Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Hooooooooo boy.
    I dunno, Ten, I don't hate everything that is in the bill?

The bill would see any person spreading, with the intent to harm, personal information about public sector employees online fined 45,000 euros ($55,000) with the possibility of up to three years in jail. Any person who attempts to threaten or intimidate an elected official or public sector employee would be fined 75,000 euros ($91,000) and face up to five years in jail.

There are a few other noteworthy measures in the bill. Doctors will no longer be able to complete a so-called virginity check for patients before marriage—a common request among some Muslim families—and doctors still performing the checks would face a 15,000 euro ($18,000) fine and up to a year in jail.
    Was it also Islamophobic when moderate Muslims in Turkey banned the headscarf and the fez as part of Kemalism?
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2021/03/f...in-arbys-sonic

I hope minimum wage bill can be passed this year. curious that Inspire Brands owns all of these fast food restaurant brands.
    parent company of some of America’s largest fast-food chains is claiming credit for convincing Congress to exclude a $15 minimum wage from the recent COVID relief bill, according to internal company documents reviewed by The Daily Poster. The company, which is owned by a private equity firm named after an Ayn Rand character, also says it is now working to thwart new union rights legislation.

The company’s boasts come just a few months after a government report found that some of its chains had among the highest percentage of workers relying on food stamps.

Inspire Brands — which owns Jimmy John’s, Arby’s, Sonic, and Buffalo Wild Wings, plus recently acquired Dunkin’ Donuts for $11.3 billion in November — on Thursday sent employees and franchisees a review of its government lobbying activity that highlighted its success in keeping the $15 minimum wage out of Democrats’ American Rescue Plan, the COVID-19 relief bill President Joe Biden signed earlier this month.

“We were successful in our advocacy efforts to remove the Raise the Wage Act, which would have increased the federal minimum wage to $15 and eliminated the tip credit,” reads the report.

Further down, the report notes the company’s ongoing lobbying campaign in the Senate against the PRO Act, which recently passed the House and contains a laundry list of organized labor’s goals, such as eliminating right-to-work laws and banning mandatory company-sponsored meetings that are designed to discourage union activity.

“Under this proposed rule, franchisors could be considered the direct employer of the franchise owners in their system, as well as the restaurant workers those owners employ, taking away the independence of small business owners,” the document said.

“You get the impression that they’re actively spitting in our eye, saying ‘Yes, we worked to suppress wages of our employees and we’re just going to brazenly tell you,’” one Inspire Brands worker told The Daily Poster. “I really do think that a line was crossed. You’re just going to brazenly tell your employees, ‘not only did we work to kill wages, but going forward we’re also going to make sure that the PRO Act doesn’t pass either.’”

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    You made it a point to go "if true" for Gaetz.
    I would have said if true as well. not to defend a Republican but to defend some one in a country where "Innocent until proven guilty" is our motto. If you declare someone guilty just because of a report without hearing evidence then we may as well get rid of our courts.

This applies to ever one it does not matter what political party you belong to.

As for Biden or Barr not saying anything? How many times have we head lawyers or law enforcement officials say "I will not comment on an active investigation." Why should this be different? You dont want any target of investigation let alone one with money and clout to know what you have one him and what is being investigated until it gets to the point they have to reveal it to the lawyers after he is charged.

Now Trump damn sure should not have had him at a rally while the man is being investigated. That is just pretty shitty.
    Last edited by babyblob; 03-31-2021 at 05:56 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    You tried making excuses for the Trump DOJ.
    You made it a point to go "if true" for Gaetz.

Seems pretty clear you were starting to lawyer why IOKIYAR. Like you do. Compulsively.

Honestly, ask yourself... Why?
    At what point did I suggest it's okay for a Republican to do wrong?

You seem to care about what side someone is on, rather than the specifics of the thing being discussed. This can lead to strange avenues, like criticizing the Barr justice department for not leaking an investigation.

I do stand by my point that "If Gaetz committed the crime, announcing the investigation months before any charges are filed would only help him have more time to prepare for his legal defense. If he's capable of sex trafficking he's probably capable of bribing and intimidating witnesses." We shouldn't be expected to respond to the report of an investigation as if it's absolute proof of guilt. Presumably that's not the standard you would want for anyone reporting on Democrats.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    While I actually agree with that, did we see ANY move by Trump and his cronies to distance themselves from Gaetz after they found out?

Trump still invited Gaetz to at least one of his rallies very shortly before the elections, the one where he kept calling him the name of a former aide who was convicted - Rick Gates.

Paging Dr. Freud.
    We don't really know if Trump found out. He doesn't exactly pay careful attention to briefing material.

Though I doubt it would change his behavior. He consistently praises suck-ups.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    At what point did I suggest it's okay for a Republican to do wrong?

You seem to care about what side someone is on, rather than the specifics of the thing being discussed. This can lead to strange avenues, like criticizing the Barr justice department for not leaking an investigation.

