Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Just because the Democrats won the White House, the senate and the House last year doesn't mean they should let their guard down. They need to pay attention to the voters and listen to what they want.

One state just flipped red. another state nearly flipped red. Not a good sign for the Democratic Party.
    Or it is, considering most year after the presidential elections elections do flip, in this case only one state flipped.

I feel bad for VA, but I'm actually optimistic about 2022. Still, Democrats need to step up their game and be a whole lot smarter about the campaigns.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    A positive that points to that your fingers are slipping on a grip that you just barely had to start with.

While I will always take it?

It's important to be honest about what it actually is.
    WATCH: As many debate how the Democrats lost Virginia, @AriMelber turns to history to point out that the party in power in the White House typically loses the next year's races as the opposition mobilizes

I'm not saying that the Democrats should lay back and chill. I'm saying that Democrats should still work as hard as possible to make sure that the House and Senate stay in the hands off the Democrats as long gas it takes to straighten out this country.
    Last edited by Tami; 11-03-2021 at 04:02 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Murphy is being declared the winner by multiple news outlets, but a recount is still a possibility. The last of the votes are still being counted.
    A recount is a possibility but it is unlikely to change anything (If recounts often swung the other way, there would be a moral imperative to go for it whenever there was any question.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Politely, Mets, the bill required reconciliation because that was the intra-democratic party agreement on the party's priorities. The only reason nothing has happened is because of Joe Manchin and Kirsten Sinema, both of whom have removed nearly every popular policy from the BBB reconciliation bill and continue to blast their own party on the regular and which the media continually reports on what's been 'cut' from the bill. The drip-drip-drip nature of the cuts and the death of popular policies have a lot to do what happened, and there are exactly two democrats to blame for that. Passing the infrastructure bill *might* have helped, but I don't think it would have been transformative on an election that was run on bias against transgender people, book bannings, and 'critical white people don't wanna learn their history' theory.
    I understand the intraparty agreement that tied the two bills together.

I think it's a bad policy. It makes it awkward for people to just support the infrastructure bill when it's seen as part of a package with a different bill.

The progressives holding it hostage also seems a bit weird since they seem to support the infrastructure bill on the merits. If the situation were reversed, and conservative Republicans refused to vote for a bill that has some Democratic votes unless there was a promise to support a bill that can pass on the barest party line vote, I would feel the same way. Bills should pass on their merits.

There was a roughly 10 point swing from Northam's numbers in 2017 and Biden's numbers in 2020, so while the failure to pass an infrastructure bill probably isn't the only reason McAuliffe lost a chance for a second stint as Governor, it didn't help and it could easily have given Youngkin the two point boost that made the difference.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Senate GOP blocks latest Dem push for voting reform

Senate Republicans on Wednesday blocked a fourth Democratic attempt to begin considering elections and voting legislation on the floor, casting fresh doubt on the majority party's ability to enact any type of reform this Congress.

In a 50-49 vote, Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) joined Democrats to move forward on legislation that would restore a requirement that certain jurisdictions receive a green light from the Justice Department or a D.C.-based federal court before changing voting laws or procedure.

The Senate tried to take up the bill, named after the late Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.), after Republicans unanimously blocked Democrats’ separate, sweeping elections and ethics overhaul plan, which the GOP has panned as an effort to federalize elections. Wednesday’s latest GOP blow to voting legislation is likely to renew Democratic calls to move forward without Republicans by changing the Senate filibuster rules.
    As expected. All the repeated attempts do is hopefully put pressure on Manchin and Sinema. They both know the GOP is trying to suppress minority votes anywhere they can. And the entire Texas state democratic delegation had to strategically flee to DC to put pressure on Congress to do something at the federal level.

I noticed that he left out that the Democratic House was Bane listening to Az-Bats say "Prepare To Be Mugged..." last year.

Considering the overall elections across the country, including Mayor's races, I think the Democrats aren't doing as bad as they could (maybe even should) have.
    Yes, most US cities usually vote blue, because the Democrats understand the urban voters but not the rural voters. That is why rural states including Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Utah, West Virginia and Wyoming are red states. Those states hardy have any cities as big as New York City. Wyoming's largest city population never exceeded 70,000 people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheyenne,_Wyoming

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I understand the intraparty agreement that tied the two bills together.

I think it's a bad policy. It makes it awkward for people to just support the infrastructure bill when it's seen as part of a package with a different bill.

The progressives holding it hostage also seems a bit weird since they seem to support the infrastructure bill on the merits. If the situation were reversed, and conservative Republicans refused to vote for a bill that has some Democratic votes unless there was a promise to support a bill that can pass on the barest party line vote, I would feel the same way. Bills should pass on their merits.

There was a roughly 10 point swing from Northam's numbers in 2017 and Biden's numbers in 2020, so while the failure to pass an infrastructure bill probably isn't the only reason McAuliffe lost a chance for a second stint as Governor, it didn't help and it could easily have given Youngkin the two point boost that made the difference.
    I don't disagree.

That said, I understand progressives being skeptical about promises to revisit a subject later. The same thing happened with the stimulus package passed in February of 2009. That was intended to be part one of an overall recovery package designed to aide the flailing economy. Democrats never mobilized to do anything larger again. Given Manchin and Sinema's ever-changing list of demands, it seems that progressives worry they may not get anything at all once the infrastructure bill passes.

The whole thing could've been avoided if there had just been a little more intraparty trust. But there wasn't. And now here we are with a Republican taking the governor's mansion in Virginia. At the very least, Biden would probably be more popular today if he had a bill he could sign that was going to improve economic circumstances, roads, bridges, internet access, and provide jobs for people.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I dont think it helps the Dems that every day on the News we hear "Dems working on the bill. A vote is expected tomorrow the next day, a vote is forth coming, a vote any day now, we will vote soon." I have been hearing this for so long.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Considering the overall elections across the country, including Mayor's races, I think the Democrats aren't doing as bad as they could (maybe even should) have.
    Mayor's races is a messy consideration, since Democrats have become the urban party, so they'll have more significant mayoralities.

They dominate the cities, including cities that have historically voted for Republicans.

This is as good an opportunity as any to mention someone many of you might not be aware of, but who you'll like: Mayor Joe Hogsett of Indianapolis, the 15th most populated city in the US.

He was a campaign manager for Evan Bayh in the 80s, and served as Secretary of State from 1989-1994.

He ran for Senate in '92 and lost.

He ran for the House in '94 to replace a retiring Democrat and lost. This was one of the best ever cycles ever for Republicans, so them's the brakes.

He became chairman of the Indiana Democratic party and ran for state attorney general in 2004, and lost.

There's a mistake in politics to penalize losing candidates, when it's often circumstances beyond their control, like Indiana becoming much more red. Parties should want the best candidates in every cycle, and blaming those brave enough to run in bad cycles for their losses is quite counterproductive, but many people do it.

He stayed active in politics, and was unanimously confirmed by the Senate to be US Attorney in Indiana.

He ran for mayor of Indianapolis in 2015, and won in a landslide 62% to 38%.

And he had better results when he ran for reelection in 2019.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Supreme Court appears likely to void New York's gun permit law

The Supreme Court appears inclined to wipe out a series of gun control measures that require firearm owners to show a particular, unusual need to get a permit to carry a gun outside the home.

During arguments Wednesday on New York state’s strict gun laws, the high court’s conservative majority signaled that it is likely to rule that the constitutional right to keep and bear arms precludes states from insisting that individuals show “proper cause” before being licensed to carry a firearm for self-defense.

The Republican-appointed justices contended that such rules treat Second Amendment rights as inferior to other constitutional rights like freedom of speech and freedom of assembly.
    Justice Samuel Alito offered some unique arguments against New York’s law, suggesting that it was rooted in racism against Irish and Italian immigrants who streamed into the state about a century ago. He also contended that the statute is effectively elitist because it is more difficult for typical citizens to get a concealed carry permit.

“There is the right to self-defense for celebrities and state judges and retired police officers, but pretty much not for the ordinary kind of people who have a real, felt need to carry a gun to protect themselves,” Alito said.
    Da hell is Alito talking about?

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Senate GOP blocks latest Dem push for voting reform

As expected. All the repeated attempts do is hopefully put pressure on Manchin and Sinema. They both know the GOP is trying to suppress minority votes anywhere they can. And the entire Texas state democratic delegation had to strategically flee to DC to put pressure on Congress to do something at the federal level.
    Oh, we know both of them aren't gonna do anything. Manchin is stuck in the "good ol' days" where being a Blue Dog is a good thing and not a sign you have your head up your ass and Sinema is a Republican in Democrat's clothing.

I get the fear that we need both of them cause we need their seats but... do we? If they're gonna be such assholes, caving in to every one of their demands is giving the Republicans all the power they could ask for when they don't have the seat advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    If people are paying attention they know the Biden administration is working to get those out who want to leave.
    And I think that should be broadcasted far and wide. A successful evacuation of the remaining Americans would help alleviate the sourness people feel about the initial evacuation. But there are people that don't even know there are citizens trying to make it back.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    I don't disagree.

That said, I understand progressives being skeptical about promises to revisit a subject later. The same thing happened with the stimulus package passed in February of 2009. That was intended to be part one of an overall recovery package designed to aide the flailing economy. Democrats never mobilized to do anything larger again. Given Manchin and Sinema's ever-changing list of demands, it seems that progressives worry they may not get anything at all once the infrastructure bill passes.

The whole thing could've been avoided if there had just been a little more intraparty trust. But there wasn't. And now here we are with a Republican taking the governor's mansion in Virginia. At the very least, Biden would probably be more popular today if he had a bill he could sign that was going to improve economic circumstances, roads, bridges, internet access, and provide jobs for people.
    It's unfortunate that the young, fresh faces in the party (AOC, etc.) are still depicted as outsiders from Pelosi's position of power. There's a disconnect and it goes back to what was said earlier about people wanting new energy, not the same old politics. Career politicians like Pelosi won't budge.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    While touting voter fraud conspiracy theories.
    Someone brought this to my attention earlier:
    https://spectrumnews1.com/wi/green-b...-commissioners

Racine County Sheriff sent criminal referrals to the prosecutor's office today for the Wisconsin Election Commissioners. Apparently the referrals are for 3 Democrat and 2 Republican commissioners. It says his office did an investigation but I don't know the details, something to do with nursing homes. Two felonies and three misdemeanors are listed.
    Last edited by JB; 11-03-2021 at 04:55 PM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

The racine county sheriff is nuts and a long standing nutter at that.

He previously refused to enforce stay at home orders, for example, so he's probably an oathkeeper/constitutional sheriff.

Here's a clerk on the matter:

https://twitter.com/badachie/status/1453806035295252489

https://twitter.com/badachie/status/1455993525737345035
    Last edited by Tendrin; 11-03-2021 at 07:57 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Joe Biden needs to call Chuck Schumer, Nancy Pelosi and other top Democrats into the Oval Office for a come to Jesus meeting ASAP. After the poor showing by Dems on Tuesday where the party lost Virginia, damn near lost New Jersey and came up short in other races, Biden has to stop being kindly Grandpa Joe, crack the goddamn whip and tell his subordinates to get their collective **** together and fight the GQP tooth and nail, or a worse outcome could befell the party in next year's midterms.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 11-04-2021 at 01:05 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!