Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Yeah, it's all true. 400 and counting with three months left in 2021 with seemingly no end in sight. However, unlike Frank, I'm unarmed, still, I take precautions by keeping my doors locked and never going out at night. Most of the murders have been a result of turf wars over drugs, beefs gone nuclear, robberies and the rare crimes of passion. For sure, it's not all that safe here, but I manage to survive. Thanks for your concern.
    Oh fo shure. I think you a good idea of keeping the doors locked and staying in at night. Stay safe.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member

Texas reduces Black and Hispanic majority congressional districts in proposed map, despite people of color fueling population growth

The proposed congressional map also increases the number of districts where Trump had a majority of voters over Biden in 2020 and protects Republican incumbents who might have been vulnerable by packing their districts with more Trump voters.
    Texas lawmakers on Monday released their first draft of a new congressional map which would largely protect incumbents while reducing the number of districts with Black and Hispanic majorities despite the state gaining two new seats in Congress. The map proposes fewer districts with Black and Hispanic majorities, even though the population of Asian, Black and Hispanic Texans outpaced white Texans over the last decade.

Republicans constructed the map with incumbent protection in mind — a strategy that focused on bolstering vulnerable GOP seats rather than aggressively adding new seats that could flip from blue to red. However, the map does in fact strengthen Republican positioning overall in Texas, going from 22 to 25 districts that voted for Donald Trump in 2020. The number of congressional districts that voted for Joe Biden would shrink by one, from 14 to 13.
    While many incumbents appear safe in these maps, others were drawn into districts that overlap with one another — for example, the proposed map pits Houston Republican Rep. Dan Crenshaw against Democrat Rep. Sylvia Garcia. It also pits two Houston Democrats — Reps. Al Green and Sheila Jackson Lee — against each other.
    The redrawing of district maps is intended to reflect population growth captured by the latest census. People of color accounted for 95% of the state's growth over the last decade, but in the new map there's one less Hispanic majority district and zero districts with a Black majority. The latest census results show Hispanic Texans nearly match the number of white Texans.
    Last edited by kidfresh512; 09-27-2021 at 01:27 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

All to protect a horribly misguided white superiority. Pathetic.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Arent there laws like that on the books now? I know in the Dayton mass shooting the guy who gave the shooter the gun was arrested charged and sentenced for giving him the gun.

And there are other places where there is a law like that on the books. Punish the person who gave them the gun. The problem is enforcing it and charging people.
    Straw purchases are illegal. It's just not enforced often enough.

https://www.npr.org/2015/12/09/45905...t-away-with-it

One problem is that many of the suspects will be otherwise sympathetic people (IE- a felon's retired aunt.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

What if America Had Learned From New York City?

This is about how New Yorkers are carrying on after we lost 34,000 of our neighbors and were left to pile our dead in refrigerated trailers. This is about what we have left.

And it’s about how so many around the country have learned so little from our grief.

Early in the pandemic, when New York City was the epicenter of Covid in the United States, large swaths of the country looked on at our suffering but apparently found it impossible to see themselves in us. How many lives could have been saved if they had?

New York City has always been, for some Americans, a punching bag. They mock our (mostly) liberal politics and wonder why we’d want to live in what they imagine to be a dystopian urban wasteland. They call us sinners and tell us to find Republican religion. Every decade or so, they pronounce us dead. Like most haters, they’re obsessed with us.
    It is painful to sit in New York, after all we went through, and watch the preventable tragedy unfolding in many parts of the country. Idaho hospitals are being instructed to ration care if needed. In the past two weeks, Alabama has reported more deaths per capita than any other state.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

If the pandemic, and everything that followed in terms of masking and the vaccine hadn't been cynically politicized by the GQP, right wingers and Faux News, things today wouldn't be nearly as bad as they currently are, and the death toll wouldn't be escalating. Bottom line: we've learned nothing.

BANNED

We learned to get rid of the guy at the top when he's responsible for the deaths of a large number of people because of his handling of the Corona virus, though we didn't do it with the flimsy excuse of sexual harassment so he could bow out peacefully and protect the people around him from a possible investigation and prosecution.

Ultimate Member

If the pandemic, and everything that followed in terms of masking and the vaccine hadn't been cynically politicized by the GQP, right wingers and Faux News, things today wouldn't be nearly as bad as they currently are, and the death toll wouldn't be escalating. Bottom line: we've learned nothing.
    Seriously.

There'd always be anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers, but Trump and his circus gave them legitimacy. Their refusal to take basic measures allowed those basic safety measures to inflict the most harm while doing the least amount of good.

Republicans Filibuster Bill Averting Government Shutdown, Debt Default

Congress has only a few days to act before the federal government shuts down and begins furloughing workers in the middle of a pandemic. Show of hands if you're surprised at this development. But hey, it's not like anyone didn't see Qpublicans pulling THAT stunt.

Republicans Filibuster Bill Averting Government Shutdown, Debt Default

Congress has only a few days to act before the federal government shuts down and begins furloughing workers in the middle of a pandemic. Show of hands if you're surprised at this development. But hey, it's not like anyone didn't see Qpublicans pulling THAT stunt.
    My father is 75, a veteran living off of an income of his Social Security Benefits and VA Benefits... I've told him for like a year, "Leave one month's rent and utilities in your bank account at all times, don't go lower than that..."

And the first time, he looked at me weird, he's spent whatever he's had his whole life, but I had to explain, "Do you trust that Mitch McConnell won't be a spiteful f*** and cause another government shutdown through some bizarre filibuster process, make sure your monthly payments don't drop on time, and you're late on rent?" He would nod, but still thought I was being overcautious.

Friday, he told me, "Goddamn it if you weren't right. That stupid f***ing turtle-looking motherf***er is that much of an ***hole."
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    My father is 75, a veteran living off of an income of his Social Security Benefits and VA Benefits... I've told him for like a year, "Leave one month's rent and utilities in your bank account at all times, don't go lower than that..."

And the first time, he looked at me weird, he's spent whatever he's had his whole life, but I had to explain, "Do you trust that Mitch McConnell won't be a spiteful f*** and cause another government shutdown through some bizarre filibuster process, make sure your monthly payments don't drop on time, and you're late on rent?" He would nod, but still thought I was being overcautious.

Friday, he told me, "Goddamn it if you weren't right. That stupid f***ing turtle-looking motherf***er is that much of an ***hole."
    I'm sure that same conversation (minus the profanity perhaps) was being held in households from coast to coast as nervous citizens who depend on the government to keep things running smoothly in their lives prepare for things to go down the toilet. AGAIN. Meanwhile, I wonder what Joe Manchin is thinking because Kentucky Fried Turtle and Qpublicans are using his beloved filibuster to screw everyone over.

I'm sure that same conversation (minus the profanity perhaps) was being held in households from coast to coast as nervous citizens who depend on the government to keep things running smoothly in their lives prepare for things to go down the toilet. AGAIN. Meanwhile, I wonder what Joe Manchin is thinking because Kentucky Fried Turtle and Qpublicans are using his beloved filibuster to screw everyone over.
    I'm more afraid that others didn't have the foresight I did.

I hope that because of it, they'll have the hindsight to vote against Republicans for doing this for NO F***ING REASON in a year's time.

The cynic in me says they won't.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

If Manchin has any brains he'd call the Democratic Party and go quick. "I'll side with EVERY PIECE of Legalistation you have presented...and next we abolish fillibuster next." Then watch Mitch do a OMG gasp. Manchin can point at this as why it has to end. "One political party has literally decided to betray the American people with callous actions. I had to change my stance to save our country as millions would be hurt."
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    If Manchin has any brains he'd call the Democratic Party and go quick. "I'll side with EVERY PIECE of Legalistation you have presented...and next we abolish fillibuster next." Then watch Mitch do a OMG gasp. Manchin can point at this as why it has to end. "One political party has literally decided to betray the American people with callous actions. I had to change my stance to save our country as millions would be hurt."
    100% agreed.

McConnell and the GOP are giving Manchin and Sinema an opportunity to change their stance, and to say they're doing it for the good of the country.

And if they still can't, they're showing us exactly how useless of idiots they are.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    100% agreed.

McConnell and the GOP are giving Manchin and Sinema an opportunity to change their stance, and to say they're doing it for the good of the country.

And if they still can't, they're showing us exactly how useless of idiots they are.
    In the case of Manchin, I think he's still living under the delusion that the filibuster is needed and bipartisanship remains an achievable goal. As for Sinema, I suspect she flat out doesn't give a **** about millions of people about to go through hell if there's a shutdown.