Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    This. I usually vote in person, but last year, before there was a vaccine, I didn't want to take any more chances than I was already taking just by going into work every day.
    That was clearly the rationale and reason behind the success of the early voting and mail ins. And its easy to correlate those taking advantage the most since the GOP and right wing media at the time kept downplaying precautions and mask wearing etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MacrossPlus View Post
    The typical wolf in sheep's clothing, her being a member of the green party should've been a huge red flag
    Why is that? Could it have anything to do with some people resist the idea that signing up with the Democratic Party as a lifelong commitment to hypocrisy and compromise.

Even Bernie Balked (Politico's word today not mine) at where the rubber meets the road to actually accomplishing progressive agenda items. Hey, but we got a few weeks of Parental leave. (Seriously isn't his career done and should draw a line in the sand somewhere. A lot of the Squad is young so I can see having an eye on the future but Bernie has what for the history books?)

The plain fact is that the party is led by the moderate oligarchs and no revolution is forthcoming like it did in the Republican Party to put the populists in charge. If you are going to look out for number one then you might as well go all in and cash out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The idea that she's just bought seems a bit flawed.
    If it's just about the money, there should be plenty of rich progressives able to make sure she can be just as wealthy as a standard Democrat, and help her avoid the backlash of pissing off the left-wing base.
    One argument that was interesting was how she may be influenced by uncompromising green party roots.
    https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021...l-it-pass.html
    That NY mag psycho profile has got to be one of the most self serving and convoluted attempts to trash principle and defend politics I have seen in a while. But to go to your point about Super PAC money and going the Staci Abrams route, an example of the bought and sold, that is more understandable if you want to bed down with Democrats for the long term but that assumes that one BELIEVES that the Democratic party is the true protector of the values the motivate Green Style progressives. Abrams deep down still thinks that what ever the Dems need to do to win is consequentialist and justifies means.
    Last edited by Xheight; 10-29-2021 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    worst ad ever. They spent all the money and apparently all the creativity on the special effect and had nothing left over.
    BTW I support environmental initiatives like green energy, lower carbon and plastic reduction. This is just embarrassing to even try and explain to kids. Ummm he is extinct but he is here saying that being extinct is not good .....

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Wow, so MAGA has infiltrated hip hop. A Trump worshipping rapper has the top spot on iTunes charts
    Lil Wayne and Kanye have been trump supporters for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Xheight View Post
    worst ad ever. They spent all the money and apparently all the creativity on the special effect and had nothing left over.
    BTW I support environmental initiatives like green energy, lower carbon and plastic reduction. This is just embarrassing to even try and explain to kids. Ummm he is extinct but he is here saying that being extinct is not good .....
    I would respectfully disagree with you. I think it is a very good ad, and it makes it 's case very well and with a lot of creativity.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

We had split government in 2019 and 2020.
    Democrats have had both branches of Congress, and the presidency this year, but it's unlikely to last.

I don't think Democrats are going for majoritarianism though.

If they were, they would focus exclusively on things that are popular, rather than trying to appease the base.

A problem in modern politics is that both sides prefer narrow wins with ambitious agendas.
    We do see that rhetoric l every four years that the electoral college is a sham or that weighted systems need to be used or that the the Senate is a rigged system,
    right up to the invoking voter suppression that is dependent on the assumption of a latent majority.

Nor is it just Rhetoric as efforts to rework counts are taken up in statehood and redistricting questions down to the filibuster issue.
    Assuming that it is all just a pendulum swinging back and forth in a giant machine is to ignore or wish away two points in that we have seen parties come and go through US history as well as shift dramatically in the hold on that same latent majority.
    FDR resituated the Democrats and ideas of government for generations. Secondly, is that only the professional politician class is interested in the status quo that is the game of politics and progressives and increasingly the right are about creating the next paradigm shift for government. It is what gets them out of bed every morning and convincing them that the system is worth keeping is, for them, just a tactical move to getting where they want to go. Which goes to you point about doing what is popular and the easy answer of just getting it wrong not as a matter of principle which we have seen in the BBB wrangle. Popular proposals have gone by the wayside and wins are not even wins just simply something to point to. Which isn't to say that there are not people who are vague in their ideology and are cooking up the margin for the win be that data driven polling or more suspicious ballot harvesting.
    Last edited by Xheight; 10-29-2021 at 09:57 AM.

I would respectfully disagree with you. I think it is a very good ad, and it makes it 's case very well and with a lot of creativity.
    Like a lot of creative product I am sure people disagree and this clearly overcame a lot of obstacles to get produced but I guess I am not hearing the debate here from you. For me, one can't simply line up ideas and expect them to have cohesion like a crossword puzzle theme especially in a didactic work. Dinosaur, extinct, fossil, fuel, world body, UN all present but this isn't Dennis Hopper's The Last Movie to dispense with logical delineation. Kids in my experience seize on inconsistencies as much as overlook them if that is the intended audience here.

Like a lot of creative product I am sure people disagree and this clearly overcame a lot of obstacles to get produced but I guess I am not hearing the debate here from you. For me, one can't simply line up ideas and expect them to have cohesion like a crossword puzzle theme especially in a didactic work. Dinosaur, extinct, fossil, fuel, world body, UN all present but this isn't Dennis Hopper's The Last Movie to dispense with logical delineation. Kids in my experience seize on inconsistencies as much as overlook them if that is the intended audience here.
    You are taking a simple message, creatively presented, and insisting on finding complexity within it. There is no debate here. At least none for those of us with a background in science.

Anyone who can't make the simple connection, might need to do some research. Which, is also a valid way to get the message across. If you do not understand this simple message, and don't have the curiosity to read up on the subject, then no level of debate will ever make a difference.

I don't spend my time debating unless there is a grey area that needs to be explored. I don't see any grey area here.

You are taking a simple message, creatively presented, and insisting on finding complexity within it. There is no debate here. At least none for those of us with a background in science.

Anyone who can't make the simple connection, might need to do some research. Which, is also a valid way to get the message across. If you do not understand this simple message, and don't have the curiosity to read up on the subject, then no level of debate will ever make a difference.

I don't spend my time debating unless there is a grey area that needs to be explored. I don't see any grey area here.
    No research is required to feel if something is well told, which I believe this ad has not done, which I also grant is your opinion to hold given some reasoning behind it. Saying it was "creatively presented" doesn't endow it with creativity however. Every worthwhile review I have ever read at least points to something in the text or artifact that demonstrates the assessment. I am not looking to debate it, as I think I have said enough already about the illogic, only that you provide us with more than a clip. Like I said as well I am not talking about the intended subject and would be just as critical of a bad toothpaste ad if I thought the subject worthy of my and your time.

Astonishing Member

No research is required to feel if something is well told, which I believe this ad has not done, which I also grant is your opinion to hold given some reasoning behind it. Saying it was "creatively presented" doesn't endow it with creativity however. Every worthwhile review I have ever read at least points to something in the text or artifact that demonstrates the assessment. I am not looking to debate it, as I think I have said enough already about the illogic, only that you provide us with more than a clip. Like I said as well I am not talking about the intended subject and would be just as critical of a bad toothpaste ad if I thought the subject worthy of my and your time.
    And that's the problem with republicans.

One of the first things kids are interested in learning about is dinosaurs. So they know that they're extinct. They also know that they probably couldn't talk. But if they don't feel a need to point out inconsistencies in the Flintstones, they won't feel the need to point out inconsistencies here. Most kids are not that pedantic.
    Last edited by Malvolio; 10-29-2021 at 10:23 AM.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    One of the first things kids are interested in learning about is dinosaurs. So they know that they're extinct. They also know that they probably couldn't talk. But if they don't feel a need to point out inconsistencies in the Flintstones, they won't feel the need to point out inconsistencies here. Most kids are not that pedantic.
    I am pretty sure that was the pitch to the producers and I don't have a problem with talking animals but I and the innate pedantic part of kids and basic logic is you don't point out that you shouldn't be there at all. You suspend logic for a reason like in Jurassic park, Barney doesn't point to his parents having died millions of years ago. This ad says I shouldn't be here but I am.
    Huh-9jjr6n.jpg

Another problem with many conservatives, they really don't understand young people. children up to teenagers. Too many times I've read about how ov ver protective they are, how they underestimate their children and treat them as lacking in any intelligence.

A teacher recently told me about how her students have taken to wearing masks far better than the adults. They were them without issues, they know when to keep them up and when to take them down to eat, and they never forget them or let the masks droop down below their noses.

Children should not be underestimated or devalued.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Show of hands if anyone’s surprised:

Of Course Caitlyn Jenner Is Defending Dave Chappelle
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Mighty Member

People say birds are dinos, so they aren't even extinct.