Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

I'm no stock market expert (I put my knowledge into computers and pro wrestling), but I am tickled at the stock manipulation as well as how it's okay when rich dopes do it but the moment regular folks dip their toes into it en masse, all hell breaks loose.

The San Francisco school board is tackling the important issue of making sure their schools are no longer named after problematic white supremacist figures like Abraham Lincoln and Dianne Feinstein.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...on/4283930001/

Abraham Lincoln. Dianne Feinstein. George Washington. Paul Revere.

These names are among ones that must be removed from public schools because of their ties to slavery, oppression, or racism, San Francisco school board officials decided by a 6-1 vote on Tuesday night.

More than a third of the district’s 125 schools made the list of objectionable names, the San Francisco Chronicle reported. Schools will have until April to offer new names, which will then be voted on by board members.

The new namesakes must adhere to a set of guidelines, including that individuals proposed must not have been slave owners or abetted in slavery or genocide, violated human rights violations, or be "known racists and/or white supremacists."

Feinstein, a U.S. senator from California since 1992, was added to the list because she replaced a vandalized Confederate flag as the city's mayor.

Critics had argued that the process was rushed, citing little to no input from historians and a lack of information on the basis for each recommendation. And even before the board's decision, there was opposition of the renaming effort, both within San Francisco and at the national level.

San Francisco Mayor London Breed in December called it "offensive" for SFUSD to be focused on renaming schools in the midst of a global health pandemic.

On Wednesday, Breed said in a statement: "This is an important conversation to have, and one that we should involve our communities, our families, and our students. What I cannot understand is why the School Board is advancing a plan to have all these schools renamed by April, when there isn’t a plan to have our kids back in the classroom by then."

School board members argued that the district is capable of pursuing multiple priorities at the same time, and that the push for renaming schools is timely and important given the country’s racial reckoning.

“It’s a message to our families, our students and our community,” school board member Mark Sanchez said during the meeting. “It’s not just symbolic. It’s a moral message.”
    Can we agree that it's dumb they're working on this now, and that they're going after Lincoln and Feinstein (a current Senator and former Mayor)?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Literally everyone was professing undying love for RGB the day before she died. That went out the window fast.
    Again, read the articles I linked above. They are from 2014. There were calls for her to retire while she was alive during Obama's second term when the Dems had the senate. People feared that the 2014 midterms would lead to the GOP taking control over the Senate, so these were real concerns that existed then.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I've always been of the belief Moscow Mitch sacrificed the House in the 2018 midterms to seat Kegger Kavanaugh on the bench and would've done the same with RBG if she retired early like Democrats insisted (in hindsight) she had done. And, I'm sure Ginsberg knew that too.
    It's not hindsight. There were calls for RBG to retire in 2013 and 2014 when the Dems had the Senate. McConnell wasn't a factor in that time.

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    I'm no stock market expert (I put my knowledge into computers and pro wrestling), but I am tickled at the stock manipulation as well as how it's okay when rich dopes do it but the moment regular folks dip their toes into it en masse, all hell breaks loose.
    Rules for thee but not for me. I would honestly be more impressed if I understood how this stuff worked.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

Elizabeth Warren says that this calls for regulation.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ity-psaki-says
    Lol. The elite can't game the system anymore and now they want government intervention.

Nasdaq president will halt trading if activity matches with socal media chatter

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...o-6405741.html

These people are a joke

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Lol. The elite can't game the system anymore and now they want government intervention.

Nasdaq president will halt trading if activity matches with socal media chatter

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...o-6405741.html

These people are a joke
    Wall Street wants a bailout from people who out-Wall Street them.

Astonishing Member

"I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

The San Francisco school board is tackling the important issue of making sure their schools are no longer named after problematic white supremacist figures like Abraham Lincoln and Dianne Feinstein.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...on/4283930001/

Can we agree that it's dumb they're working on this now, and that they're going after Lincoln and Feinstein (a current Senator and former Mayor)?
    Yes, it is dumb.

Not as dumb as Georgia passing new voter suppression laws and the GOP Mayor of Sequim, Washington making his town Qanon, USA.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...opies-of-id-to

https://news.yahoo.com/mayor-aims-tu...095700235.html

See how I can both sides too?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

To anyone who said over the last four years that we just had to wait for all the old white men to die, is Marjorie Taylor-Greene an old white man? Is Lauren Boebert? Make no mistake, there is a new generation of white supremacist, racist assholes and they are gaining power in the Republican Party. We cannot be complacent. We have to fight them any way we can.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    To anyone who said over the last four years that we just had to wait for all the old white men to die, is Marjorie Taylor-Greene an old white man? Is Lauren Boebert? Make no mistake, there is a new generation of white supremacist, racist assholes and they are gaining power in the Republican Party. We cannot be complacent. We have to fight them any way we can.
    It is definitely tragic that the old guard of the GOP now seems sane compared to the up and coming leaders of the party. The age of social media and 24 hour news has made it easier for people to become radicalized.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Yes, it is dumb.

