Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    That's going to be difficult to accomplish if the Democrats keep trying to shut down the most active part of their voting base and failing to pass any of their policy objectives. The center-left base of the Democratic party is mostly burnt out from politics at this stage and just wants to go back to eating brunch, and the center-right voters they keep trying to court are just not going to vote for GOP-lite when they can just go for the real thing. And besides, since the Democrats seem to be willing neither to discipline their unruly caucus or nuke the filibuster, they'll have to win like 70+ seats to get any legislation passed.
    Do you mean black women?
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Slow process indeed. That's why whenever the Democrats do win, instead of celebrating the win, some on the left can only complain about how long it took.
    I see more people celebrating Stacy Abrams over the covid relief bill than condemning Joe Manchin. She even trended on twitter higher and longer than he did.

Schumer's move to do business while Republicans went to sleep also made a lot of people happy, who are NOT seeing "same old same old" from the current Democratic Party.
    Last edited by PaulBullion; 03-07-2021 at 01:35 AM.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

On this date in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, as well as 2020, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day posted profiles of Vito Barbieri, of the Idaho House of Representatives, who has voted to nullify federal firearms laws and the entirety of the Affordable Care Act. But Barbieri is far more interesting for all of the ways he wants to regulate a woman's reproductive system, such as allow an employer to deny birth control coverage to an employee on their health insurance plan, or to require medically unnecessary ultrasounds prior to a woman having an abortion. His campaign website denies the existence of a separation between church and state, calls public schools a "godless institution", tries to remedy that by passing unconstitutional legislation to have the Bible authorized to be used as a textbook in schools, and he expresses paranoid concerns about the United Nations' Agenda 21 environmental treaty. In the middle of the state legislature about the latter issue, Barbieri showed how ignorant he is on the issue by asking the doctor giving testimony if a gynecological exam could be performed by having a woman orally swallow the camera, and have it reach the vagina for photos. (We wish that was a joke.) Vito Barbieri also managed to vote for an attempt by Idaho Republicans to pass a ban on judges making rulings based on “foreign laws”, which you might recognize as another coded attempt at banning Sharia Law, which is absolutely not a thing that judges are referencing in this country.

To make him even more suspicious of a lawmaker, Barbieri also sponsored legislation that would make his texts and e-mails as a legislator confidential and to keep them secret from the public (please note that this would not exclude communication between lawmakers and lobbyists). Maybe the fact that Barbieri seemed to have confirmed he has things to hide, and wants that to be legal should be enough to convince voters to not vote for him in 2018 when his seat was up again... His legislative priorities will still likely center around him understanding nothing about science, and shielding himself into public inquiries into political corruption that he’s likely to be taking part in. But in 2020 Vito Barbieri was quoted as calling abortion “murder”, lying about the number of abortions performed in 2019, and wondering out loud why no one had “nuked Planned Parenthood” in his state.

The good news is that this lunatic did face a primary challenger in 2020. The bad news is he still trounced him with three quarters of the vote in his favor and then didn’t face an opponent in the general election. Thus, Barbieri can indefinitely hang around until he’s successful in inspiring someone to commit stochastic terror against a Planned Parenthood clinic.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 03-07-2021 at 02:40 AM.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I'm sure I've probably said this before, but I'll say it again: the GQP doesn't give even half a **** about helping the American people. If that relief bill which passed was only $1.9 MILLION, Qpublicans STILL would've voted against it, because helping ordinary folks recover from the virus doesn't help them and the wealthy masters they serve. What Biden and Democrats need to do is immediately take to the airwaves to explain how they're doing all they could to help the people and how Qpublicans fought to obstruct their efforts. Dems also need to put to bed the lie that the GQP cares about being fiscally responsible after supporting Trump's tax cut which ballooned the deficit. Lastly, Biden needs to give his hopeless fantasy of unity with Qpublicans and use the bully pulpit of the presidency to hammer home that he's helping struggling Americans while the GQP isn't, and NEVER will.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 03-07-2021 at 03:51 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

So the Senate passes COVID-19 plan, clearing way for nearly $2 trillion in relief. President Biden makes a comment on the passage of the COVID bill, "help is on the way"

I fear it may be too late or it may not be enough. I doubt if the poor people and small businesses receive all the benefits of the COVID plan, most of which may go to the rich people and mega-corporations.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    So the Senate passes COVID-19 plan, clearing way for nearly $2 trillion in relief. President Biden makes a comment on the passage of the COVID bill, "help is on the way"

I fear it may be too late or it may not be enough. I doubt if the poor people and small businesses receive all the benefits of the COVID plan, most of which may go to the rich people and mega-corporations.
    Well, damn Joe Biden and the Democrats for doing ANYTHING. HOW DARE THEY. Rich people are just going to find the loopholes to pillage aid that's meant for the poor.

Again, how the hell does the GQP have some folks suffering from Stockholm Syndrome where the Democrats are the only ones with any empathy for people's suffering and the will to do anything about it, yet they still are getting the criticism?
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Wake up this morning to hear on UK radio that Harry and Meghan interview on Oprah show will attract biggest US interview audience since Oprah interviewed Michael Jackson.

Amazed that anybody is interested.
    I find the interest/obsession with the Royal Family to be weird, seems like an idea that's long past its expiration date. I hear arguments they're good for tourism, but honestly I think you'd see no real difference without them. Even the papers would find something (like celebrity obsession) to focus on. But ultimately is it any different from the Kardashians or even focus on the more salacious personal details of politicians lives here in the US? Feel like it's a lateral move.

As to the knock on the Biden Administration and why they'll continue to be criticized, I feel it's been summed up nicely by comparing them to the Republicans. Republicans fight, break rules, ignore norms, outright lie to your face and the faces of their supporters, and risk things to get what they want done. They'll actively suppress votes from non-Republican voters, lie about it on one show, then (while knowing they're being recorded) tell the truth about it at a fundraiser. They are better at their jobs.

In fairness, nobody who voted for Biden thought he was a champion of the people or Democratic causes. He's a career politician who's (well, used to be) great with a soundbite when he's not putting his foot in his mouth and great in person. He's as middle of the road as they come. It's a step up from the triangulation move-to-the-right of the Clintons, but a small step. And a gigantic f##king leap up from the fascist/racist/sever or weaken all ties and alliances around the world cluster of f##k we just came out of.

That counts for something and it's the reason he got as many votes as he did. But people still want things to get done. And we lucked into having a tied Senate. And yes, Manchin and a few others (sadly looks like my state's Shaheen and Hassan, might have to factor that in when primaries come up again) are going to drag their feet. But if you have the political will you can force things to get done. "Where there's a will there's a way". If we had half of the fight the other side did we'd have a $15 minimum wage and an Affordable Care Act that hadn't been watered down several times to attain exactly zero Republican votes.

If you're serious about getting things done you can't keep playing by this imaginary rulebook that says you have be nice, and do things properly and in order, and take others feelings into consideration, etc. The other side is not doing that. They haven't been for a long time, and I don't know if you've noticed but they're only getting worse. Probably has something to do with them having been successful at accomplishing their goals. There's always a reason not to do something. "Primaries are coming up." "Oh, Senator so-and-so's in a tough district, can't lose her" "We'll get to that eventually, but we have to take things slow" We've all heard it again and again, some of us for decades. Sure, these fights are tough and some are unwinnable currently. But dang it, I want to see them fighting. Or at least believe they want to. Until then they deserve the criticism.

The problem I see with Biden is at the end of the day he is a nice guy. He really is. he is the kind of guy you want to hang with and have a nice talk with. He seems like he is very much unwilling to take a cheap shot or go the low road. And after four years of a **** show, insults, craziness he wants to be that calm relaxed voice, he wants to be the guy who units and works with everyone. The problem with this I fear it will cause him to over compensate. he will try so hard to show he is a uniter he will spend to much time listen to the GOP. Giving them their sound bites or validation that their views matter. I am worried he will drop keys things he wants done or will modify some things in the sake of unity.

The GOP will lie cheat steal and do the worst things they can do to get what they want. its great that Biden is not that kind of person, but he has to give up the nice guy I can work with everyone bit to get real things done.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The problem I see with Biden is at the end of the day he is a nice guy. He really is. he is the kind of guy you want to hang with and have a nice talk with. He seems like he is very much unwilling to take a cheap shot or go the low road. And after four years of a **** show, insults, craziness he wants to be that calm relaxed voice, he wants to be the guy who units and works with everyone. The problem with this I fear it will cause him to over compensate. he will try so hard to show he is a uniter he will spend to much time listen to the GOP. Giving them their sound bites or validation that their views matter. I am worried he will drop keys things he wants done or will modify some things in the sake of unity.

The GOP will lie cheat steal and do the worst things they can do to get what they want. its great that Biden is not that kind of person, but he has to give up the nice guy I can work with everyone bit to get real things done.
    I don't think that will be a problem. Biden is nice, he's empathic, he cares, but he's not nieve or gullible. if you listen to him talk, you will hear the edge of the sword hidden behind the soft cotton of his words.

I'm going to guess that the GOP is on the verge of self-destruction in a desperate attempt to undermine Biden. Like tying to undermine a mountain, only to have a landslide bury you.

Democrats are battle-scarred and still ready to fight.

Only time will tell, of course.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Yes.

The child tax credit that will cut child poverty in half will lead to people buying shoes and food for their children, which are likely produced by mega-corporations like Nike and Nestlé.

Those lucky duckies win again!

Hillary was right!

I think it is funny that on a weekend where Trump literally issues an official statement that he will campaign against a sitting GOP senator, people cannot let go of "Democrats in dissaray."

Hillary was right!

GOP groups quiet as billionaire donor stands accused of running biggest tax fraud scheme ever

The billionaire accused of running the biggest tax fraud scheme in U.S. history was a prolific donor to Republican groups and causes. The leaders of those organizations have kept quiet on the federal charges against him.

Robert Brockman, former CEO of Ohio-based software company Reynolds & Reynolds, was charged in October with running a $2 billion tax fraud scheme.

Department of Justice officials said at the time that the businessman had hidden capital gains income for more than 20 years through various offshore entities in Bermuda and Nevis and secret bank accounts. Brockman has pleaded not guilty to the alleged crimes.

Brockman’s most recent contributions to Republican committees came in 2017, ahead of the congressional midterm elections the following year, according to Federal Election Commission records.
    In 2017, Brockman donated more than $80,000 to the National Republican Congressional Committee, the political campaign organization for House Republicans. The GOP went on to lose the House to the Democrats, with Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., becoming speaker.

The FEC records showing the NRCC contributions do not list Reynolds & Reynolds as Brockman’s employer, but the Texas address matches the location listed on other contributions Brockman has made. The mailing address is also listed on a business registration form for Reynolds & Reynolds reviewed by CNBC. The form, signed in April before Brockman was charged, lists him as the CEO.

Brockman also gave more than $100,000 to entities linked to former Republican House Speaker Paul Ryan, including a six-figure check to the Wisconsin lawmaker’s now-defunct joint fundraising committee. The Brockman NRCC donations were attributed on the filings to Ryan’s joint fundraising committee, which at the time was helping raise money for the Republican campaign arm.
    Democrats are already pouncing on the lack of public GOP pushback against Brockman after he funded some of their campaigns.

American Bridge, a Democratic super PAC that specializes in opposition research and first flagged the Brockman contributions to CNBC, used the episode to blast the GOP.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

You are thinking of the last bill, when Trump and Mnuchin took money meant for small business and gave it to their rich friends. I won't do the work for you, but you can easily find online the bill breakdown and wee how much goes to the $1400 for people making under $80,000, extending the extra $300 in unemployment benefits, child credit, help to schools, help to State and Local governments,

In other words, you are wrong. When Democrats are in charge, poor people get help. When Republicans are in charge, rich people get tax cute.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I find the interest/obsession with the Royal Family to be weird, seems like an idea that's long past its expiration date. I hear arguments they're good for tourism, but honestly I think you'd see no real difference without them. Even the papers would find something (like celebrity obsession) to focus on. But ultimately is it any different from the Kardashians or even focus on the more salacious personal details of politicians lives here in the US? Feel like it's a lateral move.

As to the knock on the Biden Administration and why they'll continue to be criticized, I feel it's been summed up nicely by comparing them to the Republicans. Republicans fight, break rules, ignore norms, outright lie to your face and the faces of their supporters, and risk things to get what they want done. They'll actively suppress votes from non-Republican voters, lie about it on one show, then (while knowing they're being recorded) tell the truth about it at a fundraiser. They are better at their jobs.

In fairness, nobody who voted for Biden thought he was a champion of the people or Democratic causes. He's a career politician who's (well, used to be) great with a soundbite when he's not putting his foot in his mouth and great in person. He's as middle of the road as they come. It's a step up from the triangulation move-to-the-right of the Clintons, but a small step. And a gigantic f##king leap up from the fascist/racist/sever or weaken all ties and alliances around the world cluster of f##k we just came out of.

That counts for something and it's the reason he got as many votes as he did. But people still want things to get done. And we lucked into having a tied Senate. And yes, Manchin and a few others (sadly looks like my state's Shaheen and Hassan, might have to factor that in when primaries come up again) are going to drag their feet. But if you have the political will you can force things to get done. "Where there's a will there's a way". If we had half of the fight the other side did we'd have a $15 minimum wage and an Affordable Care Act that hadn't been watered down several times to attain exactly zero Republican votes.

If you're serious about getting things done you can't keep playing by this imaginary rulebook that says you have be nice, and do things properly and in order, and take others feelings into consideration, etc. The other side is not doing that. They haven't been for a long time, and I don't know if you've noticed but they're only getting worse. Probably has something to do with them having been successful at accomplishing their goals. There's always a reason not to do something. "Primaries are coming up." "Oh, Senator so-and-so's in a tough district, can't lose her" "We'll get to that eventually, but we have to take things slow" We've all heard it again and again, some of us for decades. Sure, these fights are tough and some are unwinnable currently. But dang it, I want to see them fighting. Or at least believe they want to. Until then they deserve the criticism.
    The root issue here is that most of the Democrat leadership likely doesn't believe that a $15/hr minimum wage is a good policy, and will (weakly) tout the policy while campaigning to score points with the base, but are more than happy to see it fail in Congress because they can claim they tried to do everything but, gosh darn it wouldn't you know it, the votes just weren't there. And that all kind of fits with the centrist Democrat world view that our society is just a few tweaks away from living up to its promise, conveniently glossing over the fact that all the different interest groups within the party have drastically different views about what tweaks are needed and who should benefit from them. That $1.9 trillion stimulus package is fairly indicative of this outlook as well. Sure it's a good thing that struggling people are getting the assistance that they need, but it is at best a stopgap solution and doesn't have any long term effects unless paired with significant structural reforms, reforms that won't happen because this was the one chance they had to pass any meaningful legislation this year. And when the dust settles on covid and everything is more or less back to normal, all of the fundamental problems in our society will still be there, and unless we commit to seriously addressing them sometime soon, these duct tape solutions will require ever greater outlays of newly printed money to work.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Versus what?

Choosing to ignore an issue that you have already been called on during the primary season?

It gets to a point where you are going to be asking supporters to see the difference between six and a half a dozen.
    Again, it isn’t about trying to do something that will help Biden.

The truth of the matter is that the filibuster is a good way to halt Biden’s agenda for tougher votes for folks like Manchin and Tester. They will not vote for card check legislation—and they will not override the filibuster on that.

We saw the damage in the media that Manchin holding up the vote for eight hours had on the perceived efficacy of Democrats in Congress. What happens when Sinema, Tester, and Manchin push against filibuster reform for this issue? It will be a key loss for Biden—and it will demonstrate some level of ineffectiveness by Biden to push his legislative agenda. It is easier to promote policies like this when you have either a) a larger majority and can sustain defections (i.e. the Obama Administration’s original majority comes to mind) or b) are in the minority and can push policies that are largely symbolic.

Biden’s policy docket is also quite full. Next up we have the Equality Act, the John Lewis Voting Rights Restoration Act, and the For the People Act. He also dropped an immigration plan in Congress’ lap. He’s looking towards a massive infrastructure plan, which will likely be the big budget reconciliation package going through Congress in 2021. I don’t see why it is worthwhile to push for something that can’t even get moderate Democratic Senators lined up behind it. You’re better off seeing what you can do on the minimum wage.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.