taking inspiration from "the Squad" but at the end of the day it doesn't matter in terms of a long term party consolidation.

    AOC had a big influence in pushing the Democratic Party substantially to the left, boosted Bernie Sanders' campaign after his heart attack to make him competitive and is one of the party's top fundraisers in little more than 2 years and also boosted and elevated progressives -- established (Sen. Markey, who she helped clobber a Kennedy in his home field) and emerging (Rep. Bowman who repeated her feat of toppling a major House Democrat leader). And she did that mostly on her own.

    Whereas all these Republican Red Wavers of 2020 coasted on Trump rather than their own brand. Malliotakis tacked hard to Trump in her campaign against Rose, and used racist ads in Staten Island (which works because...Staten Island) such as slamming Max Rose for marching in a BLM rally and attacking him for showing empathy for black victims and tarring that with "defund the police".

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Rolling Stone put Alexandria Ocasio Cortez and Ilhan Omar on their cover with Nancy Pelosi.

    Is there any equivalent spotlight in a conservative media source for Boebert and Greene?
    Why are Republicans such starf--kers? I mean seriously there's this weird cringe obession with publicity and fame, and magazine photo ops and so on that's a little voyeuristic.

    The reason AOC and the Dems get to be on the cover of Rolling Stones is...the Dems put a historic number of women in the House of Representatives in 2018, and they are led by Nancy Pelosi, the first woman Speaker in history and until this Wednesday, the highest ranking and most powerful, and successful, female politician in US History, especially for one whose political career derived entirely from her and not marriage.

    And again they did this on themselves, in 2018 rather than riding the coattails of Trump as so many Reps and Senators of 2020 in the GOP have done.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    He doesn't need Covid to win elections, look what happened to the Sex and the City actress who tried that. Man, she was bad wouldn't even endorse Cuomo after he won.
    Cynthia Nixon's campaign wasn't pointless or a waste. Her primary challenge to Cuomo pushed him away from the center in significant ways and held him accountable in a major fashion, and Cuomo had to spend and sweat his way to victory. And ultimately, she exposed a vulnerability of Cuomo to the Left that paved the way for the NYS Dems gaining a supermajority in 2020 (much to Cuomo's shock and visible upset) including several members of the WFP that backed her.
    https://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com...nd-the-machine

    Likewise, Cuomo's relationship with the NYS GOP and other conservatives was fractured during the Pandemic because of how visibly and publicly (and justifiably) anti-Trump he had to be, and many NYS Republicans became Pro-Trump in large numbers. So Cuomo's governorship in 2022 isn't an uncontested thing. In fact, Cuomo might think of going into national politics (he's obviously become a Presidential contender somewhere down the line) and as s--ty a governor he was by NYS standards, he might not be so bad on the national level.

    Or maybe he'll flame out like the Democrat version of Giuliani circa 9/11 going from America's Mayor/America's Governor to, well you know.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 01-21-2021 at 10:42 PM.

  4. #23209
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    16,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Don't really care for where this one seems to be heading. Between CPS and Mayor Lightfoot, it feels like someone from the "Enforcement..." corner of things will head right to their "Go To..." when it comes to dealing with working this sort of thing out...

    https://chicago.suntimes.com/educati...teachers-union
    IMO the CTU is too powerful in Chicago. They are one of the reasons why Chicago is in such a deep trouble financially. Their retirement benefits are one of the highest in the country. I really don't think in-home teaching works for a large number of families in Chicago. If it is anything like my sister went through, the parent has to be home at the appointed time for the lessons. What about the working parent trying to keep their job if they have one during this pandemic? A lot of parents in the poor neighborhoods may only rely on a cell phone for the internet access. I wouldn't want to be stuck trying to do a lesson with the child on that small screen.

    The program my sister had to follow on her laptop was pretty crappy and glitchy. I had to help her out with it and so did her adult son. She was helping out with her grandson since he works the dayshift and so does the mother (they are no longer together) . Have they developed a reliable at home curriculum in Chicago? With my sister's grandson, they only had a lesson that lasted about 90 minutes. That is far short of a full day of lessons.

  5. #23210
    Invincible Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    20,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    IMO the CTU is too powerful in Chicago. They are one of the reasons why Chicago is in such a deep trouble financially. Their retirement benefits are one of the highest in the country. I really don't think in-home teaching works for a large number of families in Chicago. If it is anything like my sister went through, the parent has to be home at the appointed time for the lessons. What about the working parent trying to keep their job if they have one during this pandemic? A lot of parents in the poor neighborhoods may only rely on a cell phone for the internet access. I wouldn't want to be stuck trying to do a lesson with the child on that small screen.

    The program my sister had to follow on her laptop was pretty crappy and glitchy. I had to help her out with it and so did her adult son. She was helping out with her grandson since he works the dayshift and so does the mother (they are no longer together) . Have they developed a reliable at home curriculum in Chicago? With my sister's grandson, they only had a lesson that lasted about 90 minutes. That is far short of a full day of lessons.
    That's almost a whole other discussion to be had.

    That said. I'm just not liking that this is starting to look like it will turn into the video for the Frankie Goes To Hollywood tune "Two Tribes"(assuming that isn't too ancient of a reference...)

    That feels like it is just going to make a situation that is already bad even worse. There's already enough issues to address(what you mentioned being an obvious instance...) without it turning into a round of Mortal Kombat before those issues come anywhere close to being addressed.

  6. #23211
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    4,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Cynthia Nixon's campaign wasn't pointless or a waste. Her primary challenge to Cuomo pushed him away from the center in significant ways and held him accountable in a major fashion, and Cuomo had to spend and sweat his way to victory. And ultimately, she exposed a vulnerability of Cuomo to the Left that paved the way for the NYS Dems gaining a supermajority in 2020 (much to Cuomo's shock and visible upset) including several members of the WFP that backed her.
    https://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com...nd-the-machine
    I didn't say Nixon's running was pointless or a waste, I said it was a bad campaign. If AOC was as unprepared as Nixon was she would have lost too Crowley. All that was good, but that was a welcome side affect - she lost her main goal which was to be the next governor. Just because she ran against Cuomo didn't make her a good candidate. He trounced her, 1,021,160 vs 537,192. She got lucky with what she had but she was not ready for Cuomo and it showed. Also, Cuomo was ready for her after AOC's win put him on alert, he didn't hold back. Of course Cuomo spent money on running for election, every remotely practical politician invests in that to win. That wasn't Cuomo "sweating," that was Cuomo going scorched earth because he didn't want to be the next Crowley and he backed it up. She's the only left candidate who lost her election in New York.

    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...cialism-823878

    Nixon not endorsing Cuomo is an embarrassment, she should never run again after doing that. AOC understood this, AOC is tougher than Nixon was but she'd still have a fight on her hands since Cuomo evolves, he had higher numbers than Nixon then when he first ran. That and he's still connected and won't sit on his laurels with allies until he gets challenged.

    This isn't just about Cuomo, he's not the only Democrat in the party who could give AOC trouble in a primary.

    Likewise, Cuomo's relationship with the NYS GOP and other conservatives was fractured during the Pandemic because of how visibly and publicly (and justifiably) anti-Trump he had to be, and many NYS Republicans became Pro-Trump in large numbers. So Cuomo's governorship in 2022 isn't an uncontested thing. In fact, Cuomo might think of going into national politics (he's obviously become a Presidential contender somewhere down the line) and as s--ty a governor he was by NYS standards, he might not be so bad on the national level.
    That's hardly proof AOC has the advantage over him in an election. I didn't say it was uncontested this just about a theoretical AOC vs high profile Democratic politician election. Cuomo isn't Crowley.

    Or maybe he'll flame out like the Democrat version of Giuliani circa 9/11 going from America's Mayor/America's Governor to, well you know.
    Even if he does someone else will replace him who's just as tough as he is. Not every Democrat is like Crowley, if AOC were to primary Pelosi in the last election she'd have lost.

  7. #23212
    Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    7,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    You don't recall it happening for a pretty obvious reason.

    I wouldn't was a second on talking about treating the symptoms while ignoring that the actual disease was running almost completely unchecked.

    .
    Sorry, I don't get that sentence. Could you rephrase that please, friend?
    Last edited by PaulBullion; 01-22-2021 at 09:52 AM.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

    Hillary was right!

  8. #23213
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    23,409

    Default

    Biden Signs Executive Orders To Battle Pandemic: ‘This Is A Wartime Undertaking’

    The president signed 10 actions designed to focus on mending public trust and overhauling the COVID-19 vaccine rollout.

    **********

    GOP Rep. Andy Harris Tries To Bring Gun Into House Chamber

    Republicans keep complaining about the new metal detectors outside the House chamber. Now we know why. What the fuck is it with these idiots?

    **********

    Sens. Josh Hawley And Ted Cruz Face Ethics Complaint For Roles In Capitol Insurrection

    The complaint filed by seven Democrats follows calls from their colleagues for their expulsion. YES! Those assholes NEED to be thrown out!

    **********

    Republicans Celebrate Democracy After Lying About Fraud, Voting To Overturn Election

    Do Ted Cruz and Kevin McCarthy think people will just forget what they did? I sure as hell won't! Hypocrites and seditionists like them have NO business being in Congress!

    **********

    Woman Accused Of Helping Steal Pelosi’s Laptop Freed From Jail

    Riley June Williams faces theft charges for allegedly taking Pelosi’s laptop, is now in her mother’s custody. This is infuriating! That bitch should be in jail! PERIOD!

    **********

    Trump Returns To A Business Empire Ravaged By Pandemic

    Revenue at the former president’s Doral golf property, his Washington hotel and both his Scottish resorts have declined by 40 percent. I sincerely hope that empire ends up flushed down the toilet.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 01-22-2021 at 02:14 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  9. #23214
    Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    7,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Hell, not just that.

    Who wouldn't bet money that Trump's taxes could provide information about his criminal acts and conflicts of interest?

    Trump is gone, his impact is not. Release the damn things
    We have already seen things that look like money laundering, like Ivanka's consultant fee.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

    Hillary was right!

  10. #23215
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Where The Food Is.
    Posts
    1,406

    Default


  11. #23216
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    23,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    So, he was a Trump Election Observer. I can’t help but wonder what he observed.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  12. #23217
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Why are Republicans such starf--kers? I mean seriously there's this weird cringe obession with publicity and fame, and magazine photo ops and so on that's a little voyeuristic.

    The reason AOC and the Dems get to be on the cover of Rolling Stones is...the Dems put a historic number of women in the House of Representatives in 2018, and they are led by Nancy Pelosi, the first woman Speaker in history and until this Wednesday, the highest ranking and most powerful, and successful, female politician in US History, especially for one whose political career derived entirely from her and not marriage.

    And again they did this on themselves, in 2018 rather than riding the coattails of Trump as so many Reps and Senators of 2020 in the GOP have done.
    I was responding to an impression that the GOP was trying to treat Boebert, Greene and Cawthorne as their own version of the Squad.

    I was wondering if there was any evidence on the level of Rolling Stone doing a cover story with Pelosi, and half of the squad. In 2018, female Democrats flipped two Senate seats and 17 house seats, so it is telling that Rolling Stone focused on House members in safe districts, rather than the ones who could compete in Republican leaning districts.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/07/u...elections.html

    I certainly would not want Fox News or the Federalist to do fawning profiles of extremist Republicans. But I'm curious which Republicans are identifying Cawthorne, Boebert and Greene as their equivalent of the squad.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  13. #23218
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Don't really care for where this one seems to be heading. Between CPS and Mayor Lightfoot, it feels like someone from the "Enforcement..." corner of things will head right to their "Go To..." when it comes to dealing with working this sort of thing out...

    https://chicago.suntimes.com/educati...teachers-union
    Are you against the strike, or more concerned of the potential consequences of declaring the potential strike illegal?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  14. #23219
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Where The Food Is.
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

    - Charles Schultz.

  15. #23220
    Once And Future BAMF Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Nowhere, Montana
    Posts
    546

    Default

    I've got a very bad feeling that as GOP Senators conveniently develop amnesia concerning the events of two weeks ago, they're going to solidify behind Trump in this trial and fail to convict him or bar him from running again. They're stuck in a damned if they do, damned if they don't scenario and ultimately they'll keep propping Trump up because while they just might win in 2024 with him, they almost certainly can't win the next presidential election if the GOP base is warring with itself.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

    Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

    "I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •