Page 180 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 801301701761771781791801811821831841902302806801180 ... LastLast
Results 2,686 to 2,700 of 75153
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Someone earlier in this threat posted that a poll in the Morning Consult said 58% of people support bringing in the military. I never taking polling data TOO seriously even from reliable sources.... nonetheless that is a potential indicator that a the rioters buring down buildings and destroying lives are reflecting poorly on the protestors. Just as the police macing children are obviously reflecting poorly on the police. Basically everyone is looking terrible here.

I'm sure a second wave of negativity is coming down the pike when we start getting reports that the coronovirus cases have blown up and everyone starts blaming the protestors for ignoring social distancing. THis aspect of the narrative is mostly flying below the radar now... but once the deaths start rolling in, the finger pointing is going to start.

Heck, I almost think we might as well open the economy at this point. If hundreds of people are gathering in protests, does it even matter if we're in lockdown? If the virus is going to spread anyways, I wonder if it's better everyone can at least go back to work and earn a pay check. I don't know though... I'm sure medical experts smarter than me can figure out if the risk is worth it or not.
    Why is it always on the protesters to stop making noise instead of the cops to stop being outright evil?

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    Why is it always on the protesters to stop making noise instead of the cops to stop being outright evil?
    The protesters dont have to stop making noise. If anything they should make more noise. The looters and rioters need to stop making noise.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I expect that up to 85% or higher voters in NJ will be doing it via Mail In Ballots. I expect to get mine sometime this month.
    I voted by mail for today’s primary. Couldn’t have been easier.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I voted by mail for today’s primary. Couldn’t have been easier.
    How did it work? Did the ballot come with a special envelope to mail it back in? Did you feel safe sending your vote by mail? You are not worried about ti getting lost or tampered with?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Voter fraud via mail in ballots is legitimately not a real thing. Last Week tonight went over this recently. Watch it.

We’ve been doing it here in Washington forever and it’s fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Voter fraud via mail in ballots is legitimately not a real thing. Last Week tonight went over this recently. Watch it.

Utah has been doing it for 8 years too and the Democrats aren't suddenly in charge of everything.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post

I can't imagine the logistical hurdle to actually committing fraud by mail in ballot on a massive scale.

I swear to God, all the people who claim fraud are doing it based on a half remembered history lesson, or are just outright morons.

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    The noise of the protest isn't the problem... they can be as loud as they want as far as I'm concerned. It's the looting and the burning of buildings that I'm concerned with. That's what will draw Trump and the military onto the streets if it' not resolved.

But certainly it's important that the police get their act together. In an age where everyone has a cell phone, when they're crossing any lines they're hurting themselves.

I've said it a couple times, but there's plenty of stupid going around right now. A few people on both sides are ultimately making everyone look terrible.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    How did it work? Did the ballot come with a special envelope to mail it back in? Did you feel safe sending your vote by mail? You are not worried about ti getting lost or tampered with?
    To answer your first question, the ballot came with two envelopes, an inner one (for lack of a better description) marked “Absentee Ballot” which the completed ballot itself went in, and an outer, postage paid envelope to put the inner one in. As for the second question, yes, I felt safe sending it through the mail, in fact, I got a notification by email a week or so later saying my ballot had arrived and my votes officially counted. The whole process was a breeze, and I would have no trouble doing it again come November.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

BANNED

The noise of the protest isn't the problem... they can be as loud as they want as far as I'm concerned. It's the looting and the burning of buildings that I'm concerned with. That's what will draw Trump and the military onto the streets if it' not resolved.

But certainly it's important that the police get their act together. In an age where everyone has a cell phone, when they're crossing any lines they're hurting themselves.

I've said it a couple times, but there's plenty of stupid going around right now. A few people on both sides are ultimately making everyone look terrible.
    Calling in the military to try and suppress the protests is going to have disastrous results, in the age of social media, can you imagine if soldiers start gunning down protesters in the streets?

As always the people in charge are fixated on the optics of the situation, rather than thinking of how they can address the material concerns that the protesters have. It's pretty clear that the police aren't prepared to accept any substantial reforms and are just waiting for this whole thing to blow over and resume exactly what they had been doing before, but at best that just means delaying the chaos until the next time some cop is caught on camera killing an unarmed suspect. And while no one is happy about shops being looted, when politicians and pundits cry crocodile tears over property damage while completely ignoring people being shot and choked to death, it's pretty hard to really believe that "both sides are just as bad" narrative.

Mighty Member

The difference is at the end of the day the peaceful protesters can go home with a clear conscience that they aren't criminals. OTOH the police as stated earlier in this thread are either thugs or deliberately silence on thugish behavior to a degree the protesters aren't. Out on the streets it isn't wise or even possible for protestors to stop criminals taking advantage of the chaos. Officers can stop each others bad behavior and/or report it they have the tools to do both. Most choose to not to do so in order to protect themselves. That's a big difference to me.

Esper on Trump church photo-op: I thought we were going to 'talk to the troops'

Defense Secretary Mark Esper says he was given no notice before President Donald Trump led him and other senior administration officials to St. John's Episcopal Church for a widely criticized photo opportunity.

"I thought I was going to do two things: to see some damage and to talk to the troops," Esper said Tuesday night in an exclusive interview with NBC News.

Esper said he believed they were going to observe the vandalized bathroom in Lafayette Square, which is near the church.

"I didn't know where I was going," Esper said. "I wanted to see how much damage actually happened."

A Pentagon spokesman later told NBC News that Esper was aware the church was one of the locations where he would be viewing damage. The spokesman reiterated that Esper didn't know the president was going to use it as a photo opportunity.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

With about a quarter of the vote in, results are not looking good for Steve King in his House primary.

He is currently down seven points.

Nate Cohn of the Times looks at where the votes are coming from.
    Steve King's (R-IA04) reelection chances are in jeopardy right now, as he trails a GOP primary challenger by 8 points so far. His hope, at this point, is that the early vote is unrepresentative. And that's his only hope, as many relatively weak areas for him are outstanding.
    I could conjure up a case that the early vote is unrepresentative. His best county right now--Hancock--is one of just two that's at 100% counted. But that's his main source of hope as far as I'm concerned
    We now have several more counties ticking up to 100% in IA-4 and, although I'd argue they're a little better for King than the early vote, they're nowhere near enough
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    With about a quarter of the vote in, results are not looking good for Steve King in his House primary.

He is currently down seven points.

Nate Cohn of the Times looks at where the votes are coming from.
    His resignation should have been forced years ago.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.