Page 174 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 741241641701711721731741751761771781842242746741174 ... LastLast
Results 2,596 to 2,610 of 75153
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    You're underestimating how much work has been put in to selling these lies, and how much dividend that work has paid out. Look at the 100 years people have spent rehabilitating the reputation of the Confederacy. Lies in speeches, lies in books, lies in movies, lies on statues, lies in TEXTBOOKS! All to sell the lies. Get them young, keep them in lies, drown them in the lies. That how they can point at something racist like the Civil War, say "that's not racist", and have people believe it. Our culture may be seeped in racism, but there's a massive effort to keep it that way while telling people it's not true. That's what I mean when I say propaganda gets into people's brain.
    Absolute nonsense. This seems to be implying that the Democratic Party is helpless and powerless in the face of a vast, right-wing propaganda machine. Which no doubt exists. But come on.

If this century-old conspiracy was so powerful then how did the Civil Rights Act pass? The Voting Rights Act? How did Barack Obama get elected?

Let’s not pretend that racism has only been killing people in the 21st century. I mean, Fox News has only been around for 23 years. Is it only then that white people became culpable for black disenfranchisement?

If it makes you feel better blaming the nefarious, shadowy GOP then go right ahead.

Complicity. Consequences.
    Last edited by sammy_hansen; 06-02-2020 at 03:53 AM.

In 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, as well as 2019, "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" published profiles of U.S. Senator James Lankford of Oklahoma, a former pastor who has referred to same sex marriage as “an attack upon the family” while campaigning for office, thinks being gay is a choice, refers to climate change a myth, spoke at length about his frustration of endangered birds receiving more protection from the government than fetuses, blamed the Sandy Hook Massacre on “welfare moms overmedicating their kids to get more benefits” and in June of 2016 against a measure that would have made it illegal for firearms transfers to people who were suspected terrorists on the “no fly list”. His Christian principles lead him to believe migrant children should be thrown out of the country because in the Bible, being kind to strangers doesn’t specify that they should be citizens of the country you live in. Seriously, this guy is such a fanatic when he was asked about the national debt, his solution was to pray that it gets better. He currently is pushing for “religious freedom” legislation because he defines no being allowed to discriminate against gay people as “being targeted for his faith”, claiming they are the real victims in a “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” situation. Lankford’s also prolifically absent in Congress when it comes time to vote, as he missed almost 10% of them from his final term serving in the House. Near the end of our 2015 entry about Lankford, we noted he had found himself among the #47Traitors, for writing a letter to the leaders of Iran trying to undermine the peace treaty that the Obama administration had arranged with them, and was campaigning to push for national “religious freedom” laws to allow for the discrimination of LGBTQ citizens and prevent them from having equal rights based on the supposed faith of who was discriminating against them. He has also voted to defund Planned Parenthood, voted to maintain the gun rights of people on the no-fly list so they could procure firearms for mass shootings, voted to try and block Syrian refugees from being resettled in the United States, and refused to consider Merrick Garland for the Supreme Court because “he isn’t conservative enough”, waiting a year to vote for Neil Gorsuch.

Since we last updated our annual look at James Lankford, he has made several troubling votes, including continuing to vote for every Trump administration nominee, no matter how unqualified or utterly appalling (including torture maven Gina Haspel to be the head of the CIA), he voted against disaster relief funding for victims of Hurricane Harvey back in October of 2017, and in December of 2017, he voted for the big GOP Tax Plan/Scam.

For all that party line bulls***, does Sen. Lankford get any love from the White House. HA! No. Trump doesn’t even know his name, he calls him “Tom”. And yet… he still blindly supports him, by doing things like vote for Donald Trump’s supposed “national emergency” on the U.S./Mexico border.

Or in other key votes:

James Lankford is currently fretting about the fact that people received their Covid-19 stimulus money, opining that they were being given a “disincentivize” from going back to work, and that the $1200 payment was “too generous. Because we know a pastor must have read the Bible and learned all the important lessons where Jesus thumbed his nose at the poor and sick.

And everyone should remember what a hypocrite he is when he's up for re-election in 2022.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    Absolute nonsense. This seems to be implying that the Democratic Party is helpless and powerless in the face of a vast, right-wing propaganda machine. Which no doubt exists. But come on.

Let’s not pretend that racism has only been killing people in the 21st century. I mean, Fox News has only been around for 23 years. Is it only then that white people became culpable for black disenfranchisement?
    JCall's right. The Democrats aren't helpless but they're far from being as strong as they need to be to defeat them once and for all. Textbooks, churches, radio stations, news networks, social clubs, university groups, the military, police precincts, the Supreme Court and more. The GOP are deeply entrenched in all them, it's like fighting HYDRA. They're everywhere polluting public discourse, tilting public opinion for white supremacy and racism. It's a highly organised, billionaire funded, generations old political machine.

Fox News is simply a cog in their machine, they were doing this long before Fox was created. Fox isn't even their entire news network propaganda machine, they have other networks (large and small scale) and websites like Brietbart.

How do you destroy something like that?

Consequences.
    Which won't be solved unless we acknowledge how strong the opposition is.

The Democrats have their own demons, but they're nothing compared to the GOP.

'Words of a dictator': Trump's threat to deploy military raises spectre of fascism

Maybe this is why they are pointing fingers at Antifa? Right now, the whole country is itching to be Antifa if it means getting Trump out of the WH ASAP.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    'Words of a dictator': Trump's threat to deploy military raises spectre of fascism

Maybe this is why they are pointing fingers at Antifa? Right now, the whole country is itching to be Antifa if it means getting Trump out of the WH ASAP.
    Joe Lockhart, a former White House press secretary, tweeted on Monday night: “I lived through MLK and Bobby being assassinated, our cities burning, Watergate, 9/11 and other national tragedies. I’ve never been so frightened for our country as I am tonight. Trump has to go now.”
    That was, in my opinion, the most telling quote from that entire article. There's no doubt in my mind that Trump is dangerously out of control, and there's no one in the White House who can rein him in, he personally saw to that when he fired anyone and everyone who had the stones to tell him no. And with Republicans in full blown lockstep with Trump's madness, including sycophants like Tom Cotton itching for armed confrontation with demonstrators, things will only get worse until November.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Matty boy is getting the same treatment the president does.

Twitter has restricted a tweet from Rep. Matt Gaetz for violating its policies against glorifying violence. https://t.co/q9NbOjqf3Z

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    States Reject Trump’s Threat Of Military Crackdown: ‘Stay Out Of Our Business’

“I reject the notion that the federal government can send troops into the state of Illinois,” Gov. J.B. Pritzker said.

‘Who’s The Thug Here?’: Anderson Cooper Unleashes On Donald Trump

“The president seems to think dominating Black people, dominating peaceful protesters, is law and order. It’s not.”

‘Teetering On A Dictatorship’: Don Lemon Asks If Trump Is ‘Declaring War On Americans’

“Open your eyes, America. Open your eyes. We are teetering on a dictatorship. This is chaos,” the CNN host said after Trump’s Rose Garden address.

Gregg Popovich Unleashes On Trump: ‘He’s Not Just Divisive, He’s A Destroyer’

The San Antonio Spurs coach delivered a fiery rebuke of the president’s leadership as the nation is in turmoil.

‘Revolting’: Trump Gets Holy Hell On Twitter For Using Bible As Photo-Op Prop

Police used tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse peaceful protesters so the president could have his picture taken at a church.
    Though I do think the thought of Trump sending in troops with the Insurrection Act and without consent fromthe governor is inherently very very frightening (you can practically hear the Storm Trooper marching theme in the back of your mind as you imagine this happening), I'm actually sort of worried that in some of the states at least they will be able to stops the riots without it. In 92 during the Rodney King riots, it did take the US military coming in to regain order. That was a VERY different situation though, as the governor invited their aid. This time if it happened, it would be very very different. Trump coming in without State consent would be completely unprecidented.

I guess in a perfect world these riots would sort of run their course on their own and stop (I say riots specifically... not protests).

Given the status quo of racial tension and that something needs to be done about racism, maybe the timing on tonight will be telling...

Iowa Congressman Steve King faces a primary challenge at the polls tonight. This could be the beginning of end of the road for him. He'll be a lame duck Congressman for the next 6 months, then likely a pariah to anyone who isn't a die-hard white nationalist.

