Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    but I freely admit there's still a lot a do not know.
    We're all there, all the time.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    So I hadn't given much thought to Tulsi Gabbard since she fell out of the presidential race and finished out her term in Congress with a whimper. And I had profiled her for the April Fool's Day CSGOPOTD last year... so I was like, "Wonder what she's up to?"

Well, I saw one Twitter post where she was promoting an online discussion of "cancel culture" she was jointly hosting with former GOP Congressman Trey Gowdy. As in, she was going along with conservative's gripes.

And then I came across this post where she is claiming the United States is using Al Qaeda proxies to fight for us in Syria. Full stop, she claims we now have the people who did 9/11 fighting FOR us. Which is an insane claim that's also the sort of Islamophobia she's been noted for. And the propaganda you'd expect from Bashar al Assad, who she's always been weird about not speaking ill of.
    So what you are saying is we'll be seeing for the first time an update to a Democrat of the Day profile on April 1st?

(Also, sorry for a lack of posts and presence around here folks. Been really busy with a lot of life situations and now preparing to move to a new home).

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Thank you, wow, so I already knew this one. In the context of previous comments on this thread I thought there was now a 'K' word that was offensive to the trans community and hence my questioning. I appreciate the response. What new things I do learn in regards to PC culture and inclusivity, I commit to memory and do my best to employ whenever I find myself in a social interaction that demands it, but I freely admit there's still a lot a do not know.
    Sorry if the difference in examples wasn't clear, I was just trying to get at them both being situations where there is very, very little chance of somebody accidentally being insulting.

On the K word, the fact that it rarely pops up actually makes the ignorance argument worse imo. The word is such a specific slur it's hard to accidentaly use it unless you're around people that constantly use it.

The last time I even heard it used was a South Park episode from Cartman and even he knew it was an extreme thing to say.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Meanwhile....

There Have Been Nearly 4,000 Incidents Of Anti-Asian Racism In The Last Year

As the coronavirus pandemic raged, the number soared. And it keeps rising. That's no coincidence, especially after Trump and Qpublicans went out of their way to call COVID-19 the "China Virus", leading to the violence.
    It's not just the Republicans Trumpers, it's also all the fear-mongering in the media about China. The rise in hate crimes was something that had been projected to happen due to the increased friction between China and the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    On the K word, the fact that it rarely pops up actually makes the ignorance argument worse imo. The word is such a specific slur it's hard to accidentaly use it unless you're around people that constantly use it.

The last time I even heard it used was a South Park episode from Cartman and even he knew it was an extreme thing to say.
    What I find amazing are the idiots who try and use the word to be clever and they end up calling the guy a kite. Ive seen this several times. Like Brian said in the Porkys movie

"You're even too stupid to be a racist."
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

I know my first mistake is in looking for logic in racism, so forgive me. But where's the logic? Maybe, maybe, (OK definitely, but so do we) the Chinese government was experimenting with biological weapons. And maybe, maybe one of them got out. That doesn't mean everyone in the Chinese government is to blame (or honestly even the ones working on it, depending on what happened if it was a Wuhan lab leak). It makes even less sense to blame the billion plus Chinese citizens. And then to stretch that blame to US citizens of East Asian descent (many of whom aren't even Chinese)?

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I know my first mistake is in looking for logic in racism, so forgive me. But where's the logic? Maybe, maybe, (OK definitely, but so do we) the Chinese government was experimenting with biological weapons. And maybe, maybe one of them got out. That doesn't mean everyone in the Chinese government is to blame (or honestly even the ones working on it, depending on what happened if it was a Wuhan lab leak). It makes even less sense to blame the billion plus Chinese citizens. And then to stretch that blame to US citizens of East Asian descent (many of whom aren't even Chinese)?
    I grew up with very racist people in my life. Grand parents, uncles, aunts, even my dad. So to me hating certain people was just how it was. I never thought about why this was the case. Not until several years ago. I have posted on here about my changing political views and one of those big changes is one my views of race. I am looking a lot more into things and trying to open my mind. I will admit I still have my moments where I do have disparaging thoughts Hell im a human raised by a family of racist redneck republicans to admit otherwise would be a lie. looking at my views of the past and even now on some races I know there is no logic behind any of them. That is it dumb as Hell. Now rather then letting those moments slide I think about what brought it on and why I had that thought to begin with.

I think one thing that started my change of views is my friend Jay. I met him in a mental health support group. he is African American. I didnt talk to him much. Then one day we talked about comics, then Dnd, then found other ground and it has turned into a five year friendship. I found common ground with him on a human level. I know that ten or Hell even 8 years ago I would not have made the effort to talk to him in the first place let alone invute him into my house or share many of the personal things I have shared with him.
    Last edited by babyblob; 03-17-2021 at 09:56 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

The lab leak was always an unsubstantiated conspiracy theory, it was knowingly pushed by the media anyway, and not just the fringe right wing outlets, exactly because it strikes a chord with the latent xenophobia among the American public that has been around ever since Asian people started coming here. Besides, even if the average American was able to tell the difference between people of different ethnicities, would it somehow be better if the hate crimes specifically only targeted Chinese citizens? By the way, there is absolutely no documentation or evidence that China has ever operated a biological weapons program, largely due to the trauma caused by the germ warfare used by Japanese forces during WW2, aside from the general assumption among people these days that China is doing all sorts of evil shit for no reason and are just really good at hiding it.

It's rhymes with "bike". I first heard of it from controversy over its use in a Michael Jackson song, think it was called "They don't really care about us". In articles I read it was actually mentioned that it had fallen out of use for the most part, and should have remained that way. Not a common one still, but sadly still around.
    Remember that time in '98 Marvel editorial intended to refer to Sabretooth as a "killer" and somebody somehow put that anti-Semitic slur in its place and it made it to print?
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    A state representative in Ohio wants to rename a state park for Trump. I just done understand why people are still kissing his ass.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...resident-trump
    While here in New York, there is already a state park named for Donald Trump, but there is a movement to have it renamed for Ruth Bader Ginsberg.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    While here in New York, there is already a state park named for Donald Trump, but there is a movement to have it renamed for Ruth Bader Ginsberg.
    I hope that does happen. I hope everything with Trump's name on it get's the same treatment.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Absolutely. The times in American history and the cultures that Conservatives seem to perceive as a golden age (say, the 1950s) were built on the backs of people who benefited the least during those times.
    It’s worth pointing out that a lot of the nostalgia Conservatives have for the ‘50s has to do with the rise of the civil rights movement in the’60s and the subsequent voting rights gained in the southern states. The switch from Democratic to Republican of the white southern voter base can be traced directly to the GOPs support of Confederate statues, Baptist evangelicals, and unabashed partisan gerrymandering in that region.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Just saw that Trump is now urging his supporters to get the COVID vaccine. Clearly the Deep State-operated nanobots in the vaccine he received are working.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci