Why Thousands of Republicans Are Leaving the Party

This is a darn good article explaining that the members are quitting either because the GOP either still supports Trump or rejects him. Some of Those who have supported Trump have left the GOP. Others who left the Republican party because of the GOP's inability to denounce Trump.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post

This is a darn good article explaining that the members are quitting either because the GOP either still supports Trump or rejects him. Some of Those who have supported Trump have left the GOP. Others who left the Republican party because of the GOP's inability to denounce Trump.

I have read similar articles, The only thing I can say is this might hurt the GOP in a fashion. But these people who have left mostly are not going to start voting for democrats generally either. Most of them will still pull the lever for conservatives when it comes to elections. If they decide to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I have read similar articles, The only thing I can say is this might hurt the GOP in a fashion. But these people who have left mostly are not going to start voting for democrats generally either. Most of them will still pull the lever for conservatives when it comes to elections. If they decide to vote.
    Maybe, but Probably not for Conservatives who have ties to Trump or use Trump as a role model.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Astonishing Member

I actually kind of disagree. There were like 74 million people who voted for Trump last time. (Several that split tickets)

144k (which is only 70k more than Democrats who switched parties) doesn't really seem to be statistically significant in anyway. It's trying to say some sort of movement exists when it's really only a tiny ripple.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I actually kind of disagree. There were like 74 million people who voted for Trump last time. (Several that split tickets)

144k (which is only 70k more than Democrats who switched parties) doesn't really seem to be statistically significant in anyway. It's trying to say some sort of movement exists when it's really only a tiny ripple.
    If these people actually don't vote GOP in certain states it could hurt. Over 12000 have left in a state like PA. Now that might not seem like much but that could really affect local races. Thats if they don't vote GOP after they leave.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Maybe, but Probably not for Conservatives who have ties to Trump or use Trump as a role model.

Yes true. But if these GOP politicians just stick with their GUNS, GOD and gays model they will still pull in these conservative voters.

I don't know if it's been commented on here yet, but the State majority leader in Michigan, Mike Shirkey, recently claimed 1/6 was staged. And you know there's probably thousands or millions of Americans that believe the same thing. And the Republicans in Congress will validate the belief by not acting to hold anyone accountable for 1/6.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I think it would be a profoundly bad idea because of the long term consequences.

Elected officials have to be accountable to the public for what they do. That would be undermined if on key votes secret voting is enabled. It’s necessary to know who voted how on big issues.

The Donald is in a world of trouble on all sorts of fronts...no point in throwing away one of democracy’s most important principles just to speed up his downfall.
    You’d think that would be the case in a representative democracy but the people who voted for the representative don’t always know what’s best for them or society as a whole. In such cases the representative is expected to judge the situation appropriately and vote with their conscience. In this case a secret votes allows them to do that.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I saw some interesting posts late yesterday on Twitter that compared Trump's role in inciting the mob and Charles Manson's role in sending his followers to kill. The more I thought about it you can see how the case can be made that Trump is guilty of insurrection. Manson didn't go with his "family" to commit the murders but he was still convicted of first degree murder. We've seen over and over again the clips of Trump telling that mob to "fight like Hell" to get your country back. And what have we seen? Clips of the mob chanting "Fight for Trump". IMO that is a direct link to Trump's role.

And another thing....I am always angry when I hear one faction or another saying that they have to get the country back as if we should all follow the same religion, same political beliefs etc. They want to nullify anyone that is different from them.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I get that your question encompasses a responsibility democratic(ish)ly elected officials have toward their constituents. I wish that was the motive that might make them toss out what is clearly best for the republic rather than their own reelection prospects.
    But those also play into the idea of doing what their constituents want. If they go against those wishes, they may not get re-elected next time.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I'm REALLY getting tired of MSNBC and other news outlets giving reports of 'Mitch McConnell is still undecided as to whether or not he will vote to convict Trump!'

Bullshit. He's decided. They've ALL decided. And everyone knows it.
    I don't think "ALL" the Republicans have decided how they're going to vote. (Most probably, but not all.) I do doubt one-third of the GOP Senators will vote in favor of convicting Trumpty-Dumpty, unfortunately.

"Not every Republican is a Nazi, but every Nazi is a Republican", is a phrase I've heard a time or two. Guess they've heard it quite frequently the last four years.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    OOOOoooooooOOOoooo!

Time to dig up my old statehood posts/research.

I believe the last time this came up ...

They'd pull electoral votes from Texas, Washington, California, Florida, and Minnesota in 2020. Which ends up being a political wash.

The largest resistance comes from Texas and Florida because they're due to have the largest electoral swing in 2020. Well now 2021 since the census got borked.

Looking at the data, this appears to still be the case. Texas would drop into a full-blown swing state, not a stronghold if ONE new state is added. Florida would lose the swing state sway it has and just be a crown jewel voting bloc.

If PR became a state, they'd get 2 Senators, and 5 Representatives. That means if Puerto Rico became the 51st state that Florida, Washington, Texas, California, and Minnesota would lose seats. Texas would only gain 3 new seats, Florida 1, Washington 0, and California & Minnesota would each lose 1 seat.

The Republican-voting Texas and the swing-state of Florida have been expected to be the only states to oppose Puerto Rico becoming a state (they both said this in 2010, 2011, 2015, and 2016).

