Philadelphia to become first major US city to ban police from stopping drivers for low-level traffic violations

(CNN)When Philadelphia's mayor signs landmark legislation as soon as this week, the city will become the first major US city to ban police from stopping drivers for low-level traffic violations -- stops that studies show target Black drivers at disproportionately higher rates.

The Driving Equality Bill, passed 14-2 by the city council on October 14, categorizes certain motor vehicle code violations as "primary violations," which allow officers to pull people over in the name of public safety, and "secondary violations" that don't meet the criteria for a lawful traffic stop, according to the office of Councilmember Isaiah Thomas, who authored the bill.

The bill will take effect 120 days after Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney signs it into law, which his office said he intends to do.

While Philadelphia is the largest city to ban such traffic stops, some local and state governments have also enacted similar policies.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Red Flags

-----------

Bloodshed

---------------

Contagion
    A disaster in EVERY sense of the word. And yet, the GQP and right wingers are jonesing to get Trump in the White House a second time. God only knows what would happen if that nightmare were to come to pass.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It's like people don't understand the concept of eradicating a disease.
    I don't think you want that to be the expectation.

A majority of epidemiologists believe it is very likely that the coronavirus will be endemic, that it will not go away. A combined 89 percent believe it's likely or very likely that it will become endemic.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00396-2

There is an optimistic view that if everyone would just get vaccinated and socially distance for a few weeks, the disease will disappear. But the vaccine isn't expected to be available to everyone in the world for another two years, so that's probably unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    For those of us who aren't getting their news from a right-wing echo chamber, we realize that vaccines have been mandated for many, including public school children, for many, many decades.

And they've worked. And ***holes looking for loopholes because of anti-vaxx idiocy are the reason why many communicable diseases weren't wiped out like they were due to mandates that eliminated polio and smallpox. We were close on measles, and then... this ideology, and morons who repeat it online because of "muh freedom", have left the door open so folks could needlessly die because they were afraid to get a shot.

If you keep spreading that message and those attitudes, you're getting more people killed from preventable disease, and helping your party further resemble a death cult, Mets.
    It seems worrisome to suggest that pointing out something accurate (that there is an argument that vaccination is a good thing, but it shouldn't be mandated in the context of a discussion about Covid-19 where the vaccines were made available through emergency use authorization less than a year ago) is getting people killed.

I wasn't even suggesting vaccine mandates are bad, or unmerited when it comes to Covid-19. However, we should be able to discuss all facets of politics openly and honestly, including the implications of the views held by other people.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

There are companies in poorer countries that are begging for the vaccine ingredients from Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson and Johnson but they refuse to share and would rather only help weather nations for their own profit.

And Mister Mets I agree that this is something we will have to live with. The definition of fully vaxed will soon change as endless boosters become needed to have jobs. "Take your booster every year like a good citizen and increase the wealth of the pharmaceutical companies or phase punishment from the government."

States such as Florida and Texas are heavily criticized for moving on and living life normally even with COVID present but unless more get in that mindset this will never end.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    "Vaccines can save lives, both mine and others, but I should be making that choice!"

It's like the adult version of not eating your veggies.

Only with endangering public health
    "Don't tell me not to run with scissors," says the people actively chasing you down trying to stab you with scissors.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    "Don't tell me not to run with scissors," says the people actively chasing you down trying to stab you with scissors.
    "Our choice is our right!"

"Same with abortion?"

"God no, why would you even ask?"

Anyone hear about the Tokyo subway attack from the man dressed as Joker?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...o-train-attack
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    "Our choice is our right!"

"Same with abortion?"

"God no, why would you even ask?"
    The GOP is all about personal choice. As long as you dont want an abortion, want to work to keep your business or school safe with mask and vaccine mandates, and you can have your personal choice to vote as long as you are not a POC or voting for Dems,

But yep all about personal choices.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Devil View Post
    There are companies in poorer countries that are begging for the vaccine ingredients from Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson and Johnson but they refuse to share and would rather only help weather nations for their own profit.

And Mister Mets I agree that this is something we will have to live with. The definition of fully vaxed will soon change as endless boosters become needed to have jobs. "Take your booster every year like a good citizen and increase the wealth of the pharmaceutical companies or phase punishment from the government."

States such as Florida and Texas are heavily criticized for moving on and living life normally even with COVID present but unless more get in that mindset this will never end.
    You have it backwards, it's states like Florida and Texas that are keeping it going.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Red Flags

-----------

Bloodshed

---------------

Contagion
    Trump gleefully watched violence unfolding on television for over THREE HOURS, as everyone pleaded with him to do ANYTHING to stop it.

It was a coup attempt. It always was.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't think you want that to be the expectation.

A majority of epidemiologists believe it is very likely that the coronavirus will be endemic, that it will not go away. A combined 89 percent believe it's likely or very likely that it will become endemic.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00396-2

There is an optimistic view that if everyone would just get vaccinated and socially distance for a few weeks, the disease will disappear. But the vaccine isn't expected to be available to everyone in the world for another two years, so that's probably unrealistic.

It seems worrisome to suggest that pointing out something accurate (that there is an argument that vaccination is a good thing, but it shouldn't be mandated in the context of a discussion about Covid-19 where the vaccines were made available through emergency use authorization less than a year ago) is getting people killed.

I wasn't even suggesting vaccine mandates are bad, or unmerited when it comes to Covid-19. However, we should be able to discuss all facets of politics openly and honestly, including the implications of the views held by other people.
    Hey.

There isn't an argument, you're denying FACTS. Vaccines work.

Stop spreading your party's propaganda that gets people killed. I don't know how many posts in a row I need to say it before you stop participating in casual genocide by right-wing rhetoric.

Then again, the rebrand for your party is to enjoy the suffering for others, so ideologically, this tracks. But it's still wrong, and just stop.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Hey.

There isn't an argument, you're denying FACTS. Vaccines work.

Stop spreading your party's propaganda that gets people killed. I don't know how many posts in a row I need to say it before you stop participating in casual genocide by right-wing rhetoric.

Then again, the rebrand for your party is to enjoy the suffering for others, so ideologically, this tracks. But it's still wrong, and just stop.
    The vaccines do work at lowering symptoms but according to the CDC they do not stop someone from spreading or catching COVID.

For me I am concerned about being required to get jabbed whenever the pharmaceutical company wants some more money. So endless jabbing for the same sickness is where I see us going and I'm not a fan.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

The vaccines do work at lowering symptoms but according to the CDC they do not stop someone from spreading or catching COVID.

For me I am concerned about being required to get jabbed whenever the pharmaceutical company wants some more money. So endless jabbing for the same sickness is where I see us going and I'm not a fan.
    ...it has nothing to do with money...it's people's lives.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

Out of curiosity, can you post a link to your info?

The vaccines greatly reduce the odds of infection, and also extremely reduce the chance of lethal complications of Covid-19, at about a rate of 99%, and that less than 1% are usually extremely elderly and vulnerable patients.

Do not bury the lede. People need to get vaccinated. This isn't an argument. It is fact.