Page 225 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 1251752152212222232242252262272282292352753257251225 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,375 of 75153

Part of me hopes a place like Minneapolis does abolish the police force, just to see the train wreck we get out of it.

Once the inevitable emergency occurs, the Minnesotans can call on the city council members who voted the police out to save the day. That should be fun.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Part of me hopes a place like Minneapolis does abolish the police force, just to see the train wreck we get out of it.

Once the inevitable emergency occurs, the Minnesotans can call on the city council members who voted the police out to save the day. That should be fun.
    This is a perfect example of America's anti-blackness.

The police have been disproportionately targeting black people for over a century, beating them, killing them, and locking them up. That, does not count as a "train wreck".

The violence that might follow after the abolition of the police, that counts as a "train wreck", because that violence might affect white people a lot more than the violence committed by the police, which was disproportionately aimed at black people.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosa Luxemburg View Post

The police have been disproportionately targeting black people for over a century, beating them, killing them, and locking them up. That, does not count as a "train wreck".

The violence that might follow after the abolition of the police, that counts as a "train wreck", because that violence might affect white people a lot more than the violence committed by the police.
    It's effect everybody. That's what makes it a train wreck. I don't think the average person has a good grasp of just how much the police do in a major city like Minneaplois every single day. It's not JUST responding to violence... they're doing everything from directing traffic in accidents to acting as first responders in emergencies. Who will pick up the slack for all of that? But they'll find out soon enough, if things go that way. Should be interesting.

BANNED

It's effect everybody. That's what makes it a train wreck.
    Because it doesn't affect black people disproportionately, unlike police violence.

That's the point I was making.

Because it doesn't affect black people disproportionately, unlike police violence.

That's the point I was making.
    And I'm sure that thought will be terribly comforing to the people of Minneapolis while their city goes to hell without a police department there to help maintain it.

The plus side being the rest of the country will learn very quickly exactly why we need a police department. So it'll do more good than harm in the grand scheme of things. Assuming of course Minneapolis actually goes this route.

What is it with right wingers and this idea about abolishing/de-funding the police is wanting to full on lawless wild west/purge all the time? Absolutely nobody is asking to get rid of the police and that's it, the actual thing people want is to get rid of the traditional policing system and using the funding for better alternatives.

Ultimate Member

The violence that might follow after the abolition of the police, that counts as a "train wreck", because that violence might affect white people a lot more than the violence committed by the police, which was disproportionately aimed at black people.
    Exactly.

Do nothing to fix the problem then complain and obstruct when those who are oppressed step up to do it themselves.

Even if they disagree with you most offer no real alternative solutions.

Because they are comfortable with -- and even support -- the status quo that targets black people and other minorities.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-07-2020 at 06:57 PM.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    What is it with right wingers and this idea about abolishing/de-funding the police is wanting to full on lawless wild west/purge all the time?
    Probably goes back to the idea that the ends justify the means, which can be quite a dangerous hill to start rolling on.

Proposals for alternatives to policing are already out there. If you're actually interested, look them up.
    However, we don't know which of the proposals you would prefer over the current system.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

It's because those on the "right" generally use fear, hatred and division to control their voters and the populace in general.

Immigration, education, desegregation, LGBT marriage, abortion rights -- it's all about disempowering and controlling others.

Mets argument regarding "open borders" is based on exactly the kind of fearmongering that is common within the party.

The only difference with Trump is that he doesn't know how to pretend not to do so.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-07-2020 at 07:02 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    However, we don't know which of the proposals you would prefer over the current system.
    There is no single alternative that I want, but I'd take nearly any of them over what we have now.

I want the killing of black people by the police to stop. Getting rid of the police will accomplish that.

BANNED

When people say police brutality against black people is a problem but that we shouldn't go as far as abolishing the police, what they are saying is that black lives are an acceptable price for keeping the police around.

And I'm sure that thought will be terribly comforing to the people of Minneapolis while their city goes to hell without a police department there to help maintain it.

The plus side being the rest of the country will learn very quickly exactly why we need a police department. So it'll do more good than harm in the grand scheme of things. Assuming of course Minneapolis actually goes this route.
    The Minneapolis police seem really, really bad at their jobs. A 56% solve rate on murders, a 22% solve rate on rape, and consistent issues with civil rights violations, all for a whopping 36% of the city budget tells me that they might be beyond saving.

As far as who steps in, well, call in medical professionals to deal with wellness checks and the mentally ill. Provide some of that extensive budget to reimburse the state and county for an increased presence from other agencies until the city law enforcement is rebuilt. Invest in doing stuff to prevent crimes rather than just punishing them.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    The Minneapolis police seem really, really bad at their jobs. A 56% solve rate on murders, a 22% solve rate on rape, and consistent issues with civil rights violations, all for a whopping 36% of the city budget tells me that they might be beyond saving.

As far as who steps in, well, call in medical professionals to deal with wellness checks and the mentally ill. Provide some of that extensive budget to reimburse the state and county for an increased presence from other agencies until the city law enforcement is rebuilt. Invest in doing stuff to prevent crimes rather than just punishing them.
    Unlike the cops, they probably won't kill the person they are checking up on.