Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Sweet baby Jesus! How on Earth did I miss THAT nonsense? Please tell me you weren't serious, Mets!
    "He survived COVID so he knows how to teach others to survive COVID."

Perhaps a better argument should be "He survived COVID so maybe he should others how not to get COVID"? Also, if you're a high ranking politician or a human being that's loaded with cash, they are going to protect you at all costs. For the rest of us, it's like being thrown in with a pack of wolves and praying they already ate.

It's... it's spectacularly incredible the hoops many will jump through to fight against science and health despite evidence proving that simple methods do help. The only reason they are shown they don't work is because they aren't enforced and dipshits keep fighting against them as if it's some kind of identification symbol. When you have policies that are voluntary or actively opposed, guess what? They aren't effective!

While it's true governments are often reluctant to relinquish authority, this is a medical crisis. But we gotta protect the economy and appease the cranks.
    Last edited by GindyPosts; 08-20-2021 at 02:14 PM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    What really upsets me is when I hear all these anti mask anti Vaxers bitching about being the victims of the next generation of Jim Crowe Laws and how they feel like the black people in the 50s and 60s because they know what they went through and how their rights are being violated just as bad.

Give me a fucking break. I am a white guy and I want to punch these people. I cant even picture how upset it makes a Black person.
    Yet I will bet all of these geniuses got the benefit of childhood immunizations that have made small pox, polio etc. practically non-existent in the U.S. If they all get sick then maybe natural selection will win out and they'll all die out in a few generations

Beastie's Cartoons of the Week

"Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    If outside forces are making the shop/restaurant/cruise line owners mandate the vaccine I guess I can see how your outside influence argument would work.

But the small business owners, bar owners,etc... that want to make the choice to do this on their own and not from pressure have that right. No one is violating a persons right if the person is not forced to shop or eat there to begin with. A person has a choice what restaurant/bar they go to. They have a choice if they want to see an NFL game in person they have a choice to go on a cruise. If they feel their rights are being violated by these places they very much have the choice not to go. And if an owner of these places want a person coming in to have the vaccine that is their right as it is their business. The the GOP who bitch all the time about government interference and government taking away some one's choice has no NO right to stop that.

There is a bar in Oxford it has been on the news. The owner said anyone who wants to drink or eat there has to be vaccinated. He is very pro mask, pro vaccine and has been very open about it since this mess started. There are tons of other bars in that town. it is a collage town. So People do not have to drink there if they dont like it. They can go some where else and their rights will not be violated if that is their worry. yet there are other people other business owners who think they will be hurt by this who are threatening a law suit. As are several local Republican leaders. So the leaders are trying to take away his choice on the matter when all they do is bitch about choice being taken away. They are talking out of their ass on the subject.

If I owned a comic shop or baseball card store or what ever you are damn right people will be vaccinated before they come in. If they want to bitch about it they can go some where else. if that hurts my bottom line that is still my choice to make. Not the governments, not the GOP local leaders who hate it not the people who come to my shop who can go elsewhere. But mine and mine alone.

The fact is any policy of the store is up to the store owner. Not the costumer.
    I can completely understand this argument. Honestly, the idea that the owner should have the right to set the standards is probably my preference.

I'm interested in more about why you would want to make sure people are vaccinated before they go to a store.

1. How would you determine that they're vaccinated? Is showing a photo of their card enough?

2. Are you worried about spreading Covid to people who have been vaccinated? If so, is this because of what you know about Covid so far, or is it due to concerns about things we don't know at this point (Are there long-term consequences for vaccinated people who seem to have a mild case of Covid? Can the virus mutate to a variant that is more harmful to individuals than Delta?)

3. Are you worried about spreading Covid to people who have made the decision not to be vaccinated?

4. Are you worried about the effects of Covid on children who legally cannot be vaccinated? Would ten year olds be excluded from your store?

5. Do you think the decisions by one storeowner would make a difference? If Babyblob's Comics and Cards insists on vaccinations, does that matter if other stores in the area are okay with unvaccinated customers?

I get that these are sensitive policy questions on matters with high stakes, but I think our discussion is informed and respectful.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    "He survived COVID so he knows how to teach others to survive COVID."

Perhaps a better argument should be "He survived COVID so maybe he should others how not to get COVID"? Also, if you're a high ranking politician or a human being that's loaded with cash, they are going to protect you at all costs. For the rest of us, it's like being thrown in with a pack of wolves and praying they already ate.

It's... it's spectacularly incredible the hoops many will jump through to fight against science and health despite evidence proving that simple methods do help. The only reason they are shown they don't work is because they aren't enforced and dipshits keep fighting against them as if it's some kind of identification symbol. When you have policies that are voluntary or actively opposed, guess what? They aren't effective!

While it's true governments are often reluctant to relinquish authority, this is a medical crisis. But we gotta protect the economy and appease the cranks.
    I think there's a slight misunderstanding. I don't even know if he's had Covid as an individual, so that's not the argument I'm summarizing. It would also be meaningless to see any significance in a wealthy navy reservist in his early 40s having a mild case of Covid.

The specific argument is about how he's managed Florida, where the rate of deaths is average despite an older population, and where the level of restrictions has been relatively low.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Seems like it's not personal, and folks just know a lie when they see it.
    So a statement I made later that seems to have been misunderstood (IE- people think it's my view when I'm summarizing an argument I've heard) justifies an earlier response?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Let me go ahead and answer you as best I can Mets. not sure I will be great at what I want to say but I will try. And yes this is an informative and respectful talk.

Point 1 - I would have them show their Vaccine card I would want to see an id to make sure it is them.

Point 2 - I do worry about passing Covid to people with a vaccine. I am not as worried about it because the illness is less severe in people with the vaccine. I do wonder what the long term effects if any there are for people who have had Covid vaccine or no.

Point 3 - I am not so much worried about passing it to people who chose not to get the vaccine. I mean it sucks they are sick and I feel bad about it. But they can greatly lessen the chance and choose not to. So that is on them if they get sick not on me.

Point 4 - Kids who cant get the vaccine I have to be honest I have no clue what to say or do about that. I know the chances of them getting covid is less (I could be wrong but that is what I have heard) This is a subject I have to do more research on. I dont have kids myself so I never gave it too much thought to be honest.

Point 5 - I dont know if my one store would make a difference. But the thought of I am one person, I am one store and cant make a difference is used too much as a way for people to do nothing. So even if no other stores in my area do what I am doing I can at least sleep and know I am doing my part.

Now as for choice I think a person does have the choice to mandate or not mandate. If there is a mandate from the government be it local or state or federal then it needs to be followed. Or if a school systems mandates it it needs to followed. But if there is no mandate then it is up to the business or person to decide it. I am not happy about a person who does not get a vaccine or wear a mask but that is on them. They are making the problem worse but there is nothing I can do about it as I as a person to make them change. But if it is mandated which I think it should be it needs to be followed.

And it is damn awful and it makes me so mad when I see out elected leaders downplay the threat, and disregard and stand in the way of people who are trying to help stop the flow. It is the worst thing a leader can do because they are doing it to score political points over the value of people's lives. A governor does not want to do a mandate. Fine but if a local school system who is more in tune to the local community and has no doubt looked at local health numbers from the health department wants to mandate that he damn sure should not stand in their way.
    Last edited by babyblob; 08-20-2021 at 05:06 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I think there's a slight misunderstanding. I don't even know if he's had Covid as an individual, so that's not the argument I'm summarizing. It would also be meaningless to see any significance in a wealthy navy reservist in his early 40s having a mild case of Covid.

The specific argument is about how he's managed Florida, where the rate of deaths is average despite an older population, and where the level of restrictions has been relatively low.

So a statement I made later that seems to have been misunderstood (IE- people think it's my view when I'm summarizing an argument I've heard) justifies an earlier response?
    We're not disputing whether or not it's your view, Mets. We're saying the entire argument is bullshit. And if you present said argument without commenting how you feel about it, you can't be surprised that we assume you agree with the argument.
    Watching television is not an activity.

University of Virginia disenrolls unvaccinated students ahead of fall semester

Forty-nine students who registered for fall classes at the University of Virginia have been disenrolled after failing to meet the school’s vaccine mandate, officials said Friday.

