Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I tend to not tolerate someone who defends a five alarm racist/white nationalist. Especially unapologetically, months after the fact, in a continued refusal to back off of it. Like, y'know, this whole "the lady doth protest too much" take you have on it, rather than just abandoning it, in which case, I think it would have been easier to move on if you weren't so dedicated to Miller, like you owed him money or fealty for some reason. Or, you might like what he has to say, which is far more troubling.

Ah, this would be the part where there's a moment to look at Occam's Razor, and the person chooses to cut themselves with it.

You are 100% wrong here. White nationalism, or any defense of it, should always be brought up as a character failing. Like you repeatedly are doing on this subject.

The healthy approach is to reject it. Not to refuse to recognize it, and insist that those adhering and enacting it aren't what they are.

Multiple posters have literally PM'ed me about your defense of Miller, and how perplexed they are by it. I'll do them the courtesy of not naming names, as to why the first letter in "PM" is "private". Not for nothing, but some fear you are trending in the direction of embracing fascism. No hyperbole.

That's the second opinion.

You're also admitting you've defended a white nationalist Congressman who is currently implicated in sex trafficking of a minor. Nice collection of folks you stick up for, truly.

You have this perplexing tendency to view being held accountable for the things you say, or reprehensible people you've posted defenses of as "insults". Which while regrettably is on-brand for the last admitted Republican on this forum, does not fit the definition of what an insult is.

Again, I offer the alternative... it's a simple choice called, "Stop defending white nationalists and racists".

Y'know, I don't recall ever getting a PM about being unfair to you on this topic. Or seeing anyone tell me I am. You might want to consider that the shoe in question fits, and it's rather sad to see someone dig in to defend a white nationalist this vehemently.

Because forming so lengthy a post on this subject is, if nothing else, a vehement defense of them.

As far as saying you're gaslighting us, you have repeatedly been posting more and more alternate reality versions of what's happening in politics. Just for example, the other day, claiming your party rejects racism as it has been circling ranks to defend it and do nothing to eject racists from within it is, y'know, all of that. I gave the simple counter to point out a literal Congressional vote where they rallied around bluntly racist remarks made by Donald Trump.

I will not surrender to a false narrative.

So if you don't want to be accused of "gaslighting", you can start posting more of the truth.

You're definitely wrong.

With certainty, I can say you're not on this subject.

With certainty, you're not.

Again, I will suggest a far healthier approach to this...

Stop defending people like Matt Gaetz and Stephen Miller for doing the worst things, saying the worst things, and trying to bring about the cruelest policies they can imagine. Because when you do, they only redouble their efforts, rather than change for the better. The alternative being, of course, to embrace those negative things, and change oneself for the worse.

Mets, I have over the course of many months, appealed to you to abandon the worst impulses of what the GOP has become. Every time, you have rejected the suggestion, and only gone farther down a troubling path with them. This should not be a difficult choice. Again, I can only ask for you to do the bare minimum of decency, and just stop defending white nationalists like Miller and Gaetz.
    If I've posted anything so outrageously wrong about Stephen Miller or Matt Gaetz that it's worth bringing it up months later, by all means quote it. Show the comments.

I think I know what you're talking about, which was a post in which I said it was a good thing the Barr justice department wasn't louder about Gaetz's investigation, and another comment in which I disagreed with a poster expressing the belief that Stephen Miller ordered the Department of Homeland Security to use Nazi dog whistles in a press release.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post5684557

You don't seem willing to respond to what was actually said. It seems to be more about the idea of what side someone's on, so if someone says something over the top or factually wrong about a bad person, to point that out is suspicious.

It's massively hypocritical to talk about truth and gaslighting if your view is that inconvenient truths should not be mentioned. "The lady doth protest too much" seems to be an effective tool for gaslighting, to weaponize someone having to point out the facts more than once.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

On this date in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017, "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" published profiles of the U.S. House Representative from Utah’s 3rd District, Jason Chaffetz, who in our first profile, we noted about how in 2012 he fanatically campaigned on behalf of Mitt Romney (including contradicting Mitt and saying he would run again and WIN in 2016). Jason Chaffetz also is a prolific back-stabbing weasel of the highest order, even to veterans of his own party who give him a hand up the power structure. Chaffetz also has carried out a personal vendetta with the TSA, convinced that he's searched because they're union employees and badmouthing them at every opportunity. As a member of the House Oversight Committee, Chaffetz had already participated in various witch hunts led by Darrell Issa, including interviews about Benghazi, insisting it is a scandal of unimaginable magnitude in spite of the fact that he has never produced, or seen any evidence to indicate there's anything to it. He’s also a pretty prolific warmonger, because he not only criticized the Obama administration for trying to negotiate a nuclear treaty with Iran, but he called for pre-emptive strikes on all “nuclear sites” they might have. Betrayal at the hands of the Utah Congressman is frequent enough that the term “getting Chaffetzed” was becoming frequent on Capitol Hill during his tenure. Chaffetz continued Darrell Issa’s pattern of having the House Oversight Committee waste millions of dollars on phantom “scandals”, including when he continuously interrupt Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards to try and rattle her during her five hour testimony before the panel. Chaffetz also took time to insult Richards and claim she was overpaid, for her $200,000 salary and embarrassed himself during his closing comments as he demanded a response from Richards to a chart he held up that showed inaccurate (i.e. false) statistics about abortion. Richards humiliated him by responding, “My lawyer’s informing me the source is Americans United for Life, which is an anti-abortion group,” said Richards. “So you might want to check your source.” By July of 2016, after the investigation by FBI Director James Comey into Hillary Clinton's e-mails found no evidence of wrongdoing, and no indictments, Jason Chaffetz was one of several Republicans who demanded an investigation of James Comey's investigation. This is after Chaffetz had previously been hailing Director Comey as “a man of integrity and honesty”, but after his investigation did not produce sufficient evidence to press charges, suddenly he was suspect. Oh, and your tax dollars would pay for both investigations. Well, once Donald Trump won the electoral college in the 2016 elections thanks to GOP voter suppression tactics and Russian interference, a lot of smart folks around the United States realized that having the House Oversight Committee keep an eye on a corrupt businessman with authoritarian leanings so that he didn’t become an equally corrupt president. Whether it was the alarming news breaking about General Michael Flynn meeting with Russians, or any of Donald Trump’s own business dealings with Russia, Chaffetz suddenly wanted to sit on his thumbs. While some thought this was simply a matter of Chaffetz being a partisan dildo, others like reporter Louise Mensch indicated that there could be a strong possibility that an outside group had compromising material on the Utah Congressman. Within a few days of Mensch reporting that on Twitter, all of a sudden Jason Chaffetz abruptly announced he wouldn’t seek re-election in 2018, and then amended his announcement to say he wouldn’t finish out his term, resigning from office completely. This weasel has moved on to work as a Fox News contributor, even though his punch-worthy face is much more worthy of radio. It seems we won’t have the misfortune to have to discuss him for some time, but we’ll note that Chaffetz’s name keeps getting thrown around as a potential future Governor of Utah…

On this date in 2018, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” profiled Michael Snyder, a 2018 candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives for Idaho’s 1st Congressional District, and stunt-mustache from To Catch a Predator. The day before announcing his candidacy, that Snyder had ranted against “men not dressing like men and women dressing like women” in an op-ed. As the 2016 election approached Snyder called Hillary Clinton a modern-day Jezebel and began flailing about claiming that the “elite” might launch an attack on Donald Trump and his family and blame it on a “lone wolf”, or create a “false flag” event so they could cancel or suspend the election. Perhaps that, and spreading his own conspiracy theory about the Las Vegas shooter being a secret anti-Trump activist with ties to Antifa, is why Snyder won the endorsement of the even-more-bats*** crazy Alex Jones.If that’s still not insane enough for you, Snyder would also claim to be the “most Pro-Trump candidate” while assuring confidence in everyday Americans by plugging his book about the Rapture, and making paranoid statements on social media where he’d mention the End Times, Like you do. Snyder’s platform, outside of conspiracy theories and warnings out of the Book of Revelations featured abolishing the income tax and the IRS, building President Trump’s stupid border wall along the U.S. border with Mexico, allowing communities to “say no to refugees” and his vow “to completely destroy Planned Parenthood as an organization.” As one would hope, Michael Snyder proved too wacky and apocalyptic for voters at the polls, and he finished a distant fifth with only 10% of the vote in the primary, slightly worse than CSGOPOTD alumni Christy Perry. He may now go back to his full time job, trying to scare people that the book “Left Behind” is non-fiction.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

On this date in 2019, as well as in 2020, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” profile the U.S. House Representative from Tennessee’s 2nd Congressional District, Tim Burchett, who is now serving who was first elected to that position in the 2018 elections, allowing him to replace the disgraced John Duncan, Jr. in a highly conservative district that the GOP have held since, oh… 1857. Mind you, Burchett underperformed what Duncan used to do at the polls, because Burchett, the former mayor of Knox County, is a rabid Bigfoot enthusiast, whose greatest achievement in terms of policy was to make it legal for his constituents at home to eat roadkill when he was still a member of the Tennessee state legislature in the 1990s. (Knox County apparently prefers their mayors eccentric, as Burchett’s replacement was Glenn Jacobs, aka WWE’s Kane.)

Burchett has a long, sordid history of campaign finance violations dating back to his time in the Tennessee State Senate, including an investigation in 2018 that had the FBI considering whether or not they should pursue tax evasion charges. He also has been quite prolific on Twitter, being dumb enough to besmirch the University of Tennessee football team (not a smart political move for someone from Tennessee), and to make non-sequitur attacks on “Serbian dirtbags. The latter slight, he of course refuses to apologize for, and the former he blew off as “something I deleted after five minutes”.

Tennessee’s 2nd Congressional District has a +25 Republican lean in the Cook Partisan Voting Index, helping him get re-elected in 2020 with 68% of the vote. Thus, he has returned to Washington to do the following:

With Denver Riggleman having lost in his own Virginia district in 2020, Tim Burchett is now the only openly proud sasquatch enthusiast in Congress. And, if that wasn’t weird enough already, on June 16th, 2021, Burchett chatted with a reporter from TMZ about the existence of UFOs, citing passages from the Bible he felt indicate they exist, and his belief that there was a coverup of a recovered UFO in Roswell, New Mexico in 1947. Next up, we’re going to find out he believes in the Loch Ness Monster and Mothman, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

It is quite common in medicine for procedures that work on adults to not be effective with children. In addition, the effectiveness of masks does not last for the entire school day.

In addition, there are specific costs to having kids wear masks, and the costs of Covid are lower for children (a.contrast with previous epidemics in which children were more likely to die or face serious ailments.)
    I was being sarcastic, Mets, but your arguments are still stupid as hell. Masks don't 'work differently' on children. They're masks. It's not a pharmaceutical, it's a frigging mask. There's *zero* reason to believe that they 'work differently' on children that isn't cultivated and created by anti-mask conservatives who've turned masking into a partisan issue. Moreover, if masks don't last an entire school day, then they need to bring more than one and change them out at lunch, and yes, the 'science' proving masks are 'ineffective' in schools is not as strong as you'd like to pretend, nor as settled as you want to think. The existence of a question doesn't mean we surrender a layer of protection unnecessarily. You are also ignoring, because of course you would, the risk it poses to disabled students, students with disabled family members, students with compromised immune systems, and staff who are the same. And the reason to play this out to the end is to try to make an indefensible position taken by GOP politicians you really want to vote for defensible. You've shown that you'll justify any loss of life so long as you can find a way to self-justify a GOP vote and, no, being willing to do the bare minimum in voting against Trump doesn't make that better.

That said, the proof, the *actual proof*, is in the the schools that are having to close and quarantine versus the ones that aren't, not in a few little articles written from an anti-mask point of view that are afraid of the 'cost to developing children of extended masking'.

AS for the rest... The costs of Covid are 'lower' for children? Are you effing serious? We don't even KNOW the long-term costs associated with covid in adults OR children, and it's unnecessarily creating the opportunity for new mutations with each person unnecessarily infected. Meanwhile, aS Pediatric ICU wards fill up across the country in counter to the bullshit you just uttered, I remain utterly unsurprised to hear you say this with a straight face given your previous posts. It's laughable that you're talking about the 'costs of care' when we're talking about *children and their families dying unnecessarily*. You've completely lost the plot in your effort to protect politicians like Abbot and DeSantis. Your effort to try to pretend them reasonable demands we surrender our common sense and accept the indefensible. I won't be doing so.

LOCKHART, Texas (KXAN) — The Lockhart Independent School District says 781 of its students are currently quarantining after recent COVID-19 surge in the school community.
    The district has 204 active cases — 181 of those are students.
    Masks totally don't work on children, as children continue to get covid at record rates due to being unvaccinated and contribute to community spread by infecting their families.

https://www.kxan.com/news/education/...vid-19-spread/

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/fa...iction/2021/08

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...0-days-report/

More than 500,000 children tested positive for Covid-19 in 3 weeks
    More than 500,000 children tested positive for Covid-19 in the US from August 5 to August 26, according to state data collected by the American Academy of Pediatrics. At least 203,962 of those cases were reported in the week of August 19 to August 26; In late June, one weekly reported number was just shy of 8,500.
    But I'm sure children don't need to wear masks to help limit spread in schools as just one part of a multi layered strategy to reduce viral transmission.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 09-06-2021 at 07:01 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I disagree with the notion that psychopaths are the only people who want a border policy.

We should make legal immigration easier, although a necessary part of that process is doing more to limit the other kind. There are definitely mixed messages on the topic. An informed person can conclude that the policy of Democrats is to make American citizenship available in an inevitable amnesty to everyone clever enough to get to the country.
    Wanting a strict border policy isn't what makes us psychopaths, it's really just a symptom of what our society has become. And again, if you were serious about reforming the immigration system, the obvious order of operations would be to FIRST clean up the legal immigration system and make sure that enough people are able to get in through the proper channels, and THEN tighten the enforcement on the border in the knowledge that the remaining people who are still insistent on crossing illegally are probably up to no good.

Of course, the GOP would never accept something like this, because their goal is simply to use immigration as a dog whistle to rally the xenophobic impulses in their voter base, not to actually solve the problem. Our immigration system has never in any sense been fair or merit based, we just keep the rules deliberately vague so that we can in practice pick and choose who gets in based on arbitrary criteria, without making explicitly racist laws or quotas like we had in the past. And it's not feasible to simply cherry pick the best and brightest either, because no such standards are being applied to the American-born population which means that immigrants will quickly outcompete and overtake the locals, leading to more xenophobic resentment.

The only real long term solution to mass migration is to stop concentrating all the wealth and resources of the planet into a few isolated enclaves, because as long as that persists we can't possibly act all shocked and appalled when people who are born outside of the fence will attempt to climb over it to enjoy the same lifestyles as the people inside. And despite what some bleeding heart types will say, this type of immigration generally isn't healthy on a societal level because it tends to entrench ethnically-based class divisions. If doctors and lawyers from Africa and Latin America are forced to find work here as maids and Uber drivers serving the whims of bratty privileged kids who don't have a fraction of their skills or knowledge, then that is a market failure because those people could be making a much greater contribution elsewhere and the labor market has simply failed to price their skillset properly.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Wanting a strict border policy isn't what makes us psychopaths, it's really just a symptom of what our society has become. And again, if you were serious about reforming the immigration system, the obvious order of operations would be to FIRST clean up the legal immigration system and make sure that enough people are able to get in through the proper channels, and THEN tighten the enforcement on the border in the knowledge that the remaining people who are still insistent on crossing illegally are probably up to no good.

Of course, the GOP would never accept something like this, because their goal is simply to use immigration as a dog whistle to rally the xenophobic impulses in their voter base, not to actually solve the problem. Our immigration system has never in any sense been fair or merit based, we just keep the rules deliberately vague so that we can in practice pick and choose who gets in based on arbitrary criteria, without making explicitly racist laws or quotas like we had in the past. And it's not feasible to simply cherry pick the best and brightest either, because no such standards are being applied to the American-born population which means that immigrants will quickly outcompete and overtake the locals, leading to more xenophobic resentment.

The only real long term solution to mass migration is to stop concentrating all the wealth and resources of the planet into a few isolated enclaves, because as long as that persists we can't possibly act all shocked and appalled when people who are born outside of the fence will attempt to climb over it to enjoy the same lifestyles as the people inside. And despite what some bleeding heart types will say, this type of immigration generally isn't healthy on a societal level because it tends to entrench ethnically-based class divisions. If doctors and lawyers from Africa and Latin America are forced to find work here as maids and Uber drivers serving the whims of bratty privileged kids who don't have a fraction of their skills or knowledge, then that is a market failure because those people could be making a much greater contribution elsewhere and the labor market has simply failed to price their skillset properly.
    They don't even need to climb over it. Or dig under it. It's just falling over due to seasonal storms in places.

It's a useless, xenophobic nativity project that doesn't address the fact that most migrants are already here. Overstaying visas is the greatest number of illegal immigrants.

So yes, I agree, anyone frothing at the mouth to want a border wall doesn't even begin to understand immigration policy. And their motivations against wanting even legal immigration are plainly steeped in bigotry at worst, and at best, they're motivated by people wanting to perpetuate a system that allows a class of people forced to be "illegal" who will work for less than the minimum wage off the books for businesses wanting to exploit them for the cheap labor. Like, that's the most "noble" reason a conservative has to oppose immigration reform. It would cut into the profit margins of businesses they are divested in that exploit marginalized people.

Meanwhile, actually finding a way to make them citizens would turn them into taxpayers, and all that money could be pooled into American infrastructure, rather than be wasted on a militarized immigration service patrolling a useless series of slats blowing over on the U.S./Mexico border.

They don't even need to climb over it. Or dig under it. It's just falling over due to seasonal storms in places.

It's a useless, xenophobic nativity project that doesn't address the fact that most migrants are already here. Overstaying visas is the greatest number of illegal immigrants.

So yes, I agree, anyone frothing at the mouth to want a border wall doesn't even begin to understand immigration policy. And their motivations against wanting even legal immigration are plainly steeped in bigotry at worst, and at best, they're motivated by people wanting to perpetuate a system that allows a class of people forced to be "illegal" who will work for less than the minimum wage off the books for businesses wanting to exploit them for the cheap labor. Like, that's the most "noble" reason a conservative has to oppose immigration reform. It would cut into the profit margins of businesses they are divested in that exploit marginalized people.

Meanwhile, actually finding a way to make them citizens would turn them into taxpayers, and all that money could be pooled into American infrastructure, rather than be wasted on a militarized immigration service patrolling a useless series of slats blowing over on the U.S./Mexico border.

But then where would we find jobs for all the border agents who kill immigrants by destroying water stations?

Most of them already are taxpayers, they just don't get much in the way of benefits from it. Some businesses require employees to have Social Security Cards so that they can fill out teh proper paperwork required by the government.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Most of them already are taxpayers, they just don't get much in the way of benefits from it. Some businesses require employees to have Social Security Cards so that they can fill out teh proper paperwork required by the government.
    And some companies find a way around that. I mean my local Golden Corral. They had a slew of Illegal immigrants working for them. Not just imigrants but people with felony records who couldnt get hired on normally. Every Friday They would go to the managers office and be paid in cash. And this was not the only one I know for a fact it happened at. I dont care what the Golden Corral Pr people say or the labor board says. I have seen it with my own eyes and knew people that were being paid like this before they were shut down because of the virus.

So there are companies who are more then willing to get around labor laws. And it was not out of the kindness of their heart to help people because sadly these people were being taken advantage of and being paid way less then people who were legally on the pay roll.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

German ambassador to China dies less than two weeks into posting

Germany’s ambassador to China, Jan Hecker, has died suddenly at the age of 54, less than two weeks into his Beijing posting.

Hecker was a former foreign policy adviser to the German chancellor, Angela Merkel.

“We are deeply saddened and shocked to learn of the sudden death of the German ambassador to China,” a statement on the embassy’s website said. “Our hearts are with his family and his friends and colleagues at this time.”

A cause of death has not been given. Hecker began his posting in Beijing on 24 August, having arrived earlier that month with his wife and three children, according to German media. Frank Rückert, Hecker’s deputy, would take over his duties for the time being, Deutsche Welle reported.

Hecker had worked with Merkel’s chancellery since 2015, coordinating refugee policy during the European migrant crisis until he was appointed head of the foreign, security and development policy department in 2017.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I'm not sure it was mentioned here but Illinois senator Dirk Durbin is getting together a Senate Judiciary Committee to examine the Texas Abortion Ban and the Supreme Court's abuse of it's "Shadow Docket"

All three liberal justices on the bench – including Associate Justices Stephen G. Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor, and Elena Kagan – have repeatedly dissented from the court's willingness to use the shadow docket in lieu of traditional judicial proceedings.

"Today's ruling illustrates just how far the Court's 'shadow-docket' decisions may depart from the usual principles of appellate process," Kagan wrote in a dissent on the court's abortion ruling. "The majority has acted without any guidance from the Court of Appeals—which is right now considering the same issues. It has reviewed only the most cursory party submissions, and then only hastily."

They also used this maneuver during Trump's presidency."Apart from its constitutional haziness, the court handed its decision down through a shadowy judicial maneuver known as a "shadow docket," a process that skirts around oral arguments and is thus reserved for highly-time sensitive rulings. Throughout the Trump administration, however, the so-called shadow docket was increasingly leveraged to issue a number of right-wing rulings on issues like the Centers for Disease Control's eviction moratorium and the White House's "remain in Mexico" immigration policy, Salon's Igor Derysh has reported"

While I don't know that it was that exact piece, it seems like Tami might have brought that up a little ways back.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Not surprisingly but a new border wall built near Douglas Arizona at the cost of 15 billions has lost 9 of it's steel gates.

The massive event left flood debris literally embedded into the border walls. The volume of water that passed through the gates rose 20 feet above Silver Creek's bank, and the water stretched about three football fields.
    “This is just the first year that the wall’s been up, so we will see this every year,” said Laiken Jordahl, a borderlands campaigner for the Center for Biological Diversity.

Jordahl said his organization, along with federal land managers, private property owners and credentialed scientist sent an opposing letter predicting the steel wall would be damaged at creeks and rivers where the soil is consistently in motion

“It feels like an ‘I told you’ moment. But on the other hand, it’s enraging, because there are billions of tax dollars that have gone into this project that are being wasted and now every single year, we’re going to spend billions more repairing, maintaining, rebuilding the structure,” Jordahl said.
    This is a region that can get flash floods every so often so they will be constantly repairing this wall.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Not surprisingly but a new border wall built near Douglas Arizona at the cost of 15 billions has lost 9 of it's steel gates.

This is a region that can get flash floods every so often so they will be constantly repairing this wall.
    I’m sure proponents of the wall will undoubtedly say it’s money well spent if it’ll keep those nasty illegals out (Newsflash: It won’t).
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

Hell of a gig for some construction company getting the life time job of upkeep on this wall.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.