Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't believe there is any evidence that he ordered that guy to tase himself in the nuts.

Where have you seen the best-articulated version of this argument?

The crimes matter because murder is clearly illegal. John Gotti was convicted of murder.

If Trump's financial crimes were as obviously illegal, and as readily provable, there are multiple prosecutors who would be eager to go after him. Anyone in the Manhattan DA's office, Justice Department (which would also include US Attorneys for Florida) and the New York State Attorney General's office would see their careers and reputations skyrocket if they can convict Trump.

There's an interesting podcast that's a spinoff of KCRW's Left, Right and Center called All the President's Lawyers, dealing with the legal questions of all the suits against Trump. The latest episode considered the implications of the indictment of the CFO of the Trump Administration, and addressed Trump's legal liabilities and potential defenses.

Their conclusion is that Weisselberg is likely in a lot of trouble given the shamelessness of the tax fraud (two sets of books to undercut an argument about gifts not being compensation) but that Trump's unlikely to be prosecuted.

https://www.kcrw.com/news/shows/lrc-...sselberg-trump

The idea that it's obvious that Trump can be convicted by a prosecutor who tries hard enough is harmful if untrue. It diminishes people's faith in the justice system if things go as normal.
    Do you really think these compensation schemes were isolated to only Weisselberg? We already know that Ivanka was paid as an employee and consultant and Don Jr and Eric living in company paid for buildings. We know Trump paid no taxes for ten years yet lived a lush lifestyle. I know you aren't that naive. But then again, you refuse to admit that all the election laws being passed are not for voter suppression, but want us to think these noble Republicans care about fraud and security. So why not think Trump is innocent.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 07-07-2021 at 06:59 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/eric-ad...mary-election/

So Eric Adams, a former NYPD officer and an opponent of "Defund the Police" officially wins the democratic NYC mayoral election primary? Eric Adams was, as a child, beaten up by white cops. He knew a lot about the racism in the NYPD and despite that, he joined the NYPD.

So FOX News and Senator Tom Cotton want to "cancel" Captain America: https://www.cbr.com/fox-controversy-captain-america/

I won't be reading this miniseries (I'm an X-men guy), but kudos to the writer for having Cap question the American Dream myth. As my brother, who's attempting to transfer to the first international Costco store (in Iceland), put it to me yesterday: the American Dream these days is to leave America. I find I can't disagree with that assessment.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Ultimate Member

I swear to God, Republicans are physically incapable of introspection

Meanwhile, the GOP is the same as it always was.
    Newly leaked video footage of a recent event hosted by the right-wing group Patriot Voices shows Republican Rep. Chip Roy of Texas openly admitting that his party wants "18 more months of chaos and the inability to get stuff done" as President Joe Biden, a bipartisan group of senators, and congressional Democrats work to pass climate and infrastructure legislation.

"Honestly, right now, for the next 18 months, our job is to do everything we can to slow all of that down to get to December of 2022," Roy says in the clip, referring to the month after that year's midterm elections. Republicans need to flip just a handful of seats to take back the House and Senate.

"I don't vote for anything in the House of Representatives right now," Roy says in response to an audience member's question about the sweeping infrastructure and safety-net package that Democrats are planning to pass unilaterally alongside a White House-backed bipartisan deal.
    There really is no point to negotiating with these people. The reality is that Democrats have to go the extra mile to seem like they're trying to reach out or else they get hammered for it, unfortunately, while naked bad faith on the part of the GOP is not only rewarded, but accepted without even an eyelash batted.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...lity-get-stuff

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    So FOX News and Senator Tom Cotton want to "cancel" Captain America: https://www.cbr.com/fox-controversy-captain-america/

I won't be reading this miniseries (I'm an X-men guy), but kudos to the writer for having Cap question the American Dream myth. As my brother, who's attempting to transfer to the first international Costco store (in Iceland), put it to me yesterday: the American Dream these days is to leave America. I find I can't disagree with that assessment.
    I'm surprised Qpublican nutbags like Cotton didn't whine like colicky toddlers that a black man (Ta-Nehisi Coates) had been writing Cap. As for questioning the American Dream, I thought that in Ed Brubaker's stories, that happened more than a little, and that was what, two decades ago. Chalk this up as being a nothingburger and right wingers needing something to bitch about.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Meanwhile, the GOP is the same as it always was.

There really is no point to negotiating with these people. The reality is that Democrats have to go the extra mile to seem like they're trying to reach out or else they get hammered for it, unfortunately, while naked bad faith on the part of the GOP is not only rewarded, but accepted without even an eyelash batted.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...lity-get-stuff
    Joe Biden needs to stop playing kumbaya with Qpublicans who want nothing to do with helping the country recover because that doesn't help them. Democrats need to stop with the pipe dream of bipartisanship with the GQP which only cares about regaining power, even if it's at the expense of the American people.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Do you really think these compensation schemes were isolated to only Weisselberg? We already know that Ivanka was paid as an employee and consultant and Don Jr and Eric living in company paid for buildings. We know Trump paid no taxes for ten years yet lived a lush lifestyle. I know you aren't that naive. But then again, you refuse to admit that all the election laws being passed are not for voter suppression, but want us to think these noble Republicans care about fraud and security. So why not think Trump is innocent.
    Well, there is Michael Cohen being on record that the executives all know it's a thing. And that Trump and his idiot sons all have been talking on Fox News and at hate rallies about the literal tax avoidance scheme itself, showing intimate knowledge of how it works, and pretending it isn't really a crime.

Spoiler alert for the Trumps and MAGA-chuds who follow them off cliffs: IT TOTALLY F***ING IS A CRIME.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Ultimate Member

So the pretend billionaire is suing the actual billionaires

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/a...141617253.html

I know Trump doesn't think most things through, but does he not understand the concept of counter suits?

I mean, I can only imagine how the lawyers are drooling to get him in a deposition. Even if he attempts to crowd fund this, he still doesn't have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    So the pretend billionaire is suing the actual billionaires

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/a...141617253.html

I know Trump doesn't think most things through, but does he not understand the concept of counter suits?

I mean, I can only imagine how the lawyers are drooling to get him in a deposition. Even if he attempts to crowd fund this, he still doesn't have a chance.
    The reason it won't co forward, and the reason Trump never goes all the way with law suits is because he would have to be deposed and either lie under oath or reveal **** he doesn't want to let out. His lawsuits are always nuisance lawsuits, and if he thinks he can intimadate companies that are worth several hundred billion dollars, he is indeed deluded.
    Does he think that like him, these companies will not want to pay their lawyers to shut him up.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

What do you think the percentage odds are that Ivanka will flip on her dad?
    She has more to lose than Junior. She has TO money which only accounts for 20% of her net assets with her husband. Wereas Junior has nearly 85% of his assets tied up in TO and Trump Enterprises. So I think she would flip on her dad before Junior because she wants to hang onto all that other money.

WHICH IS WHY ... I think Jared is more likely to go first. He's got a family that pressured him to leave Trump's net, and has been MIA for months.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I just learned that the President of Haiti was assassinated.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post

I've got news for Tom Cotton. Cap is the original Antifa. I mean, look at the first issue of Captain America Comics, from 1941. Who's that Cap is punching in the face? Oh yeah, the most infamous fascist in history, Adolf Hitler. And ever since, Cap has fought against those who would take away the rights of others for their own gain. That has even included going against his own government at times. So if Cotton wants to boycott Disney over the new Captain America mini-series, I say knock yourself out, ****-for-brains.
    Watching television is not an activity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I just learned that the President of Haiti was assassinated.
    Just saw this scrolling through Huffpo, and my first thought was "How messed up does your country have to be where the President being assassinated is not the top headline on a news site?" Sadly, pretty messed up and not much hope for change in sight.

Rudy Giuliani is now banned from practicing law in D.C., at least until his case in New York is resolved. Progress is slow, but I'll take it.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...gton-dc-498653
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I'm surprised Qpublican nutbags like Cotton didn't whine like colicky toddlers that a black man (Ta-Nehisi Coates) had been writing Cap. As for questioning the American Dream, I thought that in Ed Brubaker's stories, that happened more than a little, and that was what, two decades ago. Chalk this up as being a nothingburger and right wingers needing something to bitch about.

While I don't really expect them to have much in the way of actual familiarity with specific creative teams and runs?

The John Ney Reiber/John Cassaday run was far more critical(and up front about that criticism...) than either of those runs.