BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Not attempting to start a BoTh SiDeS debate, but apparently Dave Chappelle is being targeted for comments about the LGBTQA+ community in his new standup special on Netflix: https://www.gq.com/story/chappelle-t...=pocket-newtab

Anybody else able to weigh in on this? I'm probably not the best person to opine on this matter because I find humor in just about everything, so I certainly didn't share the author's reaction to watching this special. I've observed over the years that right-leaning individuals I know personally have been losing any sort of sense of humor they may have once possessed. I don't have them round for parties anymore. Are people on the left starting to suffer the same fate?
    Sure, there are extremes on both sides and those who want to silence any dissenting opinions. It's always easier to live in our individual bubbles and feel superior when you can label and dismiss anyone who might disagree with you. This applies whether you're doing it for religious/blasphemy reasons or social justice ones. Bill Maher's '90s show (that was canceled by backlash from the right) was called "Politically Incorrect" in response to the leftwing political correctness movement.

As to humor, for me the best stand-up humor comes from pointing out absurdities or inconsistencies in society and what we readily accept or take for granted. Observational humor. George Carlin was the master of this, and I'm sure for many reasons he'd be canceled on the left as he was hated on the right for continuously s##tting on religion.

More than ever politics has become almost religious or cult-like, with those not quoting chapter and verse or daring to question narratives being quickly shouted down, dog-piled on, canceled, etc. See Republicans who stood up to Trump in the last election for trying to steal it, and see it among those who question Biden (especially those who did so leading up to the election) from the center-left.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I've read a few comments comparing Chapelle's Daphne story to the "Some of my best friends are black" trope, but if Daphne's own family is confirming the story, then I'm buying it. And yes, even as someone who is definitely on the left, I do think some on the left have lost their sense of humor, at least when the jokes hit close to home.
    Twenty, thirty or forty years ago, no one would've batted an eye at such humor. Today however, marginalized groups are flat out refusing to be made the butt of often crude, vulgar, perhaps even hateful jokes and are letting comedians know in no uncertain terms that they aren't putting up with that nonsense. Of course, right wingers and conservatives pooh-pooh at those of the left raising a stink, calling them "snowflakes" while bemoaning "cancel culture". This is just me, but I'd rather not have a sense of humor than enjoy a laugh at someone else's expense, maybe even discomfort.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Most of this type of comedy is about the comedians and the audience majority working through some internal struggle through humor. Chapelle has said that the butt of his jokes was intended to be white people, and points out that white queers can still be bigots against blacks.

But from what I have seen and read of the routine, he did go to some ugly places regarding trans people in particular. So I really don't find any fault with the backlash.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

"The current two-party system is one of the worst case scenarios that the founding fathers were trying to avoid." -- Andrew Yang

"Our system is designed to be acutely vulnerable to authoritarianism - largely because the founders never imagined only 2 national parties. That’s what needs to change as quickly as possible. " -- Andrew Yang

There are five or six major parties in the German Bundestag Parliament.

There are 3 or 4 major parties in Canadian parliament.

There are 4 major parties in the UK parliament.

There are 6 major parties in French parliament.

Green Party has a similar ideology and foreign policy to the Democratic Party. There must be some Democrats who should be dissatisfied with the way their party leadership are doing things. If they can come to their senses, they should vote green.

Ultimate Member

Not attempting to start a BoTh SiDeS debate, but apparently Dave Chappelle is being targeted for comments about the LGBTQA+ community in his new standup special on Netflix: https://www.gq.com/story/chappelle-t...=pocket-newtab

Anybody else able to weigh in on this? I'm probably not the best person to opine on this matter because I find humor in just about everything, so I certainly didn't share the author's reaction to watching this special. I've observed over the years that right-leaning individuals I know personally have been losing any sort of sense of humor they may have once possessed. I don't have them round for parties anymore. Are people on the left starting to suffer the same fate?
    A good rule of thumb for comedy is not to punch down.

Another good rule of thumb is not to identify as part of a hateful exclusionary group.

Doing both? Screw 'em. Trail blazers can burn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    "The current two-party system is one of the worst case scenarios that the founding fathers were trying to avoid." -- Andrew Yang

"Our system is designed to be acutely vulnerable to authoritarianism - largely because the founders never imagined only 2 national parties. That’s what needs to change as quickly as possible. " -- Andrew Yang

Green Party has a similar ideology and foreign policy to the Democratic Party. There must be some Democrats who should be dissatisfied with the way their party leadership are doing things. If they can come to their senses, they should vote green.
    First of all, Andrew Yang is hardly the voice of reason we’re all desperately searching from for to lead us out of these dark times.
    Secondly, peeling votes away from Democratic candidates is the last thing this country needs when the specter of a Republican Presidency or god forbid another four to unlimited years of Trump is hanging over our heads.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 10-14-2021 at 11:19 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

My bad wrong thread.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I am right now living in a country where it ain't even "Whoa..." for a trans person to take a beating while folks laugh and it winds up on Worldstarhiphop.

Now, let's change that group to young black men who far too regularly get beaten/killed by the police.

If some guy had a comedy bit about how he saw the humor in how that sometimes plays out and said Dave needed to get off of his back about his artistic freedom, would Dave say "Let that guy do his thing..."?

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post

More like...

"It is something that they could not even have wrapped their minds around..."

I've been a Chappelle fan going back to Half Baked...

And I'm done. Like, if this was a one-off thing? Okay, whatever. But he's actively made jokes at the expense of a marginalized group in the Trans community, and every time I cringed, and was like, "Okay, not good, but it's over..."

He faced any criticism, and decided to keep talking about how it really wasn't that bad because...

Which made it worse. And there was more criticism.

And then he would double back.

And face more outrage.

And now, he dedicated almost HALF of a comedy special to revisiting his opinions on transgender people. Like, at some point, it's not funny because it's a guy digging a deeper hole against a group that faces intense bigotry, and Chappelle doesn't want to just LET IT GO.

The only way this ends up being redeemable on any level would be if it's all an act to prove how stupid it is to keep digging in to try to hand wave away bigotry towards any group. As that level of Andy Kaufman investment to the bit wouldn't be known until the final punchline happens, he's just being an insensitive ***hole.

It is... incredibly disappointing.

Eddie Murphy caught s*** once upon a time because his 1980s stand up specials, Delirious and Raw had a ton of homophobic and misogynistic humor in them. And it shaped culture in that moment. He was the biggest comedy star in the world, putting his thoughts on women and gays out there... Do you know what happened to Eddie Murphy? At some point, he grew the f*** up, and stopped making jokes at the expense of gays and women. He's still funny, but there's a lot more responsibility in what he does when he performs.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

And, man...

Who put Mayor Pete into witness protection?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    And, man...

Who put Mayor Pete into witness protection?
    He adopted a kid, forgive him if he's starting a family and not running in front of every camera.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    He adopted a kid, forgive him if he's starting a family and not running in front of every camera.
    I could care less about the camera...

Maybe doing the job?

Whole other story.

As for the family?

If it really needs that much focus, step aside.

No one's going to think any less of someone for actually putting their family first.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    As for the family?

If it really needs that much focus, step aside.

No one's going to think any less of someone for actually putting their family first.
    Government employees get paternity leave, and he's taking it.

Get off it.