Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    She identifies as a Transphobe. Very popular punchline with modern conservatives.
    I don't believe she has ever claimed to be transphobe. She's also said she wasn't trying to mock trans people.

https://twitter.com/ginacarano/statu...01756792860674

I'm curious as to what she's said that's transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Who the hell would see beep/bop/bip and assume that Carano was talking about Elizabeth Warren? Conservative comedy always sucks because it's impossible to even get it unless you are already plugged into the right wing media sphere and know immediately what imaginary grievances these supposed jokes are referencing. And even then, where is the punchline? She identifies as a robot? Humor isn't entirely subjective, and this joke just sucks.
    Anyone familiar with the use of preferred pronouns in Twitter bios should recognize that it serves to indicate that someone's political views are liberal. It's somewhat similar to describing an ethnicity as Latinx. It indicates that a person is progressive.

It is hardly unique to conservative humor that it references instances and grievances unfamiliar to people who aren't plugged in.

Granted, there shouldn't be efforts to fire writers on Saturday Night Live or Rick & Morty every time someone doesn't get a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    NJ has issues as well (always had), but so far our Governor seems to be handling himself, and the state, fairly well. Fingers crossed that this continues. I like Murphy, and while he can be a little bit of a political neophyte at times (or at least he has acted that way), there have been few major issues beyond the usual back and forth between him and the state legislature.

I think he may be opening some things up a bit too prematurely, but not anyway near what is going on in states like Texas.
    What works in New Jersey may not work in Texas, and vice versa.

New Jersey is a northeastern state that has the highest population density in the United States.

Texas has a twelfth the population density, and it's much warmer, so people will be able to spend more time outdoors in March.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Anyone familiar with the use of preferred pronouns in Twitter bios should recognize that it serves to indicate that someone's political views are liberal. It's somewhat similar to describing an ethnicity as Latinx. It indicates that a person is progressive.

This is a giant yikes statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't believe she has ever claimed to be transphobe. She's also said she wasn't trying to mock trans people.

https://twitter.com/ginacarano/statu...01756792860674

I'm curious as to what she's said that's transphobic.

It is hardly unique to conservative humor that it references instances and grievances unfamiliar to people who aren't plugged in.

Granted, there shouldn't be efforts to fire writers on Saturday Night Live or Rick & Morty every time someone doesn't get a joke.

What works in New Jersey may not work in Texas, and vice versa.

New Jersey is a northeastern state that has the highest population density in the United States.

Texas has a twelfth the population density, and it's much warmer, so people will be able to spend more time outdoors in March.
    You can't justify the elimination of the Mask Mandate in Texas using that logic. NJ and Texas are different, but so are every other state in the Union. There are also similarities. For example, Southern NJ is to Nothern NJ what Western PA is to Eastern PA politically. South Jersey has a warmer climate than Northern NJ, much like in California but on a smaller scale.

Masks and Social Distancing are universal precautions. Even after the majority of the population of the US are vaccinated, we will still need to wear masks for a while longer at least. Texas gets no free pass from the virus just because it is usually warmer, though obviously not always considering the recent snowstorm and power outage.

Warmer countries, like Brazil, have seen the same or similar levels of the pandemic as colder countries like Sweden.

Population density is not an excuse either. Many states with much smaller population densities, like the Dakotas, have seen rises in COVID infections.

It's less about such factors as climate and population density and more about state leadership or lack thereof.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

I find it sadly funny how conservatives are defending Texas an Florida by saying their total COVID deaths are lower than NY and NJ.
    Google "chart COVID Deaths". You will see that most of the Northeast deaths happened in the early months last year when the country was still trying to figure out how to deal with the virus and Trump was being his stupid self. The graphs go to a low line after May. Florida and Texas on the other hand, with their open everything mindset had a surge in deaths the second half of last year when they should have known better. Those Governors literally killed their citizens.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

You really gotta love the way conservatives try to accuse liberals of trying to politicize everything, all while they go out of their way to politicize the most trivial things they can find. Anyone who's been on the internet for any length of time knows that someone's gender isn't always immediately obvious from looking at their handle or profile picture, and that, because unlike some languages English forces us to use gendered pronouns when referring to people, it can sometimes be awkward if you assume someone's gender but get it wrong, so it can sometimes be helpful to just add that to your profile to avoid this confusion. I know that chuds like Gina Carano might think that they are dunking on the libs hard by trying to mock this practice, but just like everything else they do, it's really not the own that they think it is.

To be fair, Fairfax is probably going to lose his primary.

But he should still not be second in line to Northam (who also resisted calls to resign and faces no political penalty for that.)

Which means that there is even less of a downside to going way out of their way to make an example out of him.

Pepe Le Pew is also an object of ridicule, and not to be meant to be emulated.

While it's not just as simple as that, yeah. It's like folks not going further into it to see that they are saying(without coming right out and saying...) that Wile E. Coyote's whole bit is funny because he is an inept fool with a legit mean streak and a propensity for overkill who regularly gets exactly what he deserves.

Not that he is some sort of a role model for kids watching the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I find it sadly funny how conservatives are defending Texas an Florida by saying their total COVID deaths are lower than NY and NJ.
    Google "chart COVID Deaths". You will see that most of the Northeast deaths happened in the early months last year when the country was still trying to figure out how to deal with the virus and Trump was being his stupid self. The graphs go to a low line after May. Florida and Texas on the other hand, with their open everything mindset had a surge in deaths the second half of last year when they should have known better. Those Governors literally killed their citizens.
    Ugh.

While I'm not saying you are entirely wrong?

You are also absolutely trying to create an "Out..." where there shouldn't be one.

Straight talking....

- Was the entirety of medicine at the time just completely unaware that it was going to be more likely to kill an elderly person who contracted it?

- Was the USNS Comfort not in place by April to potentially give government the means to, at least, attempt to isolate some elderly folks from the rest of the elderly in assisted living homes?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Ugh.

While I'm not saying you are entirely wrong?

You are also absolutely trying to create an "Out..." where there shouldn't be one.

Straight talking....

- Was the entirety of medicine at the time just completely unaware that it was going to be more likely to kill an elderly person who contracted it?

- Was the USNS Comfort not in place by April to potentially give government the means to, at least, attempt to isolate some elderly folks from the rest of the elderly in assisted living homes?
    Living in NY, I can tell you it was chaotic. I have no problem talking about what NY & NJ did right and wrong. My point is saying Florida and Texas handled it better because of total deaths, without looking at when those deaths happened, and that FL and TX refused to learn the lessons from those early days is a meaningless argument.
    The NY & NJ learned what to do and flattened their curve.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Living in NY, I can tell you it was chaotic. I have no problem talking about what NY & NJ did right and wrong. My point is saying Florida and Texas handled it better because of total deaths, without looking at when those deaths happened, and that FL and TX refused to learn the lessons from those early days is a meaningless argument.
    The NY & NJ learned what to do and flattened their curve.
    I'm not saying things were not at all chaotic.

Just that the whole idea that there were not pretty concrete, known medical realities that they could(and should...) have factored in that they did not.

It's not like it was all just complete unknowns in play.

That makes it a bit more murky as far as trying to go "Apple..."/"Apple..."

Not saying that some states were not victims of their own folly.

Just that NJ/NY were not exactly as "There Is No Way We Could Have Known..." as that.

Just that the whole idea that there were not pretty concrete, known medical realities that they could(and should...) have factored in that they did not.

Just that NJ/NY were not exactly as "There Is No Way We Could Have Known..." as that.
    I am not saying that, but hindsight is 20/20.
    I am talking about Florida and Texas (which you are not) which by Fall should have known what to do, but they went against the CDC and all known medical advice, opened up, didn't mandate masks and deaths surged. Don't you think that is a bit worst than when NY and NJ were grappling with the virus in the beginning. And wouldn't you admit the charts show those States did control it after the first months while the GOP Governors of TX and FL screwed up.

It was that. There was no way NY and NJ could have known just how bad it might get, and what needed to be done. It was like a tidal wave when all you saw at first was a lapping of the water on the shore. We started with about a handle full of deaths, then before we knew it that number grew exponentially and there was a mad rush to shut things down and desperately try to get it under control.

We had no guidance from the federal govt, no supplies, no PPE. We were all told to wear masks, but for the first few months, no store sold them. or if they did, they were all going to health care workers. I had to tear apart shirts and hunt around for anything that I could use to improvise a face covering. There were drives to collect medical supplies for the hospital staff and other front-line workers.

It really was chaos, and that didn't make it any easier for either the health care workers of those of us who were just trying to survive.

So yeah, we knew something was coming, we just had no idea how fast it would arrive and just how bad it would get. I honestly did compare it to a Tsunami / Tidal Wave and I was standing at the edge of the water wondering if I was about to drown as well.

I am not saying that, but hindsight is 20/20.
    I am talking about Florida and Texas (which you are not) which by Fall should have known what to do, but they went against the CDC and all known medical advice, opened up, didn't mandate masks and deaths surged. Don't you think that is a bit worst than when NY and NJ were grappling with the virus in the beginning. And wouldn't you admit the charts show those States did control it after the first months while the GOP Governors of TX and FL screwed up.
    To me?

Absolutely not.

Each instance was a state just ignoring basic "Known..." medical reality for whatever reason.

That NY/NJ(NY. in particular...) eventually wised up? Does not excuse the damage done while they were seemingly(or, in the case of the ship? For a political end...) ignoring really basic medical reality.

That you got a handle on it? That doesn't excuse that it happened to start with. Actually, it's even worse because it was predictable and the resources were in place to have stopped it before it got rolling.

As for what's in green?

Trying to frame it as "They Screwed Up..." when NY/NJ(again NY, in particular...) had enough known quantity and Federal assistance that what happened never should have(or, at least to nowhere near that degree...)?

It's a non-starter.

Each one was/is a disaster that was the result of things that were knowable medical realities.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    It was that. There was no way NY and NJ could have known just how bad it might get, and what needed to be done. It was like a tidal wave when all you saw at first was a lapping of the water on the shore. We started with about a handle full of deaths, then before we knew it that number grew exponentially and there was a mad rush to shut things down and desperately try to get it under control.

We had no guidance from the federal govt, no supplies, no PPE. We were all told to wear masks, but for the first few months, no store sold them. or if they did, they were all going to health care workers. I had to tear apart shirts and hunt around for anything that I could use to improvise a face covering. There were drives to collect medical supplies for the hospital staff and other front-line workers.

It really was chaos, and that didn't make it any easier for either the health care workers of those of us who were just trying to survive.

So yeah, we knew something was coming, we just had no idea how fast it would arrive and just how bad it would get. I honestly did compare it to a Tsunami / Tidal Wave and I was standing at the edge of the water wondering if I was about to drown as well.
    Politely, I've got to seriously disagree.

That it was going to be a lot worse for the elderly?

Absolutely a "Known..." right from the start.

No state that was actually serious should have needed Federal guidance to do something sensible about that incredibly basic medical reality.

Never mind that there was Federal assistance in the way of a ship to put those elderly on as early as April.

A good bit of what was needed for anyone with even a little common sense to minimize the number of deaths among the elderly was there.

There is almost no excuse for not having made better use of it than they did.

Politely, I've got to seriously disagree.

That it was going to be a lot worse for the elderly?

Absolutely a "Known..." right from the start.

No state that was actually serious should have needed Federal guidance to do something sensible about that incredibly basic medical reality.

Never mind that there was Federal assistance in the way of a ship to put those elderly on as early as April.

A good bit of what was needed for anyone with even a little common sense to minimize the number of deaths among the elderly was there.

There is almost no excuse for not having made better use of it than they did.
    Politely, I would strenuously disagree. I don't remember if you are from the NY/NJ area, but if you are then maybe you saw things differently than I did. If you are not from the NY/NJ area, then you'd have to have lived through it to truly understand what was going on.

Sure, eventually a ship did arrive, but it often sat empty because there were no orders given in regards to how the ship was to be used and what patients it was supposed to receive. And that ship, in no way, helped NJ. We didn't have a ship here, all we had were hospitals short on staff, supplies, and overflowing with patients most of whom were too sick with COVID.

My Governor did the best he could, but it was a fight just to get the PPE and Equipment, and bed spaces to handle the growing number of cases.

It wasn't until the East Coast Alliance began working together that some improvements occurred, but that took a few months.

I think you are very wrong about what was known and what needed to be done, and what could be done in the beginning. There were on average 10 to 15 thousand nursing home cases in NY, and you think a ship in NY harbor with a thousand beds would have solved that. Not to mention the Darwining procurement of PPEs because the Feds checked out. Medical treatment was all over the place as they tried to figure it out.
    And you want to say that the surges in Florida and Texas in Fall and Winter, when we knew so much more and those States ignored it is not worse?
    Try harder.

I now await your post howcBiden isn handling Covid any better than Trump.