Not as dumb as Georgia passing new voter suppression laws and the GOP Mayor of Sequim, Washington making his town Qanon, USA.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...opies-of-id-to

https://news.yahoo.com/mayor-aims-tu...095700235.html

See how I can both sides too?
    One small town mayor being a crackpot is significantly less important than the school board of one of the most important cities in the world declaring Abraham Lincoln to be beyond the pale.

A Georgia state legislator proposing that someone submitting absentee ballots provide the same level of photo ID as someone voting in-person isn't necessarily dumb. The overwhelming Americans support voter ID laws.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/194741/...ly-voting.aspx
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Majorie Taylor-Greene and Lauren Boebert are two out of 435 members of the House. They're not the norm.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

To anyone who said over the last four years that we just had to wait for all the old white men to die, is Marjorie Taylor-Greene an old white man? Is Lauren Boebert?
    Greene and Boebert got to power on the votes of largely old white men and their ideology. They claim to represent an interpretation of the "2nd Amendment" because of the value they attach to the wisdom of the Founders (aka the OG old white men). People who represent a stodgy conservative tendency of society, or a conservative class and makeup of society, not being typical of what and who they represent is an old song in politics. The UK ruling class elected female misogynist Margaret Thatcher as an agent to clampdown and rollback the Post-War Welfar State. Conservatives because they tend to be well, conservative, often find it hard to find someone within their constituency to represent and oppose the rising liberal tendencies of social change because the latter are dynamic, forward-facing, and intelligent and being conservative means you usually aren't all, or any, of those things. So in practice, conservatism often comes to power and achieves gains by means of ambitious outsider agents who because they are careerists, opportunists, or narcissists interested in their own power often have a good understanding of the rising voices of social and liberal change and a sense of opportunity in terms of what drives people to this, and how to shave and stem its tide.

Bismarck was a bit of an outsider to the Prussian military class being that he never actually served military service, and actually had a wider education and sense of the world that the sclerotic military class he represented. The Modern Tory Party of UK was founded by Benjamin Disraeli, the first Jewish politician (albeit a Christian convert) to attain high office in any Western nation, and Disraeli did that by largely co-opting liberal aims and building a concept of conservatism that allowed for social engagement. You see this time and time again. Donald Trump is himself an example of this phenomenon...20 years back, a man like Trump wouldn't be touched with a 10-foot poll by any conservative since he so blatantly flouts evangelical Christian morality, and the political virtues of politeness and decorum that conservatives usually value. Boris Johnson in UK is another political mercenary and outsider who comes to save the conservatives from itself, converting what should have been a generational discrediting and tarnishment of a political blunder (Brexit) into an opportunity for party consolidation and realignment largely by relying on a phony benevolent imperialist nostalgia.

Read Corey Robin's "The Reactionary Mind".

Majorie Taylor-Greene and Lauren Boebert are two out of 435 members of the House. They're not the norm.
    Looking at the last four years, I'd say they represent it just fine. Remind me, how many voted to overturn an election they didn't like losing again?
    Last edited by Tendrin; 01-28-2021 at 09:27 AM.

Trump Library Parody Website

Trump wants a library. He must never have one.

Former president Donald Trump will have an official portrait in the National Portrait Gallery at some point. And in states where he remains popular, he could have airports, bridges and schools named for him. But Trump must never have an official presidential library, and Congress should move quickly to make sure he doesn’t.

Things would seem to be moving toward establishing a Trump library. On Jan. 20, the day he left office, the National Archives launched the Donald J. Trump Presidential Library website. Already, there are rumors that the former president is engaged with the idea of creating some kind of presidential center, perhaps run by longtime aide Dan Scavino, with a price tag as high as $2 billion. Even before Trump left office, a sophisticated parody site, djtrumplibrary.com, began attracting admirers for its sharp architectural and design satire on what has become the norm in presidential centers. But it also deftly skewered the larger scam that has become attached to the presidency: the use of presidential libraries and museums to entrench perpetual fundraising and hagiography as a permanent part of every post-presidential career.
    None of this, however, means that Trump could actually create a presidential center similar to the one planned for former president Barack Obama, or those dedicated to former presidents George W. Bush and Bill Clinton. As Anthony Clark, author of “The Last Campaign: How Presidents Rewrite History, Run for Posterity & Enshrine Their Legacies,” wrote recently in Politico, it is unlikely that Trump has the focus, administrative savvy and financial resources to execute a presidential center: “Presidential libraries are complicated. And if you understand how they work — and how Trump himself works — it’s nearly impossible to imagine him actually pulling it off,” Clark writes.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.