FYI on this Weston Whopper. Weston is one of the wealthiest areas of Connecticut. It is not a middle class subburb. I wonder if it is not so much the affordable housing as a very large building in a place where there are just single family homes.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The people of Afghanistan were not the bad guys and were not America's enemies.

It's a worthwhile point that the war was different when Bin Laden was still alive. But we did find him in Pakistan, and not Afghanistan.

There are many sides here.

As a single guy, I would like it to be easier and cheaper to buy a small unit outside of a transportation desert, so I would be able to get to work in the Bronx without driving.
    I know of places in NJ where there is easy access to Public transit and the living coasts are low. If you really wanted to, I'm sure you could find something.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    FYI on this Weston Whopper. Weston is one of the wealthiest areas of Connecticut. It is not a middle class subburb. I wonder if it is not so much the affordable housing as a very large building in a place where there are just single family homes.
    So they have more resources and a lower population density than the average suburban community?

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I know of places in NJ where there is easy access to Public transit and the living coasts are low. If you really wanted to, I'm sure you could find something.
    Legitimately, if you know of a place in New Jersey that is cheap and where public transportation can get me to Yankee Stadium (the place I work at is in the vicinity) within an hour on weekdays, I'd love to get the info by PM.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 09-01-2021 at 07:24 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

From the article:

But key American decisions were made long before July, when the consensus among intelligence agencies was that the Afghan government could hang on for as long as two years, which would have left ample time for an orderly exit. On April 27, when the State Department ordered the departure of nonessential personnel from the embassy in Kabul, the overall intelligence assessment was still that a Taliban takeover was at least 18 months away, according to administration officials.

One senior administration official, who spoke on the condition of anonymityto discuss the classified intelligence reports, said that even by July, as the situation grew more volatile, intelligence agencies never offered a clear prediction of an imminent Taliban takeover. The official said their assessments were also not given a “high confidence” judgment, the agencies’ highest level of certainty.

Clearly all Biden's fault.

So...

The intelligence community?

Gotta be covering their own butts. No other possibility.

The current administration?

No way that they could be covering their butts. No logical scenario where that is what they would be doing so...

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The rains from what used to be Hurricane Ida appears to be moving out of the region. Some areas to the far north and west of me, say twenty-five miles from my front porch reportedly got as much as 11 inches or rain. Meanwhile, homes in Mullica Hill, NJ, some 26 miles south of me were flat out demolished by a tornado. I’m watching the local news and the damage there looks like something you’d see in Oklahoma, not New Jersey. This was just incredible.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 09-01-2021 at 07:47 PM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    So...

The intelligence community?

Gotta be covering their own butts. No other possibility.

The current administration?

No way that they could be covering their butts. No logical scenario where that is what they would be doing so...
    Still haven't read the whole article, huh?

But you be you and put 100% of the blame on. Biden.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The rains from what used to be Hurricane Ida appears to be moving out of the region. Some areas to the far north and west of me, say twenty-five miles from my front porch reportedly got as much as 11 inches or rain. Meanwhile, homes in Mullica Hill, NJ, some 26 miles south of me were flat out demolished by a tornado. I’m watching the local news and the damage there looks like something you’d see in Oklahoma, not New Jersey. This was just incredible.
    Oh.....damn.....I'm not used to hearing about Tornado damage here in NJ.

Still haven't read the whole article, huh?

But you be you and put 100% of the blame on. Biden.
    The article where the source for what you highlighted was an unnamed?

Past that, why would Milley describe this if it never actually existed?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nat...d-u-s-n1277026

CIA warned of rapid Afghanistan collapse. So why did U.S. get it so wrong?
    On Wednesday, Joint Chiefs Chairman Mark Milley said that the Afghan government fell faster than anyone expected.

“Intelligence clearly indicated multiple scenarios were possible: one of those was an outright Taliban takeover following a rapid collapse of the Afghan Security Forces and the government,” Milley told reporters at the Pentagon. "However, the timeframe of a rapid collapse, that was widely estimated and ranged from weeks, months, and even years following our departure. There was nothing that I or anybody else saw that indicated a collapse of this army and this government in 11 days.”
    Never mind this...

A senior intelligence official also said Wednesday that the Afghan government “unraveled even more quickly than we anticipated.”

But the official added: “We consistently identified the risk of a rapid collapse of the Afghan government. We also grew more pessimistic about the government’s survival as the fighting season progressed.”

The Newberg school board is more sharply divided than ever after four right-leaning members voted to hire a “supplemental” lawyer to defend their decision to ban Pride and Black Lives Matter symbols in district schools.

Newberg school board Chair Dave Brown and his vice chair, Brian Shannon, forced the vote to hire the firm without the advance notice required by Oregon public meeting law despite protests from three of their fellow board members and the community at large.
    BuT CAnCEl CUlTURE and CRITICAL RACE THEORY11111

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/de...?ocid=msedgntp

New via CNN: House Freedom Caucus chair Andy Biggs calls on McCarthy to remove Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger from GOP conference for accepting roles on Jan. 6 committee — supposedly making them “spies”

Biggs — expected to be investigated over the Capitol attack — also claims there was no insurrection (defined as a violent uprising against an authority of government). That is exactly what happened on Jan. 6

As the Supreme Court denies the request to stop Texas' six week abortion ban, I just want to remind everyone who whined 'you can't blackmail me with the supreme court!' that they were wrong and really ought to reconsider their approach to politics.

They are not the only ones, of course. Failure to confront the rising authoritarianism on the right with a fierce enough approach to the threat it represents is a big problem, and minority conservative rule that does not actually represent the country is a huge and growing problem.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 09-01-2021 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    As the Supreme Court denies the request to stop Texas' six week abortion ban, I just want to remind everyone who whined 'you can't blackmail me with the supreme court!' that they were wrong and really ought to reconsider their approach to politics.

They are not the only ones, of course. Failure to confront the rising authoritarianism on the right with a fierce enough approach to the threat it represents is a big problem
    , and minority conservative rule that does not actually represent the country is a huge and growing problem.
    Yeah...

No mention of folks too full of themselves to run a unity ticket or Justices who apparently put exactly how they wanted to do things ahead of actually attempting to safeguard the work that they had done.

There are better ways of doing things than insisting on having to blow up the Death Star.

Someday, folks might get that.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Yeah...

No mention of folks too full of themselves to run a unity ticket or Justices who apparently put exactly how they wanted to do things ahead of actually attempting to safeguard the work that they had done.

There are better ways of doing things than insisting on having to blow up the Death Star.

Someday, folks might get that.
    Please, continue to indulge your own self-righteousness and never admit fault.

It was so helpful, and is in no way what I meant by telling you that people like you, who have been wrong about nearly everything related to the consequences of the 2016 election, should reconsider their approach to politics. 30, we have access to years of posts you wrote deflecting from what a Trump presidency would mean. Posts you wrote about what they'd mean for the Supreme Court, about what they'd mean for women, about what they'd mean for LGBT rights. You were wrong then, you're wrong now, and all you can do is run crying back to blaming the woman for what was obvious to the rest of us. I wish I could say this wasn't predictable for you on those forum, but given you're exactly the kind of person who needs to reconsider the costs to others of their political strategy, not exactly surprising.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 09-01-2021 at 10:11 PM.

I thought the GOP was all about keeping government out of your life.
    Except when it comes to abortions I guess.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm