Page 159 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 591091491551561571581591601611621631692092596591159 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,385 of 75153
    Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    That's probably a call by the Secret Service more than Trump himself.

Still, he's clearly feeling the heat. Moreso than usual.
    Eh, Trump historically always was a lightweight. He could talk the talk, but I don't think he could walk the walk. A less than ample frame and poor physique, not to mention purposefully dodging armed service (yeah, Biden also was able to avoid armed service due to asthma, but I still believe Biden can easily be directed into making decisions that get America out of conflicts, while Trump is 100% chickenhawk), Donald Trump prefers to fight using SLAPP lawsuits and Twitter followers as opposed to fisticuffs and weaponry.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonAnders View Post
    riots are the voices of the unheard
    Interesting context for that idea:

"Let me say as I've always said, and I will always continue to say, that riots are socially destructive and self-defeating. ... But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice, equality, and humanity. And so in a real sense our nation's summers of riots are caused by our nation's winters of delay. And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again. [Martin Luther King Jr., "The Other America"]" - https://theweek.com/speedreads/91702...d-53-years-ago

BANNED

Cop smiling as he shoots beanbags at protesters

How many bad apples do there have to be?

BANNED

NY Police union doxxes Mayor's daughter

How big is this apple tree?

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I'm not sure that's true. In my opinion ALL the negativity it got came from the same people who wouldn't appreciate any form of protest, on that matter, in any scenario.
    I don't know... maybe if he had put one of those post-it notes, the small ones, on his fridge, or maybe the inside of his fridge, that says "some police are too harsh when dealing with all people and #alllivesmatter" and had not told anyone about it, maybe those people would have accepted that form of protest.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    I don't know... maybe if he had put one of those post-it notes, the small ones, on his fridge, or maybe the inside of his fridge, that says "some police are too harsh when dealing with all people and #alllivesmatter" and had not told anyone about it, maybe those people would have accepted that form of protest.
    The post it was too big and how dare you bring politics to the fridge.

I thought I could take a break from the coverage of protests, riots, and systemic police brutality and post some links that I looked into after watching some youtube historians.

The United States has been trying and failing to enact some form of national health policy for over 100 years.

A national health care system, along with early proposals for Social Security and unemployment insurance, were part of Theodore Roosevelt's 'Bull Moose' platform.

Proposed again by FDR. 3 times.

And again by Harry Truman - this time stymied by the AMA, backed up by some red-baiting.

And Ike.

And JFK

Medicare finally passed under Lyndon Johnson, but some people thought the country needed to go further.

Like Richard Nixon.

The realization that we aren't doing enough for health coverage isn't anything new, nor is the opposition to it, sadly.

Bonus fact! The first proposal for something like Social Security came from one of the founding fathers - Thomas Paine.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Ich bin Antifa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Mets likes to bring up Dems not getting over 50% of the vote. Not sure his point?

Because there has only been one Presidential election in the last 30 years where a Republican has gotten more votes than the Democrat.
    When you apply a very narrow definition of "voter" (all registered voters, not actual voters on voting day) and a very narrow definition of "majority" (just absolute majorities, no pluralities) and a very narrow definition of "is" Mets can conclusively prove that Hillary Clinton was a bad candidate.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    You know who else hid in his bunker during the last days of being in power?

Hillary was right!

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I was responding to someone who said Trump hadn't won the majority, so it's relevant that no one did.
    In countries without a two-party system, everybody considers a plurality a kind of majority. But we actually do run-off elections in most countries, which leads to real majorities. Your presidential election system is very broken, and it's not just the Electoral College. It's the spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    https://www.businessinsider.com/joe-...elaware-2020-5

Meanwhile, Trump hides in a bunker.
    Tweeting "Law and Order" in all caps.

Portraits in leadership.

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    The post it was too big and how dare you bring politics to the fridge.
    And is that a BLUE cheese in your Demoncrat fridge??

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Tweeting "Law and Order" in all caps.

Portraits in leadership.
    We all know that dog whistle