BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    See, I can disagree with you strongly on your viewpoints, but I've never felt they're transparently bad faith.
    I don't think center-left liberals are consciously acting in bad faith, I just think that a lot of them like the way that ideas about social justice and equality sound, but aren't willing to accept the necessary changes to their own lifestyles to make any of that happen. I feel like a lot of them are just kind of waiting for future technological developments to render our current problems moot, but even if that happens, new technology will just create a whole new set of problems for us to struggle with.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    John Boehner is the former Republican Speaker of the House, and to my knowledge, he had no accusations.

I think you mean Anthony Weiner. Who hasn't been a Congressman for like... a decade.
    Yes I meant Weiner. Confused the phallic last names.

Let's remember that the average pay for a Ford worker is 91k. The median wage for an American worker overall is 51k. Both of those numbers are skewed by the top end of the metric. The average Ford worker is absolutely on the high end of what we'd consider 'working class' salary. The *average* working class American, however, is an underpaid, under-unionized, overworked, barely-clinging-to-their-job service employee, not a line manufcaturer.

So, kicking the legs out from under those Ford workers does the other workers some sort of good how?

This bit honestly sounds like someone who has bought into some "Divide And Conquer..." nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    So, kicking the legs out from under those Ford workers does the other workers some sort of good how?

This bit honestly sounds like someone who has bought into some "Divide And Conquer..." nonsense.
    Who's doing that? Please let me know. I'm just pointing out that they're not representative of the American working class at this point and the constant focus on the Detroit auto industry is missing a larger picture about the need for unionization in a world where Jeff Bezos is installing cameras in worker's trucks to see if they yawn too much.

Ford directly employs 58,000 American workers.

Amazon employs 798,000.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 03-21-2021 at 08:12 PM.

...who just passed the largest expansion to the welfare state in decades and will be providing thousands of dollars throughout the year to families who need it with intent to make that provision permanent. I'd say he's living up to that part, and not just because he didn't jump into the middle of a recently erupted labor dispute that would be politicized by him doing so and the Union may not even want him to do so. The president's involvement in things should be a last resort, not a first. You're demanding the spectacle of a left-wing version of the Trump presidency, which really explains a lot.

Plenty of working class folks have already either bought into "Divide And Conquer..." nonsense or been disappointed with what "Business As Usual..." Dems have done up until now.

While the social safety net is worthwhile?

What are your chances of keeping it(along with many other things...) in place and propped up if you wind up giving "Working Class..." folks one more reason to be disillusioned?

Plenty of folks already had their doubts about Biden based on Card Check when he was V.P.

The idea that you don't have ground to make up to keep the faith of those potential votes?

Just have my doubts about that, and the GOP sure have their pitch to those voters in it's back pocket. Even if it is smoke and mirrors.

Plenty of working class folks have already either bought into "Divide And Conquer..." nonsense or been disappointed with what "Business As Usual..." Dems have done up until now.

What are your chances of keeping it(along with many other things...) in place and propped up if you wind up giving "Working Class..." folks one more reason to be disillusioned?

Plenty of folks already had their doubts about Biden based on Card Check when he was V.P.

The idea that you don't have ground to make up to keep the faith of those potential votes?

Just have my doubts about that, and the GOP sure have their pitch to those voters in it's back pocket. Even if it is smoke and mirrors.
    Amazon warehouse workers in Alabama voting to unionize won the backing of an important executive.

Without naming the massive e-commerce company specifically, President Biden said in a video posted late Sunday that he supports the organizing drive in Bessemer, Ala.

"Today and over the next few days and weeks, workers in Alabama and all across America are voting on whether to organize a union in their workplace," Biden said in a video shared on Twitter. "This is vitally important — a vitally important choice, as America grapples with the deadly pandemic, the economic crisis and the reckoning on race — what it reveals is the deep disparities that still exist in our country."
    I think you don't understand how big a deal this was.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/01/97241...rs-union-drive

Card check is not the be-all end all, and it has a long ways to go to overcome decades of anti-union messaging.

You don't get to demand he use the bully pulpit, then call it smoke and mirrors when he does it.

Who's doing that? Please let me know. I'm just pointing out that they're not representative of the American working class at this point and the constant focus on the Detroit auto industry is missing a larger picture about the need for unionization in a world where Jeff Bezos is installing cameras in worker's trucks to see if they yawn too much.

Ford directly employs 58,000 American workers.

Amazon employs 798,000.
    Who already have the means to collectively bargain.

Protecting what you already have makes more sense that letting it be undercut while you focus on what might never be.

I think you don't understand how big a deal this was.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/01/97241...rs-union-drive

Card check is not the be-all end all, and it has a long ways to go to overcome decades of anti-union messaging.

You don't get to demand he use the bully pulpit, then call it smoke and mirrors when he does it.
    Politely?

You seem to have completely misread that.

Don't really dig quoting myself.

That said, how much more plain could that have been?

You realize that could all have been one post, or edited into your last post, right?

I did misremember something, however, but 'politely', it wouldn't be the first time you've made that accusation against a Dem. :P

Anyway, the automotive workers will be fine, and will have a friendly labor secretary if they need it. It's the Amazon workers who actually need help.

You realize that could all have been one post, or edited into your last post, right?

I did misremember something, however, but 'politely', it wouldn't be the first time you've made that accusation against a Dem. :P

Anyway, the automotive workers will be fine, and will have a friendly labor secretary if they need it. It's the Amazon workers who actually need help.
    Agree to disagree.

Both of those groups are part of the "Working Class...", and both need all of the help they can get.

Agree to disagree.

Both of those groups are part of the "Working Class...", and both need all of the help they can get.
    They'll be fine. This isn't a Hostess situation where the execs will kill the company rather than deal with a Union. There will be a new deal, and the federal government will lean towards the Union if it needs to be involved. What they don't need is to politicize the deal too early. The high powered lawyers on both sides will work it out in a matter of weeks.

They'll be fine. This isn't a Hostess situation where the execs will kill the company rather than deal with a Union. There will be a new deal, and the federal government will lean towards the Union if it needs to be involved. What they don't need is to politicize the deal too early. The high powered lawyers on both sides will work it out in a matter of weeks.
    Again, we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

My "They'll Be Fine..."?

It is an America where they don't have to collectively bargain for reasonably decent access to medical care.

Since this isn't within a couple of light years of there?

I'd just have to disagree about that they will be "Fine..."

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

What's wrong with this picture?

https://twitter.com/GoAngelo/status/1373661893424975880

Screenshot_2021-03-22 Angelo Carusone on Twitter.jpg

Laurence Tribe: Evidence Appears To Support Sedition Charge Against Trump

As for Georgia, Trump “basically tried to steal” the election, the Harvard law professor says.

The COVID-19 Relief Program Comes With A Big Asterisk

The American Rescue Plan will surely transform American lives. Will it also transform American politics?

Ted Cruz To Republicans: Do Not Compromise On Harsher Voting Restrictions

The Texas senator rallied his GOP colleagues around the issue on an invitation-only call heard by The Associated Press.

Jeanine Pirro Abruptly Ends Fox News Segment After Guest Praises Joe Biden

“Thanks for nothing,” the host said after a dispute in which her guest told her there were “very few” facts on her show.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 03-22-2021 at 01:24 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    It is, what?

The "Third..." wave(well, "Modern..." wave...) of Meet The Press?

If you are looking at that show and thinking "Boy, They're Really Gonna Get It Right!..."?

You have probably never actually listened to Chuck Todd for more than five minutes or sat through an episode of the "MKIII..." version of Meet The Press.