Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Since this COVID relief bill is completely partisan, without a single Republican supporting it, I would think that every Republican in the country will now reject the $1400, as to not be a complete hypocritical. Or so one would assume.
    Jeez...

We would have to ignore numbers that folks in this thread have pointed out about "John/Jane Public..." Republicans and their support for stimulus checks for that to make even a little sense.

Never mind that by this reasoning around ten percent of Democrats would be "Completely Hypocritical..." if they accepted the direct stimulus payment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/03/u...eck-polls.html

A poll shows most Americans, including many Republicans, support $1,400 stimulus checks.
    A huge majority of Americans, including nearly two-thirds of Republicans, support the $1,400 stimulus checks President Biden is calling for, and his full $1.9 trillion stimulus proposal also has strong public backing, according to a new poll from Quinnipiac University.

The poll found that 78 percent of Americans supported the stimulus checks, including 90 percent of Democrats and 64 percent of Republicans — suggesting that Republicans in Congress who want to reduce the checks to $1,000 are out of step with their constituents on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    And I don't believe I'm the one who lies about folks who are clearly white nationalists not being white nationalists to defend them because of a reflexive habit of defending the worst people in my party.

Y'know, if we're going to hold posting history against people.
    It's not about posting history.

You suggested that the people on your side were very informed in contrast to numberthirty, when one of the people he responded to earlier had a few hours earlier mentioned something debunked in June.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Why is my name associated with Met's post?
    I'm guessing it was a copy/ paste error.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    So no one should ever be fired for any reason? Or do only public figures get that kind of job security?
    The view I expressed before its that people generally shouldn't be fired for views that are within the mainstream or that you think decent people could hold. A way to define mainstream views is whether you would want a Senator on your side in a close election (an example for anyone on the left would be Maggie Hassan in 2022 while the right could say the same about her Republican opponent) to openly say they are disgusted by someone, and do not want the vote of anyone who agrees with that person. If you're willing to say that, and we all are for rare situations, firing an actor or a reporter makes sense. If you think you might ever want the votes of people who agree with the person being "cancelled," you probably shouldn't be indicating that these views are so reprehensible as to merit professional repercussions.

These standards shouldn't only apply to public figures. A fired electrician, janitor or web designer has less of an ability to rally people to their cause, so it's just as important that they able to speak their minds.

There's nothing in my comments to suggest that no one can get fired. If someone fails to do their job or is less productive than other employees should be, they should get fired. I have no idea how anything I've said was construed as implying that a doctor shouldn't be fired for being drunk on the job.

There are also going to be some organizations where people can get fired for holding otherwise acceptable positions. In most cases, it would be wrong to fire someone for converting to Catholicism, but a synagogue won't want a rabbi who did that. An explicitly progressive magazine might not want someone who praised a Republican Governor, while a socially conservative outlet might not want someone pro-choice. The distinction is that these organizations make it clear that their base is limited to a select few.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

The way you posted the headline is a little odd, in that it suggests Myrella Gonzalez is someone we should know, whose opinion we should take seriously, when she seems to be a relatively obscure activist/ grad student.

I do respect her for being ideologically consistent in highlighting the problems the Biden administration has satisfying the expectations of people who were criticizing the Trump administration for its border policies.

There are now a record number of unaccompanied migrant children in facilities meant for adults, half held past the legal time limit.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/investi...dults-n1260097
    That was the full title of the article. Didn't see much of a point in changing it.

As for the piece, she has an actual point.

That said, Biden has actually been on the side of doing the right thing in the past. He may very well wind up addressing her concerns about the "For Profit..." aspect of the whole thing.

Republican base who eagerly accept the $1400 stimulus payments while also complaining about it being too costly are like the 'Stop the Steal' attendees who also never voted.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

I guess some people don't understand the concept of a joke.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Republican base who eagerly accept the $1400 stimulus payments while also complaining about it being too costly are like the 'Stop the Steal' attendees who also never voted.
    Or Presidents who only vote by mail saying absentee ballots are all fraudulent.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I'm guessing it was a copy/ paste error.
    It does look like Mister Mets' post that ended with him saying
    30 isn't the one who posted an urban legend debunked by Politifact back in June.
    had begun with Mister Mets quoting Tami's
    You can't justify the elimination of the Mask Mandate in Texas using that logic . . .
    post.
    (So it really must have been a convoluted cut-and-paste error.)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    It does look like Mister Mets' post that ended with him saying had begun with Mister Mets quoting Tami's post.
    (So it really must have been a convoluted cut-and-paste error.)
    Actually, I do know. My wording was improper. I only intended to point out the error in a sightly 'humorous' manner, and apparently, I failed to do so.

The Grammy's are coming out and Rachel Maddow (MSNBC) won for the audiobook version of her book Blowout. I think she was more surprised than anyone.

... I have no earthly idea. Sorry about that, I'll... I'll see about editing that because, "huh?"
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    ... I have no earthly idea. Sorry about that, I'll... I'll see about editing that because, "huh?"
    I should have simply pointed out the mistake. Sorry for making an issue of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I guess some people don't understand the concept of a joke.
    Everyone gets the concept just fine.

The actual execution once it has been typed out(never mind the particular type of joke...)?

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    They should, in theory.

In reality, they'll take the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Of course they will, the same way Ayn Rand took her Social Security money when she became eligible for it, despite her writings on "individualism."
    That would seem to be a whole other can of sardines.

You suggested that the people on your side were very informed in contrast to numberthirty, when one of the people he responded to earlier had a few hours earlier mentioned something debunked in June.
    I guess if you can find a single instance of somebody on the other side posting evidence that had been debunked, then that disproves the whole argument........
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Everyone gets the concept just fine.

The actual execution once it has been typed out(never mind the particular type
    And yet, you thought I was asking a serious question.

"Those bombs are kind of expensive for a dude who owes me two thousand dollars..."

God bless that guy.