Page 171 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 711211611671681691701711721731741751812212716711171 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,565 of 75153

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    It is rarely used, last being used in response to the 1992 riots that erupted after the acquittal of the officers who beat Rodney King. But the Bunker Bitch has never cared about precedent.
    This does seem to be high for actions with limited precedent with the combination of widespread protests and a highly contagious pandemic.

New York City is going to be under curfew in two hours, and that hasn't happened in recent memory.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    As with everything in politics these days, I suspect it would all come down to partisanship. While I seriously doubt blue state governors would take that drastic step, red staters, eager to please Trump, probably might, if not would.
    This is also complicated by how there are some Republican blue state Governors (Massachusetts, Vermont, Maryland) and some Democratic red state Governors (Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Montana)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spectacular Member Maine Starfish's Avatar

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    It's hard, but not impossible, to rail against Obama being a power grabber while being for Trump using the military domestically against the wishes of the state for the first time ever. Even for the current brand of hypocrites.
    That’s Republicans. These nutjobs said Obama would use mass shootings to take people’s guns away and enforce permanent martial law, and that mass shootings were false flag operations. Now Trump has said he will send in the military against its own citizens - are people gonna use their Second Amendment rights to defend their freedoms? Or is it only if the King of England sails over?

Or is it because it’s mostly black Americans protesting?

Are we still saying not all cops? Police union chief here is basically admitting it’s okay to target black Americans.

I wish Obama had got in front of a camera and sat behind a desk and began his speech with "My fellow Americans..." That would've got under the skin of the Bunker Bitch.

On another note, I am staggered by the Trump voters here who knowingly and willingly voted for a racist and are now suddenly wringing their hands about the systemic and institutionalised problem of racism in America. That is some stratospheric levels of cognitive dissonance.

Astonishing Member

Episcopal bishop on President Trump: ‘Everything he has said and done is to inflame violence’

The Right Rev. Mariann Budde, the Episcopal bishop of Washington, was seething.

The president of the United States had just visited St. John’s Episcopal Church, across from the White House, a day after a fire was set in the church basement amid protests over the death of George Floyd in the custody of Minneapolis police.

Before heading to the church, where presidents have worshiped since the days of James Madison, President Trump gave a speech at the White House emphasizing the importance of law and order.

Federal police officers then used force to clear a large crowd of peaceful demonstrators from the street between the White House and the church, apparently so Trump could make the visit.

“I am outraged,” Budde said in a telephone interview a short time later, pausing between words to emphasize her anger as her voice slightly trembled.
    She said she had not been given any notice that Trump would be visiting the church, and did not approve of the manner in which the area was secured for his appearance.

“I am the bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington and was not given even a courtesy call, that they would be clearing [the area] with tear gas so they could use one of our churches as a prop,” Budde said.

She noted that Trump stood in front of the church — its windows boarded up with plywood after demonstrators shattered glass there and in many other buildings on nearby streets Sunday night — holding a bible, “one that declares that God is love.”

“Everything he has said and done is to inflame violence,” Budde said. “I am beyond. We need moral leadership, and he’s done everything to divide us, and has just used one of the most sacred symbols of the Judeo-Christian tradition.”
    “We so dissociate ourselves from the messages of this president,” she said. “We hold the teachings of our sacred texts to be so, so grounding to our lives and everything we do, and it is about love of neighbor and sacrificial love and justice.”

Budde said there were around a dozen clergy members at the church and nearby Lafayette Square all day Monday to support the protesters, who had gathered once again to protest the killing of Floyd, an unarmed black man, and demand racial justice.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    How can things get any worse? Oh what’s that you say? Trump has opened his mouth again. Ah I see.
    What you are seeing is what folks thought Obama was going to cause. We had 8 years of that man and despite all the disrespect he got and still gets (a foundation for veterans just sent my a flyer saying vote for Trump and keep Obama/Biden out of office. Mind you this is suppose to be a nonpartisan group that takes no money from any candidate.) behave himself.

His replacement someone mad that Obama was in office and is being the voice of all those folks who were mad about it too.

I love how Trump is his little press talk said he is all for peaceful protests. Then had his thugs go after the protesters shooting teat gas into the crowd, a crowd that was doing nothing but exercising their freedom of speech. the first amendment of our Constitution a document that he claims to value and uphold so he could get a photo opp. It is not often we see his lies play out in real time on national tv. The he held a bible a bible that was not his and took a picture in front of a church known for trying to work for social change. They dint take to say a quick prayer for peace. And notice how all the people standing next to him in the photo were all white.
    Last edited by babyblob; 06-01-2020 at 07:10 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    One thing I noticed as I am watching the news. The county coroner has now said the cause of death for Floyd was because of what the officer did.

On another note I am torn. On one hand I want the riots and looting to stop. As a country we just cant allow that to keep going on unchecked. But threatening to use the force of the US military is bothersome. An army against their own citizens is very troubling. I really dont know what to think. I have always been about law and order, I have always been about resolving things in a peaceful many. I have always been proud of my country even when I was in prison I had no ill will towards the legal system or the country. I always had a set of beliefs and stuck to them. But the last few years I have been really been questioning hard those beliefs.

I dont really remember the riots of 1992 and to be honest didnt pay much attention to Ferguson and Baltimore. I have grown up in the last few years and am learning and trying to understand. I mean being 39 maybe I am too late I dont know. But I am having a hard time with all of this mentally. And if it is bad for me a white man I cant even picture what it is like for a black person in this country right now.
    This is what happens when you refuse to listen to folks. Because you can't get past the color of their skin or sexual preference.

This stance that stuff like Floyd or Trayvon or anything done to black men is only EXCLUSIVE to them-is foolish. Especially when stuff like that has happened to white folks.

While white folks are willing to accept that being done to them-not everyone else.

Those troops are being forced to do something that if a LOT of folks dealt with in the past-we wouldn't need them.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Those troops are being forced to do something that if a LOT of folks dealt with in the past-we wouldn't need them.
    I agree and that is what makes me sad. The fact that these problems are still not really being address. there is a little bit of trying. Like the two cops in Atlanta and the police chief of Louisville being fired. But the man who holds the an office that should be leading does not speak about what led us here and what can be done to change. But rather he threatens. He pushes peaceful protesters away from a park so he can have a photo op.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I dont really remember the riots of 1992 and to be honest didnt pay much attention to Ferguson and Baltimore. I have grown up in the last few years and am learning and trying to understand. I mean being 39 maybe I am too late I dont know. But I am having a hard time with all of this mentally. And if it is bad for me a white man I cant even picture what it is like for a black person in this country right now.
    We'll always be growing, as long as we're alive. That might be the only good thing about living.

BANNED

I agree and that is what makes me sad. The fact that these problems are still not really being address. there is a little bit of trying. Like the two cops in Atlanta and the police chief of Louisville being fired. But the man who holds the an office that should be leading does not speak about what led us here and what can be done to change. But rather he threatens. He pushes peaceful protesters away from a park so he can have a photo op.
    You voted for a literal racist. You helped put him the White House.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    You voted for a literal racist. You helped put him the White House.
    Yes. And I regret it. I will not be voting for him again as I said. I was very heavy into the Republican mindset several years ago. As I have said many times on thin politic thread and the a couple of others ones before they were restarted I have very much changed my views. Can a person not admit to a mistake, work at change and try and find ways to fix it?

I admit that I think I made a mistake. But it is up to me to make that decision. No one has the right to tell someone else who to vote for or to shame someone for voting.
    Last edited by babyblob; 06-01-2020 at 08:48 PM.

Astonishing Member

I can't believe there isn't a meme about Nero fiddling while Rome burns and trump hunkered at a bunker while the US burns.

Waking up to another day of things being drastically worse.

Awesome.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

*sigh* So this is how my home town.

Edit: 2 killed , 60 arrested, and at least one store was robbed during an interview. Store owner is okay, they can restock. People on Dollar store roof are most likely Latin Kings. Dollar Store featured in article is known to residents of Cicero to be gang affiliated.

https://wgntv.com/news/*********news...est-continues/

Way to many people who dont live in Cicero are selling BS stories about stuff happening. Lit of misinformation going around Social Media.
    Last edited by Darkspellmaster; 06-01-2020 at 09:51 PM.

Yes. And I regret it. I will not be voting for him again as I said. I was very heavy into the Republican mindset several years ago. As I have said many times on thin politic thread and the a couple of others ones before they were restarted I have very much changed my views. Can a person not admit to a mistake, work at change and try and find ways to fix it?

I admit that I think I made a mistake. But it is up to me to make that decision. No one has the right to tell someone else who to vote for or to shame someone for voting.
    A lot of us were sucker in by the GOP over the years, listening to what they say they are instead of what they actually do.
    Getting out of that mindset was a great thing for me, and I imagine most people that get the GOP's voice out of their head see it the same way.