I do stand by my point that "If Gaetz committed the crime, announcing the investigation months before any charges are filed would only help him have more time to prepare for his legal defense. If he's capable of sex trafficking he's probably capable of bribing and intimidating witnesses." We shouldn't be expected to respond to the report of an investigation as if it's absolute proof of guilt. Presumably that's not the standard you would want for anyone reporting on Democrats.

We don't really know if Trump found out. He doesn't exactly pay careful attention to briefing material.

Though I doubt it would change his behavior. He consistently praises suck-ups.
    Trump does not plan those rallies by himself. Somebody in charge knew, and decided Gaetz was still a welcome guest during a huge campaign event.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Really, Now? Cop Who Arrested Georgia State Rep. Park Cannon for Knocking on Governor's Door Claims Events of Jan. 6 Were on His Mind

https://www.theroot.com/really-now-c...k-c-1846585142

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Really, Now? Cop Who Arrested Georgia State Rep. Park Cannon for Knocking on Governor's Door Claims Events of Jan. 6 Were on His Mind

Yeah, I heard about that on TV and couldn't believe it. The whole thing is about as strange and authoritarian as you can get.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Just an excuse because he knew he messed up and he is trying to cover up for it.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    I dunno, Ten, I don't hate everything that is in the bill?
    I don't have to hate everything in the bill to see how it will be weaponized against France's Muslim minority, or how the politics of it are being driven by Macron's attempt to out Islamaphobe La Penn to secure his right flank. Islamaphobia is a huge thing in France. WE're talking about a place where the islamaphobic book 'Submission' was an instant best seller. It's weaponizing France's majority secular culture against a religious minority, hiding behind 'seperatism' as a tool of oppression and bigotry.

Was it also Islamophobic when moderate Muslims in Turkey banned the headscarf and the fez as part of Kemalism?
    No, it's a bit different when we're talking about the application of a law towards a minority versus a majority.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Oh, yeah, like she was going to kick the door off it's hinges and destroy everything and everyone in that office. Give me a freaking break!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I would have said if true as well. not to defend a Republican but to defend some one in a country where "Innocent until proven guilty" is our motto. If you declare someone guilty just because of a report without hearing evidence then we may as well get rid of our courts.
    The court of public opinion is what I'm addressing when it comes to Mets.

Like, nobody wanted to play devil's advocate for Anthony Weiner on this forum, because people on the left were immediately like, "D*** pics, eh? There's gonna be more, and he should resign. I sure as s*** won't get on his bandwagon now to defend him."

And lo and behold, it kept getting worse.

With Tara Reade's accusation against Joe Biden, people listened to her story, WANTED to believe her after MeToo (especially because most Democrats at the time were supporting other primary candidates) and the more she spoke about it, the more holes kept appearing in the accusation that just flat-out were impossible. When Ronan Farrow investigates and says, "nothing here, I looked and looked, it's... not credible"... well, good thing we thought, "if" in that instance.

On the right, when accusations come out, there's a moment where things just don't make sense, and you have to wonder why someone would defend them. When everyone and their cousin was coming forward to tell "Roy Moore is a pedophile" stories, there were still people in the GOP denying it and saying, "Better a pedophile than a Democrat". Now Matt Gaetz, who has effectively branded himself as "the conservative troll ***hole" ... he is photographed with a guy already charged in a sex trafficking ring AT THE WHITE HOUSE. And with Roger Stone. It's already established Gaetz houses underage kids (His "Cuban son" Nestor), he was the lone vote against sex trafficking, and he's a part of the people in DC closest to Trump who is always one degree of separation away from confirmed sex offenders at any time... and folks are going to go with, "IF TRUE..." when they can just stay quiet and not put their own credibility out there for Gaetz?

The FBI's investigating. If they're involved, it's legit. And anyone foolish enough to circle the wagons around Gaetz should do us all a favor and set them on fire first.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

For anyone interested, here's a sizzle reel of Scottish Tory leader Douglas Ross making an absolute arse of himself in front of young voters during yesterday's televised debate:

MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Do we know if Barr or Trump knew? They could have kept the early investigation from them as to not have any interference. The last months of the Trump Administration were consumed with his election crap and Barr resigned after Jan. 6th. So they may not have known Gaetz was being investigated.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Do we know if Barr or Trump knew? They could have kept the early investigation from them as to not have any interference. The last months of the Trump Administration were consumed with his election crap and Barr resigned after Jan. 6th. So they may not have known Gaetz was being investigated.
    Barr probably knew, as he had made it official policy for any investigation of political figures to require his personal sign off. Either he knew, or those running the investigation had it from him for fear he would kill it out of hand. Neither one is a good look for Billy disBarr.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Barr probably knew, as he had made it official policy for any investigation of political figures to require his personal sign off. Either he knew, or those running the investigation had it from him for fear he would kill it out of hand. Neither one is a good look for Billy disBarr.
    I have since read that Barr knew, but probably did not tell Trump.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!