Based on voting history for the last 25 years, it would mean we'd get some new initials in our government, too. The PNP would take both Senate seats, 2 House seats, and the PID, PPT, and PPD would split what's left evenly. All but the PPD said they'd caucus with the Democrats. The Partido Independentista Puertorriqueño (PID) is pro-independence, social democracy so they are the wild card. Many expect them and the PPD to caucus with the GQP at first.

Based on recent census data, Washington might protest statehood as well because they stand to lose a new House seat. The GQP is gaining traction in WA and a proposed redistricting hurts the GQP and a 51st state would hurt them even more. You're looking at a shift of 5 Rs to 1 R in WA for 2021 if Puerto Rico became a state.

If you look at census data, Puerto Rico would more likely than not be all Dems if their parties scatter. The GQP might get one House seat out of it. Unless the Cuban population changed drastically. IF that happens, I could see the GQP pick up 2 seats in the house.

Additionally, PR is a major tax haven for 65 year-old and older hedge fund managers. The GQP might want to not have them become a state ... because the House ethics committee would have a field day. There are currently 17 GQPs and 2 Dems that shelter funds there right now in an apartment building. I mean a business and credit union.
    fascincating.

especially with the highlighted part, (2 dems? not surprised), I think all the tax haven stuff needs to be called out, whoever is doing it, wherever they are doing it.

I just want democracy to be expanded and more full inclusion of everyone who is technically considered "a citizen". I'm mindful that even the "50 state standard" that people are used to now was not the case before Alaska and Hawaii were finally voted into the union. Democratic leadership in particular needs to take this topic seriously. In the era of people in the Republican party embracing Evangelical/hard right/Trump outlooks as their "Standard", where anything policy choice wise that is considered "moderate" gets you labeled as a RINO and a primary challenge, with McConnell's obstructionism being looked at as a point of pride and normalcy, Democrats can't fool themselves into thinking that by just playing "the game" as normal as possible, automatically centering the ultra-favored white conservative "middle" gets those votes on your side scarcely works anymore if at all, and frequently doesn't work at the state level at all. People are voting for the Q people because of the racism, sexism, etc., it's not all about, "well, I dig the tax breaks, so I feel Marjorie and hold my nose.."

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Speaking of, Kyle Rittenhouse jumped bail. Kid murdered two people, got to hang out with known felons, go to bars while underage, and now has just up and vanished.

Whatever bounty hunter brings him in, I'd tip even if I'm not the one paying the bounty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

Someone would jump bail if they fail to appear at trial. Has that happened yet?

He doesn't have to appear in court again until March 10, and the trial is scheduled to begin March 29.

https://www.cbs58.com/news/kyle-ritt...%20more%20time.

The judge did not seem to see it as a "Jumped Bail..." situation. -

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/11/us/ky...ing/index.html

Judge in Kyle Rittenhouse case denies motions for new arrest warrant, increased bond
    Kenosha County Circuit Court Judge Bruce E. Schroeder denied the motions during a virtual hearing on bail conditions.

Schroeder said that Rittenhouse was in violation of not updating his address but it was not a reason to increase bail. He ordered the defense team to give the court the new address. If prosecutors want to pursue information on Rittenhouse's whereabouts they will have to go through the sheriff's office, he said.

"To cut us out of this information is not appropriate," argued Thomas Binger, assistant district attorney for Kenosha County, just before the judge abruptly ended the hearing. "We have never been denied this information in any case I've ever heard of."

Rittenhouse's attorney, Mark Richards, argued his client "is not running, he has not hid." He added that his client has appeared for every hearing as required.

Schroeder said he didn't have the authority to issue an arrest warrant because Rittenhouse didn't violate Wisconsin law while out on bail.

"I understand the concern," Schroeder said. "To issue a warrant now for a defendant who's appeared at every hearing would be breaking the law and I'm not going to do that."

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    You’d think that would be the case in a representative democracy but the people who voted for the representative don’t always know what’s best for them or society as a whole. In such cases the representative is expected to judge the situation appropriately and vote with their conscience. In this case a secret votes allows them to do that.
    While it could?

It also bakes an "Will I Ever Have To Answer For This?..." out into the cake.

I can't help but think that most of the Republicans in question would gladly take advantage of such an out.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...-supply-biden/

Biden says U.S. will have enough vaccine for 300 million people by end of July
    The administration used options in existing contracts to purchase another 200 million doses, increasing supply by 50 percent.

The Biden administration on Thursday purchased another 200 million doses of the two coronavirus vaccines authorized for emergency use in the United States, securing sufficient shots by the end of July to cover everyone currently eligible for inoculation.

President Biden, in remarks capping an afternoon tour of the National Institutes of Health, announced the deals for 100 million more doses from Pfizer and German company BioNTech and 100 million more from Moderna. The expectation, Biden said, is that the additional doses will be delivered by the end of July.

The purchases increase available supply by 50 percent, bringing the total to 600 million doses. Because both products are two-dose regimens, that would be enough to fully vaccinate 300 million people. An estimated 260 million people in the United States are currently considered eligible to receive a coronavirus vaccine, though trials involving children as young as 12 could widen the pool.