Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Mitch sided with Paul, the 5 that didn't were Romney, Sasse, Collins, Murkowski, and Toomey, so no big surprises there.
    Funny thing is I remember Mitch saying he would listen to the evidence and give impeachment a fair chance. And some people were thinking he was going to maybe vote to convict. I and a couple others on here a few pages back kind of laughed at that idea. I am not saying he had to convict to make me happy (Which it would have) But is a real back track to what he had said just what a week ago?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Funny thing is I remember Mitch saying he would listen to the evidence and give impeachment a fair chance. And some people were thinking he was going to maybe vote to convict. I and a couple others on here a few pages back kind of laughed at that idea. I am not saying he had to convict to make me happy (Which it would have) But is a real back track to what he had said just what a week ago?
    I guess the electoral calculus he's been doing behind the scenes lead him to decide to let Trump go unpunished, after all we've known for a long time he has no ethics, nor do the vast majority if not all of the other Republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    I guess the electoral calculus he's been doing behind the scenes lead him to decide to let Trump go unpunished, after all we've known for a long time he has no ethics, nor do the vast majority if not all of the other Republicans.
    I would be upset if I expected anything different to happen.

When you abandon your expectations of a reasonable world you will not longer be disappointed.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

But who knows how many nasty / threatening letters he got from loyal Trump-supporters since then?

Anybody know if there's been more vandalism to his home?

Astonishing Member

"I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But who knows how many nasty / threatening letters he got from loyal Trump-supporters since then?

Anybody know if there's been more vandalism to his home?
    Mitch was negotiating power sharing terms with Schummer at the time. Him dropping his demand for the filibuster suggests that he got all he thinks he's going to get, and he no longer needs antagonize the Trumpsters for the Democrats' benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Mitch was negotiating power sharing terms with Schummer at the time. Him dropping his demand for the filibuster suggests that he got all he thinks he's going to get, and he no longer needs antagonize the Trumpsters for the Democrats' benefit.
    Lets see how fast he agree on not using the fillibuster when the covid bill comes into play or something that the GOP really hate.

Boisterously Confused

Lets see how fast he agree on not using the fillibuster when the covid bill comes into play or something that the GOP really hate.
    Once the rules of the Senate are set, there's no turning back until the next session or (more commonly) when the majority changes hands. That's one of the reasons Mitch was able to clog glue anywhere he damned well pleased in the legislative process, b/c he got into the Majority Leader's saddle at a time he had the numbers to stuff anything he liked down the minority's throat.

Astonishing Member
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Once the rules of the Senate are set, there's no turning back until the next session or (more commonly) when the majority changes hands. That's one of the reasons Mitch was able to clog glue anywhere he damned well pleased in the legislative process, b/c he got into the Majority Leader's saddle at a time he had the numbers to stuff anything he liked down the minority's throat.
    So he can not invoke the fillibuster? This whole thing con of confuses me because I have read that they still can use it, and I have read sites that they can not use it and the Dems can pass pretty much anything they need to.

Astonishing Member

So he can not invoke the fillibuster? This whole thing con of confuses me because I have read that they still can use it, and I have read sites that they can not use it and the Dems can pass pretty much anything they need to.
    They will need Sinema and Manchin to be able to filibuster. Or get 2 GOP to help and have Harris break it to change the rules and get legislation through using the nuclear option. Both Sinema and Manchin said they are not down for that and wont even entertain it later.

If they stick to what they said Biden's whole agenda will be fucked. He might be able to get another covid relief plan done in reconciliation with the budget using just Democrats. But Mitch will stall anything else.

And memories are short Democrats can easily lose the slim majority in '22 if we don't get record turnout again.
    Last edited by kidfresh512; 01-26-2021 at 03:12 PM.

This vote doesn't mean no trial this time.

There will be a trial BUT it looks like acquittal will be the outcome.

Unless the trial goes poorly for Trump.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

Unless the trial goes poorly for Trump
    I doubt that, the man himself could walk into the senate and admit that he's guilty and they would still vote to acquit.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

Unless the trial goes poorly for Trump.
    What do you think can possibly happen to make 17 GOP senators do whats right? They were THERE. They were the ones being hunted and hiding under desks and evacuated. They saw the same videos we saw. They heard the same chants of hang mike Pence we did.

It doesn't matter. Their base will be more likely to come for them if they did turn on trump.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    What do you think can possibly happen to make 17 GOP senators do whats right? They were THERE. They were the ones being hunted and hiding under desks and evacuated. They saw the same videos we saw. They heard the same chants of hang mike Pence we did.

It doesn't matter. Their base will be more likely to come for them if they did turn on trump.
    Well the number is 12 now, not 17. Previously, it was 16. So there is progress on that front.

If the outcry during the trial goes from "He's our matyr!" to "He's guilty" from a sizable section of the GOP's (not just Trump's) base, I expect vote switching.

This also could just be show and Mitch will vote guilty. "We tried to stop it but after the trial, I am glad we didn't!" That kinda BS.

That being said, I'm not hopeful.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium