Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    It really will be amazing to watch the same people who had no problem with Trump's constant golf outings whine about even the smallest Presidential trips that Biden takes on Air Force One.
    Judicial Watch spent all four years of Trump's presidency crying about Obama's vacation spending, so they'll just ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    For a Qpublican to publicly say one of his fellows **** the bed must mean there's meat on the bone of the accusation against Gaetz. Normally, GQPers circle the wagons and call such charges lies, if McCarthy's strayed from standard operating procedure, then Matty Perv must be in trouble that can't be glossed over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I don't think there is a more punchable looking face in Congress, and that includes Fled Cruz. Unless Martin Skreli gets called to testify again, the Gaetzlighter will be the King.

Cruz and McQuisling are likely deserving of more scorn, but Gaetz just has the look of someone who should have that grin knocked of his face with a 5 finger attitude adjustment.
    Gaetzlighter is a pretty solid nickname, but one of the best one I saw as "PizzaGaetz", because now we actually have a politician in a sex trafficking operation. Although, it isn't in a basement pizzeria...
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Gaetzlighter is a pretty solid nickname, but one of the best one I saw as "PizzaGaetz", because now we actually have a politician in a sex trafficking operation. Although, it isn't in a basement pizzeria...
    Yeah, "Gaetzlighter" is plenty awesome! Meanwhile....

Fox News Furiously Backpedals From Matt Gaetz: ‘No Interest In Hiring Him’

The Florida congressman, who is reportedly under federal investigation, said he was in talks with the network and other conservative media outlets. When Faux News says no thanks, you just KNOW you're radioactive!
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 04-01-2021 at 01:52 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

CAN'T MAKE THIS UP: With 45 minutes left in the legislative session, Ga. Republicans are considering adding a bill to tax Delta in retaliation for company speaking out today against the voter suppression bill.

----

Opinion: Explaining Delta’s and Coca-Cola’s belated support for democracy

In a 180-degree about-face, Delta Air Lines decided that, on second thought, suppressing the vote in Georgia is a bad idea.

Axios reports: “Delta Air Lines CEO Ed Bastian condemned Georgia’s new election law as ‘unacceptable’ in a memo circulated to staff on Wednesday, claiming that the ‘entire rationale for this bill was based on a lie’ about widespread voter fraud in 2020.” Less than a week ago, Bastian had declared that the bill “improved considerably during the legislative process.”

It is ironic that at a time when taxpayers are sending billions to airlines and other companies to sustain them through the recession, so few businesses pay heed to the obligations of corporate citizenship. (They are more than willing to take subsidized loans from taxpayers, but ask them to increase corporate taxes to pay for infrastructure that benefits all Americans — companies included — and many of them throw a fit.)
    How did giant corporations — especially those that have been so attuned to issues such as last summer’s Black Lives Matter protests, LGBTQ rights and climate change — get this so wrong? One explanation is the lack of diversity at the heads of major companies. There are four African American CEOs among the Fortune 500. No wonder they “missed” this.

And it is not, of course, simply a lack of diversity among CEOs. The upper ranks of management overall remain astoundingly homogeneous. USA Today reported in 2020 that of the 279 top executive-level positions listed in proxy statements for the top 50 biggest companies, only five were Black. “Business and diversity scholars say the executive suite is still one of America’s most exclusive and impenetrable clubs, with the corporate hierarchy most closely resembling a plantation: Heavily white at the top,” USA Today found.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Demonic Origins Aside, Checks Please Biden’s Evangelical Critics

Evangelical Christians and small-government activists, among the fiercest critics of President Joe Biden and the Democratic Congress, are finding solace in $1,400 stimulus checks that some are sharing with churches and political causes.

In a January Bible study livestream, Virginia pastor E.W. Jackson said a pair of Georgians headed for the U.S. Senate were “demoniacally possessed” and their fellow Democrats were “cursing” the country by supporting abortion access and gay rights. Newly minted senators Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff were key to Biden’s $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan, which passed the evenly divided Senate with no Republican support.

But as the stimulus checks they enabled arrive, Jackson, said his followers should have no qualms about accepting the Democrats’ largess -- and passing 10% to his ministry, the 100-member Called Church of Chesapeake.
    Not much objection to the checks has circulated among members of the First Baptist Church of Dallas, according to pastor Robert Jeffress, who has called the Democratic Party “godless,” and in January told Fox Corp. television host Lou Dobbs that the Biden administration was pushing “a hard-left agenda down the throats of Americans.”

“If someone feels guilty, give it to a homeless site, food bank, church,” said Jeffress, 65, a member of then-President Donald Trump’s Evangelical Advisory Board. “Remember, this money isn’t coming out of Joe Biden’s wallet or a Democratic checking account.”
    Libertarian View

Both the Trump and Biden administrations bungled the stimulus, argued Joe Bishop-Henchman, national chairman of the Libertarian Party, which espouses minimal government and considers the debt among the most serious threats to U.S. security and stability.

“With all the disruption from the virus, incompetent government response and shutdowns, relief was absolutely needed,” Bishop-Henchman, who also is a vice president of the National Taxpayers Union, wrote in an email. “However, what Congress passed was poorly targeted and leaves an enormous debt burden for the next generation.”

Some Libertarian Party members say they will nevertheless spend their $1,400 checks, which total $400 billion. They are going to individuals with less than $75,000 in adjusted gross income.

“I have accepted and used the stimulus checks sent to me, as I consider them to be a return of some of the tax money I’ve had to pay to the federal government,” Diona Kozma, a real-estate agent who is vice chairwoman of the Broward County, Florida, Libertarian Party, wrote in an email.

The Strange Saga of Matt Gaetz, or How Not to Handle a Crisis

Since the scandal broke, Gaetz has done almost everything a crisis-communications firm would tell you not to. He did an interview on the Tucker Carlson show that Carlson later called “one of the weirdest interviews I’ve ever conducted.” Gaetz used the interview to try to drag Carlson into it by alleging “I’m not the only person onscreen right now who’s been falsely accused of a terrible sex act. You were accused of something you did not do, so you know what this feels like.” Carlson responded, perhaps not thrilled by the comparison, “You just referred to a mentally ill viewer who accused me of a sex crime 20 years ago. And of course, it was not true. I never met the person.” Later Gaetz tried again to drag the anchor into the story again: “You and I went to dinner about two years ago, your wife was there, and I brought a friend of mine, you’ll remember her.” Carlson was not pleased.
    During that same interview, Gaetz said that his family was being extorted by former federal prosecutor David McGee. McGee immediately told The Washington Post, “It is completely false. It’s a blatant attempt to distract from the fact that he’s under investigation for sex trafficking of minors. I have no connection with that case at all.”

Gaetz also tweeted out the strange and incoherent other story about how his father was wearing a wire for an FBI investigation.
    Later on last night, Gaetz told Axios, “I was not a target but a subject of an investigation regarding sexual conduct with women.” He acknowledged that in his “single days” he had “provided for women” he dated, including paying for flights and hotel rooms. “I’ve been, you know, generous as a partner,” he said. “I think someone is trying to make that look criminal when it is not.”

I love the last part on being a generous as a partner. That is man code for I am paying hookers.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I understand that. I never debated he is a pos.

I guess for me it is a personal experience. There was a guy in my prison that was convicted of a crime against a child. Every one made his life hell. he was attacked, stolen from, verbally asulted by people. including me. it was my first year in prison and I did not want to stand out or make it look like I was on his side. he was in prison for three years before I got there and 1 year after. Turns out he was innocent. He was released. So now I try and hear the evidence before I jump on the throw them in jail band wagon.
    A weird way of looking at this is that terrible people are more likely to be wrongly accused.

For example, I'm sure there are more false allegations of sexual assault against Bill Clinton than against Jimmy Carter because crackpots know that an allegation against Carter isn't as plausible as one against Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I agree, however, the character of the person in question, as well as their public past behavior, tends to work for or against the person in question. How many other members of congress have been arrested [his DUI]? How many voted against a bill relating to sex trafficking [he was the only one]?

I will reserve judgment until all the facts come out, but it would not surprise me if the facts prove that he is guilty.
    There is a distinction between not being surprising if the facts demonstrate guilt, and taking it for granted that the facts will demonstrate guilt.

I think everyone here wouldn't be surprised if he's guilty, especially given his weird behavior. The main argument has been about whether we should reserve judgement at all.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

https://thehub.dallasisd.org/2021/03...ry-committees/

The Dallas ISD Board of Trustees unanimously approved renaming three schools with namesakes tied to the Confederacy.

The new school names are:

John Ireland Elementary School will become Sylvia Mendez Collaborative Relationships Through Expeditionary Work (CREW) Leadership Academy. Mendez is a civil rights activist who played a significant role in the landmark desegregation case of 1946.
    http://sylviamendezschool.org/who-is-sylvia-mendez

Sidney Lanier Expressive Arts Vanguard will become the Jesus Moroles Expressive Arts Vanguard. Moroles was a former Dallas ISD student who became a renowned Texas artist known for his large-scale granite sculptures.
    https://americanart.si.edu/artist/jesus-moroles-5827

John H. Reagan Elementary School will become the Bishop Arts STEAM Academy.
    This would be the second school named after Mendez.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    A weird way of looking at this is that terrible people are more likely to be wrongly accused.

For example, I'm sure there are more false allegations of sexual assault against Bill Clinton than against Jimmy Carter because crackpots know that an allegation against Carter isn't as plausible as one against Bill.
    I have doubts that this is a false accusation, or at least should say I wouldnt be shocked if it were true. But he does deserve the same legal process that everyone gets despite him being a POS.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I love the last part on being a generous as a partner. That is man code for I am paying hookers.
    Heh, I didn't catch that the first time.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Man wouldn't it be awesome if Jimmy Carter was the 2020 Democrat nominee, to make good on his second term.

There is a distinction between not being surprising if the facts demonstrate guilt, and taking it for granted that the facts will demonstrate guilt.

I think everyone here wouldn't be surprised if he's guilty, especially given his weird behavior. The main argument has been about whether we should reserve judgement at all.
    Public Opinion will run with this both ways, he'll have his supporters, he'll have his detractors, and he'll have his Late Night Talk Show Humorists. The public rarely has a say in something like this, though occasionally protestors might have some minor influence. It might even influence voters, should he decide to run again which I heard he's not likely to do. The only ones who Gaetz needs to worry about are Kevin McCarthy, Nancy Pelosi, and anyone else in Congress who might push him out of his Committees and depower him. I doubt they can actually kick him out, well, maybe there is a way but if so It's rarely used.

He'll still have to face the DOJ, FBI, and any other authorities that are looking into these potential charges as he keeps digging himself into a deeper hole.

If you want to compare him to what happened to Al Franken, it wasn't public opinion that forced him out of office before the investigation was completed, it was Kirsten Gillibrand's vendetta and the willingness of other Democratic members of Congress to go along with her. Something a number of Senators have openly stated that they regret in hindsight.

However, I do agree that the public can get into a very ugly mood very fast and without all the evidence. I'm not happy about it, I agree that people should respect the basic tenant of the law that states that everyone is innocent until proven guilty. However, I would also say that anyone who gets into trouble needs to first, get a good lawyer, second, follow that's lawyers advice, third, don't make the situation worse by giving bizarre interviews to Tucker Carlson on Fox, and third, don't do anything after the fact that would only make more trouble or make the situation worse.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    That 60% approval? It's early. Wait a couple years and see what the approval is after eliminating coal miner jobs for wind powered solar panels.
    Your guy Trump never had an approval over the high 40s%. He never had a higher approval than disapproval. Jealous much?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Public Opinion will run with this both ways, he'll have his supporters, he'll have his detractors, and he'll have his Late Night Talk Show Humorists. The public rarely has a say in something like this, though occasionally protestors might have some minor influence. It might even influence voters, should he decide to run again which I heard he's not likely to do. The only ones who Gaetz needs to worry about are Kevin McCarthy, Nancy Pelosi, and anyone else in Congress who might push him out of his Committees and depower him. I doubt they can actually kick him out, well, maybe there is a way but if so It's rarely used.

He'll still have to face the DOJ, FBI, and any other authorities that are looking into these potential charges as he keeps digging himself into a deeper hole.

If you want to compare him to what happened to Al Franken, it wasn't public opinion that forced him out of office before the investigation was completed, it was Kirsten Gillibrand's vendetta and the willingness of other Democratic members of Congress to go along with her. Something a number of Senators have openly stated that they regret in hindsight.

However, I do agree that the public can get into a very ugly mood very fast and without all the evidence. I'm not happy about it, I agree that people should respect the basic tenant of the law that states that everyone is innocent until proven guilty. However, I would also say that anyone who gets into trouble needs to first, get a good lawyer, second, follow that's lawyers advice, third, don't make the situation worse by giving bizarre interviews to Tucker Carlson on Fox, and third, don't do anything after the fact that would only make more trouble or make the situation worse.
    The court of public opinion is a different question. If a majority of the public thought it was okay, that doesn't make it right. If the public is wrong, it doesn't mean individuals here, who are better informed and have time to go through the facts, should be wrong. It's also possible the majority of the public will never even know Gaetz's name.

It is really hard to remove a member of Congress, although that could happen if a criminal prosecution appears likely. Usually, politicians sense the political winds against them and resign before that happens, though Gaetz doesn't seem like the type of guy who would take a personal hit for the party.

Gaetz does not appear to be a diligent congressman who cares deeply about the people of his district. It seems like he would be acting the same way if he came from a red district in Texas, Tennessee, Arizona or Nebraska, given how much he focuses on national issues as opposed to anything local. He probably sees Congress as a bully pulpit, and an opportunity for a career elsewhere as a blowhard.

There are some differences between Franken and Gaetz. What Gaetz is accused of doing is worse. On the other hand, Franken had multiple accusers, who were ready to tell their stories (Gaetz is in a different level of trouble if anyone agrees to interviews corroborating the investigation.) It was also around the time an idiot Republican in a close Senate race was accused of wrongdoing, so the Democrats had incentives to push out Franken. It fit their messaging.

The Republican party doesn't care what happens to Gaetz, which is why McCarthy could say that if Gaetz is guilty, there's no place for him in Congress. If credible allegations come out, he's covered. If nothing comes out, they can say it was a left-wing/ deep state smear.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets