Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    It’s not the Old Guard vs the New Guard. It’s Democracy vs the GOP.

I believe in progressive ideas as much as you do but constantly fomenting dissatisfaction with Biden and the party in general is helping the GOP by reinforcing the idea that neither party is worth voting for. At this critical time when the GOP is mobilizing with the intent to sabotage the electoral process we need everyone on board.
    And that's exactly why I'm even mentioning anything, after the very alarming performance at the polls this week. Just as some believe a fire needs to be started under Biden, I believe the same has to be lit under the voters and that, in my opinion, means looking at the reality of what we're dealing with. But I get it, to each their own.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Image Comics Staffers Form Union, Company Refuses To Voluntarily Recognize In New Statement

UPDATE 11/5: Image Comics has released a second statement about their employees forming a union, revealing they've chosen to not voluntarily recognize it and that a formal vote on its formation will take place. Had Image elected to voluntarily recognize the union then they likely would have gone into a mediation to work out the specifics. Since they've elected to force a vote on the matter it will require a majority of their employees to to cast a ballot in favor of the union's formation. Should that occur Image will be legally required to recognize the union. Their most recent statement reads:

"Earlier this week, the Communications Workers of America (CWA) filed a representation petition with the National Labor Relations Board asking to hold a secret-ballot election so that eligible members of the Image Comics office staff can determine if they want the CWA to represent them in their employment with Image. The NLRB is currently reviewing that petition to determine when that election will be held, where it will take place, and who can vote....Everyone at Image is committed to working through this process, and we are confident that the resolution to these efforts will have positive long-term benefits."
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    And that's exactly why I'm even mentioning anything, after the very alarming performance at the polls this week. Just as some believe a fire needs to be started under Biden, I believe the same has to be lit under the voters and that, in my opinion, means looking at the reality of what we're dealing with. But I get it, to each their own.
    I fail to see how moaning about Afghanistan or commenting about how “someone’s pulling Biden’s strings” is lighting a fire under voters. Unless you mean Republican voters.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

BANNED

Yeah it seems the economy will be up and running in time for the Midterms and the wind will be in the sails. That's what Krugman's been tweeting lately.

A union in the comic book industry is a dream as old and sacred as healthcare was until Obamacare. I am both pleased and anxious...I want this to happen, and yet I am also worried about how far this will go.

I fail to see how moaning about Afghanistan or commenting about how “someone’s pulling Biden’s strings” is lighting a fire under voters. Unless you mean Republican voters.
    Several posters were wondering why Virginia was lost and why NJ was so close. I'm offering some of the big issues that people are concerned with which led to these tight races. But as I said, to each their own and it's up to them if they want to understand why Dem voters don't seem to be coming out the way they should.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I personally prefer they take their time but posters are saying they need to hurry up, that's where my road block comment came from. In direct response to the call that they need to hurry.
    That's because people are worried about the midterms, and we have expectations of instant gratification, and we've forgotten how long it takes to get legislation passed. Obamacare wasn't passed in fifteen months, with a larger majority, and yet people are calling Biden's first six months a failure, because this equally huge bill has not passed???

Quote Originally Posted by Xheight View Post
    So who is writing this panic copy about delivering the bill? Getting it moving is one thing but the calendar is another and the Press knows that is a real question about reconciliation.
    The media and people who oppose the Dems and the bill. Also people worried about the midterms, the broken senate, voter suppression, the economy, and the Covid. It would help if people and the media took a more historical perspective and start pushing the positive, but people are worried. I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I do get that. But people kind of lose faith or quitting taking things seriously when Nancy P is on tv every day "We hope to vote today." Then the next day. "We hope to vote today or tomorrow." Then the next day "We are hoping by the end of the week."

If I had a Nickle for every time she said they were going to vote that day or the next I would have so much money AOC would want to take 60 percent of it in taxes.

Maybe if the media wouldn't ask Pelosi, and others, every single day, about the bill, she wouldn't have to say that. It's reported on 24 hour news every hour. Especially by Fox News and company who want to push a narrative of Dems in Disarray. I understand why voters are frustrated, because they had great expectations, without understanding exactly how the Congress runs and what the president could actually do. Of course, campaign promises didn't help, but the bottom line is we are moving forward, instead of way, way, way backwards under Trump and the Republicans. The Congressional Dems are trying to do their job and help people, instead of trying to kill democracy like the Republicans under Trump did.

I'm more concerned about the Dems messaging, taking the high road (especially Merritt Garland), the pernicious filibuster, and the non-movement on the Voting Rights bill, than I am about them passing the infrastructure bills -- those will get done, even if the sausage making gets messy.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    That's because people are worried about the midterms, and we have expectations of instant gratification, and we've forgotten how long it takes to get legislation passed. Obamacare wasn't passed in fifteen months, with a larger majority, and yet people are calling Biden's first six months a failure, because this equally huge bill has not passed???
    Fair points and I agree. People are understandably hungry for a big win.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Yeah it seems the economy will be up and running in time for the Midterms and the wind will be in the sails. That's what Krugman's been tweeting lately.
    Well, the economy might be in a good place, but it is unclear how Democrats outrun mid-term trends. Democrats famously lost 63 seats in 2010 by losing by just 6.8% in the popular vote. The House seats are worse now than they were then. Democrats probably need a three percent win in the popular vote to hold onto their majority.

Now, it is true voters were upset about the pace of the recovery in 2010 and felt, at the very least, like the ACA, which wouldn’t even kick in its primary benefits until 2013 to avoid huge ten year costs that would scare moderates, was a distraction and a road Democrats didn’t need to spend as much time on. Maybe Biden will be better able to marry his economic message with his programs. At the very least, Build Back Better polls better than the Affordable Care Act did.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Several posters were wondering why Virginia was lost and why NJ was so close. I'm offering some of the big issues that people are concerned with which led to these tight races. But as I said, to each their own and it's up to them if they want to understand why Dem voters don't seem to be coming out the way they should.
    So a big issue that led to the tight race is that Biden is having his strings pulled by someone else?
    No. What you’re doing is spreading conspiracy BS to erode support in the administration. If you believe it’s really “to each their own” you should keep you’re BS to yourself and stop trying to negatively influence Democratic voters.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 11-05-2021 at 04:19 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

BANNED

I think VA lost the election because McAuliffe screwed up. This was a close election and it's becoming clear that it came down to the final weeks. McAuliffe underestimated Youngkin, became complacent, and didn't do enough to appeal to VA voters, he didn't tout up the achievements of Northam's government, he didn't forcefully debunk the CRT nonsense, and he basically acted as if his opponent was Trump who wasn't on ballot.

I think the reason McAuliffe lost and Murphy won is that Murphy was a better candidate and ran a better campaign. That's what it comes down to.

So a big issue that led to the tight race is that Biden is having his strings pulled by someone else?
    No. What you’re doing is spreading conspiracy BS to erode support in the administration. If you believe it’s really “to each their own” you should keep you’re BS to yourself and stop trying to negatively influence Democratic voters.
    The strings pulled comment was in response to someone suggesting Biden is a "lackey of the Democratic Party or a figurehead." I agree with that and I'm allowed to agree with that. The concern was why aren't D voters showing up the way that was expected and it's waning confidence in the party. Am I supposed to pretend that's not true and hope it simply goes away because someone might get triggered for mentioning it? Gather your balls, dude.
    The indictment is real, people wanting to return from Afghanistan is real, and divided House Dems are real. Those elections this week shouldn't have been so tight and if you feel you know why they were, I'm all ears.

EDIT: 20 Dems just decided to abstain from voting on HR 774 and the nay's took it. It's lunacy.
    Last edited by JB; 11-05-2021 at 04:32 PM.

my aunt always goes on about Biden being a figure head. If there are people pulling the strings they are doing a shitty job. The people pulling the strings put forth a bill that can get passed and has been gutted. So the real power cant get anything done? What kind of power are they?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

The strings pulled comment was in response to someone suggesting Biden is a "lackey of the Democratic Party or a figurehead." I agree with that and I'm allowed to agree with that. The concern was why aren't D voters showing up the way that was expected and it's waning confidence in the party. Am I supposed to pretend that's not true and hope it simply goes away because someone might get triggered for mentioning it? Gather your balls, dude.
    The indictment is real, people wanting to return from Afghanistan is real, and divided House Dems are real. Those elections this week shouldn't have been so tight and if you feel you know why they were, I'm all ears.

EDIT: 20 Dems just decided to abstain from voting on HR 774 and the nay's took it. It's lunacy.
    20 Dems sitting out says everything. They are always going to have enough votes that are problematic to avoid doing anything big that corporations feel isn't loaded in their favor. Every time. Doesn't matter if there is a super majority or not. There will always be an excuse because the Dems pride themselves on being a big tent party and have been chasing moderate Republicans for 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    my aunt always goes on about Biden being a figure head. If there are people pulling the strings they are doing a shitty job. The people pulling the strings put forth a bill that can get passed and has been gutted. So the real power cant get anything done? What kind of power are they?
    Republicans or Democrats, who is more likely to have their strings pulled? I'd argue Republicans, considering how Trump stirred up a mob to attack the Capitol, and how some of the Republicans in Congress that day, first condemned the attack, then went down to Florida only to come back singing a new tune.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.