Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    It's rhymes with "bike". I first heard of it from controversy over its use in a Michael Jackson song, think it was called "They don't really care about us". In articles I read it was actually mentioned that it had fallen out of use for the most part, and should have remained that way. Not a common one still, but sadly still around.
    It was still in pretty wide use on fringe twitter a year or two ago. As part of my "twitter policing" hobby I would search for the word and come across disgustingly antisemitic accounts.

And a lot of harmless Latin American tweets because with an accent on the é, it's a christian name.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

By the by, Meyers Leonard, the Miami Heat player who caught all kinds of hell for using that anti-Semetic slur during live feed videogame play was traded to Oklahoma City, but, the Thunder have no intention of keeping him.

https://www.nba.com/news/reports-hea...ard-to-thunder
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 03-18-2021 at 03:55 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't clear, but that's what I meant about "non-theoretical". Hate crimes, harassment, and discrimination are broad categories of bigotry. I meant, is there anything specific you have seen -- a story in the news or something you have experienced in your life -- that has made you think, "this is people being bigoted towards trans people"?
    To go with specific examples, it could be the time Laverne Cox's friend was attacked by an idiot who asked if Cox was a boy or girl.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/laverne...griffith-park/

As a specific example of online abuse, model Munroe Bergdorf frequently gets threats to her safety.

https://time.com/5710466/transphobic...-online-study/

I don't mean to highlight celebrities. Their stories get more coverage than those of others.

It appears that people made up a story about eight trans youth committing suicide after Trump won the presidential election. The most generous interpretation is that people made stories normalizing suicide to score political points. The worst is that it was intentional trolling of members and loved ones of a minority group with high suicide rates.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tr...2016-election/

Aimee Stephens of Detroit is a specific person who was fired for being trans.

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...ks-out-n634406

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    'Woke' critic James Lindsay is transphobic, racist, and misogynistic.

Working backwards from those positions to a vote for Trump is pretty easy for someone who holds those opinions.
    I only brought him up because someone else mentioned the ridiculousness of arguing 2+2=5, and Lindsay is the most vocal critic of any version of that argument.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 03-18-2021 at 03:56 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I only brought him up because someone else mentioned the ridiculousness of arguing 2+2=5, and Lindsay is the most vocal critic of any version of that argument.
    Sure, but I will point out that his 2+2=5 bits are naked arguments in defense of transphobia.

Last edited by Tami; 03-18-2021 at 06:33 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Whenever I have a bad day, I crawl under the covers, turn on the TV and lose myself in sports or documentary shows, I damn sure don't go out and kill people.

Oh, yeah, and if the shooter had been black or brown, he'd have the mother of all bad days because he'd be toe tagged in the morgue after cops filled him full of lead.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I can't believe it, but I had forgotten about that. I remember my local comic shop guy getting a notice about pulling them aside as he was putting out new books so he could I forget, destroy or ship them back?
    I have a copy of the issue prior that I got on release day, prior to it being pulled. Not as a "collector's item", mind you. Just that I have a s*** ton of old X-Men comics.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Just saw that Trump is now urging his supporters to get the COVID vaccine. Clearly the Deep State-operated nanobots in the vaccine he received are working.
    At least it doesn't rewrite your DNA and make Batman a sperm donor for your kids.

Astonishing Member

https://www.thedailybeast.com/******...ts-on-facebook

In a Facebook page associated with Capt. Jay Baker of the Cherokee Sheriff’s Office, several photos show the law enforcer was promoting T-shirts with the slogan “COVID-19 imported virus from CHY-NA.”

“Place your order while they last,” Baker wrote with a smiley face on a March 30 photo that included the racist T-shirts.

“Love my shirt,” Baker wrote in another post in April 2020. “Get yours while they last.'”
    The cops are pretty much fellow travelers. So much for being tough on crime.

Goddamn, the Onion is savage (and also painfully truthful).
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post

Those evil asterisks messed up your Daily Beast link.

"There's old sayings in Texas about find all the rope in Texas and get a tall oak tree. You know, we take justice very seriously, & we ought to do that. Round up the bad guys." -- here's Rep. Chip Roy (R-TX) glorifying lynchings during hearing on violence against Asian-Americans
    Twitter Link

Twisted, very twisted.

The U.S. has reached a “crisis point” in discrimination and violence targeting the Asian community, Asian-American congresswomen told the House Judiciary Committee on Thursday in the first hearing on the issue in more than three decades.
    Twitter Link

Some of the congresswomen said that comments similar to Roy’s comments at the hearing were reminiscent of the rhetoric that has led to an uptick in attacks on Asian-Americans.
    Twitter Link

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post

This guy is also a former Blackwater merc.

He needs to be fired.