Page 213 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 1131632032092102112122132142152162172232633137131213 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,195 of 75153

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    One other thing...

It also doesn't really look at the reality of some of the really screwed over neighborhoods that people who are already in a tough spot are living in.

Take any more than a cursory look at the spot that Chicago looting/rioting put folks who live in certain south side neighborhoods in.
    As weird as it sounds part of me sort of wonders why rioters don't take the time to commute and riot in nicer neighborhoods more often. Not that I condone rioting in any way, shape or form but in nicer areas you can probably assume everyone you loot is properly insured.

Ultimate Member

One other thing...

It also doesn't really look at the reality of some of the really screwed over neighborhoods that people who are already in a tough spot are living in.

Take any more than a cursory look at the spot that Chicago looting/rioting put folks who live in certain south side neighborhoods in.
    I've lived in West Side neighborhoods where slightly older people would tell me something like, "Oh yeah, that used to be the such and such but it burned down in the 60's" and it's some abandoned building or an empty lot. Or even, "Yeah, on this street these were all black owned businesses, but they moved out in the early 70's and it was nothing for years until now when the Arabs/Koreans moved in."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think putting more resources into better training and more oversight is all you can really do. Maybe take away some of their legal protections under certain circumstances.

You can tweak the system, but ultimately human error will bleed into it.

I certainly don't agree with any notion to NOT have police. They serve a necessary function in society and anything you replace it with will have the exact same issues.
    Giving police departments MORE money is all you can do? Seriously? I'm just wondering what kind of human being sees choking someone - who is handcuffed - to death as "human error"?

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Libertarian here and these are some of the solutions being discussed in our circles in regards to police brutality (the short version):

End qualified immunity. There is a bill being proposed to congress right now and you can read more about it here: https://lpgeorgia.com/endqualifiedim...cQvtjEQvqDfBT4
    I have already contacted my representatives to support this proposal.

Demilitarize the police.

Make officers pay for their own abuse settlements.

Prosecute police for civil rights violations.

If you want more in-dept information, I strongly suggest you check out Spike Cohen on Facebook. He is the Libertarian VP nominee and has had several REALLY GOOD live videos on his facebook page discussing these issues and tackling them from a libertarian prospective.

Also, since I am volunteering at a grassroots level for The Jo Jorgensen/Spike Cohen ticket check out the campaign page at Joj2020.com. Finally, Jo and Spike will be having an ask me anything facebook live event tonight from 5-6 EST on Jo Jorgensen's facebook. This would be a great opportunity to get answers straight from the candidates!
    Thanks for the response. I think it's fairly obvious to demilitarise the police after what we've seen, as well as prosecuting for civil rights violations. I would add that police that witness a crime by a fellow officer and fail to report it should be charged with the same crime, like in organised crime cases. Too much Blue Wall bullshit happening.

Ultimate Member

As weird as it sounds part of me sort of wonders why rioters don't take the time to commute and riot in nicer neighborhoods more often. Not that I condone rioting in any way, shape or form but in nicer areas you can probably assume everyone you loot is properly insured.
    Because generally, people tend to victimize people in their own communities and/or where they think they can get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Because generally, people tend to victimize people in their own communities and/or where they think they can get away with it.
    There's also the idea that you could be sending some sort of a message to larger chains(let's say, grocery stores...) That said, the south side of Chicago is laid out the way it is by design. The idea that the folks you intend of sending a message to even care(never mind the folks who created the racial separation to start with...) is an incredibly suspect idea.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    Giving police departments MORE money is all you can do? Seriously? I'm just wondering what kind of human being sees choking someone - who is handcuffed - to death as "human error"?

Thanks for the response. I think it's fairly obvious to demilitarise the police after what we've seen, as well as prosecuting for civil rights violations. I would add that police that witness a crime by a fellow officer and fail to report it should be charged with the same crime, like in organised crime cases. Too much Blue Wall bullshit happening.
    More money for better training and more oversight yeah

I think that's sort of the questionable issue about people wanting to defund police departments while simotanously calling for them to be overhauled and improved. Tough to do both at the same time. Improving something takes resources... though it obviously needs to be monitors so that those resources are funneled in the right ways.

The later part of that I get. But the former part about wanting to victimize your own community is kinda sad. These are the resources you yourself need, especially in a tough time.

But I suppose overall its just easier.

The later part of that I get. But the former part about wanting to victimize your own community is kinda sad. These are the resources you yourself need, especially in a tough time.

Especially when you are too poor to travel to those more well off neighborhoods.

Fun fact - back when 'Irish need not apply' signs were the norm, the highest ranking Irish priest in NYC protected the churches by threatening to burn the city to the ground. He got word that the police were going to have a planned absence ahead of a vigilante mob, so he went to City Hall and told the mayor what would happen in no uncertain terms. That if even one church was burned down, he would provide torches to every Irish parishioner in the city, then personally lead them to every place that provides revenue, and every upscale neighborhood in the city, and ensure that the Irish would have company in their misery.

The police miraculously went back on patrol.
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 06-05-2020 at 07:23 PM.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Ultimate Member

There's also the idea that you could be sending some sort of a message to larger chains(let's say, grocery stores...) That said, the south side of Chicago is laid out the way it is by design. The idea that the folks you intend of sending a message to even care(never mind the folks who created the racial separation to start with...) is an incredibly suspect idea.
    Yeah, mean...if you torch a cop car, you're sending a message. If you loot a Target and give the goods away, that's something we can talk about. If you break into minority owned liquor store, that's something else.

Ultimate Member

Ha! We were just talking about her in the Minority Thread. I haven't seen this Glenn Beck clip, but I saw another one where she (erroneously ) claims that other races don't glorify criminals in their races and also claims that it's embarrassing that people aren't protesting all the people that doctors kill in surgeries.

Ultimate Member

That's just how it goes when it comes to actual crime. I don't know the technical terms to use but trans-racial crime is a lot lower than "mono-racial" crime.

Intermediary

per Senator Mike Lee on Twitter

Lee is the Republican Senator from Utah

Just heard that Mayor Bowser is kicking the Utah National Guard out of all DC hotels tomorrow. More than 1200 troops from 10 states are being evicted. This is unacceptable. 1/2

These brave men and women have risked their lives protecting DC for three days. Rioting, looting, arson, and vandalism have all disappeared bc these soldiers served. And now they are being kicked to the curb by an ungrateful mayor. This must be stopped. 2/2
    NOPE

its called the 3RD AMENDMENT

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    People might want to see the pic on the forum.
    It's almost like Fox News are trying to tell their viewers we should be fine with black people getting murdered, because it helps their stock portfolios.

Wait, it's exactly like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMan View Post
    per Senator Mike Lee on Twitter

Lee is the Republican Senator from Utah

NOPE

its called the 3RD AMENDMENT
    Mike Lee likes to cherrypick the Constitution for all the amendments he feels shouldn't be in there. Guessing he'd like the 3rd repealed now.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

BANNED

That's just how it goes when it comes to actual crime. I don't know the technical terms to use but trans-racial crime is a lot lower than "mono-racial" crime.
    I feel like the fixation with this sort of thing betrays a rather fascistic world view on the part of people who keep banging on about it, as if killing people in other communities is somehow more okay because the natural and normal state of humans is to exist in a perpetual race war.