Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Thank you for saying what you believe.

It had not previously been articulated in this thread that you (or anyone here for that matter) think Chip Roy made a deliberate decision to normalize lynching as part of a larger plot by the Republican party to kill more minorities. If I'm getting anything wrong in understanding your views, let me know.

I did not want to make any assumptions about views that people may hold that they hadn't described.

I do disagree with your conspiracy theory, but knowing it provides important context about your understanding of contemporary politics.
    I guess you hear what you want to hear, because, somehow it is a "conspiracy theory" when it's happening right in front of anyone with a pair of eyes and ears who doesn't have their head up their *** and actually listens to what Republicans have been saying and doing for the past decade?

Your party has become a white nationalist party. It uses white nationalist talking points (see their current paranoia about border-crossers bringing disease). Their words are helping getting people, who not coincidentally, aren't white Christian men, killed. Be it through attacks against Jews not long ago after repeated attacks against George Soros and inspired a shooting at a synagogue and the MAGABomber, and their practical celebration of police killings of African Americans while demonizing BLM and creating the hollow support "BlueLivesMatter" (when they were more than thrilled to attack capitol police), repeated phrasing of Covid-19 as "the China virus" that has led to a huge rise in attacks on Asian-Americans. Oh, and of course, lying about transgender women attacking other women in bathrooms, because we need to demonize someone in the LGBTQ community, too.

That's your party's rhetoric. It's not a conspiracy. Everyday, you're spending more energy here defending and enabling hatemongers who incited a coup, had Neo-Nazis and white nationalists attack the capitol, and then gaslight us to blame it on Antifa. When at any point, and at the request of many here to take personal ownership of their actions to call them out for it.

Most bizarre, you say I'M the one with a conspiracy theory, when that's what your party subsists on now, and what you oddly can't call them out for.

If you're trying to be a comedian, the joke of a rebuttal you just posted is sadly, not a funny one. But a joke nonetheless.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

$2 million bounty placed on Bigfoot in Oklahoma town: Must be captured alive and unharmed

OKLAHOMA CITY - A $2.1 million dollar bounty has been offered in Oklahoma for anyone able to safely capture the mythical, ape-like creature known as Bigfoot.

In January, Rep. Justin Humphrey introduced House Bill 1648 which, if passed, would require the Oklahoma Wildlife Conservation Commission to establish rules for a hunting season for the mythical creature purported to inhabit the forests of North America.

Under the legislation, the commission would be required to set annual season dates and create necessary hunting licenses and fees.

The legislation eventually died in committee, according to local reports.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Uh, where's the $2 million bounty suppose to come from?

Is the yo-yo who introduced the bill saying that Oklahoma has to tie up $2 million in escrow or something in case anybody actually produces a "Bigfoot"?
    Hey, I doubt it would ever happen, but if a politician proposes something like this, shouldn't the proposal also cover where the money would come from?

They are doing it for tourism. Like Area 51 and Rockwell. Fake things that bring the silly out, but bring tourists. But since most "Bigfoot" sightings are bears or people, a hunting season is dangerous and could get someone killed. They need to not allow the shooting of "Bigfoot".
    The $2 million is safe, but they shouldn't set it aside. A waste.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Atlanta Shooting Suspect Bought His Gun the Same Day He Allegedly Killed 8 People

It is easier to buy a gun in Georgia than to vote. Because the GQP thinks having a gun is an unrestricted right and voting is a privileged to be limited. Of course the Constitution says the opposite, but we shouldn't expect the traitor States to follow the Constitution.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Fun fact: Reed has been saying all week that because Gov. Andrew Cuomo has been faced with accusations of sexual harassment, that he should resign.

Well, if that' show it works, Mr. Reed... *gestures towards door for both of them*
    Tom Reed represents my district, and he's usually considered a moderate, but I call him Tom the Tool. And if this is what gets rid of him, great.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I also heard the dog whistle loud and clear. The simple fact that Chip Roy couldn't stop himself from using a lynching analogy in discussing the issue of Violence against Asians is either ignorance/stupidity or an outright manifestation of his racism. The Republican party, those in government especially, seem to feel emboldened to say the quiet parts out loud. They no longer fear being held accountable for it (even though they should).

Maya Angelou: "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time."

You can't simply whitewash this away, the dirt runs deep and always returns to the surface. He said it, and he refused to explain or apologize for it. He meant what he said.
    It doesn't seem to be a great dog whistle if so many people on the left can hear it.

Granted, this guy seems to be a political hack who worked for Rick Perry, Ted Cruz and Ken Paxton before barely winning a congressional election in a right-wing district, so we cannot assume a significant level of competence.

I'm still trying to figure out how the dog whistle would work. What are the racists supposed to hear?

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I guess you hear what you want to hear, because, somehow it is a "conspiracy theory" when it's happening right in front of anyone with a pair of eyes and ears who doesn't have their head up their *** and actually listens to what Republicans have been saying and doing for the past decade?

Your party has become a white nationalist party. It uses white nationalist talking points (see their current paranoia about border-crossers bringing disease). Their words are helping getting people, who not coincidentally, aren't white Christian men, killed. Be it through attacks against Jews not long ago after repeated attacks against George Soros and inspired a shooting at a synagogue and the MAGABomber, and their practical celebration of police killings of African Americans while demonizing BLM and creating the hollow support "BlueLivesMatter" (when they were more than thrilled to attack capitol police), repeated phrasing of Covid-19 as "the China virus" that has led to a huge rise in attacks on Asian-Americans. Oh, and of course, lying about transgender women attacking other women in bathrooms, because we need to demonize someone in the LGBTQ community, too.

That's your party's rhetoric. It's not a conspiracy. Everyday, you're spending more energy here defending and enabling hatemongers who incited a coup, had Neo-Nazis and white nationalists attack the capitol, and then gaslight us to blame it on Antifa. When at any point, and at the request of many here to take personal ownership of their actions to call them out for it.

Most bizarre, you say I'M the one with a conspiracy theory, when that's what your party subsists on now, and what you oddly can't call them out for.

If you're trying to be a comedian, the joke of a rebuttal you just posted is sadly, not a funny one. But a joke nonetheless.
    I think it's important to understand where other people are coming from, especially if there are aspects of their views that they are not communicating, in some cases because they take it for granted that everyone else is sharing their frame of reference.

I didn't realize that your understanding of the world is such that you think a political hack's statement about punishing people who commit crimes against Asian-Americans is so obviously a coded message to racists about supporting violence against African-Americans that anyone who comes to a different conclusion is worthy of insult.

I think that this is a high bar. I'm curious about how others on the board feel about it, Are they in agreement about every point? If they disagree about any of it, and aren't willing to say so, it would suggest a hypocrisy in any declarations about how Republicans who don't believe in a crazy conspiracy theory should call out those who do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Atlanta Shooting Suspect Bought His Gun the Same Day He Allegedly Killed 8 People

It is easier to buy a gun in Georgia than to vote. Because the GQP thinks having a gun is an unrestricted right and voting is a privileged to be limited. Of course the Constitution says the opposite, but we shouldn't expect the traitor States to follow the Constitution.
    The right to bear arms is in the second amendment.

There is a push to add a constitutional amendment, guaranteeing a right to vote, but there is no universal right to vote.

https://www.fairvote.org/right_to_vote_amendment
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Why do Republicans always leave out the first part of the 2nd?

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
    It says "regulated" right there in the Amendment. It also says "militia", which by it's very nature is an organized group.

Now mets will tell us what that has been interpreted to mean by the NRAGOP, unrestricted access. But the 14th and 15th Amendments give voting rights to all male citizens and the 19th to all women. I guess mets feels okay with his Party's restrictions on voting rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    WBE is wrong. That's the creepiest upper lip since Whedon's cut of Justice League, but married to the eyes from Overly Attached Girlfriend. The initial description didn't go far enough.
    It's worse when you consider the photographer probably took 30 - 50 photos and they decided that one was the best.

Why do Republicans always leave out the first part of the 2nd?

It says "regulated" right there in the Amendment. It also says "militia", which by it's very nature is an organized group.

Now mets will tell us what that has been interpreted to mean by the NRAGOP, unrestricted access. But the 14th and 15th Amendments give voting rights to all male citizens and the 19th to all women. I guess mets feels okay with his Party's restrictions on voting rights.
    You can thank the ghost of Antonin Scalia. He successfully argued in 2008 in 5-4 vote that since militias are no longer necessary the first portion of the amendment should not influence the rest.
    It really is amazing how short-sighted some of these supposedly wise and ethically superior SCJs really were and are.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 03-20-2021 at 11:46 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

It doesn't seem to be a great dog whistle if so many people on the left can hear it.

Granted, this guy seems to be a political hack who worked for Rick Perry, Ted Cruz and Ken Paxton before barely winning a congressional election in a right-wing district, so we cannot assume a significant level of competence.

I'm still trying to figure out how the dog whistle would work. What are the racists supposed to hear?

I think it's important to understand where other people are coming from, especially if there are aspects of their views that they are not communicating, in some cases because they take it for granted that everyone else is sharing their frame of reference.

I didn't realize that your understanding of the world is such that you think a political hack's statement about punishing people who commit crimes against Asian-Americans is so obviously a coded message to racists about supporting violence against African-Americans that anyone who comes to a different conclusion is worthy of insult.

I think that this is a high bar. I'm curious about how others on the board feel about it, Are they in agreement about every point? If they disagree about any of it, and aren't willing to say so, it would suggest a hypocrisy in any declarations about how Republicans who don't believe in a crazy conspiracy theory should call out those who do.

There is a push to add a constitutional amendment, guaranteeing a right to vote, but there is no universal right to vote.

But that Hack's views are held and expressed just as freely by the mainstream party members...

The YouTube clip that is in that piece...

Can't see why Dems are not, at the very least, making a serious push on that amendment right now.

They laughed, they cried, they killed monsters: How friendships thrived in video games during the pandemic

For someone who is hours away from his family, living alone on a college campus without in-person classes, and who infrequently sees a friend in the flesh, Hugh-Jay Yu has an impressively active social life.

Every night between 7 p.m. and 2 a.m., the 19-year old college sophomore in Evanston, Ill., hangs out with a group of friends on the chat and audio app Discord. There are 130 people in the group total, but usually around six to eight are logged in at any given time. Using a combination of audio channels and text chats, they play video games, have movie nights, share inside jokes, vent and laugh. The crew, which grew from people Yu met in college and others he knew in high school, now spans time zones and friend groups. He credits the games they play, from fighting in Super Smash Bros. to showing off geography knowledge in “GeoGuessr,” with helping everyone bond.

“This phenomenon of my friends meeting my other friends and becoming this close wouldn’t have happened, but for the thing ruining the rest of my life,” said Yu.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post

You can thank the ghost of Antonin Scalia. He successfully argued in 2008 in 5-4 vote that since militias are no longer necessary the first portion of the amendment should not influence the rest.
    It really is amazing how short-sighted some of these supposedly wise and ethically superior SCJs really were and are.
    So originalist Scalia decided that parts of the Constitution can be considered no longer applicable. Sounds right for that hypocrit.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post

Can't see why Dems are not, at the very least, making a serious push on that amendment right now.
    Because the Red States would never pass it. They passed The Voting Rights Act to make what the GOP is now doing against the Law. But Roberts, without any justification, threw out a large part of it. That is why they are trying to pass a new Voting Rights Act. And the Right to Vote is implicit in the 14th.

Because the Red States would never pass it. They passed The Voting Rights Act to make what the GOP is now doing against the Law. But Roberts, without any justification, threw out a large part of it. That is why they are trying to pass a new Voting Rights Act. And the Right to Vote is implicit in the 14th.
    That is a bit of a stretch.

While I can understand that it is there if you want to read into that amendment?

The history professor in the clip points out the obvious issue with doing so.