Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Yea trump supporters are having a field day with this but it has nothing to do with dems. DC metro that booted them out and it's the responsibility of US leadership to set up accommodations for the troops.
    Plus, it overlooks how Jared and Ivanka made their Secret Service protection detail rent a damn toilet.

Yea trump supporters are having a field day with this but it has nothing to do with dems. DC metro that booted them out and it's the responsibility of US leadership to set up accommodations for the troops.
    Plus, weren't they deployed BEFORE Biden became PotUS?
    Dark does not mean deep.

Yes. And their accommodations weren't great then, either. But don't let facts get in the way of outrage.

Astonishing Member

So Mr. President how’s the whole unity thing going?

Does anyone here really believe the GOP is going to work with Biden and not do anything they can to stifle his agenda at every level with the filibuster? I wish I could be that naive....
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 01-23-2021 at 10:50 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post

So Mr. President how’s the whole unity thing going?

Does anyone here really believe the GOP is going to work with Biden and do anything they can to stifle his agenda at every level with the filibuster? I wish I could be that naive....
    It's the same as the whole "I work for the people of Pittsburg, not Paris" bullshit. They know the Paris Accord has nothing to do with Paris, but it's playing to people who don't.

Demanding Unity, when you sewed the seeds of division for personal and party gain is just hot air. But Biden has openly called for unity, so they'll blame Biden when the country isn't united a few weeks from now.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'm not really interested in "unity" with Neo Nazis that wanted to topple a democracy because they didn't like the results of an election. Or with the party that encouraged, and still hasn't really denounced them. I'm not making fucking peace with that ****. **** off.

Astonishing Member

Didn't Biden sign an executive order for the $1400? I thought I read something about that.

Astonishing Member

Didn't Biden sign an executive order for the $1400? I thought I read something about that.
    No. Biden would still need to get it passed through Congress. He can’t issue stimulus payments through executive orders.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

So apparently Tom Cotton lied about having been an "Army Ranger" while he only took some "Ranger Training" and now his career is over.

Hashtag: #StolenValor.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Here's a tip... when extremists from your party are mentioned?

Spending half the post "criticizing them" and spending the other half a post trying to pretend it's not true or that it's somehow not who your party is right now. Because that's still a defense, and you're talking out of both sides of your mouth.

If you feel that's personal, you could always not run to comment on those stories, because people are obliged to push back on your "hot & cold" approach to the extremists in your party. I understand, that's hard to do, because it is the whole story of the GOP at the moment. You can't go a day without someone dropping white nationalist talking points or defending sedition right now.

It's a real predicament. Maybe if folks had taken a hard stand 5 years ago when people called for such a brave stand, you wouldn't be stuck in it.
    I took it personally because you suggested stuff about me that isn't true. You asked me "are you now going to sink so low as to defend conspiracy theorists/seditionists from your party?" in a response to a post in which I said "I certainly would not want Fox News or the Federalist to do fawning profiles of extremist Republicans."

Someone should be able to read that post as not defending the conspiracy theorists and seditionists. It worries me that you didn't.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

There seems to be a lot of confusion about who ordered what.

From the Associated Press...

https://tinyurl.com/y54v6red

Both the Guard and Capitol Police issued a joint statement Friday afternoon saying they have now coordinated to establish “appropriate spaces” within Congressional buildings for on-duty breaks. The statement noted that off-duty troops have hotel rooms or “other comfortable accommodations.”

The National Guard said it originally moved troops out of the Capitol Rotunda and other spaces to garages at the behest of the Capitol Police. The Guardsmen were allowed back inside late Thursday after reports were widely shared of the conditions in the garages, with few bathrooms and little covering from the cold.

Capitol Police Interim Chief Yogananda Pittman issued a statement Friday saying her agency “did not instruct the National Guard to vacate the Capitol Building facilities.”

But two Capitol Police officers who spoke on condition of anonymity contradicted her statement, saying they were told department higher-ups had ordered the Guardsmen out. It was unclear why. The two officers spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized by the department to speak.

Sen. Jim Inhofe, R-Okla., said that “multiple members of military leadership” had told him a uniformed Capitol Police officer told them to leave the Capitol Visitor Center.

“The troops didn’t move on their own,” said Inhofe, the top Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee. He added: “This isn’t a blame game, but I want to know what happened so we can make sure it can’t happen again.”

Rep. Tim Ryan, D-Ohio, who leads a subcommittee that oversees the Capitol Police budget, said Pittman and other commanders would eventually need to testify about their decision-making.

“If the Capitol Police in any way, shape, or form pushed the Guard out into a cold garage, then there’s going to be hell to pay,” Ryan said . “We’re already trying to re-establish trust with the Capitol Police and we’ve got to figure out exactly what happened.”
    We'll probably get clear answers soon enough.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    So apparently Tom Cotton lied about having been an "Army Ranger" while he only took some "Ranger Training" and now his career is over.

Hashtag: #StolenValor.
    I never understand why people lie about easily verifiable facts.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    They're compulsive liars? Could be.
    Watching television is not an activity.

BANNED

It's not gonna make a dent. Cotton's lie is exaggerating himself to a rank he didn't have but it doesn't falsify his actual record in service in battle which is still a legit thing.

Ronald Reagan lied and exaggerated in his campaigns too, far worse than Cotton. Reagan sat out of World War II and appeared in propaganda movies but on campaign made speeches to the effect that he talked of his on-screen military posing as equivalent to actual service...and people voted in Reagan thinking he was a legit soldier, lol.

Don't you understand...Republicans can lie and face no consequences so long as they promise and deliver an oligarchy for the Aryan white race.

It's dumb. It happens in politics.

Hillary Clinton claimed to be under sniper fire during a visit in Bosnia with Sheryl Crowe and Sinbad to visit US troops.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...selections2008

Richard Blumenthal, the Senator from Connecticut, is another example. He repeatedly talked about his service in Vietnam, when he took multiple deferments before getting a posting in a Marine Reserve unit in DC.

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/18/n...lumenthal.html
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Have you been alive in America the last four years? For almost half the population, it works. I guarantee that Cotton will pay no political price for lying about his service.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!