Page 179 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 791291691751761771781791801811821831892292796791179 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,685 of 75153

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    If that is the business owner in Louisville the police have said there is security video that they have from another store that shows him holding a gun and shooting three shots at police. I havnt seen the video so i cant say. I am going to hold off until I see what they claim to have.
    At the very least police cameras need to be rigged to a switch in the gun holster - it turns the camera on automatically if drawn. Not sure how feasible that is, but it doesn't seem unrealistic to pull off.

Plus a whole bunch of other stuff - like not only rolling back qualified immunity, but also the stupid interpretations that prevent victims from suing the department or city as a whole when lives are lost or homes damaged for tens of thousands of dollars. The overpowered protections remove any incentive for proactive reforms - meaning someone (or most likely several someones) have to die before anything is done.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Maybe the police should stop responding to protests against their violence with more violence?

They're still killing unarmed black men in the streets. They're tear gassing peaceful protesters. After their photo ops, natch. They're firing at reporters. They're getting caught causing destruction to property on camera.

MAYBE THE POLICE ARE STILL THE PROBLEM.

God forbid we address the issue that people are upset about. Let's respond with greater physical force!
    It's kind of a circular arguement. Yes, police acting violently against peaceful protestors is a huge problem. But protestors burning down business of innocent people justify police involvement. Of course not all police are attacking innocent protestors, just like not all protestors are setting buildings on fire. But the bottom line is people are acting wrongly on both sides, and unless that stops Trump potentially gets a free pass to do things his way. And I think everyone in the long run will pay for it if that genie gets out of the bottle.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It's kind of a circular arguement. Yes, police acting violently against peaceful protestors is a huge problem. But protestors burning down business of innocent people justify police involvement. Of course not all police are attacking innocent protestors, just like not all protestors are setting buildings on fire. But the bottom line is people are acting wrongly on both sides, and unless that stops Trump potentially gets a free pass to do things his way. And I think everyone in the long run will pay for it if that genie gets out of the bottle.
    We have been paying for it. Where have you been?

How many riots do we have to have before someone starts working on fixing our police forces?

How many black men have died INCLUDING my COUSIN because of some cop that should not have been at a job.

I don't condone destroying buildings but as the CEO of Target said-He can replace a store.

But lets not forget how all this started....

A cop killed a black man over a $20 bill by kneeing his neck for almost 10 minutes.

And once again entitled white folks justifying it because they HATE black people.

Same folks who are out there trying to blame everything on black folks by breaking into buildings and looting.

OHHH lets not forget that female dog that tried to LIE and get a black man killed.

Along with the cries to reopen everything because Covid 19 was killing black folks.

Folks are tired.

Folks are tired of how powerful racism has become and how COSTLY it is.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

I think, at the very least, that it will show poorly on the protesters/BLM part in case they at some point become directly responsible for many innocent people, including children, dying in cases in which segments start rioting/destroying buildings and the innocents get caught in the crossfires, whether children happen to be walking by closely or not. It doesn’t seem like any innocent people have directly died because any drastic actions from segments of protesters though, so it seems only the cops are to be held accountable for such matters at this point.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 06-02-2020 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    We have been paying for it. Where have you been?

How many riots do we have to have before someone starts working on fixing our police forces?

How many black men have died INCLUDING my COUSIN because of some cop that should not have been at a job.

I don't condone destroying buildings but as the CEO of Target said-He can replace a store.

But lets not forget how all this started....

A cop killed a black man over a $20 bill by kneeing his neck for almost 10 minutes.

And once again entitled white folks justifying it because they HATE black people.

Same folks who are out there trying to blame everything on black folks by breaking into buildings and looting.

OHHH lets not forget that female dog that tried to LIE and get a black man killed.

Along with the cries to reopen everything because Covid 19 was killing black folks.

Folks are tired.

Folks are tired of how powerful racism has become and how COSTLY it is.
    The CEO of target can replace his store... plenty of small mom and pop stores already on life support because of the covid lockdown is a different story. Dealing with police brutality is certainly an issue that needs to be addressed, but that has absolutely nothing to do with looting and burning down buildings so a bunch of criminals can get free stuff.

Point being there's plenty of wrong on both sides. And ideally a middle ground needs to be reached before Trump sends his Storm Troopers on the streets to do it for them.

And I hate to beat this issue into the ground but we're still dealing with a pandemic, which will likely result in hundreds of lives being lost because social distancing is being thrown out the window. That kinda sucks too. So Trumps not the only reason we're on the clock here.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    I think, at the very least, that it will show poorly on the protesters/BLM part in case they at some point become directly responsible for many innocent people, including children, dying in cases in which segments start rioting/destroying building and the innocents get caught in the crossfires, whether children happen to be walking by closely or not. it doesn’t seem like any innocent people have directly directly because of the drastic actions from segments of protesters though, so it seems only the cops are to be held accountable for such matters at this point.
    Someone earlier in this threat posted that a poll in the Morning Consult said 58% of people support bringing in the military. I never taking polling data TOO seriously even from reliable sources.... nonetheless that is a potential indicator that a the rioters buring down buildings and destroying lives are reflecting poorly on the protestors. Just as the police macing children are obviously reflecting poorly on the police. Basically everyone is looking terrible here.

I'm sure a second wave of negativity is coming down the pike when we start getting reports that the coronovirus cases have blown up and everyone starts blaming the protestors for ignoring social distancing. THis aspect of the narrative is mostly flying below the radar now... but once the deaths start rolling in, the finger pointing is going to start.

Heck, I almost think we might as well open the economy at this point. If hundreds of people are gathering in protests, does it even matter if we're in lockdown? If the virus is going to spread anyways, I wonder if it's better everyone can at least go back to work and earn a pay check. I don't know though... I'm sure medical experts smarter than me can figure out if the risk is worth it or not.

Ultimate Member

The CEO of target can replace his store... plenty of small mom and pop stores already on life support because of the covid lockdown is a different story. Dealing with police brutality is certainly an issue that needs to be addressed, but that has absolutely nothing to do with looting and burning down buildings so a bunch of criminals can get free stuff.

Point being there's plenty of wrong on both sides. And ideally a middle ground needs to be reached before Trump sends his Storm Troopers on the streets to do it for them.

And I hate to beat this issue into the ground but we're still dealing with a pandemic, which will likely result in hundreds of lives being lost because social distancing is being thrown out the window. That kinda sucks too. So Trumps not the only reason we're on the clock here.
    Too bad that cops didn't think that when he was kneeing Floyd.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Black Lives Matter co-founder says what protesters want is simple: Accountability “We barely get a sorry. We rarely get accountability," she said: https://abcnews.go.com/US/black*****...l_twitter_abcn

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Too bad that cops didn't think that when he was kneeing Floyd.
    I'm sure they didn't.

A lot of people aren't thinking about this aspect of the equation, and that will come back to haunt all of us down the line.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    I have a feeling they were talking about my home town of Cicero. Right now the town is closed for a large protest. I also wish people would learn to distinguish between gang members and regular citizens when they talk about people in regard to yesterday.

Isn't that illegal to take photos of houses without consent of the owner to use for ads? Also hell yes that's unnerving ! I dont get the reason for this, just help fix the neighborhood. Money is money, and it should not matter who it's coming from. I hate these guys so much.

I'm not tap dancing anything here. I'm saying a lot of people who were at one tim Republican did not view the race thing as in some cases, especially locally, that aspect was not on the table. Do I think there **** is racist, of course, but if were ever going to be able to help former members of said other party change there views we have to see what they saw so we can get them to see though the lies. Again I point to Liz Warren and The Rock as examples.

We've been able to stanch it some what, but theres still groups that want to come in and push people out. Our town is heavily influenced by the large minority and immigrant population, always has been.

1. Thank you for your service.

2. Agreed. Hell he had Nixon's lawyer involved in this. Also we need to talk about the lobby groups that put their two cents into this.
    I guess it got really bad in Naperville last night. Supposedly someone got stabbed.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Things appear quiet here in Philly. Curfew goes into effect in five minutes, two and a half hours later than the last two nights because of the rescheduled primary election today.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Body cams and deescalation don't work.

Use of Force Project had a pretty detailed study on those.

The cameras in places that started using them began posting more and more violent arrests on social media and effectively desensitized people to the choke holds, use of force on subdued suspects, and the like.

It's gonna take more things like stopping police unions from purging records of officers every 4-5 years and total demilitarization of all police.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Things appear quiet here in Philly. Curfew goes into effect in five minutes, two and a half hours later than the last two nights because of the rescheduled primary election today.
    I expect that up to 85% or higher voters in NJ will be doing it via Mail In Ballots. I expect to get mine sometime this month.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Blackwater doesn't officially exist as a business anymore. They closed down several years ago, probably to avoid any lawsuits resulting from the awful **** they perpetrated in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Unrelated:
    The GOP propaganda machine makes it easy for people who don't actually consider themselves racist to still support the Republican party.
    One of their favorites is old "Bootstraps" myth. "Black people don't get anywhere because they don't work hard enough." This can also be twisted into, "The Democrats want to give welfare to black people which makes them dependent on the government". Another spin-off is "Democrats are the real racists because they respect black people enough to make them work harder to get ahead."
    There are several more ways to spin that narrative, but you get the idea. Honestly, Joseph Goebbels would be very impressed with the Republican party.
    Maybe not, but they've grown even more dangerous to a democracy. I called them a core of a Brownlshirts organization. They are positioning to be the core of a Schutzstaffel.

Fast fact: so we had a local bike shop burn down a while ago, the land owner and the building owner refused to come to an agreement and the owner of the bike shop gave up trying to rebuild it. That was seven years ago.

Apparently a 103 year old camera shop got burned. The original camera and some other antique items were saved but a lot of that history including video from local residents is now gone.
    Yup, and in a lot of cases that's the life savings of these people.
    Exactly.

It's one thing for the outfits who head up an Auto Zone/Target/Family Dollar make a "Dollars And Cents..." call about rebuilding. It's a whole other thing when a minority-owned small business has to even think about dealing with what they will have to just to get back up and running.

If you are a part of putting them into that position? You need to at least consider that you might have disillusioned someone to a degree that they might not be in a hurry to participate past dealing with just their own business.

Intresting. Given the situation with the Tribune trying to keep itself straight with the new owners, I would be happy to see WGN America do this. Locally I trust them more than other sources.
    In addition to that, it's not like WGN/WGN America have any really important programming that a solid(hopefully...) nightly newscast will be bumping.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I guess it got really bad in Naperville last night. Supposedly someone got stabbed.
    Heard the same, but didn't hear anything past that it had supposedly happened. With any luck, it wasn't a serious stabbing.

My brother mentioned that he heard that a protest is set for Batavia tomorrow. Hopefully, it gets it's message across without anyone getting hurt or anything that might crank things up happening.