Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    I do, I really do want to get my hopes up.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Same here. It's hard not to have doubts this will go anywhere. I guess we'll just have wait and see what happens.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Since nobody else remarked on this, I'll have a go. Thanks for bringing it up, I was following the news on this story yesterday. It's crazy and scary. Pulling a bullshit lie about Hamas having a bomb on the plane...is the EU really going to step up, though? I mean Putin was letting Navalny starve to death in a dungeon recently and nobody else did much that didn't just amount to "thoughts and prayers."
    Part of the problem is that the rest of Europe disregards much of what Belarus does on account that they view Belarus as the inbred, slow-witted, constantly drooling member of Europe since they're the only nation on the continent that still acts like it's the 1980s and wants the Soviet Union to come back in the worst way, which allows Lukashenko to do whatever he wants.

But, when you see actions like this coming from Lukashenko directly, and on account of decades of bad behavior, the European Union can't just go "We'll impose sanctions, even though we barely recognize you exist to begin with." They need to do direct actions to hurt his regime for once, ignoring how Russia feels, cause what does Russia gain from Belarus? Alexander Lukashenko only wants Belarus to be Russia's bitch in a parasitic relationship that does not help the citizens of that country but rather him and his party's security, but even there comes a time where Russia decides it's not worth it anymore.

John Cena apologized for referring to Taiwan as a country as part of his promotion for the latest Fast and Furious film.

Actor and WWE star John Cena has apologized to China after referring to Taiwan as a country in a recent interview.

Cena is currently on a promotional tour for Fast & Furious 9, which led to him giving an interview to Taiwanese broadcaster TVBS. “Taiwan is the first country that can watch F9,” Cena said in the interview, according to CNN.

The comments from Cena sparked an uproar in China since even though Taiwan is a self-governed, democratic island nation, China claims that Taiwan is actually part of their territory. The matter of Taiwan’s sovereignty has been a thorny political issue for decades, but China has taken increased measures in recent years to pressure Taiwan and have the international community recognize their suzerain claim over it.

This week, Cena released a video on the Chinese social media platform Weibo, speaking in Mandarin as he said that he “made a mistake” by calling Taiwan a country.

“I must say now that, very very very importantly, I love and respect China and Chinese people,” Cena said according to multiple translations of his remarks. “I’m very, very sorry about my mistake. I apologize, I’m very sorry. You must understand that I really love, really respect China and the Chinese people. My apologies. See you.”
    I've actually never seen a Fast & Furious film. Are these worthwhile?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I've actually never seen a Fast & Furious film. Are these worthwhile?
    You want to see a franchise back catalog after seeing an American actor bend over to corporate-diplomatic pressure?

That's an odd way to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Same here. It's hard not to have doubts this will go anywhere. I guess we'll just have wait and see what happens.
    Was talking about it with my husband and we both concurred that, even if Trump gets convicted, his lawyers will appeal this all the way up to the Supreme Court. Though that could take years and, who knows, by then the Supreme Court will be majority liberal.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Mighty Member

https://www.cbr.com/f9-john-cena-taiwan-china-apology/

John Cena should not be kowtowing to China. Taiwan is a country. So basically, throw away support for human rights and independence in favor of more box office take. Sure.... makes sense. Riiiight

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    Part of the problem is that the rest of Europe disregards much of what Belarus does on account that they view Belarus as the inbred, slow-witted, constantly drooling member of Europe since they're the only nation on the continent that still acts like it's the 1980s and wants the Soviet Union to come back in the worst way, which allows Lukashenko to do whatever he wants.

But, when you see actions like this coming from Lukashenko directly, and on account of decades of bad behavior, the European Union can't just go "We'll impose sanctions, even though we barely recognize you exist to begin with." They need to do direct actions to hurt his regime for once, ignoring how Russia feels, cause what does Russia gain from Belarus? Alexander Lukashenko only wants Belarus to be Russia's bitch in a parasitic relationship that does not help the citizens of that country but rather him and his party's security, but even there comes a time where Russia decides it's not worth it anymore.
    In response to this, the United States should deny Belarus dollar clearing in banks, assuming the European Union is on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    You want to see a franchise back catalog after seeing an American actor bend over to corporate-diplomatic pressure?

It does not make me more interested in the franchise to be honest. I just figured it was a non-controversial question to ask.

This was a major story that had not come up on the board.

I would say that I fully and unambiguously support Taiwan's right to self-determination, and prefer that to be the policy of all American government officials.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 05-25-2021 at 05:59 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Nah, nah, let's humor him.

Uh... I like to divide Fast & Furious into two distinct eras; "driving" movies and DRIVING Movies. The first three films tend to be ignored altogether (especially 2 Fast, 2 Furious) as they focus more on general driving with some sort of plot weaved in, although Tokyo Drift does feature a lot of "Initial D" style drifting, where the objective is to coast with your vehicle via oversteering. After the fourth film, the series goes into the big budget Hollywood stuff that features lots of explosions and illogical moments that do not make sense, but have made the franchise what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    https://www.cbr.com/f9-john-cena-taiwan-china-apology/

John Cena should not be kowtowing to China. Taiwan is a country. So basically, throw away support for human rights and independence in favor of more box office take. Sure.... makes sense. Riiiight
    This... is not new. John Cena served as an ambassador to China for WWE when they signed their "first" Chinese-born wrestler (which wasn't true, since there was another wrestler they signed a few years prior that officially holds that distinction), Tian Bing. I should note, Tian Bing would do nothing in WWE besides wrestle at a Chinese house show that got aired on the WWE Network, appear in one Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal, and get released after an appearance on NXT after his last appearance on that show was two years prior. But, that's not the point.

The point was that John Cena has a habit of placating the Chinese cause he is corporate. He learned Mandarin for a reason besides appealing to a large population. He was essentially beloved by WWE for his willingness to follow the line most of the time and speak what was needed as opposed to guys like Daniel Bryan and CM Punk (and especially someone stuck in the midcard like Sami Zayn) who had to be reigned in from time to time for having a more outspoken (i.e. not conservative) worldview, and Hollywood companies want that, cause contrary to what right-wing chuckleheads claim, much of Hollywood is filled with conservatives that want that money and will do whatever it takes, which means having their cake and eating it. They want us to hate China because they're different or they're Commies or they commit blatant human atrocities but they also want all the money China has to offer, and we've seen endless times that when given a choice, executives will choose the money over taking a stand.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Was talking about it with my husband and we both concurred that, even if Trump gets convicted, his lawyers will appeal this all the way up to the Supreme Court. Though that could take years and, who knows, by then the Supreme Court will be majority liberal.
    Short of a terrorist attack taking out half of the Court, it will likely be decades before the Court is majority liberal. Most of them are relatively young and most of them are conservative. 6 of 9. The oldest is a liberal. Two conservatives in their 70s, but that still means potentially a decade, maybe 2? Trump will be dead before that happens.

As to the Jan. 6th commission, I honestly would rather they not have a Congressional commission. Let traditional law enforcement/FBI do their jobs. I intensely dislike Congressional hearings about major events because they are, for the most part, an excuse for political grandstanding and attempts at soundbites that usually fall flat. They're great for fundraising, but usually just distract from getting real work done and bills passed. They also allow some people to feel like they're doing something when they're not, again aside from grandstanding. It's a lose-lose.

It will change nobody's mind about what happened, it will bring us no closer to rounding up or prosecuting these people (again, that's the FBI's job), it is only political theater. We have too many other things to do that it is Congress' job to handle to allow them to be distracted.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    ...Hollywood companies want that, cause contrary to what right-wing chuckleheads claim, much of Hollywood is filled with conservatives...
    One of the stories that got buried in 2020 was that while CA was heavily Democratic, as was LA. The one county in LA that went heavily for Trump was...Rodeo Drive where a lot of the rich Hollywood producers and others live.

The idea that Hollywood was somehow liberal was always laughable. I mean just taking a look at the guy who is President of Marvel ought to disabuse people of that idea.

They want us to hate China because they're different or they're Commies or they commit blatant human atrocities but they also want all the money China has to offer, and we've seen endless times that when given a choice, executives will choose the money over taking a stand.
    True.

I mean China is right now basically planning an invasion of Taiwan and essentially the whole erosion of democracy in Hong Kong is essentially a staging area for them capturing Taiwan, because if China can incorporate HK (which was never really a democracy, more a city-oligarchy with some civil liberties and rights) and paper over some dissidents, and murder some pesky kids who want the whole liberty thing, then that gives them some idea how to incorporate Taiwan (which is a full multi-party democracy) which would be harder.

I actually wish Biden was a lot more firmer with Taiwan, like actually recognizing Taiwan or setting up an artificial island there and claiming a naval base there, or something. Because I don't think losing the only successful democracy in the South China Sea is good on any level (economic/diplomatic/political/moral).

Obviously America being a supporter of democracy is a horrible joke when you consider its list of client dictatorships (past and present) but if it's not going to defend some of the few democracies it has left (which is the main reason why I think America should support Israel because it's a successful democracy, warts and all and boy are there warts...) and the main success story that shows the Chinese people that democracy can work and create a viable economy and culture without oppressing its citizens, then it's basically saying that America doesn't really believe in democracy or they think democracy is just for white people.

One of the stories that got buried in 2020 was that while CA was heavily Democratic, as was LA. The one county in LA that went heavily for Trump was...Rodeo Drive where a lot of the rich Hollywood producers and others live.

The idea that Hollywood was somehow liberal was always laughable. I mean just taking a look at the guy who is President of Marvel ought to disabuse people of that idea.
    Oh, I was familiar with that, and by the way... Rodeo Drive is UGLY! Living proof cash doesn't buy class.

But, telling folks that Hollywood is liberal and out to corrupt people is just another way they get you to buy from, well, Hollywood. It's not that complicated a science, but considering that a large swath of Americans still hold some semblance to "tradition" don't recognize the long con and instead will buy whatever is sold to them.

True.

I mean China is right now basically planning an invasion of Taiwan and essentially the whole erosion of democracy in Hong Kong is essentially a staging area for them capturing Taiwan, because if China can incorporate HK (which was never really a democracy, more a city-oligarchy with some civil liberties and rights) and paper over some dissidents, and murder some pesky kids who want the whole liberty thing, then that gives them some idea how to incorporate Taiwan (which is a full multi-party democracy) which would be harder.

I actually wish Biden was a lot more firmer with Taiwan, like actually recognizing Taiwan or setting up an artificial island there and claiming a naval base there, or something. Because I don't think losing the only successful democracy in the South China Sea is good on any level (economic/diplomatic/political/moral).

Obviously America being a supporter of democracy is a horrible joke when you consider its list of client dictatorships (past and present) but if it's not going to defend some of the few democracies it has left (which is the main reason why I think America should support Israel because it's a successful democracy, warts and all and boy are there warts...) and the main success story that shows the Chinese people that democracy can work and create a viable economy and culture without oppressing its citizens, then it's basically saying that America doesn't really believe in democracy or they think democracy is just for white people.
    If the Reagan years proved anything, it's that America doesn't really care if a place is a democracy or not, as long as it's not Communist (or a fundamentalist Shia Islam nation, as is the case with Iran). There's a reason why "Yankee Imperialism" is a term that exists for much of Latin America and why we kept funding and supply siding anti-leftist and communist plans for decades. Doesn't matter that a good chunk of the world is ruled by dictators, or that Africa is constantly dealing with an endless succession of warlords and dictators replacing one after the other like it's an assembly line. But, as long as they don't adhere to a bastardized version of the Communist Manifesto, who cares, right?

We don't recognize Taiwan because when Richard Nixon "opened" China, one of the deals was that it would be China, not Taiwan, that would be recognized by the United Nations, essentially kicking Taiwan out of the group as a full member, and despite being the loud-mouthed ******* that bitches a lot at the United Nations about how nobody else pulls their weight around, the US has arguably the most clout in the UN (which explains why the few countries that don't recognize Palestine still don't), meaning we could do a lot more than we think.

Losing Taiwan would be a crippling blow to democracy as a concept since China teaches its population that democracy, as a whole, is useless and outdated, but we've pretty much established that democracy is only for white folks unless it benefits the white folks (see: Iraq).

Rachel Maddow made an interesting point tonight. Trump's White House Council Don McGahn is set to testify before Congress next week. While he was President, Trump sued to make sure that wouldn't happen (and it didn't). Now, as a former President, he could again sue to prevent it from happening- but he hasn't. The reason? Now, as a private citizen, he has to pay the lawyers himself- which he of course doesn't want to do. Makes you wonder how rigorous a defense he can afford to have in court, now that he's footing the bill.

They'll drag it out so long he'll die of old age before he suffers any consequences. It's been argued that his bid for the presidency was motivated by avoiding the charges that were already pending against him and had to be put on hold once he was a candidate for president and that the whole thing of refusing to admit defeat and whipping the country into a frenzy with this mass election fraud garbage was all to evade the consequences once he wasn't president anymore.
    Power with Girl is better.