Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    John Boehner, Al Franken, John Conyers are the ones that come to my mind. And of course, currently with Cuomo.
    Thanks, I’ll have a look at those over the next few days...one thing I constantly learn by reading this thread is US/UK politics do differ in ways I never expected.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Al Franken. And compared to Trump, he was a Saint.
    In fairness, who isn't a saint compared to that guy?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    In fairness, who isn't a saint compared to that guy?
    Point taken. Though I could name a few GOP members of Congress.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Keep an eye out for just how much Biden is actually going to walk the walk when it comes to actually looking out for the working class...

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/u...n-ohio-mexico/

UAW Says Ford Won't Honor Contract As Vehicle Production Swings From Ohio To Mexico
    According to a letter seen by Roadshow that Gerald Kariem, vice president of the UAW's National Ford Department, sent to Local 2000 union members, Ford "decided it will not honor its promise to add a new product" to the Ohio Assembly Plant. The plant was part of the union's 2019 bargaining effort, and Kariem said the union won a major victory in securing a $900 million investment and a promise from Ford the OHAP would be the home of a next-generation vehicle starting in 2023. Kariem said in his letter Ford now "intends to build the next-generation vehicle in Mexico."

Kariem, speaking on behalf of the UAW, said the union rejects the company's decision to "put corporate greed and more potential profits over American jobs and the future of our members." In the letter he also accused Ford of breaking its contractual commitments and threatened "action" if the company does not change its decision.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Progressives do tend to hold people in their party accountable though...
    Do the people on this thread respond to an obnoxious progressive the same way they would to an obnoxious conservative?

I understand the argument that what matters is how partisans treat elected officials or other prominent individuals affiliated with a party (media personalities, appointed officials) but it seems inconsistent to expect the other side to do the right thing in a high-stakes situation (criticizing someone with a nasty social media following, calling out a senator with a reputation for pettiness) when someone is unwilling to do the same in a low-stakes situation (noting that some guy online was rude, used a bad faith argument, whatever.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Do the people on this thread respond to an obnoxious progressive the same way they would to an obnoxious conservative?

I understand the argument that what matters is how partisans treat elected officials or other prominent individuals affiliated with a party (media personalities, appointed officials) but it seems inconsistent to expect the other side to do the right thing in a high-stakes situation (criticizing someone with a nasty social media following, calling out a senator with a reputation for pettiness) when someone is unwilling to do the same in a low-stakes situation (noting that some guy online was rude, used a bad faith argument, whatever.)
    I think it's less about being obnoxious than it is about being obtuse or illogical.

Obnoxious people don't last very long on the CBR, you should know that.

After four years of he who shall not be named and his cronies, it seems like many Republicans have taken it as a privilege to say and do whatever they want, damn the consequences.

in the past, each side of the political spectrum had their moments when someone would be condemned and another would be praised for doing the same basic thing. Only lately, Democrats are under pressure to always do the right thing in order to counterbalance Republicans who don't always seem to know the difference between what is right and what is wrong.

Sigmund Freud would have a field day trying to analyze what is currently going on in American Politics.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

They do, examples were already given...it's just that it doesn't happen as often, which should probably be seen as telling.

I react that way to obnoxious progressive celebrities. Sean Penn and Alec Baldwin, for two. I agree with most of their political views, but when it comes to dealing with the public, they are often total asses, both of them.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Keep an eye out for just how much Biden is actually going to walk the walk when it comes to actually looking out for the working class
    So, publically supporting the Union vote at Amazon. Pushing for an increase in minimum wage and the COVID bill isn't enough for you?

And then we can compare Marty Walsh to Alex Acosta.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 03-21-2021 at 05:07 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

So, publically supporting the Union vote at Amazon. Pushing for an increase in minimum wage and the COVID bill isn't enough for you?

And then we can compare Marty Walsh to Alex Acosta.
    The "Push..." where they just yelled "Uncle!..."

I believe the phrase is "Hell No..."

As for what I think that you are saying in green?

Biden is the one that ran on being the "Working Class..." guy.

That being the case?

He is the one I will actually be watching. Unless he is going to the dentist or having oral surgery in the near future?

Nothing will actually be stopping him from addressing it himself.

How does he raise minimum wage with the filibuster? They were not allowed to put it in the reconciliation bill.
    If you think he hasn't addressed the working class, you haven't been listening.

How does he raise minimum wage with the filibuster? They were not allowed to put it in the reconciliation bill.
    If you think he hasn't addressed the working class, you haven't been listening.
    Jeez...

You just brought it up like it should impress me with how hard he is going to bat for working folks.

Now, you are telling me about how it was going nowhere the whole time.

As for Ford?

I see right around "Nothing..." stopping him from actually taking steps to address that.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Jeez...

You just brought it up like it should impress me with how hard he is going to bat for working folks.

Now, you are telling me about how it was going nowhere the whole time.

As for Ford?

I see right around "Nothing..." stopping him from actually taking steps to address that.
    Did Biden negotiate whatever contract Ford just broke with the union?
    I'm not sure how Ford breaking a promise between them and the UAW last Tuesday automatically translates into Biden isn't doing anything at all for working-class Americans.

Seems like you're still just reaching hard for shit to criticize Biden for. Next, it'll be because the local 7-11 was out of your favorite ice cream.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

BANNED

As has just been demonstrated, while Republicans and Progressives can be criticized on these boards the closer you get to a Centrist/Neoliberal politician the less criticism is tolerated. Especially if they're running for or hold office, as if the fear is criticism of any kind on a comic book message board might be the straw that breaks the camel's back and causes them their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    They do, examples were already given...it's just that it doesn't happen as often, which should probably be seen as telling.
    I was thinking more about whether people on this board respond to obnoxious progressive posters the same way they would to obnoxious conservative posters.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets