Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Damned if I know. I'm not sure they have one.
    Lol.

Defence spending seems to have its own set of rules.

One of the things that stunned me about that submarine contract the Aussies moved from France to US/UK was its total price…56 billion quid for a few hundred submarines. That would pay for a lot of healthcare.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Lol.

Defence spending seems to have its own set of rules.

One of the things that stunned me about that submarine contract the Aussies moved from France to US/UK was its total price…56 billion quid for a few hundred submarines. That would pay for a lot of healthcare.
    And that’s why most people believe that America’s end won’t come from war or foreign invaders but from self implosion.

Ironically an Aussie has played a huge role in the US’s destabilization. Rupert Murdoch’s media empire has helped spread misinformation, hatred, and fear.

Meanwhile, the USA careens towards another GOP manufactured crises with the debt limit brinksmanship once again.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Meanwhile, the USA careens towards another GOP manufactured crises with the debt limit brinksmanship once again.
    Sadly, it was predictable as the sunrise that Qpublicans would roll the dice on a government shutdown after Biden won the presidency. Just like with red states intentionally letting COVID run rampant, the GQP will let things go to hell in regard to the debt limit, then blame Biden for the chaos.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Sadly, it was predictable as the sunrise that Qpublicans would roll the dice on a government shutdown after Biden won the presidency. Just like with red states intentionally letting COVID run rampant, the GQP will let things go to hell in regard to the debt limit, then blame Biden for the chaos.
    More than that, if they retake Congress next year (which is why they are pulling all this ****) they will move to impeach Biden immediately. On what? As Brando said, what do you have?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

All-New Member

Not sure if I should reply on this.... But :-)
    Im from Denmark, have friends in the states and love being there... and been several times....
    But it saddens me to see how the US gotten so torn apart.... I was planing to come again in 2022. Is it just me but with Democrats, replublicans fighting dirty, Im not sure if I wanna take the chance to visit in 2022

Kirby101 - Is it sure they retake congress next year??

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DKnerd View Post
    Im from Denmark, have friends in the states and love being there... and been several times....
    But it saddens me to see how the US gotten so torn apart.... I was planing to come again in 2022. Is it just me but with Democrats, replublicans fighting dirty, Im not sure if I wanna take the chance to visit in 2022

The US has been divided for decades but I think mob mentality and internet anonymity made it worse. I live in a swing state and, outside protests, people don't behave this way when they are out.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    And that’s why most people believe that America’s end won’t come from war or foreign invaders but from self implosion.

Ironically an Aussie has played a huge role in the US’s destabilization. Rupert Murdoch’s media empire has helped spread misinformation, hatred, and fear.
    Funny I thought it was the stolen election under the crisis of Covid that installed a President who's son takes money China and Russia and defeated the progressive candidate that was originally leading in the polls.

No, but that is what this is about. They plan to paralyze the Government and then blame the Democrats for getting nothing done. You would think voters wouldn't be fooled by this, but the past shows us they easily are. And how are the Democrats fighting dirty? This is on the Republicans.

As far as coming here, it's not as bad as the News might show. We do not have a Civil War fighting in the streets.Where in the US would you be coming to?
    Last edited by Kirby101; 09-23-2021 at 06:58 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    The US has been divided for decades but I think mob mentality and internet anonymity made it worse. I live in a swing state and, outside protests, people don't behave this way when they are out.
    Sadly, I have some relatives who can no longer hold a basic conversation without complaining about how Democrats are ruining everything. Fox news really knows how to stoke outrage about trivial matters.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I hope you don't mind me responding. Midterm elections aren't as clear cut as some people think. It's true that in recent years many presidents didn't fair so well as far as increasing the numbers of their own party members in Congress, but that isn't always the case.

Nothing is certain until the last votes are counted.

As for visiting the US, don't let politics scare you away. The US isn't in as bad a shape as you might think. As with many countries, we've had our ups and downs, and yet we are still here.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

Nah. IMO, it was Roger Ailes. He wanted to do right wing propaganda back in the '60s.

https://theweek.com/articles/880107/...x-news-created

If Fox News had a DNA test, it would trace its origins to the Nixon administration. In 1970, political consultant Roger Ailes and other Nixon aides came up with a plan to create a new TV network that would circumvent existing media and provide "pro-administration" coverage to millions. "People are lazy," the aides explained in a memo. "With television you just sit — watch — listen. The thinking is done for you." Nixon embraced the idea, saying he and his supporters needed "our own news" from a network that would lead "a brutal, vicious attack on the opposition."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xheight View Post
    Funny I thought it was the stolen election under the crisis of Covid that installed a President who's son takes money China and Russia and defeated the progressive candidate that was originally leading in the polls.
    Unlike the fast track trademarks Ivanka received from China? Not sure why people even believe that the election was stolen. It's going to be a year since Biden was elected president and the GOP has yet to prove it was stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    The reason people make these perilous journeys is because they know that, if they were to apply through the proper channels, they would almost certainly be turned away. Their best chance of getting in is simply to show up and hope that somebody will take pity on them and let them stick around long enough to drop off the radar. Under no circumstances will they simply stop coming here, the push factors are just too strong, and there aren't really isn't anywhere else for them to go, since other countries in Latin America or the Caribbean are just as hard for them to get to, but offer little in the way of jobs or quality of life. This problem is not going to go away anytime soon, and there isn't some quick solution that will fix the optics without addressing the underlying problems. There's only one way to make this problem go away, and that is to just let them in, screw what the GOP might have to say about it.
    I will confirm that from an anecdote that my landlord used tell me about how he got a SSN. A pal of his told him to go down to admin offices whenever he could and apply for one and play dumb. He was turned away a number of times but one morning they took his paperwork and there it was a real social security card thereafter. He now owns multiple buildings in addition to a contracting business. Needless to say he hires illegals himself.

It is a lax system technically and it has people looking the other way though that allows this to happen just like tax evasion by people who use cash business to run a secondary economy and grow assets that are part of the monitored economy.
    When was the last time someone insisted that everyone working remodeling their bathroom or kitchen be a citizen?
    Last edited by Xheight; 09-23-2021 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Unlike the fast track trademarks Ivanka received from China? Not sure why people even believe that the election was stolen. It's going to be a year since Biden was elected president and the GOP has yet to prove it was stolen.
    how do you prove something so massive and technical without the investigations into the big data consulting firms? If the Hunter Biden and Wuhan lab stories are just getting the air they deserve what would defrauding the American election look like in delegitimizing the government.

"The Secret Bipartisan Campaign That Saved the 2020 Election | Time" https://time.com/5936036/secret-2020-election-campaign/

It is conspiracy thinking until it isn't.