Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    So I've missed something. Did we get rid of Pepe Le Pew because he's a negative French stereotype or because he's a sex pest or both?

Not saying we shouldn't bin him, but watching him in the old cartoons actually taught me what a stalker and unwanted romantic behavior was before I was old enough to understand anything about interpersonal relationships and consent, etc. So there is potential in Le Pew as an educational tool.
    Hm. I'm gonna get punched, but here we go.

Pepe le Pew was not a celebration of sexual harassment, or an insult to French culture. He was a specific caricature of Charles Boyer's performance in Algiers. It just so happened that Americans of the time found humor in a sexually harassive caricature of French culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    . . . (I do think it was a mistake for Biden to not put his name on the checks but anyway done's done).
    It was a petty move on Trump's part when he held up checks being sent out just so he could make sure his name was on them.

It is better that Biden passed on doing something that asinine.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    It was a petty move on Trump's part when he held up checks being sent out just so he could make sure his name was on them.

The fact is that petty or not, Trump signing those checks was politically a shrewd move and it probably did help boost turnout in 2020. The CARES act was really successful and popular, and having a physical symbol of Federal aid directly in their hands really did make a difference.

Neglecting symbolism in politics, no matter the ideology or belief, has consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Though I would have forgiven him if he had printed on the checks "Wear a Mask"
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I doubt that. Also, Democrats in NYC Government have a bad history of their own. Many act in ways that would make Republicans blush.

I still think that even Cuomo deserves a fair investigation. Twitter is divided, some saying that Cuomo shouldn't be pushed out like Al Franken was, at least not until the investigation concludes.
    I do hope they investigate both the harassment claims but more importantly the nursing home deaths whether or not he is forced to resign. Wrongdoing is wrongdoing, shouldn't get a pass just because he's out of office. Being in the NY area, hopefully will keep attention on him.

So, just heard this on Rachel Maddow:

There was an officer at the Capital Riot whose name escapes me right now. He was beaten, stomped on, tazed so many times he suffered a mild heart attack, had his radio ripped from his vest as well as his badge, and nearly had his weapon taken while the crowd chanted 'Kill him with his own gun!"

The guy who ripped off his badge took it home as a trophy and buried it in his backyard. Today, it was dug up by the FBI, and the man was arrested. And as he was taken before a judge in New York, and indicted on several violent felonies, the Judge... and I'm sure you won't believe this could possibly happen... let him go on his own recognizance. The prosecutors are now appealing that dumb-ass decision.

I am really getting sick and tired of these fucking judges who are letting these guys go, when we all know if the suspect was black, they would have tossed them in a hole and buried the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post

Pepe le Pew was not a celebration of sexual harassment, or an insult to French culture. He was a specific caricature of Charles Boyer's performance in Algiers. It just so happened that Americans of the time found humor in a sexually harassive caricature of French culture.
    I think people were more worked up about others not understanding sexual assault used as a punchline being bad than they were about a cartoon skunk. I'm honestly not even sure how Pepe LePew got dragged into this. I haven't even seen the guy in years, when he was selling phone sex texting for AT&T. I assume it's a Space Jam thing, the new Space Jam is...definitely driving internet discussion.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    I think people were more worked up about others not understanding sexual assault used as a punchline being bad than they were about a cartoon skunk. I'm honestly not even sure how Pepe LePew got dragged into this. I haven't even seen the guy in years, when he was selling phone sex texting for AT&T. I assume it's a Space Jam thing, the new Space Jam is...definitely driving internet discussion.
    It's just a sign that the trend toward 80s and 90s nostalgia in pop culture has gone way too far.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

"Quality of votes". More of Qpublicans bending over backwards to justify Trump's big lie, and the fact Democratic voters were determined to get rid of him.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    If nothing else, it's good that a couple of Dems found their morals now that something that any normal person would get cuffed and stuffed over has come out.

Better late than never, I guess.
    Morals, something Qpublicans sorely lack, or don't have at all, right, 30?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post

Morals, something Qpublicans sorely lack, or don't have at all, right, 30?
    If Democrats are just barely clearing that bar when it comes to dealing with what has come out about the guy?

Is that an acceptable standard operating procedure?

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    So I've missed something. Did we get rid of Pepe Le Pew because he's a negative French stereotype or because he's a sex pest or both?