The campus unveiled its vaccine mandate in May and the overwhelming majority of the campus is in compliance, officials said. More than 96 percent of U-Va. students are vaccinated against the coronavirus and 335 students with religious and medical exemptions have been granted permanent waivers, officials said.

An additional 184 temporary waivers were granted to students who have had trouble getting vaccinated but plan to get their shots upon arriving to campus.

Less than 1 percent of students enrolled — or 238 students — are not in compliance, “but only 49 of those students had actually selected courses, meaning that a good number of the remaining 189 may not have been planning to return to the university this fall at all, regardless of our vaccination policy,” said Brian Coy, a school spokesman.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

death cult, etc.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...?ocid=msedgntp

A Republican legislator in Maine who lost his wife to COVID-19 last week appeared at a rally on Tuesday that featured a GOP colleague who compared the state’s Democratic governor to a Nazi doctor who performed deadly experiments on Jews during the Holocaust.

State Rep. Chris Johansen, who emerged in the early days of the pandemic as a fierce opponent of public health-related restrictions, joined a group of lawmakers at the event in Augusta. State Rep. Heidi Sampson delivered a speech to the crowd that baselessly accused Gov. Janet Mills, who has introduced a vaccine mandate for health-care workers, of operating a government campaign to test “experimental” vaccines on unknowing citizens.
    Top Branded Wigs, Great Prices
    I haven't checked to see if either of these people are in WBE's queue, but if they weren't before, they probably are now :P

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I wonder how the GQP, the so-called "Party of Life" that's so damn obsessed with protecting the unborn will react to THIS bit of news:

COVID-19 claims lives of two unborn Central Texas infants
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I wonder how the GQP, the so-called "Party of Life" that's so damn obsessed with protecting the unborn will react to THIS bit of news:

COVID-19 claims lives of two unborn Central Texas infants
    The only life the GOP cares for is capitalism's, which we are all welcome to die for.

There were cabinet mtgs about this during the Trump Admin where Stephen Miller would peddle his racist hysteria about Iraq & Afghanistan. He & his enablers across gov’t would undermine anyone who worked on solving the SIV issue by devastating the system at DHS & State.(1/7)

So, the Trump admin made the deal with the Taliban under which US forces would depart in 2021 but obstructed the process for bringing the Afghans who supported the mission to the US

I still think Biden could have mitigated some of this, but like I said, Trump and Stephen Miller set up a trap for Biden. It may not have been their intent at first, but that is how it played out. Trump and Miller wanted to undermine the Afgan government, trap the Afgan allies, weaken the US military presence in Afgan, and then sit back and watch the place burn.

They are like arsonists who set an apartment building on fire, then stand in the crowd of onlookers, gleefully watching as people burn to death. i really hope that someone finds some criminal charge for Stephen Miller that sends him to jail for life.

Trump Administration Has Drastically Dropped Visas For Afghan And Iraqi Interpreters - May 1, 2019

Pompeo Is Lying About Afghanistan
    Last edited by Tami; 08-21-2021 at 05:03 AM.

Missouri Rep. Sara Walsh’s husband dies after contracting COVID-19

ASHLAND, Mo. — A Missouri state lawmaker who is running for Congress has announced that her husband has died after the couple was diagnosed with COVID-19.

Republican State Rep. Sara Walsh, of Ashland, thanked everyone who had prayed for her husband, Steve Walsh, in announcing Thursday in a tweet that he had died. He was 63.

Sara Walsh, who is running for U.S. Rep. Vicky Hartzler’s 4th congressional district seat, said over the weekend that she had recovered and was out of quarantine. Neither she nor her husband, who served as Hartzler’s press secretary, had been vaccinated against COVID-19.

Walsh said previously that she did not get the vaccine because it has not been fully approved by the federal Food and Drug Administration and she was concerned about risk factors, although research has shown it is safe.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

So Florida is actually going to go through with punishing the schools that are requiring masks. You'd think at least one person would be able to look the Governor in the eye and say, "Sir, even aside from it being a questionable move to demand them to be maskless...have you thought about the optics of it? You're punishing them for doing what they think is right for their children."

On top of that, isn't the Republican party the part of small government and personal freedom? Doesn't stepping in and countermanding a local elected body's decision fly in the face of both of those ideals?