Talkign about change and voting is easy. But that is not that end of it. Yes voting in more Dems and giving them the majority is a good start. Getting rid of the bad GOP is a great way to start. But how much will they be able to do right now? Trump and his people have stacked the courts with their people. If the Dems pass a law or try to make change how long before it is challenged in the courts? And will a good law be upheld or will the GOP puppets in the courts strike things down?

It is going to take a very long time to change things. Even if Biden wins things wont happen over night or even in the course of his term. it is going to take people voting for the Dems after Biden. It is going to take a very long time to shake the GOp power grip loose.

It helps that Trump and his brainwashed followers are such shitbags that they have opened the eyes to some long time Republicans like myself and showed us that there is a need for change. It wont change the mind of his hardcore base but I know several people who called them selves Republicans who have broken ranks with the party over the last few years.
    Last edited by babyblob; 06-02-2020 at 05:40 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Talkign about change and voting is easy. But that is not that end of it.
    Folks thought after 2008, they were done, and the change was coming. The GOP fought, kicked, and scratched to halt any and all progress as long as they could, until there were 60 Democratic Senators for only a few months, and before much was accomplished. Then the Koch Brothers and other conservative groups bought Congress by funding the Tea Party Wave, gerrymandered districts at the state and federal level, and turned this nation into a regressive nightmare for 10 years. We only began trending in the other direction in 2018.

It isn't "vote". It's "vote, and keep voting until every last sumbitch who values the interests of the wealthy over yours is gone". And that... will take awhile. But you don't stop. Don't. Ever. Stop.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Folks thought after 2008, they were done, and the change was coming. The GOP fought, kicked, and scratched to halt any and all progress as long as they could, until there were 60 Democratic Senators for only a few months, and before much was accomplished. Then the Koch Brothers and other conservative groups bought Congress by funding the Tea Party Wave, gerrymandered districts at the state and federal level, and turned this nation into a regressive nightmare for 10 years. We only began trending in the other direction in 2018.

It isn't "vote". It's "vote, and keep voting until every last sumbitch who values the interests of the wealthy over yours is gone". And that... will take awhile. But you don't stop. Don't. Ever. Stop.

I agree with that. Like I said it is going to take a lot of time and several elections. It is also going to take talking and working with the disenfranchised Republicans. Not just attacking them because they are Republican or blaming them for voting for Trump and others in the party like a lot of people tend to do. Work with them for a chance to change how and who they vote for. There are Republicans out there that are ready for a change from Trump and Mitch and who are ready to leave the party. But not all Dems have been welcoming of them.

I will give an example. before the virus a group of my Republican friends and I who are very upset at how the party has gone went to a liberal open house event. We wanted to see what they had to offer and what their ideas were. When people found out we were former Republicans and current ones we were ignore by some and treated rudely by others. Openly attacked for voting for Trump. I pointed out that we were trying to change and move away from that and that we knew others who wanted to move away as well. We were told the party did not want people like us. We were the devils. We were the enemy. There were a couple people who talked with us and tried to make us feel welcome and wanted to hear why we were moving over and what we could do to move others over. But that was maybe 5 people out of 200. So with being treated like this is it any wonder some Republicans are nervous about moving over?
    Last edited by babyblob; 06-02-2020 at 06:01 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Though I do think the thought of Trump sending in troops with the Insurrection Act and without consent fromthe governor is inherently very very frightening (you can practically hear the Storm Trooper marching theme in the back of your mind as you imagine this happening), I'm actually sort of worried that in some of the states at least they will be able to stops the riots without it. In 92 during the Rodney King riots, it did take the US military coming in to regain order. That was a VERY different situation though, as the governor invited their aid. This time if it happened, it would be very very different. Trump coming in without State consent would be completely unprecidented.

I guess in a perfect world these riots would sort of run their course on their own and stop (I say riots specifically... not protests).
    At present, there's no telling when either the protests or the riots will die down, however, here in Philly, things were a good deal quieter yesterday and last night than they were over the weekend, so perhaps that's a sign. On a national scale, it's anybody's guess, there's still so much anger out there over the George Floyd murder, and yeah, bad actors are definitely taking advantage of the situation to make things worse. In a perfect world, the president would've taken to the airwaves to implore the American people for calm and insist on peaceful solutions, unfortunately, Trump chose to go the strongman route by using the military as a hammer to enforce law and order on his terms. That will only make things worse in the long run when the people think they're being made victims of a military crackdown. Think Kent State, think Tiananmen Square. Under normal circumstances, someone would told Trump what he's planning is a bad idea, however, he's gotten rid of those people, and the Republican Party doesn't care and continues looking the other way, even as their constituents are put in the crosshairs.

Talkign about change and voting is easy. But that is not that end of it. Yes voting in more Dems and giving them the majority is a good start. Getting rid of the bad GOP is a great way to start. But how much will they be able to do right now? Trump and his people have stacked the courts with their people. If the Dems pass a law or try to make change how long before it is challenged in the courts? And will a good law be upheld or will the GOP puppets in the courts strike things down?

It is going to take a very long time to change things. Even if Biden wins things wont happen over night or even in the course of his term. it is going to take people voting for the Dems after Biden. It is going to take a very long time to shake the GOp power grip loose.
    That was the plan of the GOP all along. Mitch McConnell and Republicans leaders were playing the long game from jump street by stacking the courts from SCOTUS on down with right wing ideologues. They knew that eventually they'll lose both the Senate and the White House, by having their judges in place, they'd have the law titled in their favor even after being ousted from power. I'm sure Dems realized the scheme Republicans had pulled, but were powerless to stop it as long as Trump rubber stamped whatever judges McConnell nominated for appointment. That's why the GOP bent over backwards to protect Trump to keep their long game going, and will stick with him to the bitter end, which I pray happens in November.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 06-02-2020 at 06:05 AM.

[/B]

I agree with that. Like I said it is going to take a lot of time and several elections. It is also going to take talking and working with the disenfranchised Republicans. Not just attacking them because they are Republican or blaming them for voting for Trump and others in the party like a lot of people tend to do. Work with them for a chance to change how and who they vote for. There are Republicans out there that are ready for a change from Trump and Mitch and who are ready to leave the party. But not all Dems have been welcoming of them.

I will give an example. before the virus a group of my Republican friends and I who are very upset at how the party has gone went to a liberal open house event. We wanted to see what they had to offer and what their ideas were. When people found out we were former Republicans and current ones we were ignore by some and treated rudely by others. Openly attacked for voting for Trump. I pointed out that we were trying to change and move away from that and that we knew others who wanted to move away as well. We were told the party did not want people like us. We were the devils. We were the enemy. There were a couple people who talked with us and tried to make us feel welcome and wanted to hear why we were moving over and what we could do to move others over. But that was maybe 5 people out of 200. So with being treated like this is it any wonder some Republicans are nervous about moving over?
    By design, change in this country for better or for worse will always be slow. The Courts are the ultimate stop gap to ensure no radical chance can occur one way or the other. And obviously that can be a good thing, or that can be a bad thing. But it's safe to say on a national level, nothing will ever happen overnight. There's a long game.

But local level is a different story. And that's the aspect people tend to overlook. Small chance is much easier and very doable in a reasonable time frame. Not that working on a national level isn't imporant... but it's a long game which may not real substatial results for decades. I think if people work on a community and local government level, they'll start seeing more immediate results and things can organically expand from there.

Joe Biden is here in Philly and will speak in City Hall at ten about the George Floyd murder.

I didnt realize just how hard core Trumps followers were brainwashed until the virus and the protests started. My aunt a huge Trump supporters and I watched his address Monday. She is fine with the military being called out. Openly talks about shooting the rioters and looters. And when Trump has the police go after the protesters in the park she was fine with that. I said they were being peaceful. She said they were just waiting until nightfalll so they could riot and loot so the police tear gassing them was okay because they were going to be violent any way. As for the photo in front of the church? it was not a cheap stunt. it was Trump taking a stand and saying he was going to take back the streets and it was a great move. I got fed up and walked away. And I wish I could say well maybe not all his supporters are like that. But man was Fox News going nuts about what a great move it was.