Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...?ocid=msedgdhp

The situation ended with nobody getting hurt and the guy seemed reasonable. But I couldn't help but think he should be glad he wasn't black because he might have been shot dead.
    "Might have been shot dead"? Oh, I have no doubt that lunkhead would've been killed if he had been black, and everybody knows it too.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    ...That doesn't seem messier at all, the comment from the other bye-stander was 100% correct: she was just a kid, so the officer absolutely didn't need to shoot her in order to deescalate the situation.

And four shots?

In a crowded area?

That's definitely not a good decision, and goes against any basic training on fire arms.
    Once again, training horribly failed in this instance. There was ZERO reason lethal force had to be the first option, if not the only option.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I don't mind admitting I was one of those people who had been surprised at the outcome. I had heard legal experts say that if a verdict was reached early, say like after two or three days, it mean a consensus had been quickly reached on the counts. But, the longer the deliberations went on, the more likely the jury couldn't reach that consensus.
    The prosecution was exceptionally strong and had all their basis covered and the defense was reduced to trying to say the crowd made Chauvin nervous and that maybe he miracoulsly died of something else at the exact same time, which was preposterous. But they found a verdict in a reasonable time.

"Might have been shot dead"? Oh, I have no doubt that lunkhead would've been killed if he had been black, and everybody knows it too.

Once again, training horribly failed in this instance. There was ZERO reason lethal force had to be the first option, if not the only option.
    I've referred to it as Cop Math. The equation is, tragically for far too many, Black + Gun = Kill.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    And because of course this happened today around the same time the verdict was being read, a 15 year old black girl in Ohio called the police because she was being attacked. She was holding a knife because she was having to defend herself. So of course the police rolled on up and immediately shot and killed her.

I worried that with the news of the verdict and everyone covering it that this story will be lost in the shuffle. I have really heard nothing about the shooting other then like a 30 second blrub. More of a Oh yea this also happened type thing.

Ive heard more about it on my local news then national news.

The body camera show the girl who was shot going after another girl yes. But the police did not need to shoot a 15 year old girl. But it is not as clear cut as Floyd's death.
    Last edited by babyblob; 04-21-2021 at 06:08 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I can understand why there is the reaction that there is, and I support that. I can understand why the news is covering it as it is, and I support that. But, personally, I'm just tired. It feels like the violence never ends, and that the celebration over having one person convicted of the violence isn't going to be enough to stop it.

I'm tired knowing that, a month from now, a year from now, there will be more trials, more shootings, more unnecessary and illogical deaths.

We just spent the last 12 months watching people die from COVID. over 500,000 people so far and the number keeps climbing.

We watch a violent insurrection at the Capital

We saw videos and reports of numerous people being attacked and/or killed by the police for dumb things like jaywalking or having an imperfect car

We watched news reports of mass shootings all over the country

It just makes me want to bitch-slap someone who has the ability to stop this from happening but won't for the dumbest of reasons.

I'm just tired.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I worried that with the news of the verdict and everyone covering it that this story will be lost in the shuffle. I have really heard nothing about the shooting other then like a 30 second blrub. More of a Oh yea this also happened type thing.

Ive heard more about it on my local news then national news.

The body camera show the girl who was shot going after another girl yes. But the police did not need to shoot a 15 year old girl. But it is not as clear cut as Floyd's death.
    I also saw the video on my local news this morning. Again, the training failed with a vengeance. Why not use a taser? Why not use pepper spray? Why did the officer fire his weapon when his life wasn't in danger? Would the outcome have been different if that girl were white?

I also saw the video on my local news this morning. Again, the training failed with a vengeance. Why not use a taser? Why not use pepper spray? Why did the officer fire his weapon when his life wasn't in danger? Would the outcome have been different if that girl were white?
    984 people have been shot and killed by police in the past year

Blacks and Hispanics are statistically more likely to be shot by a Police Officer than White or other ethnic/racial groups.

White people do get killed by police, and that should make White people more sympathetic to the plight of others. Some White people do understand this and are also advocating for police reforms.

Other White people are buying guns and joining militias in order to fight the police as if they were at war.

In the end, if there isn't some kind of police reform, it will turn into a war, where some more radical groups will try to fight fire with fire.

I agree the training failed. I am not defending the officer at all. A taser would have been a better option yes. I am sure there were other ways to handle this. But people who are chomping at the bit for charges or at least a murder charge here I think are going to be angry when they do not happen.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    [URL="https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/investigations/police-shootings-database/"]

In the end, if there isn't some kind of police reform, it will turn into a war, where some more radical groups will try to fight fire with fire.
    THere needs to be reform in a huge way. But sadly there are many who are holding it up. And if reform does happen, a big if right now, it is going to take a very long time to weed out the bad cops, punish those who go beyond what is called for and getting people to trust the police again.

This problem with out of control police is not something I am going to see a solution to in my life time and I am 40 years old. it makes me sad to say but this problem is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.

Convicting Chauvin was a good step. but there is still all the appeals that will be filed, the sentencing phase, It will be a long time before this is over with him. And that is not counting the female cop who shot Daunte Wright and the other three cops in the Floyd case have yet to go on trial. We have to see how that plays out.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    984 people have been shot and killed by police in the past year

Blacks and Hispanics are statistically more likely to be shot by a Police Officer than White or other ethnic/racial groups.

White people do get killed by police, and that should make White people more sympathetic to the plight of others. Some White people do understand this and are also advocating for police reforms.

Other White people are buying guns and joining militias in order to fight the police as if they were at war.

You would think that.

And in some of those case the cops acted way more violently to the white person than the black one.

One story-white guy refused to show id to the cop and was either live streaming or video taping it. That he knew his rights and everything. Real Rick with a P.

The cop took his baton and calmly BROKE the driver side window and DRUG the guy through the window out of his car. On one of the most dangerous highways we have in the city.

Nobody took issue with what the cop did.

Second story-white guy who was on medication and wondering around near SMU-he actually lived in that area. Someone called the cops and he ended up dead. Nobody took issue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You would think that.

And in some of those case the cops acted way more violently to the white person than the black one.

One story-white guy refused to show id to the cop and was either live streaming or video taping it. That he knew his rights and everything. Real Rick with a P.

The cop took his baton and calmly BROKE the driver side window and DRUG the guy through the window out of his car. On one of the most dangerous highways we have in the city.

Nobody took issue with what the cop did.

Second story-white guy who was on medication and wondering around near SMU-he actually lived in that area. Someone called the cops and he ended up dead. Nobody took issue with it.
    A person of color, such as myself, would look at those incidents as exceptions, outliers. For black people, our perceptions are considerably different because we feel like we have bullseyes on our backs, and for cops, be they rogues, bigots or just poorly trained and likely to shoot first then ask questions later, there's no bag limit.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    This case seems messier than the initial reaction on social media.

https://tinyurl.com/umudmm7d

Bodycam footage showed that the girl had a knife, was charging at someone else who was pinned against a car.

Hmm- Associated Press links are censored, so I had to make a tiny url.
    Was it as "messy" as what Dylan Roof did before the police arrested him alive and well?

He fired his weapon because the other chicks life was in danger.

If the taser wasn't effective (they don't always put down people), and that other chick gets stabbed... what then? People would be yelling at the cop for not protecting her.

You don't get to charge a person with a deadly weapon in front of police. Not every cop death is a george floyd or Tamir or Gardner situation.

Need to save this "energy" and time on people who... don't charge people with deadly weapons. Otherwise, this will all become white noise.

Was it as "messy" as what Dylan Roof did before the police arrested him alive and well?
    100%. Roof didn't have a weapon in his hand when he was caught.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I agree the training failed. I am not defending the officer at all. A taser would have been a better option yes. I am sure there were other ways to handle this. But people who are chomping at the bit for charges or at least a murder charge here I think are going to be angry when they do not happen.
    The talk about training brought back a memory from my experience going through Army Basic training. We had learned how to assemble and dissemble our M16 rifles and now we were taken to our first time at the shooting range. Before we got to fire the weapons, we sat on bleachers and were given verbal instructions on the basics. While this was happening, I let my unloaded M16 slip from my hands and I reflexively exclaimed "Shoot" as I picked it back up [use of curse words was not approved of in my family].

The Instructor heard me and responded with something like, "No, don't shoot."

It was slightly funny, but the point was made not to shoot reflexively.

Police need to be better trained to do their jobs without shooting as often as possible.