Not saying we shouldn't bin him, but watching him in the old cartoons actually taught me what a stalker and unwanted romantic behavior was before I was old enough to understand anything about interpersonal relationships and consent, etc. So there is potential in Le Pew as an educational tool.
    Pepe has, over the years and even back in the 1960s, was being called out for his behavior. Both is why some call him out, though he's less of a stereotype than a caricature to me. He's not supposed to be liked, he's not the hero. You're more supposed to laugh at the stupid lengths to get Penelope cat. He's so dumb that he doesn't realize that she is a cat. He's so blinded by his desire to have a mate, that he does these stupid things and the running gag is, he's an *******. All of the Loony tunes are assholes if you really look at those cartoons. And yes, you're supposed to think that it's a bad idea to act like him, because Pepe, as with Johnny Bravo, is a loser in a lot of ways. That's the whole joke. He's not a ladies man at all. He's annoying.

Wasn't just with Pepe though either. Several characters had this same idea in that period. And I didn't know he's based on Boyer's performance. I'll have to take a look at that when I have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    So apparently there are two things driving this. First was an article about Pepe and Speedy and them being stereotypes, and how they reinforce those ideas. And then there's the Space Jam 2 joke. As I recall reading joke goes like this. Bugs (maybe Daffy) and Lebron are going out looking for Lola. They go to Pepe's bar, which is based around Casablanca (Black and White apparently) and he's hitting on Greice Santo, and the following things happen:

Pepe was set to appear in a black-and-white Casablanca-like Rick’s Cafe sequence. Pepe, playing a bartender, starts hitting on a woman at the bar played by Santo. He begins kissing her arm, which she pulls back, then slamming Pepe into the chair next to hers. She then pours her drink on Pepe, and slaps him hard, sending him spinning in a stool, which is then stopped by LeBron James’ hand. James and Bugs Bunny are looking for Lola, and Pepe knows her whereabouts. Pepe then tells the guys that Penelope cat has filed a restraining order against him. James makes a remark in the script that Pepe can’t grab other Tunes without their consent.

And apparently the actress, Ms. Santo, is not happy with the cut at all and is calling out WB for removing it because Pepe got his cummupance for his behavior. Apparently it plays out better in action then words.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    So, just heard this on Rachel Maddow:

There was an officer at the Capital Riot whose name escapes me right now. He was beaten, stomped on, tazed so many times he suffered a mild heart attack, had his radio ripped from his vest as well as his badge, and nearly had his weapon taken while the crowd chanted 'Kill him with his own gun!"

The guy who ripped off his badge took it home as a trophy and buried it in his backyard. Today, it was dug up by the FBI, and the man was arrested. And as he was taken before a judge in New York, and indicted on several violent felonies, the Judge... and I'm sure you won't believe this could possibly happen... let him go on his own recognizance. The prosecutors are now appealing that dumb-ass decision.

I am really getting sick and tired of these fucking judges who are letting these guys go, when we all know if the suspect was black, they would have tossed them in a hole and buried the hole.
    Agreed. This is getting dumb. They are labeled as terrorists. Then they should be treated as such and need to be kept in jail for this. They nearly killed this officer didn't they? Was he the one nearly crushed in the doors?

I might get metaphorically punched too but I haven't cared about Pepe le Pew or Speedy Gonzalez since I was in grade school. But I watched a couple of Pepe cartoons and a couple of Speedy cartoons on youtube today specifically because of this stuff that's going on.

Yes, Pepe was a parody of the French lover stereotype. He was a moron who couldn't tell the difference between his own species and others and who was constantly rejected because he smelled bad. I find it hard to believe anybody ever committed a rape because they idolized Pepe Le Pew.

In scrolling down to the comments on the Speedy Gonzalez stuff, lots of posts from Mexicans and Mexican-Americans saying they loved him as a child and he was fast and smart and one of the few positive Mexican characters.

A bunch of these videos had the comments shut off by youtube. There were a few that did not and the people posting them only got the comments activated by convincing youtube that adults would be the primary people watching these, not kids. Most of the comments were that this is the equivalent of book banning which used to be considered a bad thing.

Some of the more reasonable comments do make you realize why liberals and conservatives both have their faults and their reasons why the other side gets so fed up.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Agreed. This is getting dumb. They are labeled as terrorists. Then they should be treated as such and need to be kept in jail for this. They nearly killed this officer didn't they? Was he the one nearly crushed in the doors?
    I think this was a different officer. The fact that we have these things happening to multiple officers is reason enough to lock them up.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I think this was a different officer. The fact that we have these things happening to multiple officers is reason enough to lock them up.
    Forget how many officers it was.

That is a non-issue.

Everyone involved is about a close to the dictionary definition of "Enemy Combatant..." as you can get.

As long as we have to live with garbage like The Patriot Act and Gitmo?

Every single one of the people involved should actually be declared enemy combatants, rounded up, and held in Gitmo indefinitely.