Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Maybe it's never okay to mock someone's natural looks,
    No, no. Let's try that again. It's NEVER okay to mock someone's natural looks. Period. End of. Get this 'maybe' out of your head, because it's never okay. EVER.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    but I'm going to disagree with you when it comes to the looks one chooses to have, whether it's an outlandish hairdo, garish make-up (as it is in this case) or loud mismatched clothing. When you make yourself up like that, you are screaming for attention, so you should accept that some of that attention is going to be negative or mocking.
    Those are two very different thought processes. I agree, that when someone dresses a certain way, outlandish, out-there... they are going to get criticized. That doesn't mean those who criticize gets a free pass. Those are two very separate issues. ALL people in the public eye have to accept people will be jerks to them, about their looks, their gender, sexuality, race. That doesn't mean we 'approve' of those people... they're still jerks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    There's a long history of men going after women like that so I try to advise restraint for anything that smacks of it, even if it feels earned.
    I, like most (I hope) was disgusted seeing Trump mimic a handicapped reporter during one of his speeches. And he's certainly gone after a woman's physical appearance before. By and large, my thought process is this: let's be better than Trump. Let's aim above that low, low, LOW bar of self humanity. It's not a huge ask.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    To be honest, I thought Kissinger kicked the bucket years ago. But, yeah, he's still around, ditto for John Dean, Nixon's White House Counsel.
    I'm gonna have to throw my hat in the ring here too... I ALSO thought he was dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Now see the key word here is "separatism". We do no joke around with that here. Basques, Corsican, Catalans, Breton and so many more, we have lot of very strong local identities here and it took a lot of time and effort to develop a sens of national identity. I mean, not even 150 years ago French wasn't actually even spoken everywhere in the country. Most areas outside of Paris had their own languages. My own grand parents spoke more often in Occitan than in French.
    Okay, I'm very ignorant here... but... that's a race in Skyrim??? No?
    #insertignorantBritishperson (apologies)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Ideally the people planning campaign rallies would not be informed about justice department investigations.
    Well... if it was a rally FOR BAKING... I think that's a fair point. But it was a political rally, no?
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Bretons are native to Brittany, and have linguistic ties to Cornwall and, more distantly, Wales. They are considered the 6th Celtic nation.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Bretons are native to Brittany, and have linguistic ties to Cornwall and, more distantly, Wales. They are considered the 6th Celtic nation.
    Ohhhhhh! Thank-you, I did not know that. Very cool.
    #themoreyouknow

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Well... if it was a rally FOR BAKING... I think that's a fair point. But it was a political rally, no?
    I still wouldnt want political figures or event organizers aware of Justice department investigations. The only people who should know are law enforcement, and the victim of the crime. No one else should be made aware until it is needed. Not the press, not politicians who could use clout and sway, not event organizers, no one. And the people who do know about do not need to say anything until they need to. i very much agree with the statement I will not comment on on going investigations by law enforcement.

We have seen too many rich and powerful people get out of things. Why give them a heads up by telling people there is an investigation and what they have on the person.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

CNN has reporting that Matt Gaetz showed naked pictures of chicks he banged to lawmakers.

If not for the story about the investigation coming out, this would normally be dismissed as a nothing-burger thing but...where there is smoke there is fire as they say.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 04-01-2021 at 04:33 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    CNN has reporting that Matt Gaetz showed naked pictures of chicks he banged to lawmakers.

If not for the story about the investigation coming out, this would normally be dismissed as a nothing-burger thing but...where there is smoke there is fire as they say.
    It just keeps getting worse for that guy. I mean I wonder where the bottom is, and if Gaetz will try and pinch it.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I still wouldnt want political figures or event organizers aware of Justice department investigations. The only people who should know are law enforcement, and the victim of the crime. No one else should be made aware until it is needed. Not the press, not politicians who could use clout and sway, not event organizers, no one. And the people who do know about do not need to say anything until they need to. i very much agree with the statement I will not comment on on going investigations by law enforcement.
    But that's two different thoughts. "SHOULD THEY..." be aware and "ARE THEY..." aware. The fact is people organising political rallies ARE aware, it's their job to be aware, it's their job to be one-step ahead of the story and predict things that could cause problems before, during, or after the rally... whether it should be or not. So let's not pretend someone involved in a high level organising that rally was UNAWARE (whether they should be, or not).

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    But that's two different thoughts. "SHOULD THEY..." be aware and "ARE THEY..." aware. The fact is people organising political rallies ARE aware, it's their job to be aware, it's their job to be one-step ahead of the story and predict things that could cause problems before, during, or after the rally... whether it should be or not. So let's not pretend someone involved in a high level organising that rally was UNAWARE (whether they should be, or not).
    I will agree with this that most of the time they are aware and it was a bad take if they were to have him there. If they were not aware then I cant fault them for having a speaker of the same party at their rally. Once it became clear they should have said something.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    It just keeps getting worse for that guy. I mean I wonder where the bottom is, and if Gaetz will try and pinch it.
    He always hit me as being something like Cruz.

No Republican holding Congressional office is going to so much as lose a step if either of them take a fall.

...the Gaetz stuff got even wilder.

https://twitter.com/BriannaWu/status...28298721828866

Brianna Wu's thread is a good summary here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    ...the Gaetz stuff got even wilder.

https://twitter.com/BriannaWu/status...28298721828866

Brianna Wu's thread is a good summary here.
    Rachel Maddow has been covering it in the same or greater detail.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Rachel Maddow has been covering it in the same or greater detail.
    It's lunacy. Also, poor Matt Gertz on twitter.

These Kentucky artists are ridding the world of hate, one tattoo at a time

(CNN)The recent attacks on Asian Americans are the latest reminder that prejudice and bigotry remain a serious problem in the United States.
    But during the past year, many people have also decided to abandon symbols of hate by reaching out to two tattoo artists in Kentucky.

Last June, CNN reported that Ryun King and Jeremiah Swift were offering to cover up hate or gang-related tattoos for free. At the time, their newly-launched effort at the Gallery X Art Collective, a tattoo studio in Murray, had received about 30 requests.

Today, King estimates they've received several hundred inquiries from far beyond Kentucky.

"It's every part of the country that's contacted me -- from New York to California. Literally. And people internationally," King said. "Ireland, Canada, Korea. ... I even had a girl call me from South Africa."

Their 'Cover the Hate' campaign was inspired by the racial justice protests that swept the globe last May after the killing of George Floyd.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

I live right on the boarder with Kentucky and heard about this awhile ago. I think its great. There is also another group of artists (Near lexington I think) that cover up prison tattoos